tymarbry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation NASM Cert worth it?

Hello BB.com membs,

Im currently looking into getting the NASM Cert package to take the exam and become certified. I just wanted to ask a few questions before I make that decision.

Are personal trainers in demand nationwide? We are in an economic depression after all, might as well be sure I can land a job after spending like $800.

Is the test passable with just the basic package? (Just the exam?) Does anyone know what materials that are used to study for the exam without buying it from the NASM.org website?

Im excited to start a career in this stuff but you must have a market to have an income right? thanks for the info. Please excuse misspelled words.

kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kristinpete38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Well I'm not sure whether or not there is a market for it in Kansas. I guess it depends on the sorts of people you live around. Cheap? Rich? Concerned with looks? So Cal probably has the largest market for trainers - everyone is concerned with their looks and willing to spend their money. On top of that, there are a lot of rich people down there.

I felt that the NASM was really great/useful information. But if you're worried about money, I may recommend a cheaper, though still recognized, certification. Employers aren't likely to try to differentiate between the NASM and the ACSM or the NSCA (the top three, one of which you should get). NASM is great for corporate gym work where you'll deal with deconditioned, injury prone individuals, as is the ACSM(the parent figure of most other current certifications). NSCA is great for strength and conditioning - for those who are dealing with clients in slightly better shape and looking to build or perform well. I hear that some corporate gyms require the NASM. I haven't heard that from any of the gyms I am around. None will consider you having the NSCA a drawback. It is the most prestigious, and has only about a 50% pass rate(?recheck the statistic). It is very difficult - it concerns a lot more of the science behind the exercise. All three have very nice reputations, so you'll be set with either one. If money is an issue, I would recommend getting one of the others.

Don't hesitate to contact the gyms around you with questions like this - whether or not they require a particular certification in order to work for them.

BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500)
    id just go with ace for a coorperate gym job. much more affordable and just as good imo

Guess I forgot to mention that I live in the 5th wealthiest counties in the US. But I myself am very poor haha.

I called the gyms around the area and they all want a NASM as the Cert, because they consider it the most desired/well rounded I guess.

I do want to train people for strength rather than recovery but you can choose what life your dealt or where you are born. Stuck in kansas so I dont think people are that concerned with Image as much as prolonged life and health.

Ill ask the gyms if theyll still take the other *****. THanks for the info

Registered User JoeCannonMSCSCS's Avatar
    JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Why cant you just study the NASM materials and get a less expensive cert? as your local gyms what ***** they accept and find one that fits in your budget. you may be able to find the materials cheaper on ebay or craigs list. Here is something from one of my websites that might help you http://personaltrainersunited.com/na...sonal-trainer/

I hope this helps
    Joe
    Joe Cannon, MS
    Joe-Cannon.com
    SupplementClarity.com

bryan101b has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bryan101b has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bryan101b has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bryan101b has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bryan101b has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bryan101b has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bryan101b has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bryan101b has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bryan101b has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bryan101b has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bryan101b has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    well, i believe the nasm cert test are taken online at home on your computer, so...

worth it? well, just about any gym will take you if you have it.

is it a quality cert? thats debatable.
    NCSA-CPT
    Solo
    Precision Nutrition Level 1 certified

Ectopower is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ectopower is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ectopower is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ectopower is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ectopower is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ectopower is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ectopower is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ectopower is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ectopower is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ectopower is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ectopower is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am currently studying the NASM CPT, a buddy of mine is studying for his PT cert through penn foster (NCSF) he flipped through the nasm book and was shocked how much more in depth it is VS his material.

Bryan101b- for the NASM exam you have to go to a PSI testing center where they make sure you have an ID and CPR cert in hand before testing.

Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bryan101b View Post
    well, i believe the nasm cert test are taken online at home on your computer, so...

worth it? well, just about any gym will take you if you have it.

is it a quality cert? thats debatable.
    The NASM CPT has to be taken at the nearest PSI Laser (on a computer yes, but NOT at home) testing facility and it is timed. There are some certifications where you're allowed to do it at home, with testing materials (since you're at home not being watched...) open book, etc., but this doesn't apply for the NASM CPT.

Edit: Tired and didn't see your post Ectopower saying a similar thing, oops!
    Never Accept Defeat
    Never Quit
    You Deserve What You Settle For

Check out my past completed supplement log(s):
    LG Sciences Cold Fusion EX - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=385525371#post385525371
    LG Sciences Anadraulic State - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=402458291#post402458291
    LG Sciences Anadraulic State GT & Anadraulic Pump - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=472949631#post472949631

Ascendant78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well, since most gyms in your area seem to require NASM, it would probably be your best bet. A good question to ask in advance, however, would be how many of them actually need trainers? Since the recession, this industry has taken a huge hit, and it is extremely competitive. You will spend far more time doing sales and marketing than you will personal training, at least for the first 6-12 months, if not more. Even after that, sales will still be a big part of your career, with trying to retain clients, getting referrals from those clients, etc. Personal training has very little to do with actually training people, and far more about selling yourself.

To start out, you are going to want to get experience in a gym. Trying to go freelance is extremely difficult, and takes some serious experience with networking to make it happen (unless you already have a following of course). You do have an advantage with being in an area that is high-income, but it still won't be easy at all. If you are serious about pursuing this and don't mind sales, get the NASM cert and start immediately getting hands-on experience in a local health club. Try to work in one that will offer you sales training and a specific method to their sales strategies, rather than one that leaves you to fend for yourself. A corporation is usually the best suited for this. Though a corporation isn't necessarily a place you'd want to be in for the long-haul, it is a great place to learn from and grow.

This is really just the tip of the iceberg here, but trying to help as much as I can as I have been in the industry now for about 15 years. Feel free to check out my business page linked in my signature for more information or if you'd like to ask me any other questions directly. Best of luck to you.

*Edit* - apparently since I'm new here, it won't let me post url's, so can't link my website.

You could always email me the information if youd like. Its a big help.

tymarbry@gmail.com

thanks alot for your help

Ascendant78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by tymarbry View Post
    You could always email me the information if youd like. Its a big help.

tymarbry@gmail.com

thanks alot for your help
    Glad to help, and my url should be in my signature now, at least I hope, lol.