Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 23 63 71 72 73
Results 2,161 to 2,162 of 2162
    JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Lifts4longevity View Post
    I normally don't post much on here since many of the home gyms on this site are literally leagues apart from the simple, non-commercial grade equipment I have...However, a homemade thread is certainly up my alley. I've been looking for inspiration to finally get off my butt and get serious about improving my home gym. I bought all the mild and stainless steel needed for my planned weight room upgrades several years back, just need to start producing the parts one at a time until they're all done. It won't be a quick process, but I don't mind.

Here is my latest addition to my 'Big box store' Chinese weight bench. A greatly improved lat pulldown attachment that replaces the 14ga cheap tubing setup from Impex. I bought this bench when I was 17 (20 years ago....YIKES!), and have started to replace each of the bench's main pieces with .120" and 3/16" wall tubing over the past 5 years. The pulldown's main guide tube is 2"x2"'.120" wall 304 stainless, but I had to rip down 2.5"x.120" wall 304 square tubing and make it into 2x2", so I could lengthen the main guide tube by 9". Mild steel 1.75"x.120 wall tubing is sleeved inside of the main guide tube where I spliced the stainless tubing together, and a stainless flange is welded to the end of the SS guide tube to act as a stop.

The bushing material that glides against the guide tube is cut down 1/2" UHMW, and the steel plate loaded part is made from mostly flat bar in 1/4" thickness. Weight pegs are stainless 1"x .120" wall stainless.

The top part that holds the pulleys is 4"x 2"'.120 wall steel tubing (I rounded and capped the ends), and 1/4" flat bar. I angled it up 2" so I get a full stretch at the top when doing pulldowns, and converted the single cable to dual, using 4 new pulleys from Ivanko (had the factory Impex cable break years ago). This setup is 8" taller than the Impex (super cheesy!) setup that never allowed for anywhere near a full stretch at the top. I'm also upgrading all fasteners to 1/2" grade 8 as I go...

Everything was carefully planned around the "USA" stamping....after all, they DID take the time to stamp those letters in, right? They will be getting masked off and painted separately (perhaps in red, white, and blue???).

I added 1/4" and 1/2" thick 304 stainless flat bar to the front leg of the bench to stiffen it up more when doing heavy pulldowns, and the flat bar is welded to some cut 2.5" stainless tubing. Leftover 1/2" horse stall mat in layers is my cushion for the weight stack. I made the plate storage brace years ago in order to stiffen the connection between the front leg of the bench and the backbone, as well as have additional plate storage. It also allowed me to add the handles under the seat so I have something to grip when doing leg extensions (different attachment...rarely used now).

I still have to fab the benches main backbone from 2x3x3/16" wall tubing (Amazon special, 3 feet for $24 w/ prime shipping!!!), make the squat and calf raise attachment, and create the rear legs of the bench from some 3x3 x.120" stainless I have. Everything else has already been modded or scratch built on this bench. Then comes the fold up 3/4 rack and safety bars that I need to complete.....128 holes (1" diameter) that I need to accurately drill in stainless steel.....I've been putting that part of the project off since I HATE drilling stainless. Once everything is finished, I'll paint my steel parts, and polish the stainless and UHMW....unless I come up with a pattern for the bare stainless that I like better. I have several ideas.....

Andy
    Missed this last time I checked out this thread, but this sounds impressive. Would like to see more pictures.

Registered User Lifts4longevity's Avatar
    Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by JustTheDad View Post
    Missed this last time I checked out this thread, but this sounds impressive. Would like to see more pictures.
    Thanks, but it's not really what I'd call impressive. I just happen to be bored and have a lot of time on my hands. It would probably be much more impressive if I finished the entire project, and then took the time to actually paint all the bare metal parts so they looked nicer.

I posted 5 pics in that last post and 4 were deleted/rejected the next day, so no clue what I'm doing wrong. Maybe it's a file size thing (???)....I'll attach a few more pics and see if they disappear or not...

-Andy
    Attached Images
    I own my weights, but sometimes they own me

Another skinny ectomorph on the journey to look like a buff mesomorph

***Cancer free since 2006, but always fighting the battle***