Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000)

Jackson Barbell Plates?

Has anyone heard of a Jackson barbell plate? I picked up four today used. They are Olympic plates, that someone pressed a reducer into. I thought they looked very old so I bought them. I Google'd jackson weight but a whole lot of Michael Jackson crud popped up.
    Last edited by donforeman; 06-09-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There's a bit of info out there if you Google "jackson barbell".
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm a big fan of the jacksons, in my mind you have just picked up the holy grail of vintage weight plates. Good find. We have never had them over in the UK so I am unlikely to ever own any.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    They are old. Andy Jackson manufactured olympic barbells in his basement in Springfield, NJ and had plates made in Erie, PA (?). He closed shop around 1971, and made, and sold barbell equipment from the late 40's until he closed. They are highly collectable.

For more information join http://www.ironhistory.com/ and use their search.

Nice find, repped.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

[]---[] Equipment Crew #42 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #18 ()---()

cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by donforeman View Post
    Has anyone heard of a Jackson barbell plate? I picked up four today used. They are Olympic plates, that someone pressed a reducer into. I thought they looked very old so I bought them. I Google'd jackson weight but a whole lot of Michael Jackson crud popped up.
    Andy Jackson of Jackson Barbell. They are in a class of their own. Andy Jackson was an amazing man and ran a one-man operation out of his home, making the best plates and bars anywhere from the 1930's until the 1970's (IIRC), with only a break in the 1940's to serve in the military during WWII.

If you sell them, you will be handsomely rewarded. PM me if you need some assistance or advice. And, no, I don't collect these or want to buy them.
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thank you all for the information! If a local Fire Dept cleans out their weight room for the 1st time in fifty plus years then there may be more of these waiting for you! There was a lot of York 1 1/8" stuff and other old brands in 1", but these were the only Jackson's I could find.

ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thank you all for the information! If a local Fire Dept cleans out their weight room for the 1st time in fifty plus years then there may be more of these waiting for you! There was a lot of York 1 1/8" stuff and other old brands in 1", but these were the only Jackson's I could find.
    Quite simply, you hit the jackpot.

Just in case it wasn't clear I was after information and I found it thanks to a few very helpful members. There was in no way a "for sale" ever mentioned, but thanks for all the Pms! My plan is to restore the plates as much as possible just for display. They are stamped "Ford." I'm going to leave that as is. I guess the firemen would bring their own weights from home to the fire house for everyone to use and they would stamp them with the persons last name.
    I plan on very carefully removing the adapters (even though I only use 1" plates) and then figuring out how to best remove the gloss black paint. Does anyone have an older ad? I was trying to figure out if the letters of this style was painted white like the style listed in the later ad? To me a flat black with white letters would look the coolest.

twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Just in case it wasn't clear I was after information and I found it thanks to a few very helpful members. There was in no way a "for sale" ever mentioned, but thanks for all the Pms! My plan is to restore the plates as much as possible just for display. They are stamped "Ford." I'm going to leave that as is. I guess the firemen would bring their own weights from home to the fire house for everyone to use and they would stamp them with the persons last name.
    I plan on very carefully removing the adapters (even though I only use 1" plates) and then figuring out how to best remove the gloss black paint. Does anyone have an older ad? I was trying to figure out if the letters of this style was painted white like the style listed in the later ad? To me a flat black with white letters would look the coolest.
    Hey Don,

If you really want info on those plates and restoring them, you should go to the IH site that I listed above. The guys there really know there stuff and a bunch of them knew Andy Jackson personally.

Good luck.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

snowone is on a distinguished road. (+10) snowone is on a distinguished road. (+10) snowone is on a distinguished road. (+10) snowone is on a distinguished road. (+10) snowone is on a distinguished road. (+10) snowone is on a distinguished road. (+10) snowone is on a distinguished road. (+10) snowone is on a distinguished road. (+10) snowone is on a distinguished road. (+10) snowone is on a distinguished road. (+10) snowone is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Any Jackson only paint them black. The letters being painted were likely done by the owner.

Before you pull the spacer I'd measure the bigger hole. Andy made many sizes. My guess is these came from his #5 or #6 set, which were smaller than two inch.

snowone is on a distinguished road. (+10) snowone is on a distinguished road. (+10) snowone is on a distinguished road. (+10) snowone is on a distinguished road. (+10) snowone is on a distinguished road. (+10) snowone is on a distinguished road. (+10) snowone is on a distinguished road. (+10) snowone is on a distinguished road. (+10) snowone is on a distinguished road. (+10) snowone is on a distinguished road. (+10) snowone is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you decide to bore out the hole to two inch you will completely devalue them.

Originally Posted by snowone View Post
    If you decide to bore out the hole to two inch you will completely devalue them.
    Who said anything about boring them out? What I do know is the plates had the adapter added to fit the other 1" bars they had. The guy that sold them to me did it. Once the adapter is removed then I can either make a cleaner adapter to fit my 1" stuff or leave them as is for display. Like I said before I don't own an Olympic bar, just Ivanko 1 1/16th stuff. Thank you for the information and color tips.

Who said anything about boring them out? What I do know is the plates had the adapter added to fit the other 1" bars they had. The guy that sold them to me did it. Once the adapter is removed then I can either make a cleaner adapter to fit my 1" stuff or leave them as is for display. Like I said before I don't own an Olympic bar, just Ivanko 1 1/16th stuff. Thank you for the information and color tips.
    My mistake. I thought you wanted them for a 2" bar. I just wanted to warn you about Jackson's odd sizes below 2" before removing the spacer then finding out. But it sounds like you have it under control.

Originally Posted by twodog View Post

For more information join http://www.ironhistory.com/ and use their search.

Nice find, repped.
    That forum sucks! I registered a few weeks ago on your recommendation, but after registering it said they had to approve my account (yes I verified my email). No problem... well I never got approved and in fact this morning I checked they in fact deleted my account. Who ever is in charge over there needs to get some sense!

ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    That forum sucks! I registered a few weeks ago on your recommendation, but after registering it said they had to approve my account (yes I verified my email). No problem... well I never got approved and in fact this morning I checked they in fact deleted my account. Who ever is in charge over there needs to get some sense!
    Agreed. It is like they do not want any more members. They approved my membership but now you have to post 100 times or something crazy before you can even see the equipment forum. It is pointless to me.

Thanks for the information, sounds like they are happy with the members they have. I wouldn't have even bothered resubmitting my registration this morning if I had known that BS.

ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks for the information, sounds like they are happy with the members they have. I wouldn't have even bothered resubmitting my registration this morning if I had known that BS.
    From what I have heard they have been getting bombarded with new members looking for pricing and information on old plates. They are not really interested in helping out people they do not consider one of their own. I can kind of see their point, but the way they handled it leaves a lot to be desired.

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ndmike99 View Post
    From what I have heard they have been getting bombarded with new members looking for pricing and information on old plates. They are not really interested in helping out people they do not consider one of their own. I can kind of see their point, but the way they handled it leaves a lot to be desired.

Eventually, they'll have an echo chamber of a forum. Not sure what the deal is over there, I never bothered to go over there....now I guess I don't really care that I didn't. I mean, some of the nonsense threads that get started here drive me nuts, but if you don't allow new blood you'll always just be bouncing around the new information. There are a few guys here that have come in the last year that are really smart and offer a lot to the forum....what would this place be if bb.com allowed our mods to be elitist and we kept those new posters out?

Screw IH....unless of course they pm me and let me in....then I say lock it down .
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Wow, nice find! Enjoy them beauties. I scour my local Craigslist all the time for Olympic weights, but can never find any cool stuff like this..

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    As far as gym equipment forums go this place is about the best I have come across. The 'gym pics' section alone is enough reason to come here. When I first joined I spent ages going through all of the pics perving on other guys equipment (nohomo).
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

Sorry that it doesn't do what you need, I enjoy the forum as does a bunch of guys from here.

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by twodog View Post
    Sorry that it doesn't do what you need, I enjoy the forum as does a bunch of guys from here.

Did you read his post thoroughly? He's not critiquing the IH forum, he's saying it sucks because they denied him access. Its great that you enjoy it, but you're already a member. They've apparently put the lock down on new members and don't wish to help anyone learn anything. There may very well be more to the story, this is the first I've heard of it, but that's all he was saying.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

Originally Posted by Keetman View Post
    He's not critiquing the IH forum, he's saying it sucks because they denied him access.
    No that's it! Registration is a no brainier and I verified my email. Now Ive done both twice, although I would not have bothered to re-submit if I had known about the Nazi "100 post" before you can see the equipment forums, etc!

Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I recently joined.. I believe the 100 post count is set only for one section and because it includes a b/s/t.. Buy sell trade. In the past there had been problems with people signing up and immediately selling and causing drama.
    ▪██─────██▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #3 ▪██─────██▪

○---○ [[[[-----]]]] York Barbell Crew #52 [[[[-----]]]] ○---○
    ( DD Crew, Globes, Kg's, + )

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #45 ▪█─────█▪

~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ProtienandIron View Post
    As far as gym equipment forums go this place is about the best I have come across. The 'gym pics' section alone is enough reason to come here. When I first joined I spent ages going through all of the pics perving on other guys equipment (nohomo).
    This ^^^

I've ventured into a couple of the other sections here, but quickly realized I was in over my head. I think I'll just stay in the equipment forum.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The IH rules clearly state that if you don't introduce yourself in the first 30 days, your account gets deleted. (No, I'm not an IH member, the owner/mod sounds like an a$$hat).

hypertek will become famous soon enough. (+50) hypertek will become famous soon enough. (+50) hypertek will become famous soon enough. (+50) hypertek will become famous soon enough. (+50) hypertek will become famous soon enough. (+50) hypertek will become famous soon enough. (+50) hypertek will become famous soon enough. (+50) hypertek will become famous soon enough. (+50) hypertek will become famous soon enough. (+50) hypertek will become famous soon enough. (+50) hypertek will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    would be nice to have an all in one community to help distinguish plates when you come across used ones. I guess just post on this site since there are alot of knowledgeable guys here.

ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by hypertek View Post
    would be nice to have an all in one community to help distinguish plates when you come across used ones. I guess just post on this site since there are alot of knowledgeable guys here.
    It is nice to have that. This site is very helpful, as is the Iron History site. The owner of Iron History is a pretty serious student of the game and only recently implemented the '100 posts for access to the equipment forum' rule in an attempt to prevent folks from using the site as an equipment price reference site only. And of course, the Iron Exchange is the most active of all the board sub-forums. The Owner is attempting to create stable community of regular members. This is a good idea but can be somewhat difficult to attain. Like someone mentioned earlier, these things have a tendency to become somewhat insular. Still, there is a lot to learn and it is a great resource, as long as you participate.

Originally Posted by daniel327 View Post
    The IH rules clearly state that if you don't introduce yourself in the first 30 days, your account gets deleted. (No, I'm not an IH member, the owner/mod sounds like an a$$hat).
    Yes and that's really hard to do when your not allowed to POST because the admin hasn't approved your membership!!!