Rizzy1234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizzy1234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizzy1234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizzy1234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizzy1234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizzy1234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizzy1234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizzy1234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizzy1234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizzy1234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizzy1234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Do you think this prison workout plan has too much volume for a beginner?

Hey guys,

My brother created this plan for me, but because he is in prison, I can't just talk to him any time I want. So I'm curious to get ya'lls opinion. I'm a beginner trying to put on mass and everything I've read says go with heavy weights and low reps which this plan kind of seems high on the reps...

Push:
    Flat Press - 3x 12,10,10
    Incline Press - 4x 10
    Decline Fly - 3x 15,20,20
    Skull Crushers 3x 15
    Bench Dip - 4x Failure

Pull:
    Pullups - 4x Failure
    One Arm Rows - 3x 10
    Table Top Rows - 3x 20
    Chin Ups - 3x Failure
    Curl - 4x 10,15,20,20
    Preacher Curl - 3x 15
    Deadlift - 5x 5 - (For some reason he did not have this in the plan so I added it)

Legs:
    Squats w/ DB - 4x 20
    Lunges w/ DB - 3x 20
    Jumping Squats - 3x 10
    Wall Sits - 2x Failure

Thanks in advance...
    Last edited by Rizzy1234; 05-03-2012 at 02:52 PM.

mschubin is on a distinguished road. (+10) mschubin is on a distinguished road. (+10) mschubin is on a distinguished road. (+10) mschubin is on a distinguished road. (+10) mschubin is on a distinguished road. (+10) mschubin is on a distinguished road. (+10) mschubin is on a distinguished road. (+10) mschubin is on a distinguished road. (+10) mschubin is on a distinguished road. (+10) mschubin is on a distinguished road. (+10) mschubin is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Short answer, no, it doesn't look too difficult. Just start with a weight that you can handle through those sets. Gradually increase the weight over time. Eventually you can lower the reps, increase the sets and really add on the weight. You'll put on mass with this routine, as long as you're eating right. Good luck!

Rizzy1234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizzy1234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizzy1234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizzy1234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizzy1234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizzy1234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizzy1234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizzy1234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizzy1234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizzy1234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizzy1234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mschubin View Post
    Short answer, no, it doesn't look too difficult. Just start with a weight that you can handle through those sets. Gradually increase the weight over time. Eventually you can lower the reps, increase the sets and really add on the weight. You'll put on mass with this routine, as long as you're eating right. Good luck!
    Alright cool, appreciate it sir

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Rizzy1234 View Post
    Hey guys,

My brother created this plan for me, but because he is in prison, I can't just talk to him any time I want. So I'm curious to get ya'lls opinion. I'm a beginner trying to put on mass and everything I've read says go with heavy weights and low reps which this plan kind of seems high on the reps...

Push:
    Flat Press - 3x 12,10,10
    Incline Press - 4x 10
    Decline Fly - 3x 15,20,20
    Skull Crushers 3x 15
    Bench Dip - 4x Failure

Pull:
    Pullups - 4x Failure
    One Arm Rows - 3x 10
    Table Top Rows - 3x 20
    Chin Ups - 3x Failure
    Curl - 4x 10,15,20,20
    Preacher Curl - 3x 15
    Deadlift - 5x 5 - (For some reason he did not have this in the plan so I added it)

Legs:
    Squats w/ DB - 4x 20
    Lunges w/ DB - 3x 20
    Jumping Squats - 3x 10
    Wall Sits - 2x Failure

Thanks in advance...
    Take out bench dip for OHP, you have no shoulder lifts at all. Move your dead to the first lift on pull days, adding them in last is not a good thing as your back will be fatigued already.
    OG

Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You'll have to judge this for yourself by experience. For many beginners, this would be too much volume. But everyone is different....

BradKemp is a name known to all. (+5000) BradKemp is a name known to all. (+5000) BradKemp is a name known to all. (+5000) BradKemp is a name known to all. (+5000) BradKemp is a name known to all. (+5000) BradKemp is a name known to all. (+5000) BradKemp is a name known to all. (+5000) BradKemp is a name known to all. (+5000) BradKemp is a name known to all. (+5000) BradKemp is a name known to all. (+5000) BradKemp is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I know one thing.. if I was in prison I wouldn't be afraid of overtraining.

They key is your mindset bro.

If you think you can handle it then you will smash it.

jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    reps way too high imo

Originally Posted by Jasonk282 View Post
    Take out bench dip for OHP, you have no shoulder lifts at all. Move your dead to the first lift on pull days, adding them in last is not a good thing as your back will be fatigued already.
    Okay so remove Bench Dip for OHP, got it...

I've been doing Push - Mon, Pull - Wed and Legs - Friday... Should I alternate push pull weekly or bi weekly at all?

Originally Posted by jd2967 View Post
    reps way too high imo
    So maybe drop them down to the 8 rep range?

davesterrr is a name known to all. (+5000) davesterrr is a name known to all. (+5000) davesterrr is a name known to all. (+5000) davesterrr is a name known to all. (+5000) davesterrr is a name known to all. (+5000) davesterrr is a name known to all. (+5000) davesterrr is a name known to all. (+5000) davesterrr is a name known to all. (+5000) davesterrr is a name known to all. (+5000) davesterrr is a name known to all. (+5000) davesterrr is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm a beginner too and personally for me, your routine would burn me out too quick.
    I don't see how you can have any strength left for the major excercises if you do push or pull all on the same day.
    After doing deadlifts first since you need the most strength for it, how can you pull yourself up 4 sets to failure on pull ups and another 4 sets of failure to chin ups?
    My arms would feel like pudding by this time and you still not even half way through your work out yet.
    Same thing with heavy bench press then switching to military press, i would not have the strength for it.
    Personally i prefer push and pull on the same day dividing my strength individually but this is all up to you ofcourse.
    What works for you, stick to it.

Like i said: I'm a beginner and i don't have enough strength to do all of those exercises with those many sets and reps so if this works for you then by all means do it. Just add some shoulder workouts into it.

Here's my beginner routine i'm following incase this one is too heavy for you.

Real beginner routine:
    Monday- chest & triceps
    flat bench 4x8-8-6-6
    flys 4x-8-8-6-6
    dips 4 sets last 2 to failure
    standing barbel press behind neck 4x8-8-6-6
    weightless situps and lying knee raises for stomach

tuesday- back & biceps
    wide grip pull ups, 4 sets last 2 to failure or if you can't do these do the lat pull downs. 4x8 keep increasing weight after each set.
    bend over rowing with barbel or dumbbell if you want to go safe on your back. 4x8
    weightless back extensions
    standing barbel curls
    seated dumbbell curls or close grip chin ups.
    weightless situps and knee raises.

wednesday resting.

thursday - legs
    squats 4x15-15-12-12 i like to do higher reps less weight on this one.
    standing calf raises 4x15
    leg curls 3x10
    you can add more exercises like the leg press etc depending on how much strength you have left.
    weightless situp and knee raises

friday- shoulders and some biceps.
    military press 4x8-8-6-6
    lateral raises 4x8-8-6-6
    shrugs to failure
    standing barbel curls
    seated barbel curls
    situps and knee raises.

weekends off.

This is a beginner program which hits all the compound movements.
    The only bit of isolation exercises i put in are mostly for your arms.
    There's no deadlift in it because if you're a beginner who never worked out before, it's safer to train your back first before you start on the deadlifts.
    Even with low weight they can do injury if you do the last rep wrong or try to push yourself too hard and lose form and don't keep your back straight.
    After you build a stronger core, and get more conditioned to the gym and lifting weights you can add deadlifts and T bar rowing to your routine.

More advanced beginner program:

Monday- shoulder - back - arms.
    military press 4 sets
    lateral raises 4 sets
    wide grip pull ups or lat pull downs 4 sets
    bend over rows 4 sets
    shrugs to failure
    standing barbel raises behind neck or dips
    standing barbel curls
    situps and knee raises

This seem like a lot which to a beginner and it is but they start off with all push exercises, then pull. and all that's left are some arm exercises.
    All compound movements so you don't waste energy and strength doing isolation movements.
    Isolations are for what's for later. Right now you want to build the mass , so later you can shape and define it with the isolation movements to the way you want it.
    This way you save your strength instead of doing an all push exercise day because for me personally after bench press i find it hard to do military press for example.

Tuesday- legs - chest

squats
    standing calf raises
    leg curls
    leg press
    bench press
    flys
    situps and knee raises

You can add more movements into your chest routine if you got the energy for it such as incline to build your upper chest. Most people say to give legs only an individual day. This is up to you.

Wednesday - rest.

Thursday - shoulders - back - arms
    same as monday

friday - legs and chest.
    same as tuesday.

This routine you do all the compound movements and you hit each muscle group twice per week.
    If it's too heavy or you prefer legs day seperately then switch to monday shoulders and back. Tuesday chest and arms. Thursday legs. Friday shoulders and back or chest and arms again.
    Atleast this way you hit each muscle group once per week and you hit your shoulders and back or chest and arms twice a week which should get you a big upper body. You can switch it on and off.

Anyways this is just my beginners routine that i've been following.
    Don't take this advice as the best routine there is cuz it's not.
    Just showing what i've been doing.
    Like i said, i leave deadlifts out because my back is still weak since i'm a beginner.
    But if you like to train heavy then put it into your program and do what's best for you.

As most people will say on here: Stick to compound movements, bench, squat, deadlifts, pullups, dips, military press etc and you'll be fine.
    Definitely add some shoulder movements in your current routine and don't waste too much time doing isolations in the beginning fase.
    Eat a lot, make sure you get your right balance of carbs, protein and fats.
    Sleep well and most of all, stay consistent.
    Drink juice with whey protein straight after your work out cuz if you don't mix it with juice, the proteins will be converted into sugars.
    Keep going to the gym 3-4 times a week and within 3 months you will see great gains.
    Sorry for my long post.

TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000)
    Personally it seems like your average imadethisroutinemyself beginner plan. Whereas you will probably will be able to complete it each time, the rep numbers are very high and your pull day has too much going on there. You will make progress but increasing the weight you are lifting will probably be slow due to the volume.

Compounds (esp deadlifts) should be done at the start and isolation towards the end.

As mentioned you need a shoulder exercise, OHP is perfect.

Beginner gains are great, you don't need to do a massive amount for them. Efficiency and rest is more important.
    Tight lower back? Aching knees? Poor hip flexor mobility? Weak glutes?
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130876763

-=[Misc Scotch Crew]=-
    ***Misc Cigar Crew***
    ☆☆☆MISC BOXING CREW☆☆☆