Closed Thread
    Enflix is on a distinguished road. (+10) Enflix is on a distinguished road. (+10) Enflix is on a distinguished road. (+10) Enflix is on a distinguished road. (+10) Enflix is on a distinguished road. (+10) Enflix is on a distinguished road. (+10) Enflix is on a distinguished road. (+10) Enflix is on a distinguished road. (+10) Enflix is on a distinguished road. (+10) Enflix is on a distinguished road. (+10) Enflix is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Phenyllketonuria

Don't know if anyone will have any knowledge on this, but i thought it wouldnt hurt to ask.

So, I have this thing called Phenyllketonuria, its a genetic disorder in which a gland in my body (dunno which) doesnt produce an enzyme called BH4.

This enzyme is utilised in the breaking down of protein within the body (specifically, the protein Phenyllalinine). Unfortunately for me, the protein in question (Phenyllalinine) is present in almost every food/drink which has protein in it (due to it being one of the most common amino acids/proteins).

This, effectively, means that I have to live off a very low protein diet (think vegan).

I do, however, have a sort of powdered suppliment (called XP Maxamum), which gives me a lot of the proteins/vitamins/minerals I miss out on from not eating foods such as meat/fish/chicken/dairy/nuts/lentils. I also have a special low protein bread, pasta and rice.

Is it going to be impossible for me to cut properly when it comes time, because I have such a carb heavy diet (i.e. cant do low carb high protein diet for cutting).

Its a long way off, but its something I'm trying to get my head around now so I can plan out my training/nutrition etc over the next year.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------

cliffs:
    genetic disorder
    cant eat protein
    have carb heavy suppliments
    can i cut?

nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000)
    You'd be wise to get the advice of a professional rather than random people on a forum. Some of those people might be skilled nutritionists, but if they're like me, they'll still hesitate to give potentially life threatening advice without the kind of information that only an in-person consultation can provide.

But I will say that no, it's not impossible to cut successfully on a PKU diet.

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you really have PKU, it's essential that you be under the care of a physician and it would be extremely imprudent to take advice from random souls on a bodybuilding forum in regard to your disorder.

Enflix is on a distinguished road. (+10) Enflix is on a distinguished road. (+10) Enflix is on a distinguished road. (+10) Enflix is on a distinguished road. (+10) Enflix is on a distinguished road. (+10) Enflix is on a distinguished road. (+10) Enflix is on a distinguished road. (+10) Enflix is on a distinguished road. (+10) Enflix is on a distinguished road. (+10) Enflix is on a distinguished road. (+10) Enflix is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by nobrah View Post
    You'd be wise to get the advice of a professional rather than random people on a forum. Some of those people might be skilled nutritionists, but if they're like me, they'll still hesitate to give potentially life threatening advice without the kind of information that only an in-person consultation can provide.

But I will say that no, it's not impossible to cut successfully on a PKU diet.
    Yeah, I've spoken to my nutritionist a couple of months ago about it but he couldn't really comprehend why I wanted to bulk, started asking me about my thoughts on my own body image, etc. After explaining it to him, he pretty much sat on the fence and said it might be possible, but nothing conclusive, and nothing to help me figure out a way to do it.

As for posting a question like this on the forums - of course I know people might not be as knowledgeable as professionals I could talk to irl, but I thought i'd take the chance and see if I could find someone who would be prepared to talk about it, or even better, someone with PKU who actually had been through this before.

thanks brah, 'preciate your input regardless

Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    If you really have PKU, it's essential that you be under the care of a physician and it would be extremely imprudent to take advice from random souls on a bodybuilding forum in regard to your disorder.
    Yes, I really do have PKU. And of course, I've got my half yearly checkups with the nutritionist and physician.

bender174 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Enflix View Post
    Yes, I really do have PKU. And of course, I've got my half yearly checkups with the nutritionist and physician.
    Can we get an update OP?

Also, at what age did you develop or recognize your PKU?

Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bender174 View Post
    Can we get an update OP?

Also, at what age did you develop or recognize your PKU?
    Why are you searching for this? PKU itself is rare and it's extremely rare to have adult onset. If you have a concern, see your physician.