Page 177 of 201 FirstFirst ... 77 127 167 175 176 177 178 179 187 ... LastLast
Results 5,281 to 5,310 of 6016
    daiawa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daiawa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daiawa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daiawa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daiawa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daiawa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daiawa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daiawa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daiawa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daiawa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daiawa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by 2Rude4MyOwnGood View Post
    There aren't many places in the US where being a single role EMS provider will allow you to live comfortably. EMS has never been a path to wealth, but the recent job market is just so saturated with applicants that private ambulance companies have no reason to offer reasonable wages. Many private ambulance companies aren't making huge profits either, so they don't even have the money to pay out if they wanted to.

I kinda understand not paying EMTs much money (although $10/hr is a slap in the face in ANY line of work), but paying paramedics such poor wages is ridiculous.

The education standard/requirements to be an EMT in the US are pretty low...roughly 120 hours of training. It's unfortunate, but that level of training doesn't really command much money...especially when many private ambulance companies don't even have 911 contracts. Just IFTs all day long. The bulk of the job is taxiing old folks across town. I'm not saying that they should be earning minimum wage, but it's tough to justify paying what most EMTs feel that they deserve.

On the other hand, the training and commitment involved in becoming a paramedic should be worth FAR more than the average company is paying...especially if they have a 911 contract. Asking people to identify and treat critical medical emergencies, perform invasive medical procedures, give them a giant box full of drugs (including narcotics) and expect them to administer them appropriately, etc...that's a ton of pressure, and takes a ton of work to perfect. Paying them like fast food employees is damn near criminal. Never the less, people are still lining up to fill those spots.

This is why many medics seek employment with fire departments, despite their lack of interest in the fire service. Aside from some rare exceptions, fire based EMS is the only way to make a living.
    If you want single role EMS, you have to search. There really is no rhyme or reason for the way wages differ sometimes. Just as I make 55K as a single role paramedic working half the year in the southeast, when there are medics making damn near minimum wage in California. Major metropolitan areas in the southeast typically pay decently. Outside of the major cities, county based EMS almost always pays more than FD it seems.

nocalvesnick is just really nice. (+1000) nocalvesnick is just really nice. (+1000) nocalvesnick is just really nice. (+1000) nocalvesnick is just really nice. (+1000) nocalvesnick is just really nice. (+1000) nocalvesnick is just really nice. (+1000) nocalvesnick is just really nice. (+1000) nocalvesnick is just really nice. (+1000) nocalvesnick is just really nice. (+1000) nocalvesnick is just really nice. (+1000) nocalvesnick is just really nice. (+1000)
    This is probably a really stupid question but, when is the best time to apply for firefighting jobs? I currently have courses s212, s130,s190 / the requirements for wildland firefighting ( also worked with the USFS for 3 months and helped fight 1 fire that we got called to). I am thinking of taking an emt and wemt course through NOLS quite soon. Does anyone have some advice for getting hired and what I can continue to work on to look better for becoming hired. Also I'm quite interested in fire I would prefer to be on a hand crew but I would also like to be on an engine crew I would take either job if I got one.

RP R[̲̅ə̲̅٨̲̅٥̲̅٦̲̅]ution JamesMUSCLE's Avatar
    JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by nocalvesnick View Post
    This is probably a really stupid question but, when is the best time to apply for firefighting jobs? I currently have courses s212, s130,s190 / the requirements for wildland firefighting ( also worked with the USFS for 3 months and helped fight 1 fire that we got called to). I am thinking of taking an emt and wemt course through NOLS quite soon. Does anyone have some advice for getting hired and what I can continue to work on to look better for becoming hired. Also I'm quite interested in fire I would prefer to be on a hand crew but I would also like to be on an engine crew I would take either job if I got one.
    Look into Cal Fire. They usually open applications every November.

Also Albuquerque Fire Dept will be hiring early 2018. I believe they do some wildland, since you have to take a pack test as part of the hiring process.
    Your life will never be a straight path.”
    “To not only take risks, but to be open to life. To accept new views and to be open to new opinions. While it may be frightening, it will also be rewarding. Because the chances you take… the people you meet… the people you love…the faith that you have—that’s what’s going to define your life.”
    “And when you fall throughout life, fall forward.”
    -Denzel Washington

Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

This is why many medics seek employment with fire departments, despite their lack of interest in the fire service. Aside from some rare exceptions, fire based EMS is the only way to make a living.

Its cheaper and easier to train a medic to be a firefighter than to train a firefighter to be a medic.

each dept in the northeast is different, but My dept is 19.xx in academy and 22.xx for first 3 years before you make 100% rate. the cost of living is much higher than a lot of the country.
    Stats 6'6" 245lbs
    Bodypoints 700
    RIP YourGunShowTix

Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by nocalvesnick View Post
    For structure firefighting: Anytime Ana usually as soon as possible is the best time to start applying.

While I am not an expert but I do believe their are some wild land guys in this thread. I can only share info that has been passed on to me.

Most wild land fed jobs start opening up for application around January February time frame with hiring in April. USAjobs dot com is where you apply. Wild land jobs aren't like any other they want very detailed multi page resumes detailing work on fires and any other related expirence including using gas powered equipment. Also if any of the posts are in your area find them. Stop by and start meeting the full timers with online applications putting a name to a face unless your an ******* will only help you.

Any of the wild land guys in her if I got anything wrong go ahead and correct me.
    R.I.P. Hela
    "If you never talk to strangers, You'll never make any friends at all."
    Mike---R.I.P. Buddy

***Misc Firefighter/EMT Crew***
    The truly great do not put their pants on one leg at a time

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instructor class234

nocalvesnick is just really nice. (+1000) nocalvesnick is just really nice. (+1000) nocalvesnick is just really nice. (+1000) nocalvesnick is just really nice. (+1000) nocalvesnick is just really nice. (+1000) nocalvesnick is just really nice. (+1000) nocalvesnick is just really nice. (+1000) nocalvesnick is just really nice. (+1000) nocalvesnick is just really nice. (+1000) nocalvesnick is just really nice. (+1000) nocalvesnick is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    For structure firefighting: Anytime Ana usually as soon as possible is the best time to start applying.

While I am not an expert but I do believe their are some wild land guys in this thread. I can only share info that has been passed on to me.

Most wild land fed jobs start opening up for application around January February time frame with hiring in April. USAjobs dot com is where you apply. Wild land jobs aren't like any other they want very detailed multi page resumes detailing work on fires and any other related expirence including using gas powered equipment. Also if any of the posts are in your area find them. Stop by and start meeting the full timers with online applications putting a name to a face unless your an ******* will only help you.

Any of the wild land guys in her if I got anything wrong go ahead and correct me.
    Thanks for the advice hopefully I will get a job soon! If not I will just work on getting more certs and training.

CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    What's good boys and girls, got my P- Card and 2 contigent offer with Laco and SD Fire..OH YEAHHHHHH, I need to train harder than ever, I'd hate to fail the Academy, what do you guys do for training?

CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by US_Ranger View Post
    ^^^^
    Lmao. We looking at the same place bro? I just got a job offer making 15/hr as a medic. Another place is offering 16.

I can't live on that wage. I'm seriously lost as to what the fck I'm supposed to do. All this schooling, training, constant re-certs, etc to make minimum fcking wage. It's criminal.
    You're in southern California? working for the only 911 private ambulance company in California. I'm sure it's a great place to keep your edge though,even for the low pay. I hear it's not uncommon for fresh Fire/medic with 0 experience to be let go during their probationary period because they've lost their skills and are unable to run call.
    The FD is going to expect you to be a competent medic when they pick you up.

If the FD is not the route you're looking for, think of it this way:
    It's 16 dollars the hours but you're not doing 8 hour shift, it's 12 minimum. The last 4 hours are 1.5X base pay.
    ( 16 X 8) + ( 24X 4) = 216 dollars a day minium.
    Assuming you get off on time, which is rare. It's EMS, there's always OT. My preceptor made 90k a year but worked 6 days a week.
    You are not going to starve doing this job, that's for sure. It's a stepping stone to something bigger: medicine, fire, instructor...etc

Registered User 2Rude4MyOwnGood's Avatar
    2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Yeti06 View Post
    Its cheaper and easier to train a medic to be a firefighter than to train a firefighter to be a medic.

each dept in the northeast is different, but My dept is 19.xx in academy and 22.xx for first 3 years before you make 100% rate. the cost of living is much higher than a lot of the country.

Lots of variables there. It really just comes down to the type of system you're in. Around here it's definitely cheaper for the fire department the other way around. But if you're in a system that requires you to obtain your fire certs on your own prior to getting hired, it's absolutely cheaper to train a medic to be a fireman.

Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lots of variables there. It really just comes down to the type of system you're in. Around here it's definitely cheaper for the fire department the other way around. But if you're in a system that requires you to obtain your fire certs on your own prior to getting hired, it's absolutely cheaper to train a medic to be a fireman.
    They have a problem of guys who don't want to be medics, and lots of paramedic service. I don't know the financials, but that is how the depts run around here. Most run some sort of ambulance service, and they never hire non EMTs

Originally Posted by Tipys View Post

I worked for a state wildland fire program for 8 years and then 2 years with the USFS.

I would start applying now for wildland jobs: USAjobs.gov.

depending on what your qualifications are, but the permanent jobs start accepting apps now. From what I saw he would need some more qualifications for Permanent positions. But most regions do a few rounds of hiring. So the earlier anyone applies the better. Also the application is detailed/complicated. If anyone needs help with applying for fed wildland jobs PM me and I can help with the application process. I helped a few buddies get on hotshot crews last year.

I think it goes without saying for any fire job, one should go down to the station they want to work at and introduce themselves/ask questions.
    Stats 6'6" 245lbs
    Bodypoints 700
    RIP YourGunShowTix

2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    They have a problem of guys who don't want to be medics, and lots of paramedic service. I don't know the financials, but that is how the depts run around here. Most run some sort of ambulance service, and they never hire non EMTs.

Definitely a nationwide issue with firefighters not wanting to be medics. Always a hot button issue especially within departments that run transport units.

Doesn't bother me at all, they can be 2 very different career paths so it's to be expected that some people just won't want to go to medic school. It's definitely not for everybody...and that's ok. As I'm sure you're aware, not all firemen are capable of being good ALS providers anyway lol.

It's nice to work for a department where you've got the option to be sent through medic school if you ever decide to go that route, but forcing people into going is rarely going to end well...for the firefighters AND the citizens they serve.

No clue why I turned this into a rant.

Definitely a nationwide issue with firefighters not wanting to be medics. Always a hot button issue especially within departments that run transport units.

Doesn't bother me at all, they can be 2 very different career paths so it's to be expected that some people just won't want to go to medic school. It's definitely not for everybody...and that's ok. As I'm sure you're aware, not all firemen are capable of being good ALS providers anyway lol.

It's nice to work for a department where you've got the option to be sent through medic school if you ever decide to go that route, but forcing people into going is rarely going to end well...for the firefighters AND the citizens they serve.

I wouldnt consider that a rant.

Up here all the depts I know are either just FF, FF/BLS, or FF/ALS. there aren't any Dept that I know of that allow you to join and decide how far you want to go.
    Stats 6'6" 245lbs
    Bodypoints 700
    RIP YourGunShowTix

JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

That's how I feel right now. Not sure if I would want to be a medic. I'd rather get on the job and get some experience first.
    “To not only take risks, but to be open to life. To accept new views and to be open to new opinions. While it may be frightening, it will also be rewarding. Because the chances you take… the people you meet… the people you love…the faith that you have—that’s what’s going to define your life.”
    -Denzel Washington

Originally Posted by JamesMUSCLE View Post
    That's how I feel right now. Not sure if I would want to be a medic. I'd rather get on the job and get some experience first.

It's not for everyone. Double edged sword as well...it'll pretty much guarantee you a job in the fire service, but then there's a good chance that you'll spend much of your time on an ambulance. Not that way in all departments, but you should plan for that to be the case.

There are pros and cons to being a medic in the fire service, just depends on which ones you value over others.

SLC FD is opening hiring process in 3-4 months, Just an FYI
    Stats 6'6" 245lbs
    Bodypoints 700
    RIP YourGunShowTix

SLC FD is opening hiring process in 3-4 months, Just an FYI
    Yeah, I get their email newsletter. Opens in December I believe. Lot of opportunities starting Oct-December of this year.
    Nashville and Phoenix in November
    Charlotte in December
    Salt Lake and Denver December?

And **** at this rate I'll probably apply to Boise again
    -Denzel Washington

Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's not for everyone. Double edged sword as well...it'll pretty much guarantee you a job in the fire service, but then there's a good chance that you'll spend much of your time on an ambulance. Not that way in all departments, but you should plan for that to be the case.

There are pros and cons to being a medic in the fire service, just depends on which ones you value over others.
    Have to agree with this.

Right now I'm glad I got hired without going to get my medic. But still glad I may have the opportunity to get it. Even if my current department ends up never offering it (which is unlikely because it's a growing dept) I can always go out on my own. Get it then start apply again. I'm honestly too early on in my career to write it off as an option.

And I have already been on a roller coaster ride about deciding to go for it or not. Right after finishing EMT I wanted to go zero to hero. Was advised otherwise and waited. Then I told myself I would do it if I wasn't hired by 25. Considered it a couple times sooner then that. Then when 25 came I wasn't ready to take it on. Decided to wait was going to take my pre-req in January of the following year. Got hired instead stoked that I got hired without it. Now considering it again. Paritially because it's in the plans for my department at some point and I am one of the more expirenced EMTs.
    R.I.P. Hela
    "If you never talk to strangers, You'll never make any friends at all."
    Mike---R.I.P. Buddy

***Misc Firefighter/EMT Crew***
    The truly great do not put their pants on one leg at a time

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instructor class234

Got an email from Nashville.

Email states at the end:

"If you cannot attend the day or time listed below or fail to report on your scheduled test date, you will be allowed to test at a later date. We will not administer the test to late arrivals."

WHich I cannot make the date that I was assigned. So I emailed HR and got this in response:

"Due to the volume of applicants, we are not rescheduling applicants. You have 30 plus days to make arrangements or you can wait to see if we will be testing next year."

So looks like Nashville is out. Time to focus on Phoenix and Sacramento.

Took the FCTC written yesterday.
    -Denzel Washington

Email states at the end:

"If you cannot attend the day or time listed below or fail to report on your scheduled test date, you will be allowed to test at a later date. We will not administer the test to late arrivals."

WHich I cannot make the date that I was assigned. So I emailed HR and got this in response:

"Due to the volume of applicants, we are not rescheduling applicants. You have 30 plus days to make arrangements or you can wait to see if we will be testing next year."

good luck, I did worse on the fctc this time. I cannot pass the 90% barrier on that test.

US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    There aren't many places in the US where being a single role EMS provider will allow you to live comfortably. EMS has never been a path to wealth, but the recent job market is just so saturated with applicants that private ambulance companies have no reason to offer reasonable wages. Many private ambulance companies aren't making huge profits either, so they don't even have the money to pay out if they wanted to.

I kinda understand not paying EMTs much money (although $10/hr is a slap in the face in ANY line of work), but paying paramedics such poor wages is ridiculous.

The education standard/requirements to be an EMT in the US are pretty low...roughly 120 hours of training. It's unfortunate, but that level of training doesn't really command much money...especially when many private ambulance companies don't even have 911 contracts. Just IFTs all day long. The bulk of the job is taxiing old folks across town. I'm not saying that they should be earning minimum wage, but it's tough to justify paying what most EMTs feel that they deserve.

On the other hand, the training and commitment involved in becoming a paramedic should be worth FAR more than the average company is paying...especially if they have a 911 contract. Asking people to identify and treat critical medical emergencies, perform invasive medical procedures, give them a giant box full of drugs (including narcotics) and expect them to administer them appropriately, etc...that's a ton of pressure, and takes a ton of work to perfect. Paying them like fast food employees is damn near criminal. Never the less, people are still lining up to fill those spots.

I had a dude in SVT yesterday, near syncopal, BP dropping fast. We had to work fast to stabilize him. Went well but of course stressful for what it is. Overall, entire call earned me about 7 dollars. It's just weird to think that you can work in an office looking at ******** all day long (if you cawksuckers work in an office and say you don't do this you're a lying sack of ****) and get paid 5-10x the amount that I do. It's mind blowing to me. I used to visit my old roommate where he worked in corporate America. He was on amazon shopping for **** 24x7. Dude made 6 figures. Meanwhile, I'm helping some guy off the toilet and trying to keep his BP going and I'm not even earning enough to buy my own lunch.

Whether or not it's fair, right, wrong, whatever, it's not sustainable. I don't get it.

Originally Posted by daiawa View Post
    If you want single role EMS, you have to search. There really is no rhyme or reason for the way wages differ sometimes. Just as I make 55K as a single role paramedic working half the year in the southeast, when there are medics making damn near minimum wage in California. Major metropolitan areas in the southeast typically pay decently. Outside of the major cities, county based EMS almost always pays more than FD it seems.
    There's groups like Medic One in Seattle which pay a decent wage. There are a few companies out there. How they make it work? I don't know. Local taxes as subsidies? Regardless, right now I don't even make enough money to pay rent and eat. I work so many hours I sleep in my fcking car on a 70 dollar folding memory foam mattress after work (shower at the gym) just so I can get enough sleep and save money on driving/gas. This is beyond stupid. California is expensive as **** and the pay here is about 1-2 dollars an hour more (if that) than places where the cost of living is 1/3 of what it is here. How do these companies think they're going to stay afloat? No one can afford to work.

Originally Posted by CanardMedic View Post
    You're in southern California? working for the only 911 private ambulance company in California. I'm sure it's a great place to keep your edge though,even for the low pay. I hear it's not uncommon for fresh Fire/medic with 0 experience to be let go during their probationary period because they've lost their skills and are unable to run call.
    The FD is going to expect you to be a competent medic when they pick you up.

If the FD is not the route you're looking for, think of it this way:
    It's 16 dollars the hours but you're not doing 8 hour shift, it's 12 minimum. The last 4 hours are 1.5X base pay.
    ( 16 X 8) + ( 24X 4) = 216 dollars a day minium.
    Assuming you get off on time, which is rare. It's EMS, there's always OT. My preceptor made 90k a year but worked 6 days a week.
    You are not going to starve doing this job, that's for sure. It's a stepping stone to something bigger: medicine, fire, instructor...etc
    And that's the other thing. What sort of quality of life do you have when working 12 hour shifts constantly? That leaves just enough time to go to the gym, shower, pack up for the next day and get a good nights sleep. That's fine a few days a week buy 6 days a week? Fck that. That's not living. That's just being alive. What's the point?

Email states at the end:

Testing for Metro or City in Sacramento? What did you get on the FCTC?

good luck, I did worse on the fctc this time. I cannot pass the 90% barrier on that test.
    The math/mechanical/reading was easy. Honestly the hardest part was the video portion at the beginning. Gotta be on your game paying attention lol. Whats the general consensus on a good score that will move you on in the process?

Originally Posted by US_Ranger View Post
    I had a dude in SVT yesterday, near syncopal, BP dropping fast. We had to work fast to stabilize him. Went well but of course stressful for what it is. Overall, entire call earned me about 7 dollars. It's just weird to think that you can work in an office looking at ******** all day long (if you cawksuckers work in an office and say you don't do this you're a lying sack of ****) and get paid 5-10x the amount that I do. It's mind blowing to me. I used to visit my old roommate where he worked in corporate America. He was on amazon shopping for **** 24x7. Dude made 6 figures. Meanwhile, I'm helping some guy off the toilet and trying to keep his BP going and I'm not even earning enough to buy my own lunch.

Whether or not it's fair, right, wrong, whatever, it's not sustainable. I don't get it.

There's groups like Medic One in Seattle which pay a decent wage. There are a few companies out there. How they make it work? I don't know. Local taxes as subsidies? Regardless, right now I don't even make enough money to pay rent and eat. I work so many hours I sleep in my fcking car on a 70 dollar folding memory foam mattress after work (shower at the gym) just so I can get enough sleep and save money on driving/gas. This is beyond stupid. California is expensive as **** and the pay here is about 1-2 dollars an hour more (if that) than places where the cost of living is 1/3 of what it is here. How do these companies think they're going to stay afloat? No one can afford to work.

And that's the other thing. What sort of quality of life do you have when working 12 hour shifts constantly? That leaves just enough time to go to the gym, shower, pack up for the next day and get a good nights sleep. That's fine a few days a week buy 6 days a week? Fck that. That's not living. That's just being alive. What's the point?

Testing for Metro or City in Sacramento? What did you get on the FCTC?
    City. Not sure yet. I think it's a week turn around to get scores back. Taking CPAT in October. If I don't get above a 90% I'll probably take the written again in 30 days. I have a **** load of frequent flyer miles racked up from traveling and sign on bonuses lol, so I have probably 10 round trip tickets worth to use and still have some left over. That and Boise > Sac is a cheap flight.

Also places like AMR pay decent don't they?

I just know that around here there are good options for single role EMS that are public/county and not a private company.
    -Denzel Washington

Got an 88% on the FCTC. May have to retake it since I'll bet you need a 90+ to move on. Guarantee most of the questions I missed were from the video portion.
    -Denzel Washington

Got an 88% on the FCTC. May have to retake it since I'll bet you need a 90+ to move on. Guarantee most of the questions I missed were from the video portion.
    Sounds about right, yeah aim for 90% + . My buddies who moved on in the process all scored 95%+ after 3 attempts.
    I"ll take the FCTC again as well, hopefully it's the same video

Sounds about right, yeah aim for 90% + . My buddies who moved on in the process all scored 95%+ after 3 attempts.
    I"ll take the FCTC again as well, hopefully it's the same video

is the FCTC just for california departments, or is it used nationally?
    Stats 6'6" 245lbs
    Bodypoints 700
    RIP YourGunShowTix

is the FCTC just for california departments, or is it used nationally?
    Just California

You take their written + CPAt and get put on their statewide eligibility list that departments hire off of.
    -Denzel Washington

Just California

You take their written + CPAt and get put on their statewide eligibility list that departments hire off of.

Just like Massachusetts, except its all done in house. by the civil service commission or whatever its called
    Stats 6'6" 245lbs
    Bodypoints 700
    RIP YourGunShowTix

Yeah, it's pretty nice. Take one test for a bunch of different departments.

Also, anyone on here ever tested with Phoenix? Their app period opens tomorrow. Test is in November.

Curious how many applicants they usually get. Also their academy must be pretty brutal since apparently it's only 12 weeks. Seems super short for a big city dept.
    -Denzel Washington

Yeah, it's pretty nice. Take one test for a bunch of different departments.

Also, anyone on here ever tested with Phoenix? Their app period opens tomorrow. Test is in November.

Curious how many applicants they usually get. Also their academy must be pretty brutal since apparently it's only 12 weeks. Seems super short for a big city dept.
    Some departments have relatively short academies because they don't include an EMT class. They'll just require that you have an EMT cert prior to applying. Then they don't have to pay you, or spend the time teaching you, to get you nationally registered.

Not sure if that's the case with Phoenix, but it sounds probable, especially since they assign you to a transport unit for 200 shifts at the end of your probationary period. That's when you'll get the experience and learn how to really be an EMT.

Some departments might require that you have some basic fire certs (FF1/2, hazmat awareness/ops, etc.) before applying. Then they can put you through an abbreviated academy since they don't have to completely build your skills/knowledge from the ground up. Then they can just teach you their way of doing things.

Some departments have relatively short academies because they don't include an EMT class. They'll just require that you have an EMT cert prior to applying. Then they don't have to pay you, or spend the time teaching you, to get you nationally registered.

Not sure if that's the case with Phoenix, but it sounds probable, especially since they assign you to a transport unit for 200 shifts at the end of your probationary period. That's when you'll get the experience and learn how to really be an EMT.

Some departments might require that you have some basic fire certs (FF1/2, hazmat awareness/ops, etc.) before applying. Then they can put you through an abbreviated academy since they don't have to completely build your skills/knowledge from the ground up. Then they can just teach you their way of doing things.

My academy was 10 weeks. It was brutal. Our lectures were specifically geared towards the practical evolutions, while our weekly quizzes were straight from the book. They pretty much didn't correlate at all. I read that book three times cover to cover, while doing practical evolutions and PT every day.

I think phoenix would be very competitive due to the fact they are always developing training and tactics used throughout the country. I always hear "developed/first tried out of the phoenix FD"

actually I think there is a Miscer who has posted in this thread that worked out of Phoenix.
    Stats 6'6" 245lbs
    Bodypoints 700
    RIP YourGunShowTix

Makes sense. I know when I applied to Las Vegas, you had to have EMT cert before a certain period in the hiring process. But they still do like 8-10 weeks of EMT in the academy.

My academy was 10 weeks. It was brutal. Our lectures were specifically geared towards the practical evolutions, while our weekly quizzes were straight from the book. They pretty much didn't correlate at all. I read that book three times cover to cover, while doing practical evolutions and PT every day.

I think phoenix would be very competitive due to the fact they are always developing training and tactics used throughout the country. I always hear "developed/first tried out of the phoenix FD"
    Probably. Curious how many applicants they get since their app period is only open from tomorrow till Friday.
    actually I think there is a Miscer who has posted in this thread that worked out of Phoenix.
    -Denzel Washington