fotodude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Handicap and being a personal trainer

Hey all,

Just wanted to see if there were any trainers here or anyone here know of trainers that may have a slight handicap. I hardy consider mine a handicap and would like to get a part time job as a personal trainer. I currently help two ladies in the gym and really enjoy it. Btw, the ladies are friends, so what they tell me is some what biased. Ive read on here that the biggest things for a trainer is to have knowledge, be a people person and look the part. I am in pretty good physical shape, you can defiantly tell I work out. Im also great with people. And im going to get a cert started here soon. What worries me is someone that doesnt know me, seeing me walk up and thinking to themselves this guy is a trainer.

Thanks for the honest feedback!

ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It honestly depends on your handicap. If this is an insensitive comparison it is not meant to be, but when I was playing professional soccer and training, I had a very serious injury which prevented even standing.

I felt as if I couldn't do my job properly, but I tried. It was probably wrong of me to train my clients, looking back at it.

I think to be a trainer you need to either be able to show your client what to do or be very good at coaching them what to do with your words. To be able to do both excellently is optimal. Also, you should be able to spot your client when they are working out.

To sum, I think if you feel as if you can perform the duties of trainer, many handicaps will not prevent you from being a great trainer as long as you can develop a good report' with clients. This is true for every trainer.

kiddink is just really nice. (+1000) kiddink is just really nice. (+1000) kiddink is just really nice. (+1000) kiddink is just really nice. (+1000) kiddink is just really nice. (+1000) kiddink is just really nice. (+1000) kiddink is just really nice. (+1000) kiddink is just really nice. (+1000) kiddink is just really nice. (+1000) kiddink is just really nice. (+1000) kiddink is just really nice. (+1000)
    You don't need to be jacked/fit to be an excellent trainer. The problem is, most people want to SEE motivation/results. Meaning they'd rather listen to someone super fit/in shape than someone unfit/fat/whatever else.

No one will take advice from a sick person how to be healthy.
    No one will take advice from a pimply teenager on how to wash your face.

It sucks but it's life.

Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It probably doesn't matter too much but just so I can answer your question better, what is your handicap?
    Sept of Baelor was an inside job. Wildfire can't melt stone masonry.

Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000)
    Depends on your handicap. There used to be a trainer on here that was permanently in a wheel chair. I wanna say he had the word frog in his username.
    A.C.E Certified Personal Trainer
    N.E.S.T.A Fitness Nutrition Coach

HOMER: [holds Lisa's suitcase] Somebody's traveling light.
    LISA: Meh. Maybe you're just getting stronger.
    HOMER: Well, I have been eating more.

Squat:560-Raw 565-wraps
    Bench:365-Raw
    Deadlift:555-Raw
    Front Squat-405x2(Raw) 465x1(Wraps)

Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Mr.ILL View Post
    Depends on your handicap. There used to be a trainer on here that was permanently in a wheel chair. I wanna say he had the word frog in his username.
    Ah, I was about to mention him, yes bullfrog or something.

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Physical training can change how you look, feel (health) and perform. Different people will put different importance on each of those three.

If you have some physical handicap, then the health-oriented clients will probably be more likely to sign up with you. "This guy with one leg / cerebral palsy / etc can do it, so can I! And he'll understand me." This is good, since health-oriented clients are often the most dedicated and reliable ones.

You likely won't get the looks-oriented clients, but since those are often the most uncommitted and unreliable ones this is no great loss.

Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    looks-oriented clients, are often the most uncommitted and unreliable ones
    AND surprisingly, they're the ones who are the worst at adhering to a diet or keeping track of what they'r eating.

Thanks for all the replies! I have Scoliosis of the spine which spurred off a couple of other issues. I do walk with a limp and my balance kinda sucks. But currently with the two that I help in the gym, any items I cant demonstrate personally I show them on my tablet.

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Scoliosis? Pffft, I have that, not severe but still. I got two words for you: Lamar Gant. Scoliosis, first man to deadlift 5 times his bodyweight - 300kg @ 60kg.

I thought you meant a real disability.

Fck the tablet, get good at coaching with words. Get yourself Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength DVD, and Dan John's Intervention. You don't see those guys getting under the bar to coach.

Mine was pretty severe, so much the fact I have a 7 inch long titanium rod in there to keep it aligned. But as I said, Ive never really let it stop me from anything! Legs are a bit scrawny, but my upper body is decent. I weigh 135 and can bench 270. I was just wanting to see what the input of others, esp what a client may think.

Thanks again for all the input, defiantly helps the decision to further my goals!

Registered User JoeCannonMSCSCS's Avatar
    JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yes Ive had people in class who had handicaps and it does not hinder their ability to be a trainer at all. Ive even seen trainers with 1 leg in the gym. Don't worry what others think.

Joe
    Joe Cannon, MS
    Joe-Cannon.com
    SupplementClarity.com