Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

For Sports, do you try to apply all weight training to it or not?

As an aspiring personal trainer (studying for NASM) for clients someday, and for my own training itself (martial arts) I want to know do you try to relate ALL weight training exercises to be "Functional" to go with X sport, or do you just go with a weight training program to improve strength/endurance/etc in general as a base and leave the "functional" training for conditioning itself during sport practice?

Discuss.
    Never Accept Defeat
    Never Quit
    You Deserve What You Settle For

Check out my past completed supplement log(s):
    LG Sciences Cold Fusion EX - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=385525371#post385525371
    LG Sciences Anadraulic State - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=402458291#post402458291
    LG Sciences Anadraulic State GT & Anadraulic Pump - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=472949631#post472949631

Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Are you asking if every single exercise I have them do has some carry-over in a real-life situation or mimmicks something a human would do if they lived a more physical, primal life?
    Sept of Baelor was an inside job. Wildfire can't melt stone masonry.

jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Josh86 View Post
    As an aspiring personal trainer (studying for NASM) for clients someday, and for my own training itself (martial arts) I want to know do you try to relate ALL weight training exercises to be "Functional" to go with X sport, or do you just go with a weight training program to improve strength/endurance/etc in general as a base and leave the "functional" training for conditioning itself during sport practice?

Discuss.
    It depends on if the client's goals are strength, endurance or to get better at a sport. If I had a client who wanted to get conditioned for a particular sport, I'd try and prescribe exercises that apply better to that sport from the standpoint of strength, power and endurance developement. Depends on what the client wants.

DoubleFistingDBs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DoubleFistingDBs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DoubleFistingDBs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DoubleFistingDBs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DoubleFistingDBs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DoubleFistingDBs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DoubleFistingDBs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DoubleFistingDBs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DoubleFistingDBs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DoubleFistingDBs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DoubleFistingDBs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Its dependent on the sport/focus/goal of the client. Some will come to you with a base goal of adding weight/strength. Others will look to add to athletic ability. In that case you need to be capable of evaluating the types of movements and muscle groups involved in their sports. There are a lot of details to go along with this subject to post from my cell phone. I will say that you need to strengthen their weaknesses to help build their focused strength.

Ok, not since Im at home, I can give further detail. Improving athletic ability (meaning functions that will allow them to provide more strength with the movements needed for their sport) goes very specific to each sport, and even position. I'm not going to train a pitcher the same way I would a long distance runner, or a left defender for soccer because their bodies all do different things. As a starting point, evaluate the hips. How do their hips need to function and all muscles involved (glute/hams/flexors/extensors/intercostals/quads) and that will say a lot as to what direction you need to do. Also, appropriately breaking down the exercises from foot positions, and drilling correct forms, as many athletes miss minor but key functions to make they movement or function turn from good to great.
    Last edited by DoubleFistingDBs; 03-22-2012 at 11:04 AM.
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer

Shodan in Japanese Jiu Jitsu

Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Great responses so far. I greatly appreciate it guys.

Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
    Are you asking if every single exercise I have them do has some carry-over in a real-life situation or mimmicks something a human would do if they lived a more physical, primal life?
    Like for example with a soccer player. It makes no sense to me for them to say...build up their bench press a lot, and instead work on various muscles of the legs. Plus not only legs, but say more explosive reactive movements that sorta mimic movements they'll use instead of traditional building up of the leg muscles (getting deadlift or squat up high) or no? That's more along the lines I was thinking with each sport, or once again just go to overall building of their weaknesses even if they don't use said body part much in their sport?

Thank you very much.
    Never Accept Defeat
    Never Quit

LG Sciences Cold Fusion EX - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=385525371#post385525371
    LG Sciences Anadraulic State - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=402458291#post402458291
    LG Sciences Anadraulic State GT & Anadraulic Pump - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=472949631#post472949631

Quistfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quistfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quistfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quistfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quistfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quistfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quistfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quistfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quistfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quistfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quistfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When a client has a sports betterment goal, always keep that as your focus. For your example the soccer player, do movements that are directly related to what they will be doing on the field. Each exercise should be relatable to an action that they must preform in their sport.

So, for a soccer player who's only goal is to get better at soccer, I would stay away from focusing souly on the upper body for a session, as there is no need for it. The time would be much better spent doing agility drills, quick reaction drills, leg strengthening, cardio vascular endurance, explosiveness off the line... etc. There are TONS of things you can do.
    You better enjoy the ride, because its a long road.

NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do your athletes belong to one or more of the following groups? In other words, are they:

a) Division 1 athletes
    b) Professional Players
    c) Olympians

In reality, most athletes do not belong to any of the above category. And by definition, most ‘athletes’ are weak….physically weak. This is not an opinion. This is what most strength and conditioning coaches will confirm. (And don’t misunderstand me. I am not being an elitist prick. There is a point to my post..)

Most skill coaches focus way too much on skills – being able to hit the baseball, being able to shoot the basketball, being able to catch a football, etc… Skill coaches focus on skill, then agility, then power, then strength.. When, in fact, the athlete should focus on strength as the foundation:

Strength-> Power->Agility-> Skill

Stronger athletes, with skills being relatively equal, will always defeat the weaker ones. Don’t get me wrong, skills in specific sports are obviously essential, but it is not the foundation. Skills are at the top of the pyramid, while strength should be the foundation of athleticism. I have seen a lot of young athletes who appear to be skilled at their sports, but they can’t do a single pull up, or they can’t do push-ups to military standard, or they can’t even squat half-their bodyweight. This is weakness. What do you think will happen to weak athletes in the field? Even if they got the skills, if they are weak they will get injured and get embarrassingly pushed around like a rag doll.

So to answer your question, it all depends on the athletes and their skill coaches. In other words, if an athlete does enough conditioning with his skill coach, then I , as the strength coach, will only focus on strength and power development. If it is off-season, I only focus on strength and power development. If it is in-season and the athlete tells me they only practice once a week, then I focus on conditioning.

As a general guideline, athletes should spend roughly 20% of their training time on strength development. The other 80% should be spent on skills / conditioning. 20%, that's all they need..

You have the right idea in your soccer example. Focus on general strength development. Make sure your athletes do squats, deadlifts, overhead press, pullups, dips, push-ups, cleans, push presses, etc.. Keep strength training old school and basic. Let the skill coaches worry about skill development.
    Last edited by NorwichGrad; 03-22-2012 at 12:31 PM.
    This above all..
    To thine ownself be true..
    And it must follow, as the night the day..
    Thou can'st not then be false to any man..
    -----------------------------------------------
    Bros, my Weightlifters and Powerlifters are my credentials.

Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Quistfitness View Post
    When a client has a sports betterment goal, always keep that as your focus. For your example the soccer player, do movements that are directly related to what they will be doing on the field. Each exercise should be relatable to an action that they must preform in their sport.

So, for a soccer player who's only goal is to get better at soccer, I would stay away from focusing souly on the upper body for a session, as there is no need for it. The time would be much better spent doing agility drills, quick reaction drills, leg strengthening, cardio vascular endurance, explosiveness off the line... etc. There are TONS of things you can do.
    This,
    But I would also ask them how much overall health is important to them. If they want to make it as a pro in their sport I'll probably do only things that will help them excell in their sport as stated above. But if it's someone who wants to get good at their sport because it's a hobby that they really like, they'll probably want to be good at some things that aren't specific to their sports to at least a small degree. For example, a weekend soccer player who cant do one pullup would probably want at least a few pullups even though it has no bearing on his soccer performance. Whereas someone who REALLY needs to be the best they can because their livelihood depends on it would probably say, "no, let's spend all of our time making me better at my sport"
    Sept of Baelor was an inside job. Wildfire can't melt stone masonry.

hungryone15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hungryone15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hungryone15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hungryone15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hungryone15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hungryone15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hungryone15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hungryone15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hungryone15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hungryone15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hungryone15 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I feel this thread is neglecting a big misconception:

- The idea of sports specific lifts is complete bs.

Let me try my best to explain. There are no exercises that can adequately mimic a shooting motion in basketball, the kicking motion in soccer, the hitting within football (at taking a hit), for example. These are all in one way or another "skills" - there's no way to be better at them than simply working on them.

HOWEVER, as a strength coach, you have the ability to build up and refine the foundational strength, power, activation & mobility patters, conditioning that relate to improving these skills. In other words, your goal as a strength coach should be to help your athlete be stronger, more powerful, better conditioned, and injury resistant - that's pretty much it. Using the analogy helping someone improve their jump by simply mimicking the jumping motion with weights in the training room is a good way to have them get hurt. Have them get holistically stronger with full range of motion squats (and gain balance in strength between muscle rooms) and the jumping will take care of itself when they return to sport. Another good example is having a soccer player simply perform endless leg extensions (because it is "sport specific" for kicking) - this is a sure way to injure an athlete for a number of reasons.

I hope it makes sense where I'm coming from.

And as for OP's comment about not training the upper body for a soccer player - I think that's a huge mistake. Upper body strength for soccer players is incredibly necessary - the strength of the upper body is need to counter the rotational forces created by the lower body. Furthermore, upper body strength is useful in soccer in holding off opponents and increasing the distance on throw ins.

And for the record, I train a number of D1 basketball and football players - not trying to brag, but just trying to show that I practice what I preach.

NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Quistfitness View Post

I basically agree. And it all depends on the individual athlete and the knowledge of the trainer / strenght coach.

Athletes only have to do a handful of general physical movements in the field. They must:

a) Accelerate
    b) Decelerate
    c) Move laterally
    d) Explode

Trainers and strength coaches must be careful so as not to overdo the skill development aspect of training. Let's keep using our soccer player as an example. I know absolutely nothing about soccer. All I know is that they kick the ball. In my head the kicking mimics leg extensions. And I am quite sure there are certain techniques to kicking the ball. Is it prudent of me to prescribe leg extensions to the player to make him a better athlete? It depends. Me personally, I would rather have him squat and do power cleans. If I tell him to do leg extension because I feel that it is specific to his kicking as a soccer player, I could potentially mess up his kicking technique. Makes sense?

It's kinda like strength training swimmers. They have certain arm technique when they freestyle. I would not want to mimic that movement in dryland if I know nothing about swimming skills. I could mess them up big time if I tell them to grab a set of cables and start flapping the way they would in the water. It would be best to have them to overhead press and pullups so that whatever good technique they already have, they will only get better and stronger at those specific movements as a result of them developing the general strength from doing pulldowns and overhead press. Makes sense?
    This above all..

YES!! I agree 1000%. You eloquently wrote what I was trying to say..

Originally Posted by hungryone15 View Post

- The idea of sports specific lifts is complete bs.

Let me try my best to explain. There are no exercises that can adequately mimic a shooting motion in basketball, the kicking motion in soccer, the hitting within football (at taking a hit), for example. These are all in one way or another "skills" - there's no way to be better at them than simply working on them.

HOWEVER, as a strength coach, you have the ability to build up and refine the foundational strength, power, activation & mobility patters, conditioning that relate to improving these skills. In other words, your goal as a strength coach should be to help your athlete be stronger, more powerful, better conditioned, and injury resistant - that's pretty much it. Using the analogy helping someone improve their jump by simply mimicking the jumping motion with weights in the training room is a good way to have them get hurt. Have them get holistically stronger with full range of motion squats (and gain balance in strength between muscle rooms) and the jumping will take care of itself when they return to sport. Another good example is having a soccer player simply perform endless leg extensions (because it is "sport specific" for kicking) - this is a sure way to injure an athlete for a number of reasons.

I hope it makes sense where I'm coming from.

And as for OP's comment about not training the upper body for a soccer player - I think that's a huge mistake. Upper body strength for soccer players is incredibly necessary - the strength of the upper body is need to counter the rotational forces created by the lower body. Furthermore, upper body strength is useful in soccer in holding off opponents and increasing the distance on throw ins.

And for the record, I train a number of D1 basketball and football players - not trying to brag, but just trying to show that I practice what I preach.
    This above all..

Wow thanks for the posts everyone and having a good discussion with some healthy debate. Nice to hear the various inputs and views of people. Keep it up.
    Never Accept Defeat
    Never Quit

mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Make sure to train in all three planes of motion.

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Josh86: Its simple there are four lifts that should be the core of all althetic weight lifting programs.
    1. squat
    2. dead lift
    3. over head press (Military press commen name)
    4. clean or clean and jerk
    Last one only if the trainer knows how to coach them.
    From this core of lifts you can start adding others depending on the athlets weaknesses.
    the major delopment of movement and skills should take place on the feild in game style eviroments.

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by carl.c View Post
    Josh86: Its simple there are four lifts that should be the core of all althetic weight lifting programs.
    1. squat
    2. dead lift
    3. over head press (Military press commen name)
    4. clean or clean and jerk
    Last one only if the trainer knows how to coach them.
    From this core of lifts you can start adding others depending on the athlets weaknesses.
    the major delopment of movement and skills should take place on the feild in game style eviroments.
    I strongly believe that the bench press should be included in that list. The bench press seems to have fallen out of fashion these days (due to its acosiation with t shirt muscles) but as far as functional goes, pushing forward is a pretty important movement to be strong in. Pulling with the assistance of the biceps should also be included, the pullup and its variation are hard to beat for this.

All this depends on the sport and the person so the debate can go on forever.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Bench is important but these four are the core. If I was creating a program the next thing I would add would be the bench.

drewkemp23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drewkemp23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Josh86 View Post

Discuss.
    I would say the most important lifts are all the hip explosive lifts. So I would say Cleans, DB Snatch are the 2 most important atleast for football because it gets youf aster more explosive and hit harder. Then squats for just pure leg strength because you cant get fast until you are strong and deadlift for the same reason. Switch it up between single leg and 2 leg. For football (safety) it is just because you want bulk. To bulk up you want to bench. You then want to do rows so that your muscle strength is balanced.

drewkemp23: the only thign you got right was the cleans and snatch. Only problem is most people don't know how to coach them. As for the squat its the single best lift for over all muscle activation hole body. Don't know where you heard the bench is the best for bulking but thats just sad sad sad.
    i would sujest you stop reaing muscle and fitness along with mens health and read a real pysiology and biomechics book.

pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by hungryone15 View Post

Glad someone finally pointed this out! The arms function much like a cats tail as a counter balance. Try making all those running movements with your arms locked at your sides.

Quistfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quistfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quistfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quistfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quistfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quistfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quistfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quistfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quistfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quistfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quistfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ... Touche good sir... Touche...
    You better enjoy the ride, because its a long road.