Thread: Wow...I'm weak!

newb123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) newb123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) newb123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) newb123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) newb123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) newb123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) newb123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) newb123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) newb123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) newb123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) newb123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Wow...I'm weak!

I'm not a big guy by any means, but starting out, I can barely do benchpress with the barbell and the lowest weights possible. I can barely lift it up! Is this how it is for beginners or is there something I can do to improve in this area?

JayPSlugger will become famous soon enough. (+50) JayPSlugger will become famous soon enough. (+50) JayPSlugger will become famous soon enough. (+50) JayPSlugger will become famous soon enough. (+50) JayPSlugger will become famous soon enough. (+50) JayPSlugger will become famous soon enough. (+50) JayPSlugger will become famous soon enough. (+50) JayPSlugger will become famous soon enough. (+50) JayPSlugger will become famous soon enough. (+50) JayPSlugger will become famous soon enough. (+50) JayPSlugger will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by newb123 View Post
    I'm not a big guy by any means, but starting out, I can barely do benchpress with the barbell and the lowest weights possible. I can barely lift it up! Is this how it is for beginners or is there something I can do to improve in this area?
    Everyone is different. Some people are naturally stronger than others, but anyone can improve his/her strength.

Try a very basic routine for the first 3 months and remember that consistency is the key.
    "A man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man"- Don Vito Corleone

xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JayPSlugger View Post
    Everyone is different. Some people are naturally stronger than others, but anyone can improve his/her strength.

Try a very basic routine for the first 3 months and remember that consistency is the key.
    This. Heavy is relative. We all start with low weights. If you cannot bench press the bar, start with push ups, Dumbbell bench presses. Work your way up slowly

Just be consistent and before you know it you will be benching 135, then 225, then 315
    Type 1 Diabetic - Since age 15
    Luke 1:37 "For NOTHING is impossible with God"

INSTAGRAM: StevenGFH Follow me!

*ALLMAX NUTRITION REP*

ALLMAX Nutrition, Inc.
    SCIENCE - INNOVATION - QUALITY - RESULTS
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/all/all.htm

Disclaimer: All forum or bulletin board posts are solely the opinion of myself and do not necessarily reflect the views of ALLMAX

nvmyrx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just stick to light basic movements like push-ups, dumb-bell press etc but remember when your starting out its a good time to get in the habit of training everything properly especially back- allot of upper body development is built on a good back foundation - I see tons of people over focus their time just on chest and they end up going no-where - good luck with your training

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    I can barely lift it up!
    Oh noes!

is there something I can do to improve in this area?
    Yes! Keep lifting, and adding weight!

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Then get strong.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

screenguardguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) screenguardguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) screenguardguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) screenguardguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) screenguardguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) screenguardguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) screenguardguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) screenguardguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) screenguardguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) screenguardguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) screenguardguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Try and get a spotter to watch you, sometimes it's about confidence. That said you might just need to build up some strength. You can do benchpress with just the bar to build up technique, and you can also do chest flyes and dumbbell presses initially. I no longer do bench presses because of a wrist injury that's still recovering, but just push ups and dumbbell presses are pretty good. There are also a ton of machines which can allow you to build up your strength. In particular the smith machine.
    Go big, or go home.

SpitBlackwood will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpitBlackwood will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpitBlackwood will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpitBlackwood will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpitBlackwood will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpitBlackwood will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpitBlackwood will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpitBlackwood will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpitBlackwood will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpitBlackwood will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpitBlackwood will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    With big bar exercises, you'll tend to improve very quickly at first because you'll figure out the proper technique. Don't feel bad because you can't do much right now - it's probably mostly a technique thing more than your strength. Just keep doing it and as you figure it out, it'll become easier and easier. Give it a few months and you'll be benching your girlfriend.