deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000)

Can I hang a heavy bag from this?

It's a large, thick I-Beam that runs along the roof in my garage. That's my garage door opener motor by the way...

It runs the entire length of my house all along the basement ceiling...pretty much exactly center in my house.

If it matters, the house was built in 1949 and is a 2 story plus basement.

The bag, I would have to guess is at least 80 pounds...obviously due to the awkwardness of it, it's hard to tell, it could very well be 100 pounds. The only reason I'm reluctant to call it 100 for sure is because it doesn't seem as tall as some of the ones I see in pics, which I believe are "full-size" or 100-pounders.

--

Thanks.

TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000) TXBRASS is just really nice. (+1000)
    You could hang a Volkswagon from that I-beam with NO PROBLEM!!!

-!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #2 -!!!---!!!-

TXBRASS

"LIKE" us on ********: Get-a-Grip Personal Performance

Once you go RACK, you never go BACK.....

deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000)
    Lol ok thanks. I'll see if they have those c clamp looking hangers at my local sporting goods store. Or should I drill a hole and use a thick washer and eye bolt you think?

The whole idea would be to save money. It didn't come with any chains either so I guess I need those too.

Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000) Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000) Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000) Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000) Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000) Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000) Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000) Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000) Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000) Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000) Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by deapee View Post
    Lol ok thanks. I'll see if they have those c clamp looking hangers at my local sporting goods store. Or should I drill a hole and use a thick washer and eye bolt you think?

The whole idea would be to save money. It didn't come with any chains either so I guess I need those too.
    Just throw a chain over the whole beam and strap the bag up.

twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Armstrongha View Post
    Just throw a chain over the whole beam and strap the bag up.
    I agree with this statement, if you are worried about banging up the paint on the I beam, just put the chain inside of an old bicycle tube. Good luck.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

[]---[] Equipment Crew #42 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #18 ()---()

Ok thanks. I'll give it a go.

SnakeKeith is on a distinguished road. (+10) SnakeKeith is on a distinguished road. (+10) SnakeKeith is on a distinguished road. (+10) SnakeKeith is on a distinguished road. (+10) SnakeKeith is on a distinguished road. (+10) SnakeKeith is on a distinguished road. (+10) SnakeKeith is on a distinguished road. (+10) SnakeKeith is on a distinguished road. (+10) SnakeKeith is on a distinguished road. (+10) SnakeKeith is on a distinguished road. (+10) SnakeKeith is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I can't see there being a problem if you hang the heavy bag from the main beam of your house. The only issue I can imagine is noise and vibration -- that's just what happens when you hit a heavy bag that's hung from a beam. It could irritate your loved ones. I'd recommend hanging the thing via inner tube material to act as sort of a "shock absorber."

BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You sure can.

Try this suspension set-up...

The strand on the left has the chain anchored to the eye bolt. There is also a rubber strap S linked to the eye bolt. Let the chain hang down next to the strap, add a few inches of slack and then clamp the bottom S link (of the strap) into the chain.
    Now the bag can bounce but, you can also limit how far it travels and, even if the strap breaks, the chain is still holding everything up.
    I would reccomend doing this on both sides of the chain (unlike pictured) or adding an additional/stronger strap because when it bottoms out, it is LOUD!

As several have stated, it is REALLY LOUD when you have any harsh impact from the chain banging/tugging the structural beam so, this suspension helps to minimize that.

I'm probably redoing mine tommorrow and trying to add a pulley system (for plate loading) on there while I'm at it.

Hope this helps.

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good advice right there^^^.

OP, also have a look into heavy duty bag springs and swivels as they take a lot of the shock out of your anchor.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()