Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by JennLifts View Post
    I don't mean to criticize at all! I was SO worried I wasn't doing it right at first. Like ...carb loading wondering if I was fully depleted. But I had some people there helping me to had done it to keep me sane haha. You're doing great for your first round :-)
    Haha that's exactly how I felt. While on one hand the amount I get to eat on carb-up is great, but on the other there's not much peace of mind in eating so much. And during the low-carb phase, I worry about everything I eat having some unlisted carbs or something, lol.
    However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results - Dr. John Berardi

D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    After some more thinking, I'm gonna reset and get on the 7 day cycle. I just do not like the way I feel eating so uninhibited for two days. Part of the reason I want such a regimented diet is to eliminate the catharsis of eating that I've worked hard to move away from. I also kind of screwed the pooch on the carb load with too much fat. To get the schedule correct, I will be doing low-cal and low-carb tomorrow along with depletion workout.

Monday-Wednesday: Low-carb, low-cal w/ two days of depletion workout (Days 1-2, rest/cardio on Day 3)
    Thursday: low-carb, low-cal in AM -- carb-load begins following PM high-intensity workout
    Friday: Finish carb-load, no workout
    Saturday: Power workout, IIFYM style diet w/ high carbs, low fat
    Sunday: no workout, IIFYM style diet w/ carbs tapering down throughout day

I think this will be better. I'm gonna load up on some good carb-load friendly foods as well to keep fat down during my next carb-load.
    However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results - Dr. John Berardi

Morning Weigh-In: 187 lbs
    34 inch at navel

So basically back to starting numbers. I blame this on a very sloppy and prolonged carb-up and, as mentioned, I'm resetting and going to the ordinary 7 day cycle. I'll be doing depletion workout and low-carb, low-cal today through Thursday AM. Will update about workout, diet later!

I think the best way to evaluate this will be to see if my low weight gets lower this week along with the high number next Monday morning being lower. Measurements, hopefully, will corroborate the weight numbers. If the weight doesn't change but the measures go down, I'm cool with that.

Mayahi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mayahi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mayahi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mayahi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mayahi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mayahi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mayahi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mayahi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mayahi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mayahi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mayahi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    in! interested to see. good luck!

Good keto day.

Diet

Morning
    Quest bar

Lunch
    Salad: spinach, chicken breast pieces, shredded cheddar

Dinner
    Salad: spinach, chicken breast pieces, shredded cheddar

Post-Dinner
    reduced fat colby jack cheese

Evening Snack
    cashews
    flatout wrap
    chicken breast fillet

Macros: 1501 cals, 70g fat, 172g protein, 56g total carbs, 29g fiber

Depletion Workout - Legs, Back, and Bis
    Leg Press - 5 sets of 15
    Bent-over Rows - 5 sets of 15
    Standing barbell curls - 5 sets of 15
    Leg extensions - 5 sets of 15
    Seated cable row - 5 sets of 15
    Seated preacher curl - 5 sets of 15
    Leg curls - 5 sets of 15
    Back lever extensions - 5 sets of 15

Due to a really crowded gym, I just stuck to certain body parts and didn't do any supersetting/cycling.

Overall Thoughts
    Very good day! Did a lot of good homework type of activity, no cognitive issues thus far w/ low carb. EC is a helluva drug

JennLifts is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JennLifts is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JennLifts is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JennLifts is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JennLifts is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JennLifts is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JennLifts is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JennLifts is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JennLifts is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JennLifts is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JennLifts is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Are you in school...?
    Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139497073

Are you in school...?
    Yes ma'am. I'm going to a small liberal arts college.

JennLifts is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JennLifts is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JennLifts is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JennLifts is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JennLifts is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JennLifts is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JennLifts is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JennLifts is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JennLifts is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JennLifts is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JennLifts is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    And thus far the keto hasn't effected studies? I switched to mass when school started for that reason. Worried I would be wiped. I saw you said you were doing HW and were ok, but not quite the same hehe

And thus far the keto hasn't effected studies? I switched to mass when school started for that reason. Worried I would be wiped. I saw you said you were doing HW and were ok, but not quite the same hehe
    I've actually had some very productive study sessions while on these keto days. I mentioned this earlier, but it could be that I'm experiencing the significant cognitive effects from Ephedrine/Caffeine and this is masking potential low-carb issues. The brain is so complicated that it is often difficult to explain why people respond very differently to the same thing. Lyle McDonald points out on his website that some people perform better physically and/or mentally when going keto while it seems more common for people to not feel good - however, there is often an acclimation period of a 2-3 cycles after which many people claim to feel better.

When I first lost a good deal of weight, I realized later that I was probably unintentionally keto for long-ish stretches of time. I used to eat such a large volume of chicken breast vs. any other food that my body has probably had the chance to acclimate to keto in the past before I started tracking calories and macros.

When it comes down to it, you'll just have to see your individual response - but you may not be damned. Stimulant nootropics like caffeine/ephedrine may also mask potential side effects. I know more than your average BB'er about nootropics if you're interested in that type of thing...just be advised that reactions are always mixed between "I feel nothing" and "this is the best thing I've tried." There is a guy subbed to this thread that is a veritable guru as well.

Originally Posted by D3Baseball View Post
    I've actually had some very productive study sessions while on these keto days. I mentioned this earlier, but it could be that I'm experiencing the significant cognitive effects from Ephedrine/Caffeine and this is masking potential low-carb issues. The brain is so complicated that it is often difficult to explain why people respond very differently to the same thing. Lyle McDonald points out on his website that some people perform better physically and/or mentally when going keto while it seems more common for people to not feel good - however, there is often an acclimation period of a 2-3 cycles after which many people claim to feel better.

When I first lost a good deal of weight, I realized later that I was probably unintentionally keto for long-ish stretches of time. I used to eat such a large volume of chicken breast vs. any other food that my body has probably had the chance to acclimate to keto in the past before I started tracking calories and macros.

When it comes down to it, you'll just have to see your individual response - but you may not be damned. Stimulant nootropics like caffeine/ephedrine may also mask potential side effects. I know more than your average BB'er about nootropics if you're interested in that type of thing...just be advised that reactions are always mixed between "I feel nothing" and "this is the best thing I've tried." There is a guy subbed to this thread that is a veritable guru as well.
    I was always too scared to endeavor into EC, did do green tea supps. Keto didn't make me a bitch, or really any different. I generally felt the same actually. But I've seen it have quite different effects on people. Hey you should log the lifts for Power WO. That's the most fun one to keep track of :-)

I was always too scared to endeavor into EC, did do green tea supps. Keto didn't make me a bitch, or really any different. I generally felt the same actually. But I've seen it have quite different effects on people. Hey you should log the lifts for Power WO. That's the most fun one to keep track of :-)
    I'm definitely going to start doing that - I actually skipped it for my first cycle because I wanted to reset to the 7 day. I'm probably going to be embarrassed at strength loss

As far as EC, it is very much legit and very much safe (unless you do it wrong). If you want to learn more about it, there's a great article about it in the link below. Just happens to be written by a woman at a women's fitness site as well

http://www.hotnfit.com/ecstack.htm

Also,

Day 2, Cycle 2 Weigh-in
    Weight: 184.5
    Navel: 33 and 3/4 inch

I've only been posting the navel measurement because it's the only one that has been changing very frequently - it's also one of greater interest to me.

Another good keto day.

Diet

Breakfast
    scrambled eggs
    bacon

Lunchtime
    Quest bars

Dinner
    Chicken breast fillets
    Flatout wraps

Evening Snack

Macros: 1627 cals, 87.5g fat, 162g protein, 65g total carbs, 35g fiber

Depletion Workout - Chest, Tris, and (not really) Shoulders
    The setup would be for shoulders but I'm leaving that to my rehab for these depletion days.

Incline Bench
    Tricep Extensions
    Bench Press
    Tricep Pulldowns
    5 sets of 15, each

Might not seem like much, but this was unbelievably difficult. I've learned that it is typical to struggle much more with upper body lifts in this kind of deficit vs lower body. Legs are just conditioned to operating in all kinds of circumstances whereas the upper body lacks the muscle mass and conditioning to do as well in such a caloric/carb deficit.

Overall Thoughts
    Might have been a little more irritable today, but could have been coincidence. As well as I've been functioning during the day, I think I've been hitting a lull in energy at nighttime as I get further from my last dose of EC.

Tomorrow is another keto day, no weight training. I will probably do some low-intensity cardio.

Another good keto day.

Diet

Breakfast
    scrambled eggs
    bacon

Lunchtime
    Quest bars

Dinner
    Chicken breast fillets
    Flatout wraps

Evening Snack

Macros: 1627 cals, 87.5g fat, 162g protein, 65g total carbs, 35g fiber

Depletion Workout - Chest, Tris, and (not really) Shoulders
    The setup would be for shoulders but I'm leaving that to my rehab for these depletion days.

Incline Bench
    Tricep Extensions
    Bench Press
    Tricep Pulldowns
    5 sets of 15, each

Might not seem like much, but this was unbelievably difficult. I've learned that it is typical to struggle much more with upper body lifts in this kind of deficit vs lower body. Legs are just conditioned to operating in all kinds of circumstances whereas the upper body lacks the muscle mass and conditioning to do as well in such a caloric/carb deficit.

Overall Thoughts
    Might have been a little more irritable today, but could have been coincidence. As well as I've been functioning during the day, I think I've been hitting a lull in energy at nighttime as I get further from my last dose of EC.

Tomorrow is another keto day, no weight training. I will probably do some low-intensity cardio.
    as in post fiber subtraction?

as in post fiber subtraction?
    Nope, the opposite. Pre fiber subtraction. So my net carbs were about 30 grams.

Day 3, Cycle 2
    Morning Weigh-in
    183.5 lbs
    33 and 1/2 inches at navel

Seems like roughly the pace of last time, but I'm roughly a day ahead as far as weight/size drop.

Day 3, Cycle 2
    Morning Weigh-in
    183.5 lbs
    33 and 1/2 inches at navel

Seems like roughly the pace of last time, but I'm roughly a day ahead as far as weight/size drop.
    The more cycles you do, the faster you become depleted.

The more cycles you do, the faster you become depleted.
    Great, another thing to make me unsure whether or not I'm burning fat. Depletion can only mean more fat burning, though.

Great, another thing to make me unsure whether or not I'm burning fat. Depletion can only mean more fat burning, though.
    Oh no it's a good thing haha. The whole goal is to be as depleted as you can I feel, so to be able to hop back in quickly is beneficial!

Getting near carb-up!

Diet

Morning
    Quest bar

Lunch
    Salad: spinach, chicken breast, shredded cheddar

Mid-Afternoon Snack
    Gaspari MyoFusion Probiotic Chocolate (in water)

Dinner
    Atlantic Salmon w/ lemon pepper seasoning

Snack 1
    colby jack reduced fat cheese

Snack 2
    Quest bar

Macros: 1528 calories, 72g fat, 172g protein, 56g total carbs, 39g fiber

FWIW, I'm not one that thinks you need to 13241235 meals per day for teh gainz. It just so happens that it works best for me this way. Appetite suppression makes my cravings less and more quickly satiated, but I like having food to look forward to frequently. I actually fasted for about 5 hours today with no problems - I just eat when I have time and in a way in which helps me hit my macros.

No weights/cardio

Oh no it's a good thing haha. The whole goal is to be as depleted as you can I feel, so to be able to hop back in quickly is beneficial!
    Somebody got mod repped!

Somebody got mod repped!
    How can you tell..???

How can you tell..???
    Your rep points jumped by about 1000....

Your rep points jumped by about 1000....
    Oh lol. Well yea, I did ;-)

Oh lol. Well yea, I did ;-)
    Romancing mods is the key to earning respect on this board :P

I once wooed sweet pogue into mod reps

feltgoodman.jpg

Romancing mods is the key to earning respect on this board :P

I once wooed sweet pogue into mod reps

feltgoodman.jpg
    Romancing. Pfft. It was completely voluntary. I had no idea they were a mod and had never seen them before haha.

Morning weigh-in:
    182 pounds
    forgot to measure :/

Carb-Up Day!

I'm just gonna summarize diet due to the fact that I ended up eating lots of things and I'm a bit cramped for time right now.

Pre-Workout Diet

About 900 cals, lots of protein, about 40g fat

Workout

I felt really good on this today. Didn't take as long of rests as the book prescribes because I was feeling so good.

Chest Press
    Dips
    Seated Row
    Bent-over Row
    Leg Press
    Leg Curl

2-3 sets of 6-10 reps each.

Post-Workout Carb-Up

Started w/cereal and fruit juice, then IHOP, then to Little Caesar's, then began the boring starchy part of the carb load.

So far: ~500g carbs, ~60g fat. Got a little more fat than I planned, but not too bad. I went shopping for low fat, high carb food options. Tomorrow's menu will include whole wheat spaghetti, a loaf of ciabatta, and frosted mini-wheats. Will probably supplement a lot of protein to save myself cash.

Day 6 Weigh-In, etc
    185 lbs
    33 and 5/8 inches at navel

Didn't gain back all the weight, and definitely didn't gain back all the size. Hopefully this can keep up through the end of the day.

Been nibbling on Frosted Mini-Wheats this morning - I plan on going as near to fat free as possible today. I will say that it is freaking difficult to find foods that are truly fat free, always a gram here or there. But that's okay.

Post Carb-Up

Weigh-in:
    188 lbs
    34 inches at navel

Over the carb-up (Thursday PM through yesterday) I had about 1300g carbs, and about 90g fat. I could stand to further lower the fat and if it seems that I'm still not getting great results then that'll be my first adjustment. I think I've found enough carb-up friendly foods that I like that I don't need to worry about getting IHOP or breadsticks from Little Caesar's, etc.

Favorite carb-up menu: Frosted Mini-Wheats Chocolate Mini Bites (16g fat per box), Ciabatta Loaf (I get a take n bake loaf, so delicious and 0 fat with ~200g carbs), and I can make a ton of whole wheat spaghetti for about 3 or 4 bucks between spaghetti ($1 per box, 11g fat per box, 280g carbs per box), ragu (not a significant source of anything because I don't use much, one 24 oz jar will last me 6 or 7 boxes of spaghetti), and reduced fat parmesan cheese (negligible effect on macros again)

About to go do my power workout - will update afterwards