PaulaRenee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Arrow Brand new and no clue where to start!

Well hello BB ladies! I suppose I will start with a little background about me and let you know what I'm looking to do

I'm 24, 5'3"

hw:205lbs
    cw:153lbs
    And I don't really have a goal weight, just a goal look... and here's why:

I'm a year and a half into recovery for an eating disorder (bulimia) and I've had to work on accepting myself before I could even venture into getting "the body I wanted" because my goals were so unrealistic. Now granted I'm much, much better than I used to be but I still have tendencies, like not eating enough, overdoing it when I work out, and being super, incredibly, highly impatient. I want results, and I want them fast. I understand this is unlikely to impossible to get if I do it the right way... but please keep that in mind. I suppose what that translates to is I will need a heck of a lot of motivation! Haha

Currently I'm taking BSN Atro-Phex, EAS Myoplex Lite, and vitamin B12, biotin, and fish oil. Hopefully this will give me a good base supplement wise. I do have the unhealthy tendency to drink energy drinks but I'm trying to stick with the Atro-Phex for energy and Celcius drinks instead.

What I'm looking for is fat loss (definitely) but as for how much, I really don't know. Currently I'm a size 9/10 because I carry my weight weird, mainly shoulders and chest. My main goal is to be around a size 6 and be lean. I want a highly defined back, toned to mid-size muscular arms, and seriously muscular legs. It'd be nice for my stomach to have some definition but I can't even imagine myself with that sexy v-cut or a 6 pack... just... mildly toned would be nice. It wouldn't hurt if I had a curvier backside I suppose... but I'm not used to curves so that would be a change.

I'm working on getting my stamina up to run 15-20 min a day. I don't want to run a marathon, I just want to supplement weight training with a bit of cardio. I hate cardio and don't really want to be in the gym for more than an hour.

I need a plan. In laymen's terms preferably I don't know a cut from a bulk (what is that anyway? haha) and I know women can train like guys without bulking up but what weight should I start out with? And for the look I want, what kind of exercises should I even do? I tried to do some kind of lift yesterday (My boyfriend weight trains and just told me what to do to get used to it.) but all I lifted was the bar... so, 35/45lbs? I did 7 sets of 10 reps with just the bar and couldn't even lift my arms after. It got progressively harder and harder like it was supposed to, and if I pushed past what I did I know I couldn't have finished another set. This raises the question of how do I know what weight is going to give me results? I need specific lbs and sets.... because I've got no idea what I'm doing!

I've added a pic of what I'm starting with for reference

Thank you in advance for any advice!
    Attached Images

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    here's a sticky on how to calculate calories and macros and training program basics. i'd especially read the cardio bit.

other than that, being into recovery is not the same as being recovered. honestly, if you still have lingering issues, then hanging on this (or any other fitness/body image oriented forum) probably isn't in your best interests. many threads and discussions can be triggering and reinforce/feed into disordered behaviour.
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

Damn, it's good to be me! thepowerwithin's Avatar
    thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I agree with Miranda. Those stickies are the BASICS. It's difficult to proceed until those are understood and practiced.

We see it time and time again, the droves of the eating disordered coming here for a fix. Sometimes it actually works, sometimes the signs and symptoms are but exacerbated. We see the red flags all the time. Be careful .

A cut or bulk is simply eating at a caloric deficit or caloric surplus as a way to gain or lose body weight. Cut mostly a term reserved for a person who has a history of lifting and a degree of muscle base who mainly wants to lose fat to uncover beautiful muscle. Bulk is a term used when a person is underweight and/or has very little muscle base or already has muscle but wants more and eats at a caloric surplus while lifting heavy to add muscle along with inevitable mild fat gains, if your surplus is slight.

Thank you for the welcome, those sticky's will help.

I do believe you misread my post though, or misunderstood at the very least. I am a year and a half into a recovered state, meaning I have not "practiced" any kind of disordered eating habits. I definitely do not have to live under a rock the rest of my life because I'm upfront about my issues and other people may think I could be triggered. I will always have "lingering issues" but I would like to think I know my limits of what I can and can not handle. (Hence why I stayed away from things like this until now and the reason I'm asking for advice in the first place) I appreciate your concern and you would definitely know what goes on around here better than I would so I really do appreciate the input. It will make me aware to keep my eyes out for it and make things easier to avoid if need be.

Thank you for showing me where to find the basics, considering I'm new, I had no idea they were there.

darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by PaulaRenee View Post

I need a plan. In laymen's terms preferably I don't know a cut from a bulk (what is that anyway? haha) and I know women can train like guys without bulking up but what weight should I start out with? And for the look I want, what kind of exercises should I even do? I tried to do some kind of lift yesterday (My boyfriend weight trains and just told me what to do to get used to it.) but all I lifted was the bar... so, 35/45lbs? I did 7 sets of 10 reps with just the bar and couldn't even lift my arms after. It got progressively harder and harder like it was supposed to, and if I pushed past what I did I know I couldn't have finished another set. This raises the question of how do I know what weight is going to give me results? I need specific lbs and sets.... because I've got no idea what I'm doing!
    Welcome! What you're asking for here is basically impossible, though I applaud you for recognizing your limitations and seeking assistance. There are so many variations in strength from person to person - and even within the same individual when talking about different body parts - that recommending weights for specific exercises would be pointless.

So, there will be learning involved. Pick an exercise, understand what it's supposed to be working and how to do it. Perform the move with a very light weight, and try to establish a connection mentally with the area that's supposed to be working. Establish a target number of repetitions (10 is fine), and slowly increase the weight over time until it becomes difficult (this may happen very quick - and that's ok!). Seek to make slow, incremental progress over time - not necessarily from one workout to the next every time.
    Online trainer and contest prep coach
    fivestarrphysique.com
    youtube.com/fivestarrfitness

Originally Posted by darins View Post
    Welcome! What you're asking for here is basically impossible, though I applaud you for recognizing your limitations and seeking assistance. There are so many variations in strength from person to person - and even within the same individual when talking about different body parts - that recommending weights for specific exercises would be pointless.

So, there will be learning involved. Pick an exercise, understand what it's supposed to be working and how to do it. Perform the move with a very light weight, and try to establish a connection mentally with the area that's supposed to be working. Establish a target number of repetitions (10 is fine), and slowly increase the weight over time until it becomes difficult (this may happen very quick - and that's ok!). Seek to make slow, incremental progress over time - not necessarily from one workout to the next every time.
    Thank you! After reading those sticky's and hearing this I think I have a good base on how I need to start for me, which is nice I'm going to start with Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer just to get a good grip on base diet and my physical limitations. Gotta start somewhere!

darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by PaulaRenee View Post
    Thank you! After reading those sticky's and hearing this I think I have a good base on how I need to start for me, which is nice I'm going to start with Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer just to get a good grip on base diet and my physical limitations. Gotta start somewhere!
    Great! Just keep learning and continue to come back here and ask questions if and when things don't make sense. Good luck!
    Online trainer and contest prep coach
    fivestarrphysique.com
    youtube.com/fivestarrfitness