Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    blablablah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) blablablah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) blablablah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) blablablah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) blablablah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) blablablah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) blablablah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) blablablah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) blablablah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) blablablah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) blablablah has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by PlasticJanus View Post
    I already dealt with this objection. You can get absolute metaphysical truths by corresponding propositions to facts about our metaphysical framework in the same way that you can get typical truths by corresponding propositions to typical facts. No source of ultimate truth required.
    ok then, how would you determine the validity of human reason?

blablablah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) blablablah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) blablablah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) blablablah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) blablablah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) blablablah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) blablablah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) blablablah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) blablablah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) blablablah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) blablablah has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by magog704 View Post
    that's right. what you're describing is platonism. it's kind of archaic in the world of philosophy.

so there is no Truth, capital T.

"there are no facts, only interpretations" -Nietzsche
    well, according to that logic, what you wrote is untrue, so dont be upset if i ignore what you just said.

PlasticJanus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PlasticJanus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PlasticJanus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PlasticJanus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PlasticJanus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PlasticJanus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PlasticJanus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PlasticJanus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PlasticJanus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PlasticJanus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PlasticJanus is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by blablablah View Post
    I also already addressed this. Human reasoning is not an argument. It doesn't make sense to ask whether or not it is valid.

magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    well, according to that logic, what you wrote is untrue, so dont be upset if i ignore what you just said.
    i would never be upset that you take issue with the last 150 years of western philosophical inquiry. that's your prerogative.

people say way dumber shiit than you, like the earth is 5000 years old. if i took issue with every ignorant thing i heard i wouldnt make it through the day.

lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000)
    We can show that it works!

Our reasoning is valid because it is an evolutionary adaptation which served us extremely well which has demonstrated its usefulness and reliability time after time after time. If our reasoning were deleterious we wouldve been weeded out of existence. It's that simple.

Furthermore you are asking a loaded question by having us justify human reasoning without using human reasoning. For an explanation to be reasonable, it must necessarily be constructed in accordance to rationality!

Its like asking "why is the law legal?" You're using tautologies
    Nov 04-fatass @40%bf

Jan 06- buff(apparently) @ ermm i dunno, still have a gut though,

long term goal= jacked @ 7% bf, get the damn abs to show themselves

I also already addressed this. Human reasoning is not an argument. It doesn't make sense to ask whether or not it is valid.
    of course it does. your very act of arguing with me presupposes this concept. whether it is valid or not is of utmost importance. if it is valid, it produces correct reasoning. if it doesnt it, produce incorrect reasoning. how do you determine whether human reasoning is valid or not?

i would never be upset that you take issue with the last 150 years of western philosophical inquiry. that's your prerogative.

people say way dumber shiit than you, like the earth is 5000 years old. if i took issue with every ignorant thing i heard i wouldnt make it through the day.
    youre being a clever silly here. why denounce to concept of truth, then expect me to take what you say as being true. doesnt make sense to me.

magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    youre being a clever silly here. why denounce to concept of truth, then expect me to take what you say as being true. doesnt make sense to me.
    i denounce the concept of Truth, not the concept of truth.

help yourself to some cotdayum aristotle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristot..._of_universals

Originally Posted by lucious View Post
    We can show that it works!

Our reasoning is valid because it is an evolutionary adaptation which served us extremely well which has demonstrated its usefulness and reliability time after time after time. If our reasoning were deleterious we wouldve been weeded out of existence. It's that simple.

Furthermore you are asking a loaded question by having us justify human reasoning without using human reasoning. For an explanation to be reasonable, it must necessarily be constructed in accordance to rationality!

Its like asking "why is the law legal?" You're using tautologies
    again, this is circular reasoning. human reason is valid because we determined it is, using human reason. its called a fallacious argument.

i asked you to justify human reason because you cant. its a concept you can only take on faith. what it was meant to do was illustrate your reliance on unprovable metaphysical constructs.

PlasticJanus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PlasticJanus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PlasticJanus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PlasticJanus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PlasticJanus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PlasticJanus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PlasticJanus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PlasticJanus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PlasticJanus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PlasticJanus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PlasticJanus is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    of course it does. your very act of arguing with me presupposes this concept. whether it is valid or not is of utmost importance. if it is valid, it produces correct reasoning. if it doesnt it, produce incorrect reasoning. how do you determine whether human reasoning is valid or not?
    You're confusing validity for reliability. Arguments have validity; methods have reliability. Human reasoning is a method, not an argument.

Furthermore, whether or not human reasoning is reliable is irrelevant here, because the truth of a proposition is, as you yourself have conceded, entirely external to human reasoning. The reliability of human reasoning becomes a factor only when we try to reason using the absolute truths that correspondence gets us, and this happens after your worries about an ultimate source of truth have been debunked.

i denounce the concept of Truth, not the concept of truth.

help yourself to some cotdayum aristotle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristot..._of_universals
    so when i am talking to you does the concept of Truth apply to you or not?

so when i am talking to you does the concept of Truth apply to you or not?
    there is no universal Truth. we can talk about things that are "true" based on justification.

i have this problem all the time. if You haven't picked up a book by a postmodernist, then we literally can't have this conversation, because we don't even compatible lexicons.

You're confusing validity for reliability. Arguments have validity; methods have reliability. Human reasoning is a method, not an argument.

Furthermore, whether or not human reasoning is reliable is irrelevant here, because the truth of a proposition is, as you yourself have conceded, entirely external to human reasoning. The reliability of human reasoning becomes a factor only when we try to reason using the absolute truths that correspondence gets us, and this happens after your worries about an ultimate source of truth have been debunked.
    could you give me an example of an absolute truth derived from correspondence?

there is no universal Truth. we can talk about things that are "true" based on justification.

i have this problem all the time. if You haven't picked up a book by a postmodernist, then we literally can't have this conversation, because we don't even compatible lexicons.
    that seems reasonable to me

jayohthatman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jayohthatman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jayohthatman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jayohthatman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jayohthatman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jayohthatman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jayohthatman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jayohthatman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jayohthatman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jayohthatman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jayohthatman is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Ive heard this argument before OP. Basically, it means that the only reason to trust our reasoning is it came from the divine, otherwise theres no reason to think we know anything at all since we're just advanced apes basically.

Bottom line is this, there is no empirical reason to believe in god, such that if the idea was never suggested to you its highly unlikely you would grow to believe it on your own or even consider it. anythings possible though
    Mods Deleted crews Crew
    Dont know what to do about it Crew
    Tempted to put them back Crew
    Too afraid of consequences Crew
    My crews were the only thing that gave me identity in life Crew
    Dont even have that now Crew
    Called suicide hotline and they tried to talk me into it Crew
    Misogynist Crew
    leaves groceries and starves for a week if theres no male cashiers crew
    Hopeless/pathetic Crew
    Ruined life Crew
    Just want my crews back Crew

reps on sight- shamilcub

g0time is a jewel in the rough. (+500) g0time is a jewel in the rough. (+500) g0time is a jewel in the rough. (+500) g0time is a jewel in the rough. (+500) g0time is a jewel in the rough. (+500) g0time is a jewel in the rough. (+500) g0time is a jewel in the rough. (+500) g0time is a jewel in the rough. (+500) g0time is a jewel in the rough. (+500) g0time is a jewel in the rough. (+500) g0time is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    OP,, negs on RC for stupid thread

and re negs on RC for making a thread w no avi (auto neg)

srs and srs
    I miss my ex
    I miss cocaine
    I miss funerals

I do not miss meals

Originally Posted by jayohthatman View Post
    Ive heard this argument before OP. Basically, it means that the only reason to trust our reasoning is it came from the divine, otherwise theres no reason to think we know anything at all since we're just advanced apes basically.

Bottom line is this, there is no empirical reason to believe in god, such that if the idea was never suggested to you its highly unlikely you would grow to believe it on your own or even consider it. anythings possible though
    empiricism does not interest me

empiricism does not interest me
    me either.

“I do not believe in God and I am not an atheist.”

could you give me an example of an absolute truth derived from correspondence?
    I could, but let's not kid ourselves by pretending it would advance the argument. It doesn't matter which truth I suggest, you will simply raise one of two objections: either that it is not absolute because my knowledge of it is subjective or that I can't reason that it's absolute because I've yet to establish the reliability of human reason.

Neither of those two objections changes the fact that, as per correspondence, truths can exist in the absence of an ultimate source of truth.

lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jayohthatman View Post

Yeah its a last ditch attempt to try and squeeze God in somewhere. Given a fair argument, its hard to win, so lets remove a pair of goalposts.

Its essentially a repackaging of Platingas argument against naturalism which falls into PRATT(previously refuted a thousand times)
    Nov 04-fatass @40%bf

Jan 06- buff(apparently) @ ermm i dunno, still have a gut though,

long term goal= jacked @ 7% bf, get the damn abs to show themselves

I could, but let's not kid ourselves by pretending it would advance the argument. It doesn't matter which truth I suggest, you will simply raise one of two objections: either that it is not absolute because my knowledge of it is subjective or that I can't reason that it's absolute because I've yet to establish the reliability of human reason.

Neither of those two objections changes the fact that, as per correspondence, truths can exist in the absence of an ultimate source of truth.
    false and false.

i dont know if we will either benefit from continuing this argument, although if you wish to continue, i will tomorrow

dyldo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dyldo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dyldo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dyldo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dyldo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dyldo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dyldo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dyldo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dyldo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dyldo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dyldo has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Tldr
    on the road to 210lbs

false and false.

i dont know if we will either benefit from continuing this argument, although if you wish to continue, i will tomorrow
    I don't know what you're referencing when you say "false and false." Because I essentially made two claims: that I could suggest an absolute truth according to correspondence and that the two aforementioned objections do not change that. Both claims are true.

Grug is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Grug is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Grug is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Grug is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Grug is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Grug is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Grug is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Grug is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Grug is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Grug is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Grug is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    And not a single reply to my post on the impact of subjectivity was posted that day...

OfficerRodFarva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OfficerRodFarva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OfficerRodFarva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OfficerRodFarva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OfficerRodFarva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OfficerRodFarva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OfficerRodFarva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OfficerRodFarva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OfficerRodFarva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OfficerRodFarva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OfficerRodFarva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

SQTFTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SQTFTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SQTFTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SQTFTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SQTFTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SQTFTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SQTFTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SQTFTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SQTFTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SQTFTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SQTFTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    gtfo OP. not reading tht ****.

Registered User TheBarbellTolls's Avatar
    TheBarbellTolls will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheBarbellTolls will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheBarbellTolls will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheBarbellTolls will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheBarbellTolls will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheBarbellTolls will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheBarbellTolls will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheBarbellTolls will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheBarbellTolls will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheBarbellTolls will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheBarbellTolls will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    did **** just get real?

On the path of increase. stimjunkie's Avatar
    stimjunkie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stimjunkie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stimjunkie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stimjunkie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stimjunkie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stimjunkie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stimjunkie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stimjunkie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stimjunkie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stimjunkie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stimjunkie is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    OP I don't think you comprehend that your arguments/questions have been answered by many posters in this thread.
    You are continuing to talk in circles forcing other people to repeat what they have said to you on the first page...
    I think you should re-read the whole thread, take a step back and analyze deeply what other people have posted.

samw93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) samw93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) samw93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) samw93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) samw93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) samw93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) samw93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) samw93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) samw93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) samw93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) samw93 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    believe if you wish but it has no reason to be in everyday life, as not everyone agrees and it is personal opinion. why feel the need to prove your existence?