ashleyxlaine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Having a cold and weight gain?

HI Everyone,

I have had a bad bug for a few days now; sniffling, dizziness, stuffy nose etc. I have been continuing to work out (which will be part of my second question) and eating my regular maintainance diet and I have gained nearly 5 pounds in three days!! My face and eyes are puffy and I can FEEL that 5 pounds... so sluggish and heavy feeling you know?!! I have being taking motrin and some cough/cold medication. So my question is: does being sick, combined with taking those types of drugs, cause serious water retention? Can one really gain 5 pounds of just water weight from being sick?!! It seems absurd and I can't help but feel I am doing something wrong; I have never seen such a huge jump in weight and I am feeling so discouraged.

Also, how should I be changing my work out schedule when I am sick? (I rarely ever get sick so I am a little lost haha) Should I not be exercising at all for the next couple of days? Is light weight training and cardio ok for say an hourish?

Thanks so much!

gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Welcome to my wolrd! I was sick all last month and my weight spiked like that and now I'm finally feeling better and it's finally coming down. Happens to me all the time, but it always bothers me.
    Team Cookies Give You Superpowers

Current Journal: Adventure Time with Turkey
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170094463&p=1489770341#post1489770341

My Super Awesome SNS log- Lori Battles the Holiday Pudge (Finished):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140145363&page=2

"She's not overtraining- she just trains stupid" -Kimm4

Damn, it's good to be me! thepowerwithin's Avatar
    thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Listen to your body. If you feel like total crap, then rest, and you don't need to spreading whatever it is you have.

Don't be discouraged, you're 5'5" and 110 lbs.

ashleyxlaine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the support. I just can't stand feeling this sick, and on top of that looking like a bag of garbage and seeing a 5 pound weight gain; and then not being able to exercise with the idea that I'm not doing enough since I gained 5 pounds... That horrible psychological cycle you know?

Damn, it's good to be me! thepowerwithin's Avatar
    thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ashleyxlaine View Post
    Thanks for the support. I just can't stand feeling this sick, and on top of that looking like a bag of garbage and seeing a 5 pound weight gain; and then not being able to exercise with the idea that I'm not doing enough since I gained 5 pounds... That horrible psychological cycle you know?
    I can't think of one person that enjoys being sick, so you're not alone.

The 5 lbs aren't real, so stop stressing and being dramatic. In the whole scheme of things, it's a few days or a week. No major regression can occur in that time.

Get better and get back to it!

Kelvandros is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kelvandros is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kelvandros is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kelvandros is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kelvandros is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kelvandros is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kelvandros is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kelvandros is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kelvandros is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kelvandros is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kelvandros is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Gaining weight when you get sick is completely normal.

Unless you workout at home, I'd cool it for a few days. Nobody is going to want to use any of the equipment behind you with you spreading your germs around. Get better, then come back and hit some new PRs from the rest week.
    I Rep Highland Games Competitors

IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000) IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000) IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000) IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000) IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000) IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000) IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000) IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000) IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000) IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000) IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000)
    does being sick, combined with taking those types of drugs, cause serious water retention?
    Yep.

Can one really gain 5 pounds of just water weight from being sick?!!
    I do it every month even without being sick.

Also, how should I be changing my work out schedule when I am sick? (I rarely ever get sick so I am a little lost haha) Should I not be exercising at all for the next couple of days? Is light weight training and cardio ok for say an hourish?
    It is very personal. When I don't feel well I'll still exercise the same way as usually.
    But if I'm so sick I cannot get out of the bad and have to take medication, I'll stay in bed. Possible health complications if I don't rest when having a cold are way more serious then gaining weight. I will get better and I'll take care of that. But later.
    Little girls cry... Big girls say "F@ck!".

Lunu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Lunu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Lunu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Lunu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Lunu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Lunu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Lunu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Lunu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Lunu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Lunu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Lunu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have endometriosis and was feeling terrible for a few days last month. I forced myself to train half heartedly until I weighed myself and I was up ELEVEN pounds from 2 days before. I was insanely bloated lol and decided to rest for a couple of days (and ate the same as usual). 3 days later, feeling better, back in the gym and I'd lost all 11 pounds. I didn't even realise such extreme water weight was possible but I guess so.

If you've still got the added pounds when you're feeling better then worry about it then. I'm guessing you're just stressing over nothing!

wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It's probably 5lbs of mucus I wouldn't worry Everyone looks and feels like sh** when they're sick. It's TOTALLY normal. Enjoy the feeling that you're giving yourself some rest so when you're better and ONLY when you're better, you can go back and kick some ass having had a good few days off.

Jiingles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks a bunch everyone for talking about this topic. I have a virus atm and I have regained all I lost (72kg was 69.5kg). I was thinking what am I doing wrong didn't change diet but workout has stopped, which shouldn't be enough to increase 2.5kg in 4days. I have been mortified about gaining this back. The virus, also, is a silent type e.g no nose running, no cough, no real flu symptoms but wow! lethargic as. Its Day 4, so far, and cant do anything with out heart rate going through the roof and muscles are fatigued big time. I thought I had adrenal fatigue because on the weekend I went overboard, a little, on my workout and thought Id given my adrenals a run for their money but now after reading this a virus seems logical. I hope the 2.5kg goes away after the virus decides to give up. Thanks again for the info.

LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Jiingles View Post
    didn't change diet but workout has stopped, which shouldn't be enough to increase 2.5kg in 4days.
    No, it wouldn't be enough to increase that much. You probably are carrying mostly some extra water weight. However, take a look at this:

Sedentary: 1,733 calories per day
    Light Exercise: 1,986 calories per day
    Moderate Exercise: 2,239 calories per day
    (From TDEECalculator.net)

That's my estimated maintenance calories if I don't work out at all, if I work out a bit, or if a workout a fair amount. The different between not working out, and working out a couple times a week is 200 cals a day, or 1400 cals a week. If I was eating at maintenance for light exercise, and stopped the exercise I'd be in a caloric surplus. If my activity level was higher, it'd be 500 cals a day, or 3500 a week. Which is approximately a lb.

While this wouldn't cause you to gain 2.5kg in four days, it could cause you to gain some weight over time. You shouldn't diet while fighting a virus or infection, but if you have to drop your workouts (which is fine, you should listen to your body, sometimes it just needs rest), calculate your maintenance for the change in activity, and adjust accordingly.
    PRs: 95lbs/126lbs/212lbs
    Next Goals: 100lbs/150lbs/215lbs

emmabliss1978 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Unhappy Thank you!!!

4 lbs in one week from common cold + ovulating I think. No matter how clear I am on the science, and I am, it is such a bummer!