DS29790bb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Finding a correct workout program

Hi there,

I am relatively new to weight-lifting. I got more serious about it last September-ish and started looking here and other places online for a workout program that will get me the results I need. So far, I've been going to the gym on-and-off since then, but am not sure I am doing things right.

Problem: I am overloaded with information and totally confused, to be honest. I have read the sticky threads and have browsed this website so many times, but really, I still don't know what it best for ME. There are so many programs, such as ones that have to do with weight loss, weight gain, big muscle building, etc. So with different goals and different start-up points, I am just confused.

And if I post a thread asking for advice, I get people saying to look at a sticky thread and to stop posting that type of crap. I need a workout program for ME, that considers MY goals and MY starting point (because I have some experience).

That being said, how do I find a workout program for me? I have so much info, but I have no idea what to do and what is right for me.

Thanks!

musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by DS29790bb View Post
    I need a workout program for ME, that considers MY goals and MY starting point (because I have some experience).
    !
    It would help if you actually listed YOUR goals and YOUR starting point.

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Well...WTF are your goals and your starting point, you never told us that.
    OG

TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I subscribe to the KISS principle...Keep It Simple Stupid! Whatever your goals, don't do some 30 set workout 5 days a week. Find a simple, easy to understand, workout that you can push yourself on. If you're a true beginner, look up Stronglifts 5x5. 3 days a week, simple exercises, and you add weight every week. Its a strength training program, but if you're a beginner, you'll add size as well (if your nutrition is in line).
    “The problem with many hypertrophy-based programs is that they leave out the strength component. You might get bigger as a result of the program, but if you don’t get any stronger you’re still a chump in my book. That’s right, I don’t care how big you are, if you aren’t strong you’re a sham. Having big muscles and no strength is the training equivalent of wearing a strap-on. All show and no go. End of story.” - Jim Wendler

5/3/1 blog - http://boringbutbig.tumblr.com

DS29790bb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well, my goals are to get a nice-looking, toned body....not looking to enter competitions or anything like that. Before lifting, I was 5'11 and about 152 pounds, so pretty skinny.

Since using the gym consistently for the past two months, I do this:

Day 1: Back/Biceps (2-3 exercises each, 3 sets of 5-12 reps until failure)
    Day 2: Chest/Shoulders/Triceps (2-3 exercises each, 3 sets of 5-12 reps til failure)
    Day 3: Legs/Abs (squats and deadlifts for legs; ab machine, crunches, and Roman curls for abs...3 sets of 5-12 reps til failure)

And I run as well. I'm a full-time college student with a job, so I can't be totally consistent with my schedule, but I try my best.

So basically, my goal is get a nice, good-looking body as opposed to my usual skinny self. I have seen some good progress so far in these two months, but I simply have no idea how much progress I should have made yet. Is this a fine program to stay on, or should I change things up?

musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by DS29790bb View Post
    Well, my goals are to get a nice-looking, toned body....not looking to enter competitions or anything like that. Before lifting, I was 5'11 and about 152 pounds, so pretty skinny.

Since using the gym consistently for the past two months, I do this:

Day 1: Back/Biceps (2-3 exercises each, 3 sets of 5-12 reps until failure)
    Day 2: Chest/Shoulders/Triceps (2-3 exercises each, 3 sets of 5-12 reps til failure)
    Day 3: Legs/Abs (squats and deadlifts for legs; ab machine, crunches, and Roman curls for abs...3 sets of 5-12 reps til failure)

And I run as well. I'm a full-time college student with a job, so I can't be totally consistent with my schedule, but I try my best.

So basically, my goal is get a nice, good-looking body as opposed to my usual skinny self. I have seen some good progress so far in these two months, but I simply have no idea how much progress I should have made yet. Is this a fine program to stay on, or should I change things up?
    Sounds like you don't want to be skinny anymore. Gaining weight is about how much you eat. You're routine will guide those calories to the right place but you aren't going to grow if you don't eat. Head over to the nutrition stickies and using Emma's formulas to figure out how much you should eat to gain. Then track what you eat for a few days. Adjust as necessary.
    Is that a fine program? Sure. but not for someone at your level. You can recover MUCH faster than one body part a week. I'd recommend a 3 day full body. Really any good beginners routine will have you hitting the muscles 2 or 3 times a week.

Look at AllPro's simple beginners routine and then look at Starting Strength. See which one you want to try. Hell, in a years time you could do both.
    Eat enough food. Get enough sleep. Don't be skinny anymore.

floydd247 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) floydd247 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) floydd247 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) floydd247 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by musikguy72 View Post
    Sounds like you don't want to be skinny anymore. Gaining weight is about how much you eat. You're routine will guide those calories to the right place but you aren't going to grow if you don't eat. Head over to the nutrition stickies and using Emma's formulas to figure out how much you should eat to gain. Then track what you eat for a few days. Adjust as necessary.
    Is that a fine program? Sure. but not for someone at your level. You can recover MUCH faster than one body part a week. I'd recommend a 3 day full body. Really any good beginners routine will have you hitting the muscles 2 or 3 times a week.

Look at AllPro's simple beginners routine and then look at Starting Strength. See which one you want to try. Hell, in a years time you could do both.
    Eat enough food. Get enough sleep. Don't be skinny anymore.
    Agree.

The reason people always tell you to go to the stickys is because even if you know a lot about lifting, at 5'11" 152 you are a beginner in muscle building. As a beginner the simple routines like AllPro's routine, Starting Strength, Stronglift will work great. You have to be consistent with any program you use. And you need to eat more I'd say, try to keep it clean, but just eat more.

If you don't like what people are telling you and you want a "program for you" then higher a trainer. It won't help, but at least maybe it will seem more like the "program is for you"

Just lift hard! There is no secret program
    "Never look down on anybody unless you are helping them up"