desiUK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desiUK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desiUK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desiUK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desiUK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desiUK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desiUK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desiUK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desiUK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desiUK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desiUK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Stretching after warmup or at the end after workout?

Hi All

im confused do i warm up, then stretch then do my workout then stretch? or do i do warm up then do exercises then stretch? and is the stretching the cooldown and is a cooldown needed?

thank you

Yes. I'm bigger than you. hessunit's Avatar
    hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by desiUK View Post
    Hi All

im confused do i warm up, then stretch then do my workout then stretch? or do i do warm up then do exercises then stretch? and is the stretching the cooldown and is a cooldown needed?

thank you

Warmup, mobility/prehab, workout, stretch. Your cool down can be stretching, although depending on how rough the workout was, you may want to walk on the treadmill for a few minutes for some active recovery/cool down.
    Lift smart.

I rear ended a car this morning...the driver that got out of the other car was a dwarf !!
    He looked up at me and said "I am NOT Happy!"
    So I said, "Well, which one ARE you then?"
    That's how the fight started.

"The two best activities for your health are pumping and humping"
    Arnold Swarzenegger

....done. Phew.

jbadr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    depends what your working out or doing. ex/ when i do cardio ill stretch after, but on legs day you deff want to warmup and stretch before

XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Dynamic stretching will be more efficient during warm-ups (as it will not tear fibers so bad)

Isometric stretching would sometimes be needed between sets, and most of the times are beneficial at the end of the work-out (or that particular muscle group).
    If your body cannot handle it, make sure sheer willpower will.....

IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I like to make stretching its own workout. If I think I need more flexibility I'll just spend an hour or so stretching.

Team MuscleTech Rep MuscleTechIan's Avatar
    MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by XADO View Post
    Dynamic stretching will be more efficient during warm-ups (as it will not tear fibers so bad)

Isometric stretching would sometimes be needed between sets, and most of the times are beneficial at the end of the work-out (or that particular muscle group).
    Completely agree.

I've seen studies that actually show how Isometric stretching pre-workout can be harmful as well.
    Team MuscleTech Rep

Support Team MuscleTech and Vote NeuroCore for Supplement of the Year! - http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/2012-supplement-awards.html

********.com/MuscleTech | Twitter.com/TeamMuscleTech | Twitter.com/MuscleTechDeals | YouTube.com/TeamMuscleTechVideos | Groups.bodybuilding.com/Team_MuscleTech

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I think the above answers are all "text book" and very good. Ideally, if we were dealing with a high level athlete, we would want to step through the mobility/training/stretching cycle (mobility being considered "warming up" in many circles). However, I think this is overly specific for recreational athletes and your average gym member. Truthfully, at that level, I would be pretty happy so long as they actually stretched! Pre, post, during... it probably isn't going to create any kind of real performance/injury difference so long as their overall flexibility is reasonable. If the person is overly tight, and it causes limitations during exercise (such as reduced ROM, or not being able to properly perform an exercise without some compensatory action), then I might want to look into a more specific plan of action to correct this. Otherwise, I would just encourage you to stretch when it feels natural to do so.
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I stretch before my workout, and intermittently during the workout itself. Mostly dynamic.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by hessunit View Post
    Warmup, mobility/prehab, workout, stretch. Your cool down can be stretching, although depending on how rough the workout was, you may want to walk on the treadmill for a few minutes for some active recovery/cool down.
    This /\/\/\/\ (for the average gym rat)
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Training regularly but no progress?
    You need one or more of these: more food, more weight, more reps or more rest.

Check out: www.muscleandbrawn.com

kenethleclair will become famous soon enough. (+50) kenethleclair will become famous soon enough. (+50) kenethleclair will become famous soon enough. (+50) kenethleclair will become famous soon enough. (+50) kenethleclair will become famous soon enough. (+50) kenethleclair will become famous soon enough. (+50) kenethleclair will become famous soon enough. (+50) kenethleclair will become famous soon enough. (+50) kenethleclair will become famous soon enough. (+50) kenethleclair will become famous soon enough. (+50) kenethleclair will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    stretching is a waste of time n effort...just do a warm up set
    KEN LECLAIR

mmmdonuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mmmdonuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mmmdonuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mmmdonuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mmmdonuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mmmdonuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mmmdonuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mmmdonuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mmmdonuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mmmdonuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mmmdonuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm sort of surprised to hear all the responses saying you should stretch... i would have expected more posts saying stretching is unnecessary. Personally I do some warm up sets before my first exercise, but will only stretch afterwards only when I have some extra time. FWIW I work out in the morning.

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by mmmdonuts View Post
    I'm sort of surprised to hear all the responses saying you should stretch... i would have expected more posts saying stretching is unnecessary. Personally I do some warm up sets before my first exercise, but will only stretch afterwards only when I have some extra time. FWIW I work out in the morning.
    I'm not aware of any credible source that says stretching is a complete waste of time. There is a point where most people have adequate muscular flexibility (muscle body length) to allow a normal ROM. In these cases, stretching doesn't necessarily get you a lot, and can really be done as a means of preserving the flexibility that you have. In some respects properly executed full ROM exercises ensure adequate muscle flexibility, but there are always people that have specific shortening of muscles due to other factors (hip flexors from sitting all day, for one).

Mobility addresses factors that impede full ROM, and looks outside of muscle length as a restriction (and may also address muscle length). Mobility often focuses on connective tissue work, soft tissue work such as working on scar tissue in muscles, and eliminating full ROM by way of compensatory movement. Basically stated, you can be flexible and still not "move" the right way. For your average trainee, I think this is probably a little above the scope of what is necessary. Am I worried that a football player doesn't move right through tackles, changes of direction while running full speed, and jumping? Sure. Not moving correctly can, potentially, predict injury. Am I worried that a 17 year old non-athlete who wants bigger biceps can move like a cheetah? Much less so. If he can, do I care? Nope, good on him! If his lifts look good, a little maintenance stretching works for me. If his lifts look like crap, some other plan might be necessary. For the average population, I would view mobility work more in terms of fixing problems than a necessity. But that is just my opinion, and I would certainly never fault anyone for doing mobility work, much in the way that I would never fault anyone for taking a multi-vitamin. If you need it, it is a good idea. If you don't need it... it won't kill you, but is it really doing anything for you? Not for me to say, and at that point I'm happy to let people do as they see fit.
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius

jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by CookAndrewB View Post
    I'm not aware of any credible source that says stretching is a complete waste of time. There is a point where most people have adequate muscular flexibility (muscle body length) to allow a normal ROM. In these cases, stretching doesn't necessarily get you a lot, and can really be done as a means of preserving the flexibility that you have. In some respects properly executed full ROM exercises ensure adequate muscle flexibility, but there are always people that have specific shortening of muscles due to other factors (hip flexors from sitting all day, for one).

Mobility addresses factors that impede full ROM, and looks outside of muscle length as a restriction (and may also address muscle length). Mobility often focuses on connective tissue work, soft tissue work such as working on scar tissue in muscles, and eliminating full ROM by way of compensatory movement. Basically stated, you can be flexible and still not "move" the right way. For your average trainee, I think this is probably a little above the scope of what is necessary. Am I worried that a football player doesn't move right through tackles, changes of direction while running full speed, and jumping? Sure. Not moving correctly can, potentially, predict injury. Am I worried that a 17 year old non-athlete who wants bigger biceps can move like a cheetah? Much less so. If he can, do I care? Nope, good on him! If his lifts look good, a little maintenance stretching works for me. If his lifts look like crap, some other plan might be necessary. For the average population, I would view mobility work more in terms of fixing problems than a necessity. But that is just my opinion, and I would certainly never fault anyone for doing mobility work, much in the way that I would never fault anyone for taking a multi-vitamin. If you need it, it is a good idea. If you don't need it... it won't kill you, but is it really doing anything for you? Not for me to say, and at that point I'm happy to let people do as they see fit.
    Excellent write-up. A really great summary of the issues affecting flexibility.
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Training regularly but no progress?
    You need one or more of these: more food, more weight, more reps or more rest.

Check out: www.muscleandbrawn.com

Yes. I'm bigger than you. hessunit's Avatar
    hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by kenethleclair View Post
    stretching is a waste of time n effort...just do a warm up set
    If I could Neg you right now I would. What an absolutely stupid statement.

OP, I beg you to ignore what he said.

The end.
    Lift smart.

I rear ended a car this morning...the driver that got out of the other car was a dwarf !!
    He looked up at me and said "I am NOT Happy!"
    So I said, "Well, which one ARE you then?"
    That's how the fight started.

"The two best activities for your health are pumping and humping"
    Arnold Swarzenegger

....done. Phew.

BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by hessunit View Post
    If I could Neg you right now I would. What an absolutely stupid statement.

OP, I beg you to ignore what he said.

The end.
    LOL no kidding.