Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BKMom View Post
    Yes - my son is 14. He's about 5'11 and weighs 167lbs - wears a size 13 shoe...a pretty good sized kid. Since this is a gift and it's something the whole family can use, I don't really care about budget - but at the same time I do want to be smart about the purchase. Space isn't too much of concern either. We have a pretty big house with extra rooms. Eventually, we want to add another building on our property to be our "body shop" to house all of our workout equipment/gear, but that's probablly 6 months to a year away at this point.

I'm in Central Mississippi. I've looked on craigslist and I have found a few things but at this point just haven't decided what would be the best option.

I just want him to have the equipment to better himself and be able to do it safely even when no one is home.

Also, I want to say that I appreciate all the responses and you guys being so patient with me. (Since I still have a lot to learn about all of this).
    My personal opinion is that if you are willing to buy new, you could do a lot worse than to consider the Body Solid (brand) power rack and Flat Incline bench. I think the model numbers are GPR378 and GFI21. If you call Matt at Fitness Factory, he can do better than their listed price on their website.

You might still be best served to pick up a used 300 lb set on Craigslist. THe bar that comes with a set is always cheap junk, and your son will almost assuredly outgrow it within 6 months at the rate he is growing. When the time comes that his squat/deadlift approach 300 lbs, you might take a look at the CAP OB-86B. It is a lot of bar for the money. I own one, and can wholeheartedly vouch for it.

If you do buy a power rack to become the centerpiece of your new gym, you should also buy a couple of horse stall mats (3/4 inch thick) at Tractor Supply Company. THey typically have these at the best price of the year on Black Friday, so now is a good time to look at them. You can get away with 2 to go under the power rack. I personally have 2 under the rack and 2 in front of the rack to protect my concrete floor when I do deadlifts.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Since this is a gift and it's something the whole family can use, I don't really care about budget - but at the same time I do want to be smart about the purchase.
    If you give us an idea of how much you want to spend, it will be easier to make recommendations. You can spend anywhere from $500 to $5000 on the suggested equipment. Is your other workout equipment/gear consumer grade or commercial grade?

The only Power Rack I'm seeing in Mississippi is one down in Gulfport. It actually has a Monolift in it.

http://gulfport.craigslist.org/spo/4145779595.html
    Last edited by dumb.bell; 11-06-2013 at 04:09 PM.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #39 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #2 ▪█─────█▪

▪[[[[────]]]]▪ York Barbell Club #93 (DD) ▪[[[[────]]]]▪

▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #10 ▪[M]====[6]▪

186lbs in Avatar

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by dumb.bell View Post
    If you give us an idea of how much you want to spend, it will be easier to make recommendations. You can spend anywhere from $500 to $5000 on the suggested equipment. Is your other workout equipment/gear consumer grade or commercial grade?

The only Power Rack I'm seeing in Mississippi is one down in Gulfport. It actually has a Monolift in it.

http://gulfport.craigslist.org/spo/4145779595.html
    Dumb.bell, can you explain what a monolift is/does? I'm embarrassed to admit that I am clueless about them, even though I did see GarageIron's thread about one a few months back....

hyperfuel9x has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hyperfuel9x has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hyperfuel9x has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hyperfuel9x has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hyperfuel9x has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hyperfuel9x has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I like this worthy stuff.

BKMom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BKMom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BKMom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BKMom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BKMom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BKMom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BKMom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BKMom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BKMom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BKMom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BKMom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well, yesterday I was thinking I would spend up to $2,500. But after researching and talking to you guys as well as talking to my husband, I think we might be getting over our heads a little bit - with the size of equipment and all the different kinds...it can be real confusing.

But I'd still be willing to spend around $1,000.00.

I showed my husband the Powertec and he likes it, but doesn't really like the price. I found something similar made by Marcy that is more "home gym" or consumer based versus the Powertec looks more commercial. Our other equipment is more consumer based. We have an elliptical, rower, dumb bells, etc.

I like the power rack but I have to admit that I am a little nervous about it. I know it has the bar that stops the weight, should you drop it, but I guess the momma in me worries that he will try to do too much or not maintain proper form and end up hurting himself.... But it will be an ongoing work in progress to make sure that he is lifting correctly.

He is young but I think he has the right level of motivation at this point so that if he has good equipment it will keep him into weightlifting and he will just enjoy it more and more as he gets older and grows - which will only help him in his sports.

Well, yesterday I was thinking I would spend up to $2,500. But after researching and talking to you guys as well as talking to my husband, I think we might be getting over our heads a little bit - with the size of equipment and all the different kinds...it can be real confusing.

But I'd still be willing to spend around $1,000.00.

I showed my husband the Powertec and he likes it, but doesn't really like the price. I found something similar made by Marcy that is more "home gym" or consumer based versus the Powertec looks more commercial. Our other equipment is more consumer based. We have an elliptical, rower, dumb bells, etc.

I like the power rack but I have to admit that I am a little nervous about it. I know it has the bar that stops the weight, should you drop it, but I guess the momma in me worries that he will try to do too much or not maintain proper form and end up hurting himself.... But it will be an ongoing work in progress to make sure that he is lifting correctly.

He is young but I think he has the right level of motivation at this point so that if he has good equipment it will keep him into weightlifting and he will just enjoy it more and more as he gets older and grows - which will only help him in his sports.
    Be aware that Marcy and Weider are crap. Those brands are not well-made, have lousy range of motion, and benches typically can only handle 300 lbs (user and weights combined).

He may well try to bite off more than he can chew at some point, I personally think that is part of the learning curve. You could suggest that he check out a few YouTube videos of movements that he is thinking of incorporating into his routine, and it would definitely be a good idea to pick up a copy of the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe. He can also post "form check" videos in the exercise forum on this website to make sure that he is using proper form.

BKMom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BKMom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BKMom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BKMom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BKMom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BKMom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BKMom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BKMom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BKMom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BKMom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BKMom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes - we saw the horse stall mats over the weekend and I knew they would be perfect. I think we will probably end up with the Power Rack. I'll make sure to keep all the info you have given me so we can move up as he grows and gets bigger.

I'm so excited to see what he does with the equipment. He's got a great foundation...broad shoulders and big legs (I think from playing catcher all the time). If he gets excited about lifting and sticks with it, he'll be ripped up in no time. When he was younger, he was always the smallest and fastest on the team. Around 9 years old, he started to thicken up. Two years ago, he had a little belly and some chest fat but with the football workouts, that has almost completely gone away. He's actually walking around without a shirt....something he wouldn't have done 2 years ago. And he's beginning to regain some of the speed he used to have.

Again, thanks so much for helping me!

Originally Posted by rlundregan View Post
    Be aware that Marcy and Weider are crap. Those brands are not well-made, have lousy range of motion, and benches typically can only handle 300 lbs (user and weights combined).

He may well try to bite off more than he can chew at some point, I personally think that is part of the learning curve. You could suggest that he check out a few YouTube videos of movements that he is thinking of incorporating into his routine, and it would definitely be a good idea to pick up a copy of the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe. He can also post "form check" videos in the exercise forum on this website to make sure that he is using proper form.
    I didn't know about the form check videos...that will be a great tool for him! After talking to everyone, I think the Power rack is the way to go...

I didn't know about the form check videos...that will be a great tool for him! After talking to everyone, I think the Power rack is the way to go...
    The overwhelming consensus around the forum here is that a power rack is really the way to go. Good choice! Let us know if you have additional questions. Be sure to read the sticky that I linked above, it really explains a lot.

Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Make sure you don't get caught up in the concept that new is better. A decent/good power rack will last forever. For the most part weight is weight. A decent bar is nice and so is a solid bench. That's a good start. Like stated above, the Starting Strength book and DVD is great. The DVD shows proper form and technique and sometimes it's nice to see it in motion. Good luck.
    ▪██─────██▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #3 ▪██─────██▪

○---○ [[[[-----]]]] York Barbell Crew #52 [[[[-----]]]] ○---○
    ( DD Crew, Globes, Kg's, + )

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #45 ▪█─────█▪

~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Dumb.bell, can you explain what a monolift is/does? I'm embarrassed to admit that I am clueless about them, even though I did see GarageIron's thread about one a few months back....
    It basically allows a person to squat without having to back away from the uprights. Its really designed for an advanced lifter pushing near their limits. You basically get under the bar and stand up with the weight. The hooks holding the bar will swing out of the way and you can squat straight down and then back up without walking the weight back. You either need a spotter to swing the hooks back in or you step forward and rack the weight at the point where the hooks have swung.

186lbs in Avatar

It basically allows a person to squat without having to back away from the uprights. Its really designed for an advanced lifter pushing near their limits. You basically get under the bar and stand up with the weight. The hooks holding the bar will swing out of the way and you can squat straight down and then back up without walking the weight back. You either need a spotter to swing the hooks back in or you step forward and rack the weight at the point where the hooks have swung.
    THanks! I'll have to rep you when I get off spread!

@BKMom

If going new, and you do decide to spend between $1200 and $2000 take a look at Rogue and Sorinex. I'm sure others will chime in with other options. Also, as you narrow down your choice, let us know what you are looking at and we can point out the pros and cons.
    Last edited by dumb.bell; 11-07-2013 at 09:55 AM.

186lbs in Avatar

morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You could get the Body Solid gpr378 rack for $400 shipped, the Body Solid sfid325 bench for $300 shipped, and a 300 lb olympic set for $200 or less locally. That's $100 less than your budget. The details on how to get those prices can be found by searching the forum. With the left over cash, you could buy a CAP OB-86b for $125-40 if you can put up $25-40 more. You could save more and potentially get better equipment if you know what you are doing but you would need to spend time reading and researching and hours searching Craigslist, auction sites, etc. I'm not sure why so few people actually read the "READ THIS FIRST" post that is "stickied" at the top of the forum but most of the basic information about equipment is in that post and the rack post that's also stickied at the top of the forum.

I highly recommend hiring a personal trainer if you and your family don't have experience lifting. You need to learn good form. At the very least hire the trainer for a couple sessions once in a while so that he/she can check on your form. Reading Starting Strength would be good too (in addition to a personal trainer). A gym membership can also be a good thing for a novice since you'll be around others that are lifting. Of course, you can pick up bad habits as well as good habits by learning that way (and you'll see lots of bad habits in a public gym).
    Last edited by morebarbell; 11-07-2013 at 10:08 AM.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉

THanks! I'll have to rep you when I get off spread!
    The new rack Monolift attachments are also great for benching. They allow you to lift slightly and go straight into the lift, no need to lift off the hooks from above or behind your head. This is the main reason I am interested in the Rogue attachment. I really don't like taking more than 350lbs off of the J-hooks without a spotter. Although I haven't used one for benching, I'm assuming it will take a lot of stress off of my shoulders from the initial liftoff.

Just yesterday, on my last set I was attempting to do reps with 315lbs. I should have been able to get 5 reps if not 6 (6 was the goal). I positioned myself as bar back as I could, planning on just clearing the J-hooks. On the third rep I hit the J-hooks on the way up throwing the bar forward. I was able to get it back under control, but only got half way back up on the next rep. Using a monolift attachment, I would have gotten 5, maybe 6 reps.

This is why I am a fan of purchasing either a Rogue Rack, or a Rogue clone. Several people are already making these attachments for these racks, and Rogue will eventually release theirs.
    Last edited by dumb.bell; 11-07-2013 at 10:01 AM.

186lbs in Avatar

The new rack Monolift attachments are also great for benching. They allow you to lift slightly and go straight into the lift, no need to lift off the hooks from above or behind your head. This is the main reason I am interested in the Rogue attachment. I really don't like taking more than 350lbs off of the J-hooks without a spotter. Although I haven't used one for benching, I'm assuming it will take a lot of stress off of my shoulders from the initial liftoff.

Just yesterday, on my last set I was attempting to do reps with 315lbs. I should have been able to get 5 reps if not 6 (6 was the goal). I positioned myself as bar back as I could, planning on just clearing the J-hooks. On the third rep I hit the J-hooks on the way up throwing the bar forward. I was able to get it back under control, but only got half way back up on the next rep. Using a monolift attachment, I would have gotten 5, maybe 6 reps.

This is why I am a fan of purchasing either a Rogue Rack, or a Rogue clone. Several people are already making these attachments for these racks, and Rogue will eventually release theirs.
    Well, I WAS pretty proud of myself for being able to deadlift 300 lbs.....thanks for shooting that all to hell!

j/k

I don't see myself needing a monolift anytime soon, but it does look like it would take some stress off the shoulders in that initial liftoff.

Well, I WAS pretty proud of myself for being able to deadlift 300 lbs.....thanks for shooting that all to hell!

j/k
    LOL. I almost choked on my glass of milk laughing.

186lbs in Avatar

I don't see myself needing a monolift anytime soon, but it does look like it would take some stress off the shoulders in that initial liftoff.
    The only real injury I've ever had was my left shoulder doing a lift off for incline presses. This was years ago on one of those sporting goods store flat/incline olympic benches. The uprights were too far back and as my press numbers moved up it got harder and harder to lift off. One day, shortly after the lift off, my left arm just quit working and the weight came straight down. Luckily the bench had the short little spotter arms and I was able to land the bar on them. My next purchase was a POWER RACK!

186lbs in Avatar

I'm going to jump in and agree with everyone else on the CAP OB86. I don't think you can find a better bar for the money. In fact, I think you have to spend almost twice as much.

186lbs in Avatar

I'm going to jump in and agree with everyone else on the CAP OB86. I don't think you can find a better bar for the money. In fact, I think you have to spend almost twice as much.
    Yeah, from an economic standpoint I think you almost have to buy a Texas Power Bar to really upgrade (I'm not real familiar with what Rogue has to offer).

Yeah, from an economic standpoint I think you almost have to buy a Texas Power Bar to really upgrade (I'm not real familiar with what Rogue has to offer).
    I think the Texas Power Bar is the next step up.

186lbs in Avatar

donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000)
    Donforeman....I have a question for you...let me first say that I, nor anyone in my family is a body builder (but we do lift weights at the gym - just not super serious about it). I want to purchase a Home Gym - mainly for my 14 year old son. He plays football, basketball & baseball - with baseball being his preferred sport. He really enjoys lifting weights with football but got discouraged because he couldn't lift during the season - he said he felt weak. (I understand why). So we thought we would get him a home gym to help him work out some. But I didn't want to do free weights and a bar and everything because we can't always be there to spot him. So, naturally, the leverage system looks great to me.... Would a leverage system help him build or maintain strength in between his free weight workouts with football? Or is there something else that would be just as good and maybe not as expensive? The two main things that appeal to me with the Powertec system is 1) He wouldn't need a spotter 2) It looks like the equipment would last a lifetime. I appreciate any feedback you could give me. I apologize if I've posted this question in the wrong place.

BKMom
    I have a new job that keeps me busy, so I am glad others have chimed in. I had a lot of the same concerns as your post and have tried a lot of equipment courtesy of Craigslist. One part that hasn't been sold is my Gpr378 rack and while its not the nicest equipment, its very safe and doesn't wobble. The 399 price shipped to my door was reasonable too. There are plenty of reviews here telling people how to get the Cheaper price from Matt @ the Fitness Factory.