greerjc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Whey Protein Versus Specific Supplements

I'm new to fitness and muscle gain and I had a couple questions that I'd appreciate help with from anyone who knows more about supplements to aid in lean muscle gain and weight loss. First I'll explain my situation, I'm 6'1" and weigh 248 lbs. I'm muscular but my main problem is my gut, which has a slight overhang that I'm very self concious about. I've heard that adding lean muscle is the best way to lose weight because more lean muscle means the body needs to use more calories to sustain the muscle. So I'm trying to lose weight and gain lean muscle mass at the same time.

1. I was wondering what peoples opinions were to using a whey protein shake or supplement versus using specific supplements were. I'm currently using "Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein" powder (the cheap kind you can get at Kroger) after my workouts as well as fish oil supplements each day, and was looking into adding amino acids like L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, and L-Valine. What I realized before I purchased any of those amino acids was that my protein powder includes those three amino acids along with about 15 others in various mg's.

2. If that answer to 1. is that I should use regular supplements either in addition to the protein powder or by themselves, which supplements would you recommend? As mentioned before, I was looking at L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, and L-Valine because of their protein synthesis qualities (if I'm right from what I've read...admittedly I'm a beginner). But are those right choices for weight loss and lean muscle growth? And what other supplements should I look into?

Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated since I'm to the point of doing anything to improve my look and toning up. Thanks in advance for any advice given.

qksc2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) qksc2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) qksc2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) qksc2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) qksc2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) qksc2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) qksc2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) qksc2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) qksc2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) qksc2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) qksc2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    nutrition forum. stickies. you need to learn about a good diet first.

fortes fortuna adiuvat itzDodge's Avatar
    itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The aminos listed on the nutrition panel are within the protein chains and not free form. The free form aminos you buy in a BCAA product are absorbed much more quickly and these products do have their benefits. However it is apparent you have just begin and you really don't need any supplements other then some whey. Your body will change dramatically once you get your training and diet set out appropriately. I used to be in your position(feel free to check my progress pics) and spent way too much money on supplements I began. I saw progress but invested too much into the supplements, once I got my training and diet checked out I saw major improvements.
    NSCA CSCS

Online Coach and Brofessor
    http://www.biggerfastersmarter.com/

underdog2987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) underdog2987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) underdog2987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) underdog2987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) underdog2987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) underdog2987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) underdog2987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) underdog2987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) underdog2987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) underdog2987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) underdog2987 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What do you mean by specific Supplements? Whey is probably the corner stone of supplements. So using that is almost a no brainer.

greerjc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks everyone for the tips...and awesome improvement Dodge. Seems as though I am in the same boat you were for sure. Kind of gives me even more motivation that you got to your first "after" pic in 8 months. For now I'll focus on my diet and workout routine.