gnimelf will become famous soon enough. (+50) gnimelf will become famous soon enough. (+50) gnimelf will become famous soon enough. (+50) gnimelf will become famous soon enough. (+50) gnimelf will become famous soon enough. (+50) gnimelf will become famous soon enough. (+50) gnimelf will become famous soon enough. (+50) gnimelf will become famous soon enough. (+50) gnimelf will become famous soon enough. (+50) gnimelf will become famous soon enough. (+50) gnimelf will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Can't full/ATG squat due to knee bone structure :( Help!

I have been gyming for about 3 months now and have always squatted only to parallel up until about two weeks ago where I got taught to squat properly ATG and have been doing so since.

My fibula on my left leg sticks out a tiny bit just under my knee, has extra bone growth or something according to doctor. When I bend down and touch my thigh to my calf, unless I click my fibula into place my tendon(?) doesn't come over the bone like it should properly.
    Due to this I physically cannot ATG squat without quite bad pain for the next two days, limiting my overall movement.

I will continue to squat except only go parallel so I can still walk without pain the next day, what I am wondering is could I/should I add in an extra exercise to substitute for not going full ROM in my squat?

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You don't get much benefit going ATG beyond what you get going just below parallel. Just go as deep as your condition allows, you will be fine.
    My Journal (RIP 05/11 - 09/13):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134256491

DIY Plyo Boxes:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151765733

gnimelf will become famous soon enough. (+50) gnimelf will become famous soon enough. (+50) gnimelf will become famous soon enough. (+50) gnimelf will become famous soon enough. (+50) gnimelf will become famous soon enough. (+50) gnimelf will become famous soon enough. (+50) gnimelf will become famous soon enough. (+50) gnimelf will become famous soon enough. (+50) gnimelf will become famous soon enough. (+50) gnimelf will become famous soon enough. (+50) gnimelf will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Oh really?
    I thought going ATG worked your glutes a lot more than parallel.

Cheers

Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Are you doing this with a high bar or low bar squat? ATG squat is pretty much impossible with a low bar squat.

Originally Posted by gnimelf View Post
    Due to this I physically cannot ATG squat without quite bad pain for the next two days, limiting my overall movement.
    Most people do not have the ability to do ATG, either due to a flexibility issue or losing tension in their lower bar. Going to parallel is fine.
    S: 455, B: 375, D: 545

tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have been gyming for about 3 months now and have always squatted only to parallel up until about two weeks ago where I got taught to squat properly ATG and have been doing so since.

My fibula on my left leg sticks out a tiny bit just under my knee, has extra bone growth or something according to doctor. When I bend down and touch my thigh to my calf, unless I click my fibula into place my tendon(?) doesn't come over the bone like it should properly.

I will continue to squat except only go parallel so I can still walk without pain the next day, what I am wondering is could I/should I add in an extra exercise to substitute for not going full ROM in my squat?
    RDLs and high bar squats go pretty well together. If you are worried about not getting enough ham/glute activation from not going low enough, RDLs will take care of it.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Oh really?
    I thought going ATG worked your glutes a lot more than parallel.

Cheers
    works your glutes more at the expense of your quads and hamstrings. You get better overall leg development by going to parallel.

thomasDB is just really nice. (+1000) thomasDB is just really nice. (+1000) thomasDB is just really nice. (+1000) thomasDB is just really nice. (+1000) thomasDB is just really nice. (+1000) thomasDB is just really nice. (+1000) thomasDB is just really nice. (+1000) thomasDB is just really nice. (+1000) thomasDB is just really nice. (+1000) thomasDB is just really nice. (+1000) thomasDB is just really nice. (+1000)
    Go parallel or the deepest you can go without injuring yourself. Who cares if you don't go ATG, if it means getting hurt again its not worth it.

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have to disagree with those pimping the parallel back squat as a better exercise than the deeper versions of it. My own direct experiences, and some amount of actual reading, lead me to the opposite conclusion.

Sure, not everyone can do them. Also, not everyone who can, can do them heavy. And out of those, not all can do that with good form.

Nonetheless, if you can, it's full of win.

tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    works your glutes more at the expense of your quads and hamstrings. You get better overall leg development by going to parallel.
    Not for high bar you don't.