1stChanceToLose is a name known to all. (+5000) 1stChanceToLose is a name known to all. (+5000) 1stChanceToLose is a name known to all. (+5000) 1stChanceToLose is a name known to all. (+5000) 1stChanceToLose is a name known to all. (+5000) 1stChanceToLose is a name known to all. (+5000) 1stChanceToLose is a name known to all. (+5000) 1stChanceToLose is a name known to all. (+5000) 1stChanceToLose is a name known to all. (+5000) 1stChanceToLose is a name known to all. (+5000) 1stChanceToLose is a name known to all. (+5000)

Wide Grip Pullups hurting shoulders

When I do them I get this slight "pain" in the shoulders. I think my shoulders just may not be flexible enough. Anyways I've continued to do them and the pain is gone in the right shoulder but there's still a slight "click" in my left as I lower to the bottom. I want to keep doing wide grip so how can I fix this problem? Is it a matter of flexibility or weak rotator cuffs or something?

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Does a narrower grip than however wide you're doing, cause pain?

What is the reason for the insistence on performing wide grip?
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

1stChanceToLose is a name known to all. (+5000) 1stChanceToLose is a name known to all. (+5000) 1stChanceToLose is a name known to all. (+5000) 1stChanceToLose is a name known to all. (+5000) 1stChanceToLose is a name known to all. (+5000) 1stChanceToLose is a name known to all. (+5000) 1stChanceToLose is a name known to all. (+5000) 1stChanceToLose is a name known to all. (+5000) 1stChanceToLose is a name known to all. (+5000) 1stChanceToLose is a name known to all. (+5000) 1stChanceToLose is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post

slightly shoulder doesn't. and lol Idk, everyone seems to be doing wide grip, I'm assuming there's a reason. also just for variety. right now wide grip is my weakpoint and I want to get them up

renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50) renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50) renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50) renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50) renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50) renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50) renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50) renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50) renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50) renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50) renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50)

This of course. But, you could try doing rotator cuff stretches that may help.
    I wanna be the very best
    Like no one ever was
    To catch them is my real test
    To train them is my cause

I will travel across the land
    Searching far and wide
    Each Pokemon to understand
    The power that's inside

Team MuscleTech Rep MuscleTechMarc's Avatar
    MuscleTechMarc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechMarc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechMarc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechMarc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechMarc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechMarc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechMarc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechMarc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechMarc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechMarc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechMarc will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Close underhand grip could alleviate some of the pain depending on the source...

__r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You can solve almost all shoulder problems related to pull-ups, if you follow these two rules:

1. Keep your chest up all time. On the way up, lead with your chest and drive your elbows to the floor: Think about it as touching the bar with your chest.
    2. Squeeze your shoulder blades and keep your shoulders back. Focus on keeping them tight during the whole lift.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by 1stChanceToLose View Post
    slightly shoulder doesn't. and lol Idk, everyone seems to be doing wide grip, I'm assuming there's a reason. also just for variety. right now wide grip is my weakpoint and I want to get them up
    Going extra wide doesn't do much more for the lats themselves.

It reduces the role the arms can help (also shortens the rom) and emphasizes the teres muscles more.

For lat stimulation alone, pick a grip width that allows you to perform the exercise pain free.

Also, what ____r said.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    When I do them I get this slight "pain" in the shoulders. I think my shoulders just may not be flexible enough. Anyways I've continued to do them and the pain is gone in the right shoulder but there's still a slight "click" in my left as I lower to the bottom. I want to keep doing wide grip so how can I fix this problem? Is it a matter of flexibility or weak rotator cuffs or something?
    i think you should be more specific with "shoulder pain" are you talking anterior, posterior???
    it could be a number of things impingement, joint instability, crepitis in the joint
    if its on the eccentric portion im assuming your having post shoulder pain which could be overtraining the post delt, infraspinat and teres minor
    take a look at your shoulder training too, if your hammering post delts then you may impringe the Cuff tendons with the posterior capsule
    i would start doing some Y, T's, I's, and W's twice a week to increase stability of the Cuff muscles
    i get pain in the post shoulder during back sessions from overtraing the posterior delts during shoulder workouts
    and also what the other bros said with your form, chest up will reduce the strain on the shoulder

Originally Posted by __r View Post
    You can solve almost all shoulder problems related to pull-ups, if you follow these two rules:

1. Keep your chest up all time. On the way up, lead with your chest and drive your elbows to the floor: Think about it as touching the bar with your chest.
    2. Squeeze your shoulder blades and keep your shoulders back. Focus on keeping them tight during the whole lift.
    thx will try

Going extra wide doesn't do much more for the lats themselves.

It reduces the role the arms can help (also shortens the rom) and emphasizes the teres muscles more.

For lat stimulation alone, pick a grip width that allows you to perform the exercise pain free.

Also, what ____r said.
    thx

Originally Posted by braskibra View Post
    i think you should be more specific with "shoulder pain" are you talking anterior, posterior???
    it could be a number of things impingement, joint instability, crepitis in the joint
    if its on the eccentric portion im assuming your having post shoulder pain which could be overtraining the post delt, infraspinat and teres minor
    take a look at your shoulder training too, if your hammering post delts then you may impringe the Cuff tendons with the posterior capsule
    i would start doing some Y, T's, I's, and W's twice a week to increase stability of the Cuff muscles
    i get pain in the post shoulder during back sessions from overtraing the posterior delts during shoulder workouts
    and also what the other bros said with your form, chest up will reduce the strain on the shoulder
    thx, and the pain is in the anterior/lateral. if you look at this pic, the first one where the guy has his arm up like hes doing a pullup, it hurts right around there (red part closest to the traps). so with the arm down it would be anterior/close to medial

k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000)
    thx, and the pain is in the anterior/lateral. if you look at this pic, the first one where the guy has his arm up like hes doing a pullup, it hurts right around there (red part closest to the traps). so with the arm down it would be anterior/close to medial

likely form........I've been down that road with pain in the exact same place. Between Weighted Dips, weighted pullups, and flat bench I was messing my shoulders up. I cycled off all 3 for a while and re-incorporated them back into my routine with the exception of weighted dips. Again, as applied to me, it was form between these 3 moves moreso from flat bench but the other moves exaccerbated the issue.
    FWIW, I do chin ups more than pull ups nowadays and actually get more out of that movement for total lat (upper/lower) development.

This vid enlightened me (give it a watch):

StankyDrawz is not very helpful. (-500) StankyDrawz is not very helpful. (-500) StankyDrawz is not very helpful. (-500) StankyDrawz is not very helpful. (-500) StankyDrawz is not very helpful. (-500) StankyDrawz is not very helpful. (-500) StankyDrawz is not very helpful. (-500) StankyDrawz is not very helpful. (-500) StankyDrawz is not very helpful. (-500) StankyDrawz is not very helpful. (-500) StankyDrawz is not very helpful. (-500)
    This... Wide grip puts a lot of strain on the shoulders.

braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) braskibra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    your pain is on the front portion of your arm (anterior delt) ? thats surprising since the post. delt is under more stress during the eccentric portion of a pullup
    what type of pain was it? dull achy or sharp?
    does it hurt during any other movements?
    bicep tendon runs up the intertubercular sulcus and attaches on the supraglenoid tubercle in the shoulder could be bicep tendonitis (long head) do you do alot of curls with external rotation?
    or it could be impingement of the supraspinatus on the coracoacromial arch if the pain is on top of the shoulder but you would have other symptoms, painful arc, neer's impingment, positive hawkins kennedy test?

its hard to say really how often are you training shoulders and back whats your split its most likely has to do with either too much training, bad form, or too much weight
    Last edited by braskibra; 04-24-2012 at 05:07 PM.

WoIf is on a distinguished road. (+10) WoIf is on a distinguished road. (+10) WoIf is on a distinguished road. (+10) WoIf is on a distinguished road. (+10) WoIf is on a distinguished road. (+10) WoIf is on a distinguished road. (+10) WoIf is on a distinguished road. (+10) WoIf is on a distinguished road. (+10) WoIf is on a distinguished road. (+10) WoIf is on a distinguished road. (+10) WoIf is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It's a fairly common problem, your scapula is internally rotated on the side that is hurting.

Fixing it is a little tricky, but I'd start with something like Scarecrows.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by braskibra View Post
    your pain is on the front portion of your arm (anterior delt) ? thats surprising since the post. delt is under more stress during the eccentric portion of a pullup
    what type of pain was it?
    Or his posterior delt isn't working enough to keep the teres major/lats in tight connection to the arms.

It mainly sounds like something is not strong enough between the lats to the arms. I would just suggest not doing wide-grip 'til you're more familiar with pull-ups in general. No exercise is just ultimately better for any given context.

Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    Or his posterior delt isn't working enough to keep the teres major/lats in tight connection to the arms.

It mainly sounds like something is not strong enough between the lats to the arms. I would just suggest not doing wide-grip 'til you're more familiar with pull-ups in general. No exercise is just ultimately better for any given context.
    yeah its hard to pinpoint since hes complaining of anterior pain...
    muscular imbalance could def be an issue tho

RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100) RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100) RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100) RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100) RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100) RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100) RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100) RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100) RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100) RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100) RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100)
    From experience, I've noticed that wide-grip pullups don't do much for the lats as one might think. The notion that a wide grip will force the lats to grow wider is a myth. A better stretch and greater ROM can be achieved with close-grip pullups.

That said, if you're still experiencing shoulder problems you should look into rotator cuff and scapula alignment exercises. Take it real easy on them because you don't want to leave yourself SOL.

Deltoideus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Deltoideus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Deltoideus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Deltoideus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Deltoideus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Deltoideus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Deltoideus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Deltoideus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Deltoideus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Deltoideus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Deltoideus is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It's strange since pullups don't use these muscles, do you think they're getting impinged? Maybe just tight? Are you feeling it at the top (arms bent elbows to torso) or bottom (arms straight elbows to ears)

rushki is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rushki is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rushki is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rushki is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rushki is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rushki is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rushki is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rushki is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rushki is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rushki is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rushki is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    no DPT here and no idea why your anterior can hurt...

I would recc just doing a closer grip, and making sure elbow placement is proper, meaning in front of you; not crazy out to the sides.

Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Good info in here. If it hurts, stop doing it. Phuck everybody else is doing.

Registered User CheeseAndToaste's Avatar
    CheeseAndToaste is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CheeseAndToaste is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CheeseAndToaste is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CheeseAndToaste is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CheeseAndToaste is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CheeseAndToaste is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CheeseAndToaste is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CheeseAndToaste is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CheeseAndToaste is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CheeseAndToaste is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CheeseAndToaste is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    strong bump, but I'm having the same issues as OP if anyone can provide some help.

I don't do an extremely wide grip, more of a neutral-ish grip, but I do them weighted with +25lbs.
    My right shoulder hurts more than the left.
    Mod negged on 11/29/13 - Goodnight sweet greens :(
    I had a 2nd acct that is why I was negged.

Registered User CheeseAndToaste's Avatar
    CheeseAndToaste is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CheeseAndToaste is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CheeseAndToaste is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CheeseAndToaste is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CheeseAndToaste is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CheeseAndToaste is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CheeseAndToaste is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CheeseAndToaste is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CheeseAndToaste is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CheeseAndToaste is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CheeseAndToaste is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    HALP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee
    Mod negged on 11/29/13 - Goodnight sweet greens :(
    I had a 2nd acct that is why I was negged.

Adamk5753 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you are having shoulder pain on your eccentric phase of the movement (lowering yourself) you need to engage your lats more. Think about the muscle doing the movement. If you just try hard and push through the movement as fast as possible then your posterior deltoid will engage too much. If you think about dripping your lattisium each time and rotating your deltoid at the same time. That should eliminate the pain

Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You dont need the widest grip, medium grip is good too.
    So you're on the internet for good advice, here's some good advice: have a good laugh once in a while. And never tear your bicep!

628 / 661 LBS DL
    529 / 600 LBS SQ
    242 / 300 LBS BP

Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Stop bumping post from 2012
    FS/ S/ OHP/ B/ DL
    120/150/70/100/180 =KG
    I don't go to the gym anymore so above stats are useless.

Only do weighted calastentics in the comfort of my own home!

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173620211&page=138 go here if you want an estimation on your bf%

gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    any overhead movement bothers my shoulders, unless done with a neutral grip. therefore i only do neutral grip pull ups and neutral grip shoulder presses.