Page 181 of 201 FirstFirst ... 81 131 171 179 180 181 182 183 191 ... LastLast
Results 5,401 to 5,430 of 6016
    Registered User 2Rude4MyOwnGood's Avatar
    2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kingHanley View Post
    i already accepted to study and make this my life for the next 2 years, goodbyes friends and free time lol. I’ll be fine and it’ll be worth it .

If I can offer some unsolicited advice to you...

Don't stress out if you don't feel like you're really "getting it" in school. NOBODY is a good paramedic until they get out in the field and get a fair amount of experience under their belt. It's a line of work where a good portion of the job is literally impossible to learn in a classroom.

I've seen people get really frustrated in school because it wasn't clicking for them, but then go on to become excellent medics.

Anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, cardiology, etc. are all good points of study, but until you get your hands on a bunch of patients and see all kinds of disease processes firsthand...you'll probably suck at it lol. I know I did.

Arizona to East Texas kingHanley's Avatar
    kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by 2Rude4MyOwnGood View Post
    If I can offer some unsolicited advice to you...

Don't stress out if you don't feel like you're really "getting it" in school. NOBODY is a good paramedic until they get out in the field and get a fair amount of experience under their belt. It's a line of work where a good portion of the job is literally impossible to learn in a classroom.

I've seen people get really frustrated in school because it wasn't clicking for them, but then go on to become excellent medics.

Anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, cardiology, etc. are all good points of study, but until you get your hands on a bunch of patients and see all kinds of disease processes firsthand...you'll probably suck at it lol. I know I did.
    thanks man, I need to start doing ride alongs as well. How do you approach a fire house just walk in and introduce myself ?
    *Firefighter-Paramedic Crew*
    *HTC Crew*
    *White Zero Ultra Monster Crew*
    *2A Crew*
    *Conservative Crew*

2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    thanks man, I need to start doing ride alongs as well. How do you approach a fire house just walk in and introduce myself ?

Ride alongs are typically organized through your medic school. You'll have a certain amount of patient contacts, IV sticks, assessments, etc. that you'll need to complete before you can sit for the National Registry exam. You'll probably have an orientation at the start of medic school where they will go over that with you. They'll schedule everything for you. Then you just show up for your shift (bring donuts or ice cream or something), and you'll run calls with them all day. You'll have a preceptor who signs off that you've performed certain skills on calls, and hopefully teaches you some stuff about the job.

You can probably schedule a ride along with a firehouse where you live, but it'll be as an observer only, too much liability involved in letting you have any interaction with a patient. To be honest it's kinda weird to do a ride along like that. Its not very common for a citizen to do a ride along with us, at least, not where I live. We've had a few people ride along on the engine with us, but it's kind of annoying. Having to babysit somebody on calls can be a pain.

KMadigan777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KMadigan777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KMadigan777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KMadigan777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KMadigan777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KMadigan777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KMadigan777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KMadigan777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KMadigan777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KMadigan777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KMadigan777 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Dam, sometimes I think about getting back into it. But in Colorado its insane ever trying to get on a department, and with only my EMT it feels like a hopeless battle.

US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Tomorrow is my first day of “ medic school”, I passed my EMT NREMT on Thursday first try so I’m glad I got that out of the way. Now I can focus on medic school. It’s a 2 year course, between now and August I have BIO 160, ECG readings, pharmacology, cardiology , a 12 lead class, and medical terms for pre hospital setting. You have to have a 3.5 GPA to advance to the clinical/internship part of the program and eventually graduate. Wish me luck boyos. I never studied in High school, and never took a college class. But I’m 100% ready to set everything aside and make this my life for 2 years.
    You'll be fine. Spreading it out over 2 years is probably the smart thing. I did mine in a year, a major test every 3 weeks or so and if you scored below 70% you were out of the program. Luckily I was in the 90% range on everything but it was long days/nights for that entire year. Soak everything up like a sponge and enjoy it. Cardiology and 12 lead stuff is amazing, I'm hoping to take even more classes on all of that.

Originally Posted by US_Ranger View Post
    You'll be fine. Spreading it out over 2 years is probably the smart thing. I did mine in a year, a major test every 3 weeks or so and if you scored below 70% you were out of the program. Luckily I was in the 90% range on everything but it was long days/nights for that entire year. Soak everything up like a sponge and enjoy it. Cardiology and 12 lead stuff is amazing, I'm hoping to take even more classes on all of that.

Cardiology was my favorite subject as well. So incredible how much information you can gather about the heart just from some squiggly lines. Still blows my mind today.

Dale Dubin's 12-lead book is a game changer.

Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by KMadigan777 View Post
    Dam, sometimes I think about getting back into it. But in Colorado its insane ever trying to get on a department, and with only my EMT it feels like a hopeless battle.

Colorado Career Firefighter right here bro.

Hey man times are changing in Colorado. I have been Career for 3 years now. I tested for 5 before that. So 8 years ago when I began the process many departments if they were testing, were only hiring for 1-5 spots sometime the bigger departments would have 12. But that was rare. Denver during that time ran its smallest academy in their history, being the only academy for that 2 year list.

However in the last 2 years I have seen not only an increase of departments (that at most require you to have EMT) hiring 2-3 academy’s of 20 plus. Which was unheard of when I was testing. But also smaller departments that require more certs hiring more frequently.

If your serious about becoming a firefighter now is the time in Colorado. Improved economy, increased growth, and firefighter retirements are key factors that are all happening right now. This is the time to put your head down and grind.
    R.I.P. Hela
    "If you never talk to strangers, You'll never make any friends at all."
    Mike---R.I.P. Buddy

***Misc Firefighter/EMT Crew***
    The truly great do not put their pants on one leg at a time

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instructor class234

kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingHanley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ride alongs are typically organized through your medic school. You'll have a certain amount of patient contacts, IV sticks, assessments, etc. that you'll need to complete before you can sit for the National Registry exam. You'll probably have an orientation at the start of medic school where they will go over that with you. They'll schedule everything for you. Then you just show up for your shift (bring donuts or ice cream or something), and you'll run calls with them all day. You'll have a preceptor who signs off that you've performed certain skills on calls, and hopefully teaches you some stuff about the job.

You can probably schedule a ride along with a firehouse where you live, but it'll be as an observer only, too much liability involved in letting you have any interaction with a patient. To be honest it's kinda weird to do a ride along like that. Its not very common for a citizen to do a ride along with us, at least, not where I live. We've had a few people ride along on the engine with us, but it's kind of annoying. Having to babysit somebody on calls can be a pain.
    yeah man I was just referring to out of school ride alongs, we did have an orientation regarding clinical hours, internships, etc but that doesn’t start until block 3 next year.
    *HTC Crew*
    *2A Crew*
    *Conservative Crew*

RP R[̲̅ə̲̅٨̲̅٥̲̅٦̲̅]ution JamesMUSCLE's Avatar
    JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just took the civil service for Dallas Fire. Should have results in 7-10 days

Also for those interested, Denver Fire just announced they are opening app period February 6th. Written exam will be Feb 26-march 3rd.

Unfortunately i don't think I will be able to swing it since its same time frame as Houston.
    Your life will never be a straight path.”
    “To not only take risks, but to be open to life. To accept new views and to be open to new opinions. While it may be frightening, it will also be rewarding. Because the chances you take… the people you meet… the people you love…the faith that you have—that’s what’s going to define your life.”
    “And when you fall throughout life, fall forward.”
    -Denzel Washington

yeah man I was just referring to out of school ride alongs, we did have an orientation regarding clinical hours, internships, etc but that doesn’t start until block 3 next year.
    Maybe it's more common where you live, but ride alongs for people who aren't in medic school aren't much of a thing here. Sometimes a family member will tag along for the day, but even that is pretty rare.

If you decide to do one, just use some common sense and you'll be fine. Be respectful, dress appropriately, don't ring the doorbell super early in the morning, offer to help clean the firehouse, bring them some nice donuts or something (no cheapo gas station donuts!), stay out of their way on calls unless told otherwise, etc. If you get linked up with a good crew it could be a really fun day.

Maybe it's more common where you live, but ride alongs for people who aren't in medic school aren't much of a thing here. Sometimes a family member will tag along for the day, but even that is pretty rare.

If you decide to do one, just use some common sense and you'll be fine. Be respectful, dress appropriately, don't ring the doorbell super early in the morning, offer to help clean the firehouse, bring them some nice donuts or something (no cheapo gas station donuts!), stay out of their way on calls unless told otherwise, etc. If you get linked up with a good crew it could be a really fun day.
    thx will do one on Sunday !
    *HTC Crew*
    *2A Crew*
    *Conservative Crew*

JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesMUSCLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Ridealongs here for Boise Fire are 8am-5pm. Ride along with Ada Paramedics is usually 1pm-10pm

But definitely what you said.

Dress nice ( don't have to wear a suit, but at least some nice pants and a polo).
    “To not only take risks, but to be open to life. To accept new views and to be open to new opinions. While it may be frightening, it will also be rewarding. Because the chances you take… the people you meet… the people you love…the faith that you have—that’s what’s going to define your life.”
    -Denzel Washington

Originally Posted by JamesMUSCLE View Post
    Ridealongs here for Boise Fire are 8am-5pm. Ride along with Ada Paramedics is usually 1pm-10pm

But definitely what you said.

Dress nice ( don't have to wear a suit, but at least some nice pants and a polo).

Lol that would be hilarious if somebody showed up for a ride along wearing a suit.

I didn't realize that ride alongs were so common out there. Must be pretty routine if they are posting their specific ride along hours like that. Funny how differently departments operate across the US.

There's got to be some type of screening process or something right? Don't those guys get annoyed having random citizens hopping on the rigs and hanging around the firehouse all the time?

FOSteven is a name known to all. (+5000) FOSteven is a name known to all. (+5000) FOSteven is a name known to all. (+5000) FOSteven is a name known to all. (+5000) FOSteven is a name known to all. (+5000) FOSteven is a name known to all. (+5000) FOSteven is a name known to all. (+5000) FOSteven is a name known to all. (+5000) FOSteven is a name known to all. (+5000) FOSteven is a name known to all. (+5000) FOSteven is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I haven't heard of any departments around where I am doing formal ride alongs, mine certainly doesn't. For those of you have ridden along, what did you do? Standing around on scene solely observing sounds a bit boring honestly.
    "So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people. . . . Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place." -Tecumseh

Lol that would be hilarious if somebody showed up for a ride along wearing a suit.

I didn't realize that ride alongs were so common out there. Must be pretty routine if they are posting their specific ride along hours like that. Funny how differently departments operate across the US.

There's got to be some type of screening process or something right? Don't those guys get annoyed having random citizens hopping on the rigs and hanging around the firehouse all the time?
    Boise Fire is super laid back. I literally called their office and got one scheduled. Have to schedule 2 weeks in advance. Then you fill out a liability waiver when you get to the station. But it looks like they're changing things up now. They put a temp suspension on the ride along program

Sacramento was a little more stringent. They do a background check. have to fill out a form and mail it in.

https://www.cityofsacramento.org/Fir...act/Ride-Along

Originally Posted by FOSteven View Post
    I haven't heard of any departments around where I am doing formal ride alongs, mine certainly doesn't. For those of you have ridden along, what did you do? Standing around on scene solely observing sounds a bit boring honestly.
    I did a ride with Sacramento Fire in November. Rode on the ambulance at their downtown station. Some standing around, but they let me help with vitals, push the stretcher in the hospital, hung out with the guys at the station, dinner with the crew.

U get your civil service exam scheduled for Dallas?
    -Denzel Washington

Los Angeles Fire Dept. application period opens March 5th for anyone interested.

https://www.governmentjobs.com/caree...s-march-5-2018
    -Denzel Washington

Originally Posted by JamesMUSCLE View Post
    Boise Fire is super laid back. I literally called their office and got one scheduled. Have to schedule 2 weeks in advance. Then you fill out a liability waiver when you get to the station. But it looks like they're changing things up now. They put a temp suspension on the ride along program

Sacramento was a little more stringent. They do a background check. have to fill out a form and mail it in.

https://www.cityofsacramento.org/Fir...act/Ride-Along

I did a ride with Sacramento Fire in November. Rode on the ambulance at their downtown station. Some standing around, but they let me help with vitals, push the stretcher in the hospital, hung out with the guys at the station, dinner with the crew.

U get your civil service exam scheduled for Dallas?

I'm surprised that more departments haven't suspended (or done away with) their ride along programs as well.

It's a cool program for guys like you, but most people aren't normal like you are. The extreme liability associated with letting citizens go on calls and spend time in the firehouse is pretty mind blowing. What's to stop somebody from suing because they were offended by the language used in the firehouse? Or claiming that some other type of inappropriate behavior occurred? Or running their mouth to the press about something they observed on a call?

Just seems incredibly risky.

Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Yeti06 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm surprised that more departments haven't suspended (or done away with) their ride along programs as well.

It's a cool program for guys like you, but most people aren't normal like you are. The extreme liability associated with letting citizens go on calls and spend time in the firehouse is pretty mind blowing. What's to stop somebody from suing because they were offended by the language used in the firehouse? Or claiming that some other type of inappropriate behavior occurred? Or running their mouth to the press about something they observed on a call?

Just seems incredibly risky.

HIPAA etc, the only people who i've seen allowed to do any type of ride time is people in some sort of EMT program.
    Stats 6'6" 245lbs
    Bodypoints 700
    RIP YourGunShowTix

Originally Posted by Yeti06 View Post
    HIPAA etc, the only people who i've seen allowed to do any type of ride time is people in some sort of EMT program.

HIPAA protects medical information, but that wouldn't really be my concern. I'd be concerned that something a member of my department did or said on a call would be reported to the media, a lawyer, etc.

Let's be honest, a firehouse isn't the most PC work environment. The general public just doesn't understand that it's not our "office", it's our home. The stuff we talk about around the firehouse, the language we use, etc., would get you fired from just about any other job.

And on calls...things aren't done by the book 100% of the time. That's just the nature of the job. If a layperson were to see some of the sht that goes on, it could really blow up in our faces.

Psychotropic is a name known to all. (+5000) Psychotropic is a name known to all. (+5000) Psychotropic is a name known to all. (+5000) Psychotropic is a name known to all. (+5000) Psychotropic is a name known to all. (+5000) Psychotropic is a name known to all. (+5000) Psychotropic is a name known to all. (+5000) Psychotropic is a name known to all. (+5000) Psychotropic is a name known to all. (+5000) Psychotropic is a name known to all. (+5000) Psychotropic is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Can someone explain the combining of ambulance/ems and a fire service in the US? I understand that there are many different small county based services and that you cannot generalise to the entire country.

If someone requests an ambulance do they get a fire truck with paramedics on board?

Originally Posted by Psychotropic View Post
    Can someone explain the combining of ambulance/ems and a fire service in the US? I understand that there are many different small county based services and that you cannot generalise to the entire country.

If someone requests an ambulance do they get a fire truck with paramedics on board?
    As you mentioned, there are several different systems used in the US. But yes it's most common for an engine company to be dispatched on the majority of EMS calls.

The main reason for this is that there are less available ambulances than there are available engines. In the US, the national standard that every department aims for is a 4 minute response for BLS care to arrive, and an 8 minute response for ALS care to arrive. Some areas will beat these times, others will fall far short. The engine company is often gonna be able to get on scene and start providing care faster than the ambulance (there are less of them, or they are tied up on calls, etc).

It's also a matter of having extra manpower on scene. Our ambulances are generally staffed with 2 providers. It very common for more hands to be needed on a call. It may be due to the critical nature of the patient's injury/illness, or simply because moving the patient is so difficult (we have a large population of obese and non ambulatory people).

The engine company also serves to protect the scene from traffic on auto accidents, have a hoseline in place for auto extrications, and many other responsibilities. However, it's also common for the engine crew to not be needed on a call. If that's the case, the ambulances crew just sends them on their way.

Some departments have paramedics on their engine companies, but it's not necessarily the norm. Even if there is a paramedic on the engine, an ambulance will still be needed in order to transport the patient.

Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000) Tipys is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Psychotropic View Post

I second a lot of what 2rude wrote. That explains the main parts of why.

As for some history it wasn’t always that way. EMS as part of the fire service has only really been that part of it for about 50 years. There is an old video of a firefighter in New York that explain it really well. “No matter what the issue is the fire department shows up. That’s why we get called for all these different things.” This quote was before all those extra things they were called for was normal. As time has gone on and will likely continue more and more is part on the fire department to assist with.

While we show up in a fire engine we can do a lot more then put out fires. Medical care is one of those things.

We truly are closer to being emergency response techs. However to quote the late Andy Fredricks. “What kid grows up saying he wants to be an emergency response tech?”
    R.I.P. Hela
    Mike---R.I.P. Buddy

daiawa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daiawa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daiawa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daiawa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daiawa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daiawa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daiawa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daiawa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daiawa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daiawa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daiawa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    There's roughly 5 fire apparatus to each ambulance in our coverage area, 80+% of the FD runs in our coverage area are medical in nature. Most crews are absolutely fantastic, some you want to punch in the face as soon as you show up on scene.

CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CanardMedic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    [QUOTE=JamesMUSCLE;1541403231]Los Angeles Fire Dept. application period opens March 5th for anyone interested.

Hell yes!

Psychotropic is a name known to all. (+5000) Psychotropic is a name known to all. (+5000) Psychotropic is a name known to all. (+5000) Psychotropic is a name known to all. (+5000) Psychotropic is a name known to all. (+5000) Psychotropic is a name known to all. (+5000) Psychotropic is a name known to all. (+5000) Psychotropic is a name known to all. (+5000) Psychotropic is a name known to all. (+5000) Psychotropic is a name known to all. (+5000) Psychotropic is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    Originally Posted by daiawa View Post
    Cheers for the replies. I didn't realise there were so many fire service vehicles.

Here the fire brigade aren't directly involved in anything medical with one exception - they are dispatched to suspected cardiac arrest cases. This practice started ?5 - 10 years ago with the rationale of reducing response times. For the vast majority of time a fire crew will be sitting at station as an available resource. It does provide some extra hands for chest compressions, moving furniture, etc. They carry an AED and (most likely) provide BVM ventilation as needed although I suspect they don't break that out too often.

FOSteven is a name known to all. (+5000) FOSteven is a name known to all. (+5000) FOSteven is a name known to all. (+5000) FOSteven is a name known to all. (+5000) FOSteven is a name known to all. (+5000) FOSteven is a name known to all. (+5000) FOSteven is a name known to all. (+5000) FOSteven is a name known to all. (+5000) FOSteven is a name known to all. (+5000) FOSteven is a name known to all. (+5000) FOSteven is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You guys, I finally got the phone call!! I was given a conditional offer today after my third interview with this specific department. Still at an absolute loss for words.
    "So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people. . . . Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place." -Tecumseh

You guys, I finally got the phone call!! I was given a conditional offer today after my third interview with this specific department. Still at an absolute loss for words.
    Congrats man!
    R.I.P. Hela
    Mike---R.I.P. Buddy

Bachelors of Broscience QuadraQuint's Avatar
    QuadraQuint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) QuadraQuint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) QuadraQuint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) QuadraQuint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) QuadraQuint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) QuadraQuint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) QuadraQuint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) QuadraQuint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) QuadraQuint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) QuadraQuint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) QuadraQuint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Grats bro!

I finished at the fire academy a year ago but I'm hedging by bet by going back to school for nursing since I know how hard it is to land that full time gig. Goal is to do both, even if I work as a volley ff. Does anyone know anyone who's a nurse and a firefighter?

76MMSRT is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Volunteer FF/EMT from the Seattle area checking in!

Got an email saying I passed the civil service for Dallas.

Now have to fill out their PHQ packet. Guess Dallas requires you be a medic after X amount of time.

As you mentioned, there are several different systems used in the US. But yes it's most common for an engine company to be dispatched on the majority of EMS calls.

The main reason for this is that there are less available ambulances than there are available engines. In the US, the national standard that every department aims for is a 4 minute response for BLS care to arrive, and an 8 minute response for ALS care to arrive. Some areas will beat these times, others will fall far short. The engine company is often gonna be able to get on scene and start providing care faster than the ambulance (there are less of them, or they are tied up on calls, etc).

It's also a matter of having extra manpower on scene. Our ambulances are generally staffed with 2 providers. It very common for more hands to be needed on a call. It may be due to the critical nature of the patient's injury/illness, or simply because moving the patient is so difficult (we have a large population of obese and non ambulatory people).

The engine company also serves to protect the scene from traffic on auto accidents, have a hoseline in place for auto extrications, and many other responsibilities. However, it's also common for the engine crew to not be needed on a call. If that's the case, the ambulances crew just sends them on their way.

Some departments have paramedics on their engine companies, but it's not necessarily the norm. Even if there is a paramedic on the engine, an ambulance will still be needed in order to transport the patient.
    That and fire stations are strategically placed around the city.

Boise Fire for example, doesn't transport, but still has every engine staffed with one medic.

When I did my ridealong with Sac Fire, the truck even went on a few medical calls. Was weird. One call was medic and truck, but not the engine. Wasn't anything out of the norm. Just a S.O.B call.
    Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    I second a lot of what 2rude wrote. That explains the main parts of why.

As for some history it wasn’t always that way. EMS as part of the fire service has only really been that part of it for about 50 years. There is an old video of a firefighter in New York that explain it really well. “No matter what the issue is the fire department shows up. That’s why we get called for all these different things.” This quote was before all those extra things they were called for was normal. As time has gone on and will likely continue more and more is part on the fire department to assist with.

While we show up in a fire engine we can do a lot more then put out fires. Medical care is one of those things.

We truly are closer to being emergency response techs. However to quote the late Andy Fredricks. “What kid grows up saying he wants to be an emergency response tech?”
    There was a video recently I saw on FB. I think it was San Antonio Fire Dept. But the medic had just finished a call and immediately after got dispatched to a fire. Medic was first on scene.
    Congrats. What department?
    -Denzel Washington