SirGMatherson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Over 40 with injuries

First time posting. Usually sit back and read, not really a poster type.

Early 40's, abdominal injury, sports hernia, over 1 year, doesn't want to heal. Docs say no surgery required as time will heal.

As of today - started wearing abdominal binder, starting 3 protein shakes a day (1 1/2 scoops of ON Whey @ 36g per shake), 30 minutes of stationary bike, 3-4 core exercises.

Too much? Too little?

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time and your responses.

shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What are you goals?

I know fawk all about sports hernias, but I will say that you did not say anything about what your goals are.

That will help people here give you advice.

Why are you drinking 3 protein shakes a day?

bri88col is a name known to all. (+5000) bri88col is a name known to all. (+5000) bri88col is a name known to all. (+5000) bri88col is a name known to all. (+5000) bri88col is a name known to all. (+5000) bri88col is a name known to all. (+5000) bri88col is a name known to all. (+5000) bri88col is a name known to all. (+5000) bri88col is a name known to all. (+5000) bri88col is a name known to all. (+5000) bri88col is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm curious as to reason for 3 shakes a day..seems a bit of an expensive overload just starting out..
    www.********.com/Oldmanmuscle
    www.Instagram.com/cobri66
    www.twitter.com/bric882009

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Definitely not a doctor here but one rule i follow is if it hurts in a bad way don't do it.
    The biggest thing you can start doing is moving and slowly increase the intensity of that moving.
    Only do core movements that are approved or recommended by your doctor.

Originally Posted by shaneinga View Post
    What are you goals?

I know fawk all about sports hernias, but I will say that you did not say anything about what your goals are.

That will help people here give you advice.

Why are you drinking 3 protein shakes a day?
    My goals are to heal it. From what I've read, protein is a very good way to help heal torn muscles. My protein intake from foods aren't enough for my daily intake. As far as I've read, I require at least 150 grams per day.

In regards to the "if it hurts, don't do it" comment... I agree. I only do movements I know that will be safe for me to do without screwing it up worse. Stuff like The Bridge. I don't know names for the rest I do but more or less easy stuff. I can not plank. Half plank is not easy either but want to work towards that. Once I feel stronger, perhaps in a month from now, I will aim towards controlled crunches and more ab building exercises.

Hope this info helps. Thank you again folks.

WestCoastFire is not very well liked. (-100) WestCoastFire is not very well liked. (-100) WestCoastFire is not very well liked. (-100) WestCoastFire is not very well liked. (-100) WestCoastFire is not very well liked. (-100) WestCoastFire is not very well liked. (-100) WestCoastFire is not very well liked. (-100) WestCoastFire is not very well liked. (-100) WestCoastFire is not very well liked. (-100) WestCoastFire is not very well liked. (-100) WestCoastFire is not very well liked. (-100)
    My advice is to not overdo anything. If it hurts, stop doing it. What I would do though is look to a more primal/paleo way of eating for the time being. It tends to reduce and remove inflammation in the body so your injuries should heal much faster and your sense of well being will also increase. You don't really need to be hammering down protein shakes unless your hitting the gym hard which I think at this point in time isn't the ideal solution. You also don't really need to be hammering down the starchy carbs either if your exercise routine doesn't call for it.

Do lots of walking and engage in things you enjoy doing. If you like the core exercises your doing or riding the bike, by all means go for it.

Originally Posted by WestCoastFire View Post
    My advice is to not overdo anything. If it hurts, stop doing it. What I would do though is look to a more primal/paleo way of eating for the time being. It tends to reduce and remove inflammation in the body so your injuries should heal much faster and your sense of well being will also increase. You don't really need to be hammering down protein shakes unless your hitting the gym hard which I think at this point in time isn't the ideal solution. You also don't really need to be hammering down the starchy carbs either if your exercise routine doesn't call for it.

Do lots of walking and engage in things you enjoy doing. If you like the core exercises your doing or riding the bike, by all means go for it.
    Great advice. Thank you. I've been watching my calorie intake as I noticed my waistline was growing larger than I wished. My life's biggest stress factor was limiting my eating from one to two meals a day. This stress factor is no longer in my life. Hence the perhaps excessive eating... but I will do some research on this Paleo diet as I've heard of this before. In regards to the core excercises, yes, I actually enjoy doing it and I know positive thinking is a big part of recovery plus I enjoy riding the stationary bike as soon as I wake up to get me going in the AM.

Thank you again for the advice.

Thanks again