Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I am a MASS MACHINE! skiplacour's Avatar
    skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Read my personal story "I Kept This A Secret From You My Entire Natural Bodybuilding Career" ===> www.skiplacour.com/is-this-all-there-is

Visit Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition store on Bodybuilding.com - Supreme. Clean. Mass Machine Nutrition. ===> www.SLtips.com/3

CyberSteak will become famous soon enough. (+50) CyberSteak will become famous soon enough. (+50) CyberSteak will become famous soon enough. (+50) CyberSteak will become famous soon enough. (+50) CyberSteak will become famous soon enough. (+50) CyberSteak will become famous soon enough. (+50) CyberSteak will become famous soon enough. (+50) CyberSteak will become famous soon enough. (+50) CyberSteak will become famous soon enough. (+50) CyberSteak will become famous soon enough. (+50) CyberSteak will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by johnplante2 View Post
    welcome Steve, Congrats on Juggernaut Challenge!
    Thanks for the welcome and congrats, very much appreciated.
    Juggernaut Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137100863

Juggernaut Log Index: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137100863&p=791269203&viewfull=1#post791269203

2011 "I Am Juggernaut" Grand Prize Qualifier (Arnold Classic Round)

tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I am flexible when it comes to my eats. During my last solid meal i sit down and use dailyburn and figure out what I have left to eat on the day. When I get into the cut part I will try to stick to the same foods most days of the week and not need to ocd over things.

My cardios been 0 as i work through a nagging issue in ankle.

Originally Posted by CyberSteak View Post
    Phil, thanks for dropping in. I just posted what the "battle plan" is for now regarding macros. I'll go with it until I gauge people's opinion (hopefully Skip's). Eating's great, until it feels like it's becoming a chore. Being a "typical ectomorph", more often then not, it's a chore.

I'm actually no where near Buffalo. Ontario's a huge province. Closest US city to me would be International Falls in Minnesota.

Macro targets just posted TJ. We'll see how I do at those numbers this time around without my girl...Cardio. Going to have to have a sit down with fitday and workout some menus to keep things on task.

Thanks for the comment. I can eat, that's not a problem. Been as high as 199.4lbs within this past year. But I have to make sure it's the good weight. That's where it all gets tricky. Thanks for stopping by!
    Used to be fat, now just fat with a lot of muscle.

come check out my latest log: Layne Nortons Carbon line http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169447773

CyberSteak will become famous soon enough. (+50) CyberSteak will become famous soon enough. (+50) CyberSteak will become famous soon enough. (+50) CyberSteak will become famous soon enough. (+50) CyberSteak will become famous soon enough. (+50) CyberSteak will become famous soon enough. (+50) CyberSteak will become famous soon enough. (+50) CyberSteak will become famous soon enough. (+50) CyberSteak will become famous soon enough. (+50) CyberSteak will become famous soon enough. (+50) CyberSteak will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Day 3 of the Mass Machine Challenge

The "Yawwwwn" Log

Hmmm. Don't know what's up but I've been fighting some major fatigue lately. There's been no major change in diet or activity. Starting to wonder if it's a mental issue (no...I'm not crazy). Might be having flashbacks of being up until 3 in the morning logging in a journal. My body may just be shutting down earlier in protest. Who knows. It is a reasonable theory and a legitimate problem as I'm not getting stuff done I'm expecting to. Either way, gotta push through. Maybe when I get the diet sorted it'll have the extra energy to get things done at the end of the night.

Agenda For Today

- Workout (legs)

- finish my paragraph for week 1 assignment

- finish taking measurements

- post some progress pics in my log (From March until now)

- workout a meal plan

Click here to order
    Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition
    right here on Bodybuilding.com today

Juggernaut Log Index: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137100863&p=791269203&viewfull=1#post791269203

JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Day 2 of the Mass Machine Challenge

The "Macros? We Talkin' 'Bout Macros?" Log

I once seen this interview with a pro bodybuilder (can't remember who it was) where he flat out said, 'Unless you know what you're doing in the kitchen, don't even bother stepping foot in a gym'. Paraphrased of course but that was the meat of the message. So as I prepare for what will hopefully be a very successful bulk, I'm trying to get all my macros lined up.

Open Invitation For Discussion

Obviously everyone is going to have their opinion on this. I like to take what everyone says and come up with a battle plan from there. But so far, here's what I have....

In an article in t-nation.com their "Get Big" diet ( http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...r_bodybuilders ) suggests that maintenance calories be calculated by current weight X 16

They then suggest taking your maintenance calories and multiplying it by 1.2 to come up with your bulking calories.

Now to break down your macro ratios. They have weight X 0.8 to calculate your protein requirements (subtract that from your total calories). 25% of your total calories are to be good fats (subtract that from the total calories also). With fats and proteins subtracted from your total calories, what remains is your carbs.

Now...applying that to me.

Sitting at about 175lbs. I'm going to round it up to 180.

180lbs x 16 = 2280 Maintenance Calories

2280 x 1.2 = 3456 Bulking Calories

Rounding that up to an even 3500 calories

Protein Needs

180lbs x .80 = 144g x 4 = 576 calories

3500 - 576 = 2924 calories left over for fats and carbs

Fat Needs

3500 x .25 = 875 calories (97g)

3500 – 576 (p) = 2924 – 875 (f) = 2049 (c)

Carb Needs

2049 calories (512g)

----------------------------

P=16.5% (144g)

F=25% (97g)

C=59% (512g)

Now the numbers for Fats and Carbs seem ok. But that number for Protein seems incredibly low. In my last challenge I was eating up near 300g of protein but admittedly my carbs weren't up that high. I've ate at that calorie target before during my last bulk also but failed to "put on weight". I use quotations because it was hard to determine if any weight was put on. I became obsessed with improving my cardio that it, without question, impeded any noticeable change in weight. I likely put on mass, but was burning fat in the process. That being said. I'm going to load a bit of extra protein on just to be on the safe side until Skip or his captains instruct me otherwise. I'll do 1g or protein for every pound of body weight (180g x 4 = 720 – 576 = 144 extra calories). A pound a week is good weight. If I don't hit that target, or blow over it, I'll make adjustments.

Again...this is totally up for discussion. I'm interested to see what anyone else input would be on this.

Click here to order

Looks like a well laid out plan Steve! I am always interested in macro percentages. I have been eating more maintenance/slight deficit for a while now with the percentages close to 50% fats, 30% protein & 20% carbs.
    Workout Log:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=179207031

jmorg714 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmorg714 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmorg714 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmorg714 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmorg714 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmorg714 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmorg714 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmorg714 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmorg714 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmorg714 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmorg714 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey fellow MASS MACHINE!

Here's a friendly reminder from your Coach, Skip La Cour, about the value of keeping your journal current.

I'm one of the Captains so if there's anything I can do to help you, feel free to ask.

Click here to order
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. " - Rocky Balboa 2007

http://www.muscleworx.com

tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Holy carbs! at 300-400g my gym sessions are off the hook. 400g is extreme for me but so so yummy.

come check out my latest log: Layne Nortons Carbon line http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169447773

Originally Posted by tjwoody View Post
    I am flexible when it comes to my eats. During my last solid meal i sit down and use dailyburn and figure out what I have left to eat on the day. When I get into the cut part I will try to stick to the same foods most days of the week and not need to ocd over things.

My cardios been 0 as i work through a nagging issue in ankle.
    I think I have to build a solid menu first and then do like what I did with my cut TJ, changing things up a little each day. If I leave things too open I know I'm going to blow it.

Originally Posted by JohnButz View Post
    Looks like a well laid out plan Steve! I am always interested in macro percentages. I have been eating more maintenance/slight deficit for a while now with the percentages close to 50% fats, 30% protein & 20% carbs.
    50% fats? Wow that ratio really sticks out. I'm not sure if I've seen anyone's macro ratios break down that way. Clearly it's working for you though John which is awesome. Kind of shows there's more then one way to skin a cat. I'd be interested to see how your meals play out for the day.

Holy carbs! at 300-400g my gym sessions are off the hook. 400g is extreme for me but so so yummy.
    Well if I blow up an extra 5 pounds in the first week, I'll know to cut back.

The "A Little About Me" Post

So my name is Steven and I'm from Canada. I'm a 39 year old father of 4 children. Happily married to a wonderfully supportive wife. Leading up to my 39th birthday (last March) I decided it was time to make a change in my physical appearance and health. I'm the typical ectomorph. Spent most of my adult life underweight. Sure I thought I "ate" enough but the meals were never consistent enough to break out of my skinny mold. So I decided to dedicate the time and effort it would take to make the changes I wanted. I set a goal for myself, to have a "sports model" body by my 40th birthday. A started working out and getting big. Went from 160lbs - 199.4lbs in about 6 months time. Then I caught onto my first challenge here on bb.com. With the help of a lot of great friends I met through that competition, I busted my @ss and worked hard enough to qualify for the grand prize. Not even 1 month removed from that challenge, and I find myself in this one here. My goal of that sports model body will have to hold off a few months now. Learning how to probably bulk and cut has taken priority. I work out from home in my fairly well equipped gym. Being a father of 4 children, time is a premium and when I have so many other responsibilities, working out from home is the only way to do it.

So um...yeah...That's ^ Me!

Click here to order

Last edited by CyberSteak; 01-18-2012 at 01:45 PM.

10 Months In Pictures

(and a little bit of text!)

March of 2011 (rough idea)

I never took an official before pic back in March. I just wanted to leave that image of myself buried in the past. This is a close as I have to it. The pic is about 7 years old. Add about 10 pounds of fat on that skinny frame and that's pretty much what I looked like at 160lbs.

July 31st 2011

Sitting at 199.4lbs. So desperately wanted to crack that 200lb mark but never made it. Maybe someday.

August 25th 2011

Start of my first challenge on bb.com. I was about 196lbs here and had started implementing our elliptical a little more regularly in my workouts.

October 12th 2011

Halfway through the challenge and the start of my first EVER diet. I was sitting at about 194lbs in this pic.

November 21st 2011

At the end of my last challenge. Huge thanks to IFBB Pro, Joe Palumbo who guided me through a crazy four weeks that involved an insane amount of cardio and my first ever carb deplete/reload.

Looking forward to seeing how the 6 months play out.

Click here to order

Last edited by CyberSteak; 01-18-2012 at 10:16 PM.

ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hey team ! ! Here’s your second assignment ! !

Assignment #2 - Mass Machine Bulking and Cutting Program Challenge - Video #9

Click here to order
    Member of the Global Bodybuilding Organization

2015/2016 National Qualifier Mens Physique
    Contest Prep Coach -- Dr. J. Parker Posing Coach -- Jen Cook, NPC Judge/IFBB Pro
    Training Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155564773

Real science > Bro science

JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnButz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

50% fats? Wow that ratio really sticks out. I'm not sure if I've seen anyone's macro ratios break down that way. Clearly it's working for you though John which is awesome. Kind of shows there's more then one way to skin a cat. I'd be interested to see how your meals play out for the day.

It's a little unconventional Steve, but I usually do the 50% fats, 30% protein & 20% carbs, spread out over 4-5 meals and calories work out to be around 2000-2400 depending on the activities (sprints etc.) It is kind of a continuous cut and slight deficit.
    Workout Log:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=179207031

kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kconnell is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hey Steve,

good luck on your next challenge! I hope your family backs you again. Train hard and stay safe.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Available as a rep

jayflex6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jayflex6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Dude! Awesome journal! I love the enthusiasm and energy in here! I'm definitively subscribing and looking forward to following you in your journey. I am also a captain for the challenge so if there's anything I can do to help or you have any questions, feel free! good luck bro.

Click here to order
    A Captain for "Results University." Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Bulking and Cutting Challenge

bodygroup: http://groups.bodybuilding.com/mm_bulking_and_cutting_challenge
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141324201

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion....Impossible is nothing." - Muhammad Ali

wborden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey how's the challenge going for you?

jmorg714 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmorg714 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmorg714 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmorg714 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmorg714 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmorg714 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmorg714 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmorg714 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmorg714 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmorg714 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmorg714 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey Mass Machines!

Here's an Excel spreadsheet I put together to help you with this weeks assignment. Just enter in the basic info and it will do your daily macros, calorie, and percentage totals. Hope this helps you all...

Download here: http://www.muscleworx.com/MMNJournal.xlsx

Jason

Click here to order
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. " - Rocky Balboa 2007

ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Contest Prep Coach -- Dr. J. Parker Posing Coach -- Jen Cook, NPC Judge/IFBB Pro

MrSimpson will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrSimpson will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrSimpson will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrSimpson will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrSimpson will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrSimpson will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrSimpson will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrSimpson will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrSimpson will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrSimpson will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrSimpson will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Steve!!! Wanted to poke my head in and say good luck on your new challenge, haven't been on in a little bit.

Hope everythings going good with you brother and keep working hard!!

Karone Simpson certfied personal trainer
    On a mission

I am Juggernaut Blog http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136524801

Where you at, Steve?

Hey Mass Machines!

Steve (gymrat) asked me to add daily macro-nutrient percentages to the spread sheet I did last week. Ask and ye shall receive!

If you get a "read only" file message, simply rename the file and save it to your computer.

Here's the link to download: http://www.muscleworx.com/newMMNspread.xlsx

Jason

Click here to order

Steve had to use the restroom and I havent seen him since!

Originally Posted by MrSimpson View Post
    Steve!!! Wanted to poke my head in and say good luck on your new challenge, haven't been on in a little bit.

Hope everythings going good with you brother and keep working hard!!

Karone Simpson certfied personal trainer
    Hey Karone! Hope things are going really good with you. Certified Personal Trainer? Nice bud. Well deserved for sure.

Steve had to use the restroom and I havent seen him since!
    LMAO...too funny TJ.

Ok so it's been a long time since I last posted. Life's just been far too busy to take part in another challenge. So I think it's best if I graciously bow out of this one and let the focus go to those who are actively participating. Good luck to all of you both in this contest, and all future endeavors.

Skip,

A special thank-you to you for all the work and thought that you have put into this contest. Wish it would have arrived six months earlier then it did so that I could have truly given this all my efforts. Maybe in the future, when things aren't so busy for me, I'll have a chance to give this another try. Best of luck to you, your contest, and your company.

Good luck Stevie!