lotusrk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Body Fat percentage and Abs

I am in the early training stages for my first competition. I met with my trainer last week and according to his skin caliper test, I am at 11% body fat. The problem is, I still have belly fat. Most sources say that at 15% my abs should be showing. Has anyone else been this lean and had a hard time exposing your abdominals? how did you handle it?

illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There is no way you could be 11% bf as a female and not completely shredded. Just no way.

I am in no way a competitor, but I know when it comes down to it it's about how you look, not what any arbitrary bf measuring method says.

There are several members in this section who are actually knowledgeable when it comes to competing. If you posted pictures I'm sure they could offer their assistance.

lotusrk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by illiniStrive View Post
    There is no way you could be 11% bf as a female and not completely shredded. Just no way.

I am in no way a competitor, but I know when it comes down to it it's about how you look, not what any arbitrary bf measuring method says.
    I am ripped! My quads, calfs, arms all have excellent definition and are extremely lean I have no fat on my lower back, but still have a tiny bit of belly fat.

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    post pics. 'ripped' means different things to different people.

at 11% you'd have striations in your ass
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000)
    So you're like the one on the left?

Goal: Peace, love & happiness...and arms that go bump in the night.

“It's never been true, not anywhere at any time, that the value of a soul, of a human spirit, is dependent on a number on a scale" G. Roth

lotus0121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lotus0121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lotus0121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lotus0121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lotus0121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lotus0121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lotus0121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lotus0121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lotus0121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lotus0121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Somewhere between the left and middle, except for my tummy. I am just reporting what the trainer told me after a skin fold test. I was blown away, I thought I was much higher. I know skin fold test has a 3% error range.

He also said that I carry my weight more like a man since my arms and legs are so lean and I still have a small belly. I was just wondering if any other ladies had experienced this.

ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000)
    Calipers are also very very unreliable, not saying that you are not at 11% BF but that's very low for a woman and at that stage you should clearly be showing Abs. Without a pic it's very hard to tell.

I'm at ~20 ish % according to bod pod and I am starting to show abs. I would guess that 9 % lower I would show much more.
    ''Remember where you are posting (ie a body building forum) and the audience who is going to reply. If you just want someone to tell you you’re pretty, you’re slim/toned, ripped or correct in your craziness then please post somewhere else. '' ~Kjake55

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by lotus0121 View Post
    Somewhere between the left and middle, except for my tummy. I am just reporting what the trainer told me after a skin fold test. I was blown away, I thought I was much higher. I know skin fold test has a 3% error range.

He also said that I carry my weight more like a man since my arms and legs are so lean and I still have a small belly. I was just wondering if any other ladies had experienced this.
    Join date Mar 2012

Is that avi recent and your stats updated?

If so you are not at 11%...you're higher...

Feel free to post up some pics.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    Join date Mar 2012

Is that avi recent and your stats updated?

If so you are not at 11%...you're higher...

Feel free to post up some pics.
    Agreed, I don't think most people who haven't been around here long realize what 11% looks like on a woman. Calipers can be far from accurate. If you were truly 11%, you wouldn't be asking how to shed fat from anywhere.

OP, check out the body fat % thread here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...3726731&page=7

There are people who have had very accurate methods to track their body fat (like DEXA) so I'm guessing it'll give a bit of a reality check.

You can't spot reduce, you can only build up what is lacking and then lose fat all over.
    On a mini-cut, then onto maintenance mode for the summer.

wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000)
    No way 11%. I'm low 20s I reckon now and I can see top 2 abs and some separation in my quads. At 11% you would be shredded as.

new heights of badassity summertown74's Avatar
    summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Doesn't matter the number, OP. Whether 11% is right or not, you should disregard that number. If you still have fat on your belly, but are ripped everywhere else, then you can either continue to lose fat until your belly is where you want it & then assess the rest of your body; or you can choose to stop cutting & start building again so that your abs show at a higher bodyfat. That's how I see it anyways. BTW, you look great, based on that one pic!
    wabi sabi...the art of finding beauty in the imperfections of life.

darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Most bio-impedence methods have a margin of error of +/- 3%, if used correctly (big if). Caliper tests have a margin of error ranging from 0 to infinity, based on the skill of the individual wielding the tool.

summertown74 is spot on - forget the number and keep doing what you're doing. If you're training for a show, the body fat percentage is a curiousity, not the most useful thing. Use your eyes and trust them. Also, use other people's eyes too - many people are their own worst critic and have a difficult time seeing improvement in their weak areas.
    Online trainer and contest prep coach
    fivestarrphysique.com
    youtube.com/fivestarrfitness

bfit23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have the same problem! Lean and cut cept for belly! Everyone is caught up on your body fat % but they havent given advice on the belly fat! Grrr. good luck keep at it!

LunicaAshes is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunicaAshes is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunicaAshes is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunicaAshes is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunicaAshes is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunicaAshes is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunicaAshes is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunicaAshes is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunicaAshes is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunicaAshes is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunicaAshes is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by bfit23 View Post
    I have the same problem! Lean and cut cept for belly! Everyone is caught up on your body fat % but they havent given advice on the belly fat! Grrr. good luck keep at it!
    The point is that if she really isn't at 11%, that is why her abs aren't showing. Belly fat isn't special. You get rid of it just like the rest, it just may be the last to go because of how one stores fat.