kjtolman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can lifting and long distance running mix?

I have been lurking on this site for a while now. Everyone on here is such a huge inspiration and the posts are incredibly informative. This site has led me to make some life changes. I have been lifting for over three weeks and to my utter amazement, I am already seeing bigger changes than I saw after two years of long distance running (40-50 miles a week). I'm hooked. I follow the diet plans on the site to the letter, dropped the alcohol, dropped cardio way, way down to no more than 30 mins at a time, lift heavy and wow...what a difference.

But....

There is one last challenge on the ole bucket list that I'd love to scratch off first before I hang my running shoes up. There is an ultra marathon in July. I will be through the 12 wk plan I am currently following by the time I would need to start picking my distance training up in May. Now the question - how badly will it set me back if I keep doing what I am doing until May and then start running 40 miles every weekend? I desperately want to do this - it's a 60K that starts at night, in South Texas heat in the middle of summer, and on dirt trails (come on, what sane person wouldn't want to do that, lol?) but I am so scared of sabotaging all the gains I hope to have by then.

So please tell me...is there anything I can do to (nutrition, etc) to be able to do this race without taking too many steps back?

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    As long as you eat enough and rest enough then you should be just fine.
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

kaylerae has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The past 4 marathons I have ran I did with hardly any cardio training.. and felt great throughout races. I'm all for weights and endurance sports are all in your head anyways, at least I'm convinced.

ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000)

kjtolman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you all for your responses. I read the article and feel much better about it. I will keep the calories up when I start building the miles up. Looking forward to the challenge. Thank you all again.

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If running is something you love, you shouldn't stop doing it. That's silly. I still run. If I was running for fat loss, that's one thing. But it's my therapy. And one-on-one time on wooded trails with my dog. The tragedy would be stopping, not continuing.
    Sheriff John Brown always hated me
    For what I don't know
    Every time I plant a seed
    He said kill them before they grow

sbo1490 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by kaylerae View Post
    The past 4 marathons I have ran I did with hardly any cardio training.. and felt great throughout races. I'm all for weights and endurance sports are all in your head anyways, at least I'm convinced.
    hi
    did you manage to do the marathon and preserve muscle? i have done a marathon before but now want to do it again in sub 4 (cutting 20mins off time) but ive done well to build muscle since my last marathon and i really would not want to lose it- can i just make sure im not in calorie deficit and eat back my runs/ ++ carbs ? then on race days keep on top of the gels?
    thanks !!