dagrandmastah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Whey protein clumping in shakes?

Hey all, new to the forums. I've been going to the gym consistently for about a year. My main goals isn't really to bulk up but to tone up, get cut and just get in overall good shape. I usually go to the gym between 3-4 times a week and I typically get there around 6 AM so I'm dealing with morning workouts. Now with those introductions out of the way, let's get to my issue.

I usually make a protein shake when I get home. I used to use Syntha 6 protein but I read that whey protein is much better for an after workout shake so I purchased 1 pound of chococal Optimum Nutrition whey protein. I like the taste of the protein but I can't seem to prevent it from clumping in any shake I make. I use a blender. I never had this problem with Syntha 6 so I'm no sure if I should just go back to using that. I know Syntha 6 tends to be absorbed by the body at a slower pace so not sure if that works to my benefit being that I go to the gym earlier in the morning. I'd like to figure out what the issue is with the whey protein as I'm due to buy a new can of protein and have to figure out which one to get.

NickTurbine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NickTurbine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NickTurbine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NickTurbine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NickTurbine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NickTurbine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NickTurbine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NickTurbine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NickTurbine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NickTurbine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NickTurbine has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by dagrandmastah View Post
    I used to use Syntha 6 protein but I read that whey protein is much better for an after workout shake so I purchased 1 pound of chococal Optimum Nutrition whey protein.
    charcoal ON?
    must be a new flavor...

For the record, you are splitting hairs when deciding upon "which" or "what kind" of protein powder to use following training.
    It really doesn't matter, for where you are in your development.
    Stressing over this choice will likely be more negative than any amount of positve choosing the right food will give you to begin with.
    And FYI - real food would be better than any kind of powder you can buy anyway.

king8654 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king8654 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king8654 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king8654 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king8654 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king8654 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king8654 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king8654 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king8654 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king8654 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king8654 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hey all, new to the forums. I've been going to the gym consistently for about a year. My main goals isn't really to bulk up but to tone up, get cut and just get in overall good shape. I usually go to the gym between 3-4 times a week and I typically get there around 6 AM so I'm dealing with morning workouts. Now with those introductions out of the way, let's get to my issue.

I usually make a protein shake when I get home. I used to use Syntha 6 protein but I read that whey protein is much better for an after workout shake so I purchased 1 pound of chococal Optimum Nutrition whey protein. I like the taste of the protein but I can't seem to prevent it from clumping in any shake I make. I use a blender. I never had this problem with Syntha 6 so I'm no sure if I should just go back to using that. I know Syntha 6 tends to be absorbed by the body at a slower pace so not sure if that works to my benefit being that I go to the gym earlier in the morning. I'd like to figure out what the issue is with the whey protein as I'm due to buy a new can of protein and have to figure out which one to get.
    if your using water, could be the issue. with milk, add couple ice cubes in and should take care of it.
    Current Stack

Dymatize Cappuccino Rush
    AEN Presurge
    Bulk Mono
    CL Oximega Fish Oil
    CL Orange Triad + Greens Powder
    AEN Liv

NickTurbine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NickTurbine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NickTurbine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NickTurbine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NickTurbine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NickTurbine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NickTurbine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NickTurbine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NickTurbine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NickTurbine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NickTurbine has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by king8654 View Post
    if your using water, could be the issue. with milk, add couple ice cubes in and should take care of it.
    I use water in all of my shakes, and do not experience this at all.

It is not the form of liquid that is the problem.
    If anything, it would be the amount (rather: lack thereof) of whatever liquid is being used.
    Try more fluid.

king8654 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king8654 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king8654 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king8654 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king8654 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king8654 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king8654 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king8654 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king8654 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king8654 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) king8654 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by NickTurbine View Post
    I use water in all of my shakes, and do not experience this at all.

It is not the form of liquid that is the problem.
    If anything, it would be the amount (rather: lack thereof) of whatever liquid is being used.
    Try more fluid.
    "Could" be the issue is the key. when i use milk, it never clumps. when i use water, it clumps about 10% of the time, regardless of amount, since i measure it out. also, casein in water clumps alot more too. so if syntha has a high % of casein, maybe it is the issue.
    Current Stack

Dymatize Cappuccino Rush
    AEN Presurge
    Bulk Mono
    CL Oximega Fish Oil
    CL Orange Triad + Greens Powder
    AEN Liv

shoefanatic23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shoefanatic23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shoefanatic23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shoefanatic23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shoefanatic23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shoefanatic23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shoefanatic23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shoefanatic23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shoefanatic23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shoefanatic23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shoefanatic23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Try adding water to your blender bottle first and then add the protein.
    Workout Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167450201

-I need a new avi

Originally Posted by shoefanatic23 View Post
    Seriously? Now there is a certain "order" we should all follow when making a shake?
    Huh. Interesting, the things on this site.

Bottom line:
    There is no proper format or specific you have to follow to make "clumps" go away.
    Use enough liquid, and use enough force when shaking. Period.

Mikeikes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikeikes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikeikes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikeikes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikeikes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikeikes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikeikes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikeikes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikeikes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikeikes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikeikes will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I use a blender bottle, try that op!

xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have never had a clumping issue with Isoflex.
    Powder first or water first, mixes flawlessly
    Type 1 Diabetic - Since age 15
    Luke 1:37 "For NOTHING is impossible with God"

INSTAGRAM: StevenGFH Follow me!

*ALLMAX NUTRITION REP*

ALLMAX Nutrition, Inc.
    SCIENCE - INNOVATION - QUALITY - RESULTS
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/all/all.htm

Disclaimer: All forum or bulletin board posts are solely the opinion of myself and do not necessarily reflect the views of ALLMAX

unforgiven118 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) unforgiven118 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) unforgiven118 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) unforgiven118 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) unforgiven118 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) unforgiven118 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) unforgiven118 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) unforgiven118 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) unforgiven118 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) unforgiven118 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had to do the same thing with my blender bottle. If I put the power first, it would clump up and some would stick to the bottom. It's a lot less clumpy if you add the liquid first then the power.

shoefanatic23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shoefanatic23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shoefanatic23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shoefanatic23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shoefanatic23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shoefanatic23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shoefanatic23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shoefanatic23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shoefanatic23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shoefanatic23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shoefanatic23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Seriously? Now there is a certain "order" we should all follow when making a shake?

Bottom line:
    There is no proper format or specific you have to follow to make "clumps" go away.
    http://thedailycricket.com/2011/12/1...-to-serve-her/

No there isn't a certain order, I just noticed that I'd have clumps When I would add the protein first. Just letting op know worked for me to get rid of the clumps.

-I need a new avi

Bottom line:
    No there isn't a certain order, I just noticed that I'd have clumps When I would add the protein first. Just letting op know worked for me to get rid of the clumps.

-I need a new avi

slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slimwealthy1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    My main goals isn't really to bulk up but to tone up, get cut and just get in overall good shape.
    I love this statement

x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

you said:" I use a blender"
    add water( 8-`12 oz) and ice then 2 scoops, then blend on high for 2 min + = problem solved

It's like dejavu, all over again.

It's like dejavu, all ov -- err, wait.

All good man. I just get a mental picture of some guy tweaking out over his sink, wondering to himself "now which one comes next?" when he's trying to make a simple protein shake, and producing cortisol worrying about it.

Whatever you think works, by all means share.
    (just one time should suffice however.)

Originally Posted by slimwealthy1 View Post
    I love this statement
    Yes. Quite an oversight, in hindsight.
    All of this could have been avoided, if only we'd paid attention to OPs wanting to get "toned".

It's like dejavu, all over again.

It's like dejavu, all ov -- err, wait.

All good man. I just get a mental picture of some guy tweaking out over his sink, wondering to himself "now which one comes next?" when he's trying to make a simple protein shake, and producing cortisol worrying about it.

Whatever you think works, by all means share.
    Haha Darn iPhone... Thing was tripping out. Haha i know what you mean with things becoming over simplified.

-I need a new avi

dagrandmastah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

thanks

damn that's a lot of replies. thanks for all the help guys. I wrote that OP before a meeting I had at work so I was racing to get it out...thus the typos. I do love this charcoal flavored protein though. lol

Anyways, seems that maybe adding milk will alleviate the issue so I'll try that (i've been using water otherwise). If it doesn't then I'll just go back to the syntha protein after I finish the little bit of whey i got left.

As for all the other posts, I'm not going to quote reply anyone but I agree with actual food being a good substitute. That being said, these are basically my breakfast protein drinks right after a morning workout so it's not like I'm skipping dinner and subbing in a protein shake. Plus I genuinly like these protein shakes I make (minus the clumping).

Not sure what the issue is with me saying that I'm just trying to get "cut and toned" as opposed to "bulking" up. I'm not trying to add an exponential amount of mass so I'm working out and eating with that in mind.

Kadisha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kadisha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kadisha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kadisha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kadisha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kadisha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kadisha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kadisha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kadisha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kadisha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kadisha is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Dude it could also be that the water you're using is too cold. I find that I have trouble mixing the stuff with water that's too cold during the summer, but honestly I've had no problem with ON Whey ever.
    Dirty Leb Crew
    US Army Infantry 2009-2013 'Murica