Registered User lightsunglasses's Avatar
    lightsunglasses has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lifting weights on Keto

I'm going into my 3rd week of Keto, eating under maintenance calories and working out with weights; attempting to cut down on some body fat.

But my question is, I understand lifting weights to help the body maintain muscle while cutting, and I have also heard it is not reasonable to build bigger muscles while cutting. Does that mean during my weight lifting sessions I don't necessarily need to strain and push myself 100%? If lifting weights is just trying to maintain muscles, is it okay to maybe lift less weight or do less sets?

urbanlamb will become famous soon enough. (+50) urbanlamb will become famous soon enough. (+50) urbanlamb will become famous soon enough. (+50) urbanlamb will become famous soon enough. (+50) urbanlamb will become famous soon enough. (+50) urbanlamb will become famous soon enough. (+50) urbanlamb will become famous soon enough. (+50) urbanlamb will become famous soon enough. (+50) urbanlamb will become famous soon enough. (+50) urbanlamb will become famous soon enough. (+50) urbanlamb will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good question...but why be mediocre when you can do your best? Why do you think it not reasonable to build bigger muscles while cutting? I'd say give 100% all of the time.
    ~Whatever you do today, do it a little harder, a little faster, and a little better than yesterday~
    ~Weight lost so far...52 pounds~
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145533131&p=896417851#post896417851

nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by lightsunglasses View Post
    I'm going into my 3rd week of Keto, eating under maintenance calories and working out with weights; attempting to cut down on some body fat.

But my question is, I understand lifting weights to help the body maintain muscle while cutting, and I have also heard it is not reasonable to build bigger muscles while cutting. Does that mean during my weight lifting sessions I don't necessarily need to strain and push myself 100%? If lifting weights is just trying to maintain muscles, is it okay to maybe lift less weight or do less sets?
    Do not drop weight or sets. It took the weight you are lifting to give you that muscle so you must lift that weight to keep that muscle. That's my theory anyway I push to increase weight or reps every week
    No Grain...No Pain... Gluten free since 2007

Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    According to Lyle McDonald, when you're cutting, lift heavy, lift hard. You can lower the number of sets, but don't lower the intensity. You need to keep trying to force the muscle to grow.

Minabud is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minabud is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minabud is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minabud is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minabud is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minabud is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minabud is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minabud is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minabud is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minabud is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minabud is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've been on Keto for about 5 months, I lift heavier every week. I am actually getting stronger every week (it's awesome!)

Like the lady said above, why be mediocre, when you can be great.

z_serge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) z_serge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by lightsunglasses View Post

There is no magic in keto diet. Just like on any deficit diet - the muscle will be the first thing to go if they are not stressed enough.
    You will have to FIGHT to keep your muscle while cutting by continue lifting heavy and getting even stronger.
    If you are still in the begginer zone - you can even gain some by continuing to increase your lifts.
    "Some people train to look pretty. I train to be strong... But I'm already pretty" - Magnus Samuelsson

Registered User lightsunglasses's Avatar
    lightsunglasses has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Alright, thanks for the tips guys. I'll try to keep lifting heavy.

annasthetics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) annasthetics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) annasthetics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) annasthetics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) annasthetics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) annasthetics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) annasthetics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) annasthetics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) annasthetics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) annasthetics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) annasthetics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    being on keto feels horrible

Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by annasthetics View Post
    being red feels horrible
    Fixed.

jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Blackjack68 View Post
    According to Lyle McDonald, when you're cutting, lift heavy, lift hard. You can lower the number of sets, but don't lower the intensity. You need to keep trying to force the muscle to grow.
    This.

His advice applies on any diet. You have to fight to keep that hard earned muscle. Lowering total volume is smart though, especially on keto.