Registered User rancid_theclash's Avatar
    rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000)

squat thumbless grip

When you guys use THUMBLESS grip for squat do you WRAP your thumb around the bar or do you let it just stick straight up ( non rippetoe style squats... Elbows underneath the bar is what I use) When my elbows are underneath(ish) the bar my thumb sticks straight up and doesn't really touch the bar.. Kind of like the bottom picture on this page

http://www.learntosquat.com/4/4.2.gr...acksquats.html

When I raise my elbow ( like rippetoe style squats) the thumb does wrap around the bar more....(still thumbless lol)

Basically my question is it okay if my thumbs not really "gripping the bar" with elbows underneath.. how are you're guys thumbs in the thumbless grip position???

ramizlol has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ramizlol has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ramizlol has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ramizlol has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ramizlol has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ramizlol has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ramizlol has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ramizlol has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ramizlol has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ramizlol has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ramizlol has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Does it really make that much difference. I go with ripp way

rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ramizlol View Post
    Does it really make that much difference. I go the ripp way
    Thats what I was wondering lol, The reason I ask Is because with every lift your supposed to squeeze the bar as tight as possible... doesn't seem like my thumb is if its not really touching it. lol

the problem I have with using the rippetoe style is raising my elbows gives me more forward lean.. Thats why I go with elbows underneath

Originally Posted by rancid_theclash View Post
    The reason I ask Is because with every lift your supposed to squeeze the bar as tight as possible... doesn't seem like my thumb is if its not really touching it. lol
    EDIT: I should mention that I squeeze MUCH tighter with my palm and Fingers when my thumb is kinda away from the bar... When Its on the bar it feels like I'm squeezing much weaker.

rbelsito427 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rbelsito427 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rbelsito427 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rbelsito427 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rbelsito427 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rbelsito427 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rbelsito427 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rbelsito427 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rbelsito427 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rbelsito427 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rbelsito427 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by rancid_theclash View Post
    EDIT: I should mention that I squeeze MUCH tighter with my palm and Fingers when my thumb is kinda away from the bar... When Its on the bar it feels like I'm squeezing much weaker.
    You want your elbows under the bar. This was the first change Chad Smith made to my squat at the seminar. As long as your back is tight as **** and you are staying as upright as possible, don't worry about little stuff like grip.
    Citius. Altius. Fortius.

Originally Posted by rbelsito427 View Post
    You want your elbows under the bar. This was the first change Chad Smith made to my squat at the seminar. As long as your back is tight as **** and you are staying as upright as possible, don't worry about little stuff like grip.
    Thats exactly the answer I was looking for... My form looked SOO bad when I shift my palm so the thumb could touch it. lol REPS for all