tatherton23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tatherton23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tatherton23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tatherton23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tatherton23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tatherton23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tatherton23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

trying to think in terms of diet<life. Having trouble..

At about 8:30, I had my last meal of the day, some cc and pb. Good amount of fat. I hit my calorie goal of 3000 for my bulking diet and was going to go to sleep early so I could grow. Then a girl texts me and wants to meet me for a drink. On a Wednesday. Normally I'd decline because alcohol+excess calories and recent fat take=fat gain and lower protein synthesis. But I've been avoiding social situations all year for this reason and that can't be healthy either. I'm in college and I'm pushed to go out and drink at least 3 nights a week and I usually try to keep it at 0-1. How do you guys balance out life and your diet when alcohol is such a key part of our culture's social equation?

The worst thing is people have come to think I'm some kind of overly religious person as I'm constantly refusing drinks handed to me and that's not my personality at all. I used to love to party and I still like to have a good time when I'm out.

Would it be better to go on a cutting diet if I'm going to drink so those extra calories won't turn to fat? I feel like it's really risky to drink on a bulk cause there's a good chance those extra calories are going to be turned into fat.

2012reso is just really nice. (+1000) 2012reso is just really nice. (+1000) 2012reso is just really nice. (+1000) 2012reso is just really nice. (+1000) 2012reso is just really nice. (+1000) 2012reso is just really nice. (+1000) 2012reso is just really nice. (+1000) 2012reso is just really nice. (+1000) 2012reso is just really nice. (+1000) 2012reso is just really nice. (+1000) 2012reso is just really nice. (+1000)
    Honestly I'm in pretty much the same situation as you (cutting diet), only I drink 2-3 nights a week. My thinking is it's college, it's only 4 years, and I want to live it to the fullest. You'll probably regret it if you don't. I can take my diet real serious when I graduate. I still workout 5x week/eat healthily and if anything my progress has been faster than I expected. Just don't take yourself too seriously.

TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000) TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000) TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000) TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000) TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000) TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000) TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000) TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000) TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000) TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000) TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by tatherton23 View Post
    Would it be better to go on a cutting diet if I'm going to drink so those extra calories won't turn to fat?
    First of all, think about that statement for a minute...that is basically the equivalent of being on a bulk and just saving up your calories all day so you can drink instead.

Regardless, let me give you a bit of advice based on personal experience. I spent my entire undergrad career playing a D1 sport where strength coaches and nutritionists regulated almost everything I ate and knew if I was cheating on nutrition with bi-monthly weigh-ins and hydrostatic bodyfat tests, not to mention strength tests. I eventually learned to go out, not drink at all, and still have a good time, but I would NOT recommend trying to do this.

I did have fun, and I got drunk at least once a week, but had to go hard in the gym to make up for it. However, there came a point where it wasn't even worth it. It's not just the drinking, but as you've mentioned, its the image that others begin to develop about you that made things tough for me. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it), I spent another 4 years with post-grad studies on campus when I was no longer playing a sport. Those 4 yrs were leaps and bounds better than the first 4 because I didn't have the mental pressure of not being able to drink.

So my suggestion would be to loosen up on your diet if you're feeling oppressed. You can't get those college years back. If some chick calls you late night to get drinks, then go. If all your buddies are heading to party and you want to go, then do it. Try to stay away from beer. Bring hard liquor and mix it with flavored club soda or a low cal or zero cal water enhancer. 3 words: CrystalLight + Vodka + shot. It'll hit you quicker than regular beer and with less calories.

prolvr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) prolvr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) prolvr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) prolvr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) prolvr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) prolvr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) prolvr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) prolvr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) prolvr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) prolvr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) prolvr has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Life > Bodybuilding
    It's your physique; train as YOU see fit.

UPPER/LOWER

Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You don't need to drink to go out and have a good time.

That said, don't become a shut in eating his chicken and brocolli all alone.

anonymous
    5'9 140 and you're afraid to meet a girl for a booze that may led to sexors?

wake up.

TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000) TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000) TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000) TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000) TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000) TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000) TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000) TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000) TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000) TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000) TheHolyCannoli is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Kahldris View Post
    You don't need to drink to go out and have a good time.
    Probably the most overrated advice given to college students on this forum.

Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by TheHolyCannoli View Post
    Probably the most overrated advice given to college students on this forum.
    How so?

Daniel2746 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Daniel2746 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Daniel2746 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Daniel2746 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Daniel2746 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Daniel2746 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Daniel2746 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Daniel2746 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Daniel2746 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Daniel2746 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Daniel2746 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Dude, your body will get you laid quicker than alcohol will.

If a girl has a choice between a fat guy with a beer or a ripped guy with water, who do you think she'll go for?

I never drink when I go out. I am always the designated driver. The ladies are more interested in playing with your guns then what drink you have in your hand. If it were me, don't cheat yourself and all that hardwork you do in the gym. Alcohol is a drug and shouldn't be abused. Plus beinG sober means you can remember your night and not butt **** the next day with a hangover.

Originally Posted by Kahldris View Post
    How so?

Because it's a cliche` response that essentially fails to address the issues that arise when you're suppressing your desire to drink while in an environment that does nothing to support your own will power. If you legitimately don't feel like drinking when you go out, then that advice works perfectly fine. But obviously the OP is feeling deprived because he wants to drink, and likely DOES have a better time when he goes out and drinks.

This is taking it to the extreme to illustrate my point, but it's like telling an addict that they don't need their drug to get through the day. If only it were that easy lol

I'm not an alcoholic, and never was, but with my group of friends and the type of parties I enjoyed going to, it was almost impossible to REALLY have a good time without drinking. It seems the OP is in a similar situation.

Just my opinion.

Because it's a cliche` response that essentially fails to address the issues that arise when you're suppressing your desire to drink while in an environment that does nothing to support your own will power. If you legitimately don't feel like drinking when you go out, then that advice works perfectly fine. But obviously the OP is feeling deprived because he wants to drink, and likely DOES have a better time when he goes out and drinks.

This is taking it to the extreme to illustrate my point, but it's like telling an addict that they don't need their drug to get through the day. If only it were that easy lol

I'm not an alcoholic, and never was, but with my group of friends and the type of parties I enjoyed going to, it was almost impossible to REALLY have a good time without drinking. It seems the OP is in a similar situation.

Just my opinion.
    Eh I guess it really depends on the situation and the people involved, but recently Ive been going out sober and having almost more than fun not drinking.... Nice not having a massive hangover the next day too.. But thats because once I start drinking I can't stop.... But alas that is a story for another time...

Z Gatrel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Z Gatrel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Z Gatrel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Z Gatrel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Z Gatrel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Z Gatrel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Z Gatrel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Z Gatrel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Z Gatrel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Z Gatrel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Z Gatrel will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Just my opinion.
    Im in college and I refuse drinks. Nobody looks at me weird cause im usually the biggest guy in the club. It has yet to impede me having fun in college, in fact if anything I love going out even more.

Want to drink? Fine. Want to be envied? Dont drink.

Btw theres this word called moderation that just might apply to this thread... lol.

adelgad562 is on a distinguished road. (+10) adelgad562 is on a distinguished road. (+10) adelgad562 is on a distinguished road. (+10) adelgad562 is on a distinguished road. (+10) adelgad562 is on a distinguished road. (+10) adelgad562 is on a distinguished road. (+10) adelgad562 is on a distinguished road. (+10) adelgad562 is on a distinguished road. (+10) adelgad562 is on a distinguished road. (+10) adelgad562 is on a distinguished road. (+10) adelgad562 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    take control of the situation, tell her that you would rather have her come over and "watch a movie"... ;}
    Born, Raised and Will Be Buried in the L.B.C.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is law of Equivalent Exchange.
    -Alphonse Elric

***Likes his wife's bush but makes her shave it before delivery crew***

★Reaching For The Stars★ tominho7's Avatar
    tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000) tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000) tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000) tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000) tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000) tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000) tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000) tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000) tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000) tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000) tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000)
    If sticking to your diet is making you feel like you are missing out in life then maybe you should be less strict.

But with that said your decision about drinking should be based solely on how you feel . If you have no desire to drink but do so because others around you are doing it, or even in the reverse situation, then you have a weak sense of reality. Do whatever you want to do, not what you think others want you to do.

It your life, don't live it for others
    Squatted Everyday For 100 Days In A Row

Thread for proof: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172233523

Daniel2746 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Daniel2746 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Daniel2746 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Daniel2746 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Daniel2746 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Daniel2746 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Daniel2746 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Daniel2746 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Daniel2746 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Daniel2746 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Daniel2746 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by Z Gatrel View Post
    Btw theres this word called moderation that just might apply to this thread... lol.
    Too true

Originally Posted by Z Gatrel View Post
    Im in college and I refuse drinks. Nobody looks at me weird cause im usually the biggest guy in the club. It has yet to impede me having fun in college, in fact if anything I love going out even more.

Want to drink? Fine. Want to be envied? Dont drink.

And a thought process like this is probably the reason I'm not the biggest guy in the club and you are LOL But eh, whatever

But yes, moderation is key even if you do decide to drink. I'm in no way endorsing binge drinking multiple nights a week, or ever for that matter.

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    At your age you got T on your side, it ain't going to really matter if you can handle it moderation. In college I was around 195 sub 10% BF drinking 40s almost daily. But, here is a good read for you.
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/tru...nd-muscle.html
    2 time survivor of The Great Misc Outages of 2022

Survivor of PHP/API Outage of Feb 2023

Striation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you have more notice just work the drinks into your calories for the day. If you do not have notice, eat less the next day to even it out....
    Add me on instagram @davidgzz1981

will2808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) will2808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Drink dude! And take theHolyCannoli's advice, stick to vodka( if you can, avoid the cheap stuff, grey goose gets me drunk quicker than cheap stuff and i honestly dont get the hangovers as bad, plus i dont need as much than with the cheap stuff so it doesnt work out too much more expenny, also if its more expensive you'll savor it/wont pound it so hard) with diet lemonade, and have a bit of fun! All in moderation though, true story here, we always used to go to the beach after a big night out for chilling and skinny dipping, at least once a week we would see our first team captain come running past in full jogging gear, keep in mind that he's been on the piss with us as well! I do not advise that though, i just thought it amusing.

Get up in the morning, half pint water with half pint of fresh orange juice and a quarter teaspoon of salt! Larvely, get on the cardio and sweat it out.

shooter1101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shooter1101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shooter1101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shooter1101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shooter1101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shooter1101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shooter1101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shooter1101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shooter1101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shooter1101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shooter1101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you want to drink, then drink. If you don't want to drink then don't. Who says you can't meet up with said girl, and not have a drink, or order something and drink half of it.

Thinking you have to drink to impress the people around you makes me think you have some appearance issues. Hopefully you will learn, like I did, that is doesn't really matter what the fuk the average person thinks about you. Just do you

tatherton23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tatherton23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tatherton23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tatherton23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tatherton23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tatherton23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tatherton23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    First of all, think about that statement for a minute...that is basically the equivalent of being on a bulk and just saving up your calories all day so you can drink instead.
    Except not at all because alcohol is empty calories that wouldn't contribute well to muscle building on a bulk. It'd just be a way to try to compensate for those empty calories.

I'll probably take it a little more easy for the next month or two then I can slim down for the summer starting in March or April. If I drink 2 or 3 nights a week, it's not a huge deal and if I do drink 3 nights, 2 of them are very very light. Last night for instance I ended up having only one and a half light beers. Not that huge a deal. And ya when I do aim to get drunk, diet coke with rum is my go-to drink.

Thanks everyone for your advice!

mahousesn will become famous soon enough. (+50) mahousesn will become famous soon enough. (+50) mahousesn will become famous soon enough. (+50) mahousesn will become famous soon enough. (+50) mahousesn will become famous soon enough. (+50) mahousesn will become famous soon enough. (+50) mahousesn will become famous soon enough. (+50) mahousesn will become famous soon enough. (+50) mahousesn will become famous soon enough. (+50) mahousesn will become famous soon enough. (+50) mahousesn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You could reasonably fit some alcohol into your macros. it is pretty much the fourth macro. Just turned 21 this week - Hell would freeze over before I swore off drinking and the social situations that come with it in college because of lifting. Just remember moderation and common sense.
    420/285/535