iHustle24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

8 month dirty bulk from 160 to 200 lbs, clean bulk or cut?

In the past 8 months I have dirty bulked from 160 lbs at ~10% bf to 200 lbs at ~20% bf (not entirely sure on this stat, I believe I'm carrying a lot of water and caliper measuring has been very difficult on the triceps and quads due to skin tightness). Originally I planned on bulking until around now to begin a cut for summer but now I'm not so sure what to do. I believe I have put on an okay amount of muscle and would really like to continue getting bigger and stronger, however, I can't stand the thought of getting any fatter than I've already become. What is the play here guys? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking that I've probably become far to fat to successfully start clean bulking at my current build. Right now I'm thinking of doing an IF cut til I hit about 10% bf again and then definitely slow bulking right from then on. Any thoughts or suggestions on this would be great.

Also, could somebody please embed these. I couldn't due to low post count.

Thanks
    Attached Images
    Last edited by iHustle24; 01-12-2012 at 06:24 PM.

Registered User casticonstantinescu's Avatar
    casticonstantinescu is on a distinguished road. (+10) casticonstantinescu is on a distinguished road. (+10) casticonstantinescu is on a distinguished road. (+10) casticonstantinescu is on a distinguished road. (+10) casticonstantinescu is on a distinguished road. (+10) casticonstantinescu is on a distinguished road. (+10) casticonstantinescu is on a distinguished road. (+10) casticonstantinescu is on a distinguished road. (+10) casticonstantinescu is on a distinguished road. (+10) casticonstantinescu is on a distinguished road. (+10) casticonstantinescu is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    That's not 20%. It's leaner, can still see muscle seperation along the midsection. 16-17%. Good job.

6'4" 220 mostly legs Malnourishment's Avatar
    Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ~18-20% sounds right to me, but you look good. What are your lifts/measurements/height/weight (hate when people don't fill their BodySpace... /tangent).

comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Fat= acquired.
    IMO clean bulk for another 4 months.

Thanks for the responses. Still trying to get my profile in order but current weight is about 199 lbs @ 5'11''. Arms are a bit over 16'' cold flexed, chest is 42.5'' (expanded), neck is 16.5'', quads are 23 7/8'', calves are 14 3/4'' (no calves at all), waist is ~38 3/4'' around navel (this is holding a full breath in my stomach, making it as large as possible). I always found it tough to get accurate measurements around the navel since I breathe through my stomach, doing it with a full breath seems most consistent and reliable. I also have measurements from the before photos if anyone wants.

Lift History. The first photos are after a second round of p90x (took some time off between rounds). If you count those (which you probably can't b/c of the complete lack of compounds) I have been lifting for almost a year and a half. I started the bulk on a p90x/gym hybrid plan, I have only been doing squats and deads for around 6 months and majority of this was unfortunately on a smith machine (I know, it's all they had at my ****ty gym). For two months in the middle I worked out at a friends house who had a bench so we could do free bench and deads but still had to smith squats. Two weeks ago I had finally had it and got a membership to a real gym w/real weights and did real squats for the first time.

My lifts as of current:
    Bench 205 x 6 (still readjusting my form back from smith again)
    Dead 315 x 5 (found this relatively easy yesterday will go for 325 next time)
    Weighted chin BW+40 x 6
    ATG Squat 280 x 5 (I was using higher weight on the smith but I was pleased with this, movement feels 100x better and more natural, could go much deeper with ease) however, I will need some practice with these since foot spacing and balance have entered the game (****ing smith)
    I think I was holding the weight too high, probably could've done more reps but got the feeling I was going to fall forward

ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000)
    not much of a dirty bulk considering you only gained at about 1.25 lbs. per week. also, if u really think you went from 160 lbs. @ 10% to 200 lbs. @ 20%, you're kidding yourself. that would be 16 lbs. of muscle gained which is definitely not visible on your upper body at all... at best, your biceps look like they are a little bit bigger but for the most part it just looks like there is an extra layer of fat or two covering you now.

what does your training routine look like? i think you need to re-work that and step up your intensity in the gym. this is not good progress imo

Really? I know the pictures aren't the most flattering, I think they're actually a bit deceiving. My arms went from 14" to over 16", my neck went from 15" to 16.5", and my chest went from 38" to almost 43". I must've gained at least some upper body muscle. My waist ballooned up quite a lot while my other areas are larger but in proportion, is it possible that this ratio is causing some of the lean gains to be masked? As far as training, I've made consistent gains on compound lifts every 1-2 weeks, strength has increased a pretty decent amount since the beginning. If anyone would like to see a detailed training plan I will post one. Aside from all this, should I start a clean bulk right now or go on a cut first? Readers please feel free to comment.

Also, I've posted two additional photos for another view of things.
    Attached Images

Xes7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xes7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xes7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xes7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xes7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xes7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xes7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xes7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xes7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xes7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xes7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Nice progress brah, makes me look forward to my dirty bulk to 220lbs which I am starting next week, I'd say your BF is about 18%.

ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by iHustle24 View Post
    Really? I know the pictures aren't the most flattering, I think they're actually a bit deceiving. My arms went from 14" to over 16", my neck went from 15" to 16.5", and my chest went from 38" to almost 43". I must've gained at least some upper body muscle. My waist ballooned up quite a lot while my other areas are larger but in proportion, is it possible that this ratio is causing some of the lean gains to be masked? As far as training, I've made consistent gains on compound lifts every 1-2 weeks, strength has increased a pretty decent amount since the beginning. If anyone would like to see a detailed training plan I will post one. Aside from all this, should I start a clean bulk right now or go on a cut first? Readers please feel free to comment.

Also, I've posted two additional photos for another view of things.
    that comparison is a lot better. also, in ur first set of pics, the last comparison (where you're flexing ur bicep from the side) shows decent mass gain as well.

definitely not a 16 lb gain of muscle on your upper body though, how are the wheels looking? a back pic would help too.

how tall are you?

IVCHN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IVCHN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IVCHN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IVCHN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IVCHN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IVCHN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IVCHN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IVCHN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IVCHN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IVCHN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    good job

how much can you curl on dumbell and/or barbell?

Originally Posted by Xes7 View Post
    Nice progress brah, makes me look forward to my dirty bulk to 220lbs which I am starting next week, I'd say your BF is about 18%.
    Thanks Xes. Hope you make nice gains on your dirty, just remember to keep fat gains somewhat in check.

@ghattanj, first off I'm about 5'11". Upper legs are looking okay but need work, calves are pretty much a joke. I'm almost completely flat footed and with genetics I have almost no natural calve at all. Not sure I have a before pic showing upper legs but I can get a recent one, I can post a back comparison as well.

@IVCHN, I stopped doing curls over a month ago but I could curl 50# DBs and 100# preacher with good form for sets of 6-8 reps. Now I'm focusing more on weighted chins for biceps. I do preachers at the end of my current routine but with low weight (after Deads, Weighted chins, and Pendlay rows)

I'd like to hear some input on whether I should start a clean bulk now or cut to x% bf first.

Thanks guys

TR1PLE7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TR1PLE7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TR1PLE7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TR1PLE7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TR1PLE7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TR1PLE7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TR1PLE7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TR1PLE7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TR1PLE7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TR1PLE7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I see a pretty decent gain in your biceps and shoulders. Traps look thicker too. Chest didn't improve a whole lot but there is some progress. Good job for 8 months on a dirty bulk. Had it been healthy calories you may have seen better results. I'm sure you strength has went up a lot since you started though.

scjordan is a name known to all. (+5000) scjordan is a name known to all. (+5000) scjordan is a name known to all. (+5000) scjordan is a name known to all. (+5000) scjordan is a name known to all. (+5000) scjordan is a name known to all. (+5000) scjordan is a name known to all. (+5000) scjordan is a name known to all. (+5000) scjordan is a name known to all. (+5000) scjordan is a name known to all. (+5000) scjordan is a name known to all. (+5000)
    looking good keep up the hard work

Jack3dUpF250 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jack3dUpF250 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jack3dUpF250 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jack3dUpF250 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jack3dUpF250 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jack3dUpF250 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jack3dUpF250 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jack3dUpF250 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jack3dUpF250 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jack3dUpF250 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jack3dUpF250 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I honestly dont see much gains, the true test would be to cut back down to 10% .
    Then you will see where you stand compared to your origional 10% pics.
    Who Dat!?

Don't Tread On Me

Thanks TR1PLE and jordan. As for Jack3d, I think you're right about cutting back to 10%. I not only feel that it would more accurately show any gains that I made, but it would put me in a much better position to begin clean bulking from now on. I really hate the thought of having to waste time not increasing muscle and strength but I don't want to have to start a cut from much higher than 20% bf (assuming I'm close to that already), especially since I don't want to be this fat through the summer.

Thoughts/comments on this approach?

theriftable is not very helpful. (-500) theriftable is not very helpful. (-500) theriftable is not very helpful. (-500) theriftable is not very helpful. (-500) theriftable is not very helpful. (-500) theriftable is not very helpful. (-500) theriftable is not very helpful. (-500) theriftable is not very helpful. (-500) theriftable is not very helpful. (-500) theriftable is not very helpful. (-500) theriftable is not very helpful. (-500)
    gjdm, looking thick, tight, joocy, solid. (no homo)

im dirty bulking right now too looking to get get thick, tight, joocy, solid too.

dirty bulk or nothing m8, thats why they call it dirty, haters gonna hate brah

JLtheRavenous is not very well liked. (-100) JLtheRavenous is not very well liked. (-100) JLtheRavenous is not very well liked. (-100) JLtheRavenous is not very well liked. (-100) JLtheRavenous is not very well liked. (-100) JLtheRavenous is not very well liked. (-100) JLtheRavenous is not very well liked. (-100) JLtheRavenous is not very well liked. (-100) JLtheRavenous is not very well liked. (-100) JLtheRavenous is not very well liked. (-100) JLtheRavenous is not very well liked. (-100)
    Looks good bro... but. Why the **** would you upload this and not provide a back or legs shot. And your poses are all ****ed. Do them the same or don't do them at all. You did put on quite a bit of fat but it seems like you muscled up a bit too. Just please, SHOW THE LEGS AND BACK.

Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Cut the calories down a bit, but you can keep going - you have good momentum. Not bad.