Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    hesselingj is on a distinguished road. (+10) hesselingj is on a distinguished road. (+10) hesselingj is on a distinguished road. (+10) hesselingj is on a distinguished road. (+10) hesselingj is on a distinguished road. (+10) hesselingj is on a distinguished road. (+10) hesselingj is on a distinguished road. (+10) hesselingj is on a distinguished road. (+10) hesselingj is on a distinguished road. (+10) hesselingj is on a distinguished road. (+10) hesselingj is on a distinguished road. (+10)

5/3/1 + SNS Focus XT - hesselingj

Overview

I’ve already begun a variation of 5/3/1 and completed my first week. I’ll be recording for at least the first cycle and likely the second (4-8 weeks) and recording my progress as well as any pertinent factors that relate to my progress.

Background

I was always an athlete when I was younger but never treated seriously the idea of taking care of my body in general. Late in high school I began to do this by lifting and eating healthier but without any true direction. There was no methodology to my approach until I entered college and met some guys that were nice enough to help me out and motivate me to take it more seriously. Here are the programs I’ve tried since then:

Variations of 5x5 strength training
    Westside
    Starting Strength
    4x8 variation

My goals for the first cycle and beyond

Continue my progress coming from 4x8 and fuel my body optimally to maintain muscle gains without gaining fat. My four main lifts will be military press, deadlift, bench press, and squat; done on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday (in order). I’ll also typically be doing some kind of cardio on Wednesdays and Saturdays as prescribed by a typical 5/3/1 program. This log will be run with SNS’ Focus XT pre-workout. I’ll try to include as much as I can as to how it helps me throughout my workouts. You can view the nutritional profile of Focus XT on SNS' website or on jhouser's log of it, which you should also check out
    Focus XT is made up mostly of nootropics as well as some caffeine, which results in a different approach to a pre-workout then most use. These nootropics are meant to increase mental focus and performance, helping with your lifts in a unique way.

Training Regimen

Each day will start with some static stretching and a main lift warm-up (1x5 @ 40%, 1x5 @ 50%, 1x3 @ 60%). As prescribed by the program, each main lift’s weight will be calculated according to a training max of 90% of my 1RM which I took the week prior to the beginning of the program. The rest of the regimen will go as follows (keep in mind I’ve already completed my first week):

Here is the first week

Monday
    Standing Military Press
    Training max: 120 lbs.
    1x5x(65%xT1RM)
    1x5x(75%xT1RM)
    1x5x(85%xT1RM)+1*
    Dips – 5x15
    Chin-ups – 5x8

Tuesday
    Deadlift
    Training max: 300 lbs.
    1x5x(65%xT1RM)
    1x5x(75%xT1RM)
    1x5x(85%xT1RM)+1*
    Good mornings – 5x12
    Hanging leg raise – 5x15

Thursday
    Bench Press
    Training max: 185 lbs.
    1x5x(65%xT1RM)
    1x5x(75%xT1RM)
    1x5x(85%xT1RM)+1*
    Dumbbell b.p. – 5x10
    Dumbbell row – 5x10

Friday
    Squat
    Training max: 230 lbs.
    1x5x(65%xT1RM)
    1x5x(75%xT1RM)
    1x5x(85%xT1RM)+1*
    Leg Press– 5x15
    Leg curl – 5x10

* = This “+1” set means that on top of the prescribed reps, I’ll be performing as many reps as I can, following those three. The program is very specific in pointing out not to go to complete “exhaustion”, but to go until you can no longer perform a rep with reasonably good form.

Week Two:

Week two will be comprised of the same thing, except my main lift sets will be at 70%, 80% and 90% for a 3x3 rep scheme. This is along with the +1 sets I described. This is also followed by the two accessory lifts at the prescribed rep scheme.

Week Three:

Week three, as you could guess, is the same as the previous two, however with the 5/3/1 implementation on the main lift. As follows:

75% x 5

85% x 3
    95% x 1 (+1)

All followed by the accessory lifts at the usual rep scheme.

Week Four:

Week four is a little different and for good reason. The main lift for each day goes like this:

40% x 5
    50% x 5
    60% x 5

Note that my last set on this week does not include a +1 set. This week is used as a deloading week, for the purpose of resting your body to get right back to it the very next week. The program is very emphatic on the time you need to rest your body, so that you don’t overwork it. Hence the 90% training max.

That concludes the cycle and basically the entire program. I’ll be reserving the ability to change the accessory lifts after each cycle if I see fit, but I haven’t had anything else in mind yet. I hope to be as helpful as I can with this program, which is why I was sure to set my maxes to be as representative as possible. Also to make sure to do it as “by the book” as possible. I’ll try to include some dieting strengths (or downfalls :/) and explain my feel for the day and my lifts as it goes. I’ll also include how my first week faired to be as thorough as possible.

Along with my accessory lifts, my main lifts went like this:

Monday: I hit all of my prescribed reps as well as 12 reps on my +1. Needless to say this was a good day for me.

Tuesday: I was a complete idiot and did my +1 rep at my true 1RM instead of my training one, so I hit 285x8 and immediately knew it wasn’t right. It was a sizeable +1 set and I felt proud…and stupid.

Thursday: For my +1 set of bench press I hit 155x10. This was a great day for me and I couldn’t have felt better about it. I’ve always struggled with this lift so this day was a great start.

Friday: I hit 9x195 for this set but it just didn’t feel that great. I had to lift at my dad’s house so it was difficult to focus, plus I had to skip my leg press due to lack of equipment.

Here are the supplements I’ll be taking throughout the program:

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Focus XT
    Micronized Creatine Capsules
    Vasolate Casein

jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Nice coding you've got there

I appreciate the shout out, too. I'm interested to see how 5/3/1 does for you. I think with your previous training it's the perfect step for you to get into heavier weights and acclimate your body to maximal efforts.

The Focus XT will also be extremely useful for schooling, as I've noticed in the past two weeks. Hopefully you'll like it as well as I do thus far.
    EAS Myoplex® Representative

► ********.com/easbrand/
    ► twitter.com/easbrand
    ► instagram.com/easbrand/

YOU’RE IN A CONSTANT STATE OF BECOMING SOMETHING BETTER, SOMETHING MORE.

SO ARE WE. | Products will that take you from keeping up to moving past.

I am not a medical professional and my posts do not constitute medical advice. Please consult your qualified health care provider before using any dietary supplement. Use EAS products only as directed.

hesselingj is on a distinguished road. (+10) hesselingj is on a distinguished road. (+10) hesselingj is on a distinguished road. (+10) hesselingj is on a distinguished road. (+10) hesselingj is on a distinguished road. (+10) hesselingj is on a distinguished road. (+10) hesselingj is on a distinguished road. (+10) hesselingj is on a distinguished road. (+10) hesselingj is on a distinguished road. (+10) hesselingj is on a distinguished road. (+10) hesselingj is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Monday, April 30, 2012

Standing Military Press
    Warm-up
    1x5x50
    1x5x60
    1x3x70

3x85
    3x95
    9x110

Dips: 5x10 (weighted 35 lbs.)
    Chin-ups: 5x8

Weight today: 172.6

I woke up this morning with a lot on my mind and to be perfectly honest, today was the worst day to start a new log. I woke up a little later than usual, took Focus XT and ran to the gym to wake up a little since I was a little more recently removed from my bed than usual. Once I got to the gym I left my phone alone, which I usually don’t do, and got to work. Warm-ups and working sets for military press felt great, and I felt genuinely focused, which was quite an achievement with what I could have been thinking about. I was particularly focused on my +1 set which helped me get the nine reps. This is a great number for me and I was happy. After that, I kind of went through the motions with my accessories, with little to explain as far as focus or lack thereof. Overall it was a solid workout and I left the gym fairly satisfied.

On a side note, I got my usual one gallon + of water in for the day and I’ll take 2000mg of micronize creatine before bed. This is less than the usual dosage but I’ve been taking this particular creatine for a while now and believe I’m saturated enough to only need to maintain it.

Until tomorrow

Thanks Houser, I'm really enthusiastic about this program, and I definitely believe that this is what I need to get used to the heavier weights again. You know that much of this log is thanks to you.

I'll also make sure to keep a tab on my general mental performance, as us college students can always use it.

Now North of Westside UncleWade's Avatar
    UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by hesselingj View Post
    I woke up this morning with a lot on my mind and to be perfectly honest, today was the worst day to start a new log. I woke up a little later than usual, took Focus XT and ran to the gym to wake up a little since I was a little more recently removed from my bed than usual. Once I got to the gym I left my phone alone, which I usually don’t do, and got to work. Warm-ups and working sets for military press felt great, and I felt genuinely focused, which was quite an achievement with what I could have been thinking about. I was particularly focused on my +1 set which helped me get the nine reps. This is a great number for me and I was happy. After that, I kind of went through the motions with my accessories, with little to explain as far as focus or lack thereof. Overall it was a solid workout and I left the gym fairly satisfied.
    Glad to see you crush some heavy weight and have a good focus through your working sets.

Going through the motions with your assistance exercises isn't something to shy away from with 5/3/1; because you're doing a lighter weight just to stimulate the muscles rather than destroy them, it's much easier to have a more lackadaisical mindset.

On a side note, I got my usual one gallon + of water in for the day and I’ll take 2000mg of micronize creatine before bed. This is less than the usual dosage but I’ve been taking this particular creatine for a while now and believe I’m saturated enough to only need to maintain it.
    Between 2-3g of creatine monohydrate should suffice to maintain saturation, so you're correct.
    NOV || Ohio Chapter || Be more, have less.

Powered by Ben & Jerry's.

jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    [center]

Until tomorrow
    Ditch the phone and reap the benefits of woman-free workouts

► ********.com/easbrand/
    ► twitter.com/easbrand

I am not a medical professional and my posts do not constitute medical advice. Please consult your qualified health care provider before using any dietary supplement. Use EAS products only as directed.

UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jhouser View Post
    Ditch the phone and reap the benefits of woman-free workouts
    Ditch the jhouser and reap the benefits of woman-free workouts.

Tuesday, May 1st, 2012

Deadlift
    Warm-up
    1x5x120
    1x5x150
    1x3x180

3x210
    3x240
    9x270

Good mornings: 5x15 (weighted 35 lbs.)
    Hanging Leg Raises: 5x8

Weight today: 177.6

Today’s workout was nothing worse than what my expectations could afford. I woke up, took my Focus XT and got ready to go to the gym. I was definitely tired before I got there as I had an especially warm night and I had woken up a few times throughout the night. By the time I got in and started my warm-ups Focus XT had begun to kick in and I started getting ready for my working sets. There was something about this morning that I felt particularly focused, and despite some pretty hilarious and distracting stuff going on at the gym (form shenanigans), I felt like I had tunnel vision every time I stepped up to the bar for my deadlifts. I hit 9 for 270 which is very close to last week’s and I was happy with that. I had to push really hard for the last two but they all felt good. Now that I feel like I’m writing a really boring book, I’ll conclude with saying that my accessories were definitely more taxing than the other days’ usually are because good mornings just add to the stress that deadlifts do enough of and hanging leg raises are just hard.

Supplementation:
    Focus XT
    O.N. Gold Whey
    MicroCreatine tonight

Thanks for checking it out
    Last edited by hesselingj; 05-01-2012 at 09:28 PM.
    "Nothing will destroy a lifter faster, or for longer, than ego." - Jim Wendler

Wade: That's definitely the point of the accessories, so I don't mind admitting it. Some of the days are harder than others in this respect as you'll see in today's log. I'm glad I got the creatine right, as I'm sure I would've been quickly corrected if I was wrong about that. The prescribed dosage is just a little ridiculous with the micronized creatine.

As for women-free workouts, I think I'll take those more often now
    And I think I'll pass on throwing jhouser under the bus at least this once. Thanks again for checking it out.

Wade: That's definitely the point of the accessories, so I don't mind admitting it. Some of the days are harder than others in this respect as you'll see in today's log. I'm glad I got the creatine right, as I'm sure I would've been quickly corrected if I was wrong about that. The prescribed dosage is just a little ridiculous with the micronized creatine.

As for women-free workouts, I think I'll take those more often now
    And I think I'll pass on throwing jhouser under the bus at least this once. Thanks again for checking it out.
    Glad to see Focus XT potentiated some more great focus effects for you - 10g of high-quality nootropic compounds should get the job done in that regard.

I also agree that some days' accessory lifts are significantly tougher. One that might be mentioned include good mornings (a very difficult movement to master, and also a high-stress movement) and, as you also mentioned, hanging leg raises. Things like pullups can also be very taxing when done with picture-perfect form.

As to the dosing of creatine, some bottles prescribe up to ~20g per day during loading stages and some sources even cite 3-5g before AND after training. Modern science tells us that's a flawed perspective. Typically 3-5g (at lower body weights, even 2g would be acceptable) per day, taken at your convenience is best. Science also tells us that cycling creatine is not necessary in healthy individuals, and that an insulin spike is not necessary for maximum absorption. It's amazing what you can learn when you look past the marketing.

Originally Posted by UncleWade View Post
    Ditch the jhouser and reap the benefits of woman-free workouts.
    lulz.

Tuesday, May 1st, 2012

DeadliftPress
    Warm-up
    1x5x120
    1x5x150
    1x3x180

3x210
    3x240
    9x270

Good mornings: 5x15 (weighted 35 lbs.)
    Hanging Leg Raises: 5x8

Weight today: 177.6
    Deadlift press, huh? Haha. Your weight is looking solid, gaining at a steady pace. And I like the deadlift numbers, too. I'll have to come around for a couple lifts during May while OSU is still in session and we can hit the weights together.

► ********.com/easbrand/
    ► twitter.com/easbrand

Originally Posted by UncleWade View Post
    Glad to see Focus XT potentiated some more great focus effects for you - 10g of high-quality nootropic compounds should get the job done in that regard.

I also agree that some days' accessory lifts are significantly tougher. One that might be mentioned include good mornings (a very difficult movement to master, and also a high-stress movement) and, as you also mentioned, hanging leg raises. Things like pullups can also be very taxing when done with picture-perfect form.

As to the dosing of creatine, some bottles prescribe up to ~20g per day during loading stages and some sources even cite 3-5g before AND after training. Modern science tells us that's a flawed perspective. Typically 3-5g (at lower body weights, even 2g would be acceptable) per day, taken at your convenience is best. Science also tells us that cycling creatine is not necessary in healthy individuals, and that an insulin spike is not necessary for maximum absorption. It's amazing what you can learn when you look past the marketing.
    Yeah with the nootropics I've found it hard to be able to explain the true advantages I've already experienced. It's difficult to be able to relate the feeling of simply having a sound mind.

Good mornings after deads are definitely one of the most taxing accessories I've encountered thus far. And as for the creatine supplementation, you're exactly right. They way creatine is marketed by the supp companies should be approached very skeptically. I might go up to 3g per day just to make sure, since it's really not that expensive anyway. Thanks for the tips Wade.

Originally Posted by jhouser View Post
    lulz.

Deadlift press, huh? Haha. Your weight is looking solid, gaining at a steady pace. And I like the deadlift numbers, too. I'll have to come around for a couple lifts during May while OSU is still in session and we can hit the weights together.
    Haha yes, deadlift press (editing now). I took your advice on the coding and forgot to double check my work apparently. As we've talked about before, I feel that it's really important for my weight to progress at a very specific pace in order to isolate muscle gains and minimize fat gains. I'm already seeing bigger numbers than I could have honestly hoped for this soon. You do need to come on over and we'll do some work. I've got a month-long window for you, unfortunately.

General note: I'll be doing just cardio tomorrow but I'll have a small post to outline my day with any relevant info.

You girls make me so proud.