jerseystevenuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jerseystevenuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jerseystevenuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jerseystevenuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lightbulb Sorry for the noob question :( need help please

HI GUYS,

SORRY ABOUT THE NOOB QUESTION BUT I AM SO STCUK WITH ALL OF THE NUTRITIONAL SIDE TO THIS.

OK SO I AM WONDERING HOW MUCH......

PROTIEN

CARBS

FAT

I SHOULD BE TAKING IN DAILY.

I AM CURRENTLY TAKING A SIMPLE WHEY SHAKE, 5g CRETAINE AND C4 AS A PREWORKOUT SHAKE.

I AM MALE, 5FT 10.5 AND WEIGH 145LBS.

MUCH APPRICEATED AND WILL REP BACK.
    (If you rep me, I rep you back)

Bulk to 165lbs [X]

Cut to 10% [ ]

Bench 150kg[ ]

theconomist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) theconomist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) theconomist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) theconomist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) theconomist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) theconomist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) theconomist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) theconomist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) theconomist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) theconomist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) theconomist has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    2g of protein per kg of body fat, cut carbs and fats when losing weight .

Hubert007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hubert007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hubert007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hubert007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hubert007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hubert007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hubert007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hubert007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hubert007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hubert007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hubert007 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jerseystevenuk View Post
    HI GUYS,

SORRY ABOUT THE NOOB QUESTION BUT I AM SO STCUK WITH ALL OF THE NUTRITIONAL SIDE TO THIS.

OK SO I AM WONDERING HOW MUCH......

PROTIEN

CARBS

FAT

I SHOULD BE TAKING IN DAILY.

I AM CURRENTLY TAKING A SIMPLE WHEY SHAKE, 5g CRETAINE AND C4 AS A PREWORKOUT SHAKE.

I AM MALE, 5FT 10.5 AND WEIGH 145LBS.

MUCH APPRICEATED AND WILL REP BACK.
    You should be taking 1g of protein for every 1lb of your body weight so you should be eating/drinking around 145grams of protein a day.

Fat and carbs depends on what you are trying to do bulk/cut but you should try to keep the fat on the low side

jerseystevenuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jerseystevenuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jerseystevenuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jerseystevenuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Hubert007 View Post
    You should be taking 1g of protein for every 1lb of your body weight so you should be eating/drinking around 145grams of protein a day.

Fat and carbs depends on what you are trying to do bulk/cut but you should try to keep the fat on the low side
    cheers bro, just looked at your progress pics, nice transformation there! how did you do it cut or bulk because im roughly the same weight as you and just a little taller.... cheers!

Bulk to 165lbs [X]

Cut to 10% [ ]

Bench 150kg[ ]

eabc1804 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eabc1804 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eabc1804 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eabc1804 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eabc1804 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eabc1804 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eabc1804 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eabc1804 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eabc1804 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eabc1804 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eabc1804 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Sorry about this, first post back and I wanted to see if I could merk a question to help someone. And this is the kind of stuff you REALLY need to learn yourself. So you're in for quite a read...

It all depends on what type of nutrition you want, do you want to cut or do you want to bulk?
    This will generally gauge how many calories you want to take in. On a cut you're looking at taking 500 calories less than your maintenance or 10-15% less calories, whichever one is the smaller of the two, which in your case would be the 10-15% (yes, some of you want to slap me for saying that - I do too in all honesty, but if you want a nice good bulk and a careful way to clean up diet... deal with it - eventually that 10-15% will be higher than your 500 calories and then you'll be sorry).

Now, how are you going to work out your maintenance? Well in the best advice I can give you, rather than finding a calculator online to do it for you - learn to find it out and do the math behind it yourself - you can then write it in a log and be a lot more pleased with any work you put into it.

Finding maintenance is finding your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure), which in turn means finding your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). There are two equations that would normally be used for BMR - so take a good look at them and see which one is best for you, or rather most easily accessible for you.

Harris Benedict Equation for BMR -

So you don't know your bodyfat percentage and therefore lean body mass. This means if you don't have calipers or access to somewhere you can find out your bodyfat percentage - you should really use this equation. It tends to be less accurate but is more easily accessible for most people. The equation is as such:

Women: BMR = 655 = + (9.6 * Kg weight) + (1.8 * cm height) - (4.7 * age in years)

Men: BMR = 66 + (13.7 * Kg weight) + (5 * cm Height) - (6.8 * age in years)

Conversion from lbs to kg - lbs / 2.2
    Conversion from inches to cm - inch * 2.54

So, as an example I will work yours out for you:

BMR = 66 + (13.7 * [145 / 2.2]) + (5 * [70.5 * 2.54]) - (6.8 * 19)

= 1735.15 calories for BMR

This equation is only made bad when the person is overly fat or overly muscular, where it will highly OVERESTIMATE overly fat and highly UNDERESTIMATE overly muscular.

Now for the Katch McCardle formula:

This is more accurate, takes lean body mass into account - which is really what you should be thinking of doing...

BMR = 370 + (21.6 x lean body mass Kg)

I have no idea of your bodyfat percentage, so can't work it out for you properly. I'll continue using the value I did the math for earlier...

Total Daily Energy Expenditure -

You should multiply the value for BMR that you have got based on your activity level:

Sedentary (very little exercise + sedentary job): BMR x 1.2

Lightly Active (light exercise, walk or sports up to 3 days/week): BMR x 1.375

Moderately Active(moderate exercise, jog or sports 3- 5 days/week): BMR x 1.55

Very Active(Frequent exercise, jog or sorts 6-7 days/week): BMR x 1.725

Extremely Active (Daily hard exercise, hard physical work, Hard sport): BMR x 1.9

I'm going to say you're probably on a 4 day split, or will atleast use it as an example (moderately active is best overall for me to assume how much exercise you get).

So 1735.15 * 1.55 = 2689.4 calories for maintenance. Once again I do not know how many days you spend in the gym or working out a week and can't tell you how hard you work out... so this value is rough.

Cutting -

In a circumstance such as this where the calories are well above the minimum you SHOULD take in (1800 a day I believe, I have heard quotes of 1500 - but sue me, no one I help needs to dramatically lose their bulk), you are able to reduce your calories by 500. Thus you could take in 2189.4 calories each day rather than 2689.4. To lose 1lb of fat per week, you need a deficit of 3500 calories over that entire week.

You can always use a safer but slower approach, which WILL work far better with most people's metabolisms (due to the reduced amount of change) but will work slower because of this and fat won't be shed anywhere near as fast. The body prefers gradual changes in terms of metabolism, a big shock to the system may well confuse it and stop the metabolism changing as much. So let's go with 15% of 2689.4 = 403.1. Now looking at this value, yes it is lower, but only by about a fifth, this is up to you whether you pick to deficit the 500 calories or go with the 403.1.

For cutting, I'd probably use a split as follows for my diet:

40/45/15 - Protein/Carbs/Fat. I don't think everyone will agree, some will even go - WHAT THE DAMNED HELL BRAH!? That is their problem and their choice, not mine, I'm giving you the same advice I'd give anyone else.

Bulking -

This is essentially the complete opposite to the cutting, instead of having a deficit, you increase the number of calories. Bringing you to either 3092.5 calories or 3189.4 calories. As it is BULKING I would suggest you use the lower of the two values - this will limit the amount of fat you put on from 'extra calories' and drive more of those calories towards packing on lean muscle mass.

For the diet:

40/40/20 - Protein/Carbs/Fat. It's not much different, fats have been increased for the extra energy you might require to push that little extra weight, and carbs are decreased in it's place.

Now, other methods to do this (as some of the lovely members of bodybuilding.com have just posted before) include these:

1.6g to 2.0g of protein per kg of bodyweight (better to do so as replacing the word bodyweight with lean body mass). I'd normally say around 1.8g would be the ideal figure, but it all depends on what works for your body.

Now... here comes the actual annoying/fun part... lets talk about real food and real body types. You should ideally find out your bodytype or ****totype (in your case more than likely ectomorph). So here are the body types:

Ectomorph - skinny, hard to put on fat and hard to put on muscle. Your real hard gainer. Body tends to stay the same width down, no real change in shape.
    Mesomorph - genetically 'gifted', finds putting on muscle easy, general triangle - wide shoulders, smallish waist, fair sized hips.
    Endomorph - fat, finds it extremely hard to lose fat but also has some good potential to chuck on muscle mass. Tends to be more pear shaped and wider at the hips.

Each of these will need a different style of diet, ectomorphs metabolism is sky rocketing - so you need to SLOW that metabolism down for you to put on weight. With a mesomorph, the metabolism is at just the right amount, a nutrition plan with this could be easier than the other two. An Endomorph's metabolism lacks - so you need to find a way to INCREASE it.

Hardly anybody is really one specific ****totype, they may just be more like one than the others, but they are generally a mixture. Look in the mirror to see which one you honestly would say you're closer to. Then come up with a nutrition plan based on that.

Judging by your weight and height, I'd put you in the ectomorph category - which means it should look more like this:

Do not follow everyone's approach of having 5/6+ meals a day. Your metabolism is already high and you won't be able to pack on the muscle easily. You want to slow it down and the best way to do so would be around 3-4 meals a day. Remember, all these meals SHOULD NOT look like this (rough example on calories):

Meal 1: 800 calories
    Meal 2: 800 calories
    Meal 3: 800 calories
    Meal 4: 800 calories

Total = 3200 calories (using BULKING as an example).

Yes 800 calories a meal could be considered a lot to take in for some people, so if you need to add one more meal to lower it slightly per meal, be my guest. Just listen to your body. And I tell you now, if you have all your meals the same size - your body will make no real effort to change metabolism. Just like when you lift weights, vary the sizes of the meals - atleast give it something to confuse it and give it more motivation to change the way it is working to best suit the task at hand.

Proteins you SHOULD eat (low fat content):
    - Chicken
    - Turkey
    - Fish (also good for good fats and oils which your body needs), ESPECIALLY TUNA.
    - Eggs
    - LEAN MEATS (not burger king or any of that rubbish).
    - Beans and legumes
    - Tablespoon or 2 of peanut butter (will help with good fats)

Carbs you SHOULD eat:
    - Wholemeal or wholewheat products
    - Non-refined products
    - Low sugar products

Avoid:
    - Fruits that are high in simple sugars
    - Acidic or citrus fruit (yes they are high in vitamins, but you take a look at what kind of sugars and carbs you're taking in - this is why I stated them seperately from normal fruits)
    - White rice, bread, etc
    - High in saturated fats

Also avoid drinking any milk that isn't LOW FAT. The amount of fat in most people's milk will cause a lovely break down of the lean form that everyone wants. Instead say hello to gut and lbs beyond your wildest dreams!

I don't know really now if I even merked this question, I haven't really done much but give you assistance on finding out yourself - but now you aren't just stuck with noobie information, go out there and LEARN what works for you and LISTEN to your body. If your body is not making a change, then you are not planning your nutrition correctly and you might aswell just eat crap.

Sorry if anyone disagrees, personal opinion and information I learn as I go through life. Hope it helps though .

Eddie

Originally Posted by eabc1804 View Post
    Sorry about this, first post back and I wanted to see if I could merk a question to help someone. And this is the kind of stuff you REALLY need to learn yourself. So you're in for quite a read...

It all depends on what type of nutrition you want, do you want to cut or do you want to bulk?
    This will generally gauge how many calories you want to take in. On a cut you're looking at taking 500 calories less than your maintenance or 10-15% less calories, whichever one is the smaller of the two, which in your case would be the 10-15% (yes, some of you want to slap me for saying that - I do too in all honesty, but if you want a nice good bulk and a careful way to clean up diet... deal with it - eventually that 10-15% will be higher than your 500 calories and then you'll be sorry).

Now, how are you going to work out your maintenance? Well in the best advice I can give you, rather than finding a calculator online to do it for you - learn to find it out and do the math behind it yourself - you can then write it in a log and be a lot more pleased with any work you put into it.

Finding maintenance is finding your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure), which in turn means finding your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). There are two equations that would normally be used for BMR - so take a good look at them and see which one is best for you, or rather most easily accessible for you.

Harris Benedict Equation for BMR -

So you don't know your bodyfat percentage and therefore lean body mass. This means if you don't have calipers or access to somewhere you can find out your bodyfat percentage - you should really use this equation. It tends to be less accurate but is more easily accessible for most people. The equation is as such:

Women: BMR = 655 = + (9.6 * Kg weight) + (1.8 * cm height) - (4.7 * age in years)

Men: BMR = 66 + (13.7 * Kg weight) + (5 * cm Height) - (6.8 * age in years)

Conversion from lbs to kg - lbs / 2.2
    Conversion from inches to cm - inch * 2.54

So, as an example I will work yours out for you:

BMR = 66 + (13.7 * [145 / 2.2]) + (5 * [70.5 * 2.54]) - (6.8 * 19)

= 1735.15 calories for BMR

This equation is only made bad when the person is overly fat or overly muscular, where it will highly OVERESTIMATE overly fat and highly UNDERESTIMATE overly muscular.

Now for the Katch McCardle formula:

This is more accurate, takes lean body mass into account - which is really what you should be thinking of doing...

BMR = 370 + (21.6 x lean body mass Kg)

I have no idea of your bodyfat percentage, so can't work it out for you properly. I'll continue using the value I did the math for earlier...

Total Daily Energy Expenditure -

You should multiply the value for BMR that you have got based on your activity level:

Sedentary (very little exercise + sedentary job): BMR x 1.2

Lightly Active (light exercise, walk or sports up to 3 days/week): BMR x 1.375

Moderately Active(moderate exercise, jog or sports 3- 5 days/week): BMR x 1.55

Very Active(Frequent exercise, jog or sorts 6-7 days/week): BMR x 1.725

Extremely Active (Daily hard exercise, hard physical work, Hard sport): BMR x 1.9

I'm going to say you're probably on a 4 day split, or will atleast use it as an example (moderately active is best overall for me to assume how much exercise you get).

So 1735.15 * 1.55 = 2689.4 calories for maintenance. Once again I do not know how many days you spend in the gym or working out a week and can't tell you how hard you work out... so this value is rough.

Cutting -

In a circumstance such as this where the calories are well above the minimum you SHOULD take in (1800 a day I believe, I have heard quotes of 1500 - but sue me, no one I help needs to dramatically lose their bulk), you are able to reduce your calories by 500. Thus you could take in 2189.4 calories each day rather than 2689.4. To lose 1lb of fat per week, you need a deficit of 3500 calories over that entire week.

You can always use a safer but slower approach, which WILL work far better with most people's metabolisms (due to the reduced amount of change) but will work slower because of this and fat won't be shed anywhere near as fast. The body prefers gradual changes in terms of metabolism, a big shock to the system may well confuse it and stop the metabolism changing as much. So let's go with 15% of 2689.4 = 403.1. Now looking at this value, yes it is lower, but only by about a fifth, this is up to you whether you pick to deficit the 500 calories or go with the 403.1.

For cutting, I'd probably use a split as follows for my diet:

40/45/15 - Protein/Carbs/Fat. I don't think everyone will agree, some will even go - WHAT THE DAMNED HELL BRAH!? That is their problem and their choice, not mine, I'm giving you the same advice I'd give anyone else.

Bulking -

This is essentially the complete opposite to the cutting, instead of having a deficit, you increase the number of calories. Bringing you to either 3092.5 calories or 3189.4 calories. As it is BULKING I would suggest you use the lower of the two values - this will limit the amount of fat you put on from 'extra calories' and drive more of those calories towards packing on lean muscle mass.

For the diet:

40/40/20 - Protein/Carbs/Fat. It's not much different, fats have been increased for the extra energy you might require to push that little extra weight, and carbs are decreased in it's place.

Now, other methods to do this (as some of the lovely members of bodybuilding.com have just posted before) include these:

1.6g to 2.0g of protein per kg of bodyweight (better to do so as replacing the word bodyweight with lean body mass). I'd normally say around 1.8g would be the ideal figure, but it all depends on what works for your body.

Now... here comes the actual annoying/fun part... lets talk about real food and real body types. You should ideally find out your bodytype or ****totype (in your case more than likely ectomorph). So here are the body types:

Ectomorph - skinny, hard to put on fat and hard to put on muscle. Your real hard gainer. Body tends to stay the same width down, no real change in shape.
    Mesomorph - genetically 'gifted', finds putting on muscle easy, general triangle - wide shoulders, smallish waist, fair sized hips.
    Endomorph - fat, finds it extremely hard to lose fat but also has some good potential to chuck on muscle mass. Tends to be more pear shaped and wider at the hips.

Each of these will need a different style of diet, ectomorphs metabolism is sky rocketing - so you need to SLOW that metabolism down for you to put on weight. With a mesomorph, the metabolism is at just the right amount, a nutrition plan with this could be easier than the other two. An Endomorph's metabolism lacks - so you need to find a way to INCREASE it.

Hardly anybody is really one specific ****totype, they may just be more like one than the others, but they are generally a mixture. Look in the mirror to see which one you honestly would say you're closer to. Then come up with a nutrition plan based on that.

Judging by your weight and height, I'd put you in the ectomorph category - which means it should look more like this:

Do not follow everyone's approach of having 5/6+ meals a day. Your metabolism is already high and you won't be able to pack on the muscle easily. You want to slow it down and the best way to do so would be around 3-4 meals a day. Remember, all these meals SHOULD NOT look like this (rough example on calories):

Meal 1: 800 calories
    Meal 2: 800 calories
    Meal 3: 800 calories
    Meal 4: 800 calories

Total = 3200 calories (using BULKING as an example).

Yes 800 calories a meal could be considered a lot to take in for some people, so if you need to add one more meal to lower it slightly per meal, be my guest. Just listen to your body. And I tell you now, if you have all your meals the same size - your body will make no real effort to change metabolism. Just like when you lift weights, vary the sizes of the meals - atleast give it something to confuse it and give it more motivation to change the way it is working to best suit the task at hand.

Proteins you SHOULD eat (low fat content):
    - Chicken
    - Turkey
    - Fish (also good for good fats and oils which your body needs), ESPECIALLY TUNA.
    - Eggs
    - LEAN MEATS (not burger king or any of that rubbish).
    - Beans and legumes
    - Tablespoon or 2 of peanut butter (will help with good fats)

Carbs you SHOULD eat:
    - Wholemeal or wholewheat products
    - Non-refined products
    - Low sugar products

Avoid:
    - Fruits that are high in simple sugars
    - Acidic or citrus fruit (yes they are high in vitamins, but you take a look at what kind of sugars and carbs you're taking in - this is why I stated them seperately from normal fruits)
    - White rice, bread, etc
    - High in saturated fats

Also avoid drinking any milk that isn't LOW FAT. The amount of fat in most people's milk will cause a lovely break down of the lean form that everyone wants. Instead say hello to gut and lbs beyond your wildest dreams!

I don't know really now if I even merked this question, I haven't really done much but give you assistance on finding out yourself - but now you aren't just stuck with noobie information, go out there and LEARN what works for you and LISTEN to your body. If your body is not making a change, then you are not planning your nutrition correctly and you might aswell just eat crap.

Sorry if anyone disagrees, personal opinion and information I learn as I go through life. Hope it helps though .

Eddie
    WOW! Thanks Mate, Thats Really Helped Me.

DEFINETLY REPPED!

Bulk to 165lbs [X]

Cut to 10% [ ]

Bench 150kg[ ]

xMLS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xMLS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xMLS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xMLS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xMLS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xMLS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xMLS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xMLS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xMLS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xMLS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xMLS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hopefully my input will help out, as other people already said what I would have, but what you want in your nutrition is that you want lower fat, higher carbs, and as stated in other posts you need 1g of protein for every pound of lean mass, meaning your weight minus body fat weight. You also need to make sure you are eating the right foods, and not just a ton of processed or junk foods, organic food is a good route to take, and with sugar intake, try to get them from natural sugars like from fruits etc; Other than that just eat eat eat and hit it hard. Good luck with everything and keep us posted on your progress!

Illumination has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Illumination has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Illumination has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Illumination has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Illumination has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Illumination has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Illumination has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just get that protein, man.

Originally Posted by xmls View Post
    hopefully my input will help out, as other people already said what i would have, but what you want in your nutrition is that you want lower fat, higher carbs, and as stated in other posts you need 1g of protein for every pound of lean mass, meaning your weight minus body fat weight. You also need to make sure you are eating the right foods, and not just a ton of processed or junk foods, organic food is a good route to take, and with sugar intake, try to get them from natural sugars like from fruits etc; other than that just eat eat eat and hit it hard. Good luck with everything and keep us posted on your progress!
    cheers for the advice and willl do

Bulk to 165lbs [X]

Cut to 10% [ ]

Bench 150kg[ ]