Thread: How hard is it?

Registered User WestlundFitness's Avatar
    WestlundFitness is not very helpful. (-500) WestlundFitness is not very helpful. (-500) WestlundFitness is not very helpful. (-500) WestlundFitness is not very helpful. (-500) WestlundFitness is not very helpful. (-500) WestlundFitness is not very helpful. (-500) WestlundFitness is not very helpful. (-500) WestlundFitness is not very helpful. (-500) WestlundFitness is not very helpful. (-500) WestlundFitness is not very helpful. (-500) WestlundFitness is not very helpful. (-500)

How hard is it?

How hard is it to get onto the olympic team? I've been searching for a roster of the USA team, but i can't seem to find one anywhere. just curious if anyone knows really "what it takes."

Thanks in advance

feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by WestlundFitness View Post
    How hard is it to get onto the olympic team? I've been searching for a roster of the USA team, but i can't seem to find one anywhere. just curious if anyone knows really "what it takes."

Thanks in advance
    Well, considering the Olympic team consists of the best athletes in the country... I'd say its pretty hard. There is no roster because I don't think the lifters have been chosen yet.
    Gym lifts (PB): C&J: 132.5k, Snatch: 107.5k (p)Jerk: 138k, Clean: 137k Front Squat: 153
    Deadlift: 455, Squat: 380(oly) 360 (pl), Bench: 245, CPUs: 9001
    Comp Total: 237k

jagboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jagboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jagboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jagboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jagboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jagboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jagboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jagboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jagboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jagboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jagboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    There isn't an Olympic Team so to speak. From what I understand, to have spots at the Olympics, you have to earn them at other events such as WWC. Then America has trials to test the best lifters in the nation and give out the spots by looking at who has the best chance of medaling in their respective weight class. I think men and women are separate.

This in itself is hard as fuark, because to qualify a spot, you have to actually be at the World Class level, or get extremely lucky at Worlds, with people getting injured or bombing out, but even then you'd have to be an elite lifter to even be at Worlds

The only representative for USA weightlifting in 2012 will be Sarah Robles.

Also there is a World Team that competed at such events as World Championship and Pan American Games. Those rosters should be on the USWA website. Most of the people on the two list are the same, but they do differ.

sorry for the long post, or if i gave any misinformation.
    118 Sn|150 C&J
    *Dallas Mavericks Crew*
    *Dallas Cowboys Crew*
    *Baltimore Ravens Crew*

WestlundFitness is not very helpful. (-500) WestlundFitness is not very helpful. (-500) WestlundFitness is not very helpful. (-500) WestlundFitness is not very helpful. (-500) WestlundFitness is not very helpful. (-500) WestlundFitness is not very helpful. (-500) WestlundFitness is not very helpful. (-500) WestlundFitness is not very helpful. (-500) WestlundFitness is not very helpful. (-500) WestlundFitness is not very helpful. (-500) WestlundFitness is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by jagboy View Post
    There isn't an Olympic Team so to speak. From what I understand, to have spots at the Olympics, you have to earn them at other events such as WWC. Then America has trials to test the best lifters in the nation and give out the spots by looking at who has the best chance of medaling in their respective weight class. I think men and women are separate.

This in itself is hard as fuark, because to qualify a spot, you have to actually be at the World Class level, or get extremely lucky at Worlds, with people getting injured or bombing out, but even then you'd have to be an elite lifter to even be at Worlds

Also there is a World Team that competed at such events as World Championship and Pan American Games. Those rosters should be on the USWA website. Most of the people on the two list are the same, but they do differ.

So unless you are basically approaching record setting numbers you wont even compete on the bigger stages? (worlds, olympics, etc)

feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

What about Farris and some of the other big names? Did they not qualify?
    Gym lifts (PB): C&J: 132.5k, Snatch: 107.5k (p)Jerk: 138k, Clean: 137k Front Squat: 153

jagboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jagboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jagboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jagboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jagboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jagboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jagboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jagboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jagboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jagboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jagboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    So unless you are basically approaching record setting numbers you wont even compete on the bigger stages? (worlds, olympics, etc)
    Pretty much. If you're not breaking or matching American Records, you probably will never compete in the Olympics. For Worlds and Pan Am, I think you just have to be one of the best in the weight class for America, we have sent 2 or even 3 representatives for a weight class if they all had potential.

Originally Posted by feces99 View Post
    What about Farris and some of the other big names? Did they and not qualify?
    Farris and Vaughn were the two closet to qualifying spots. Consequently they both represented USA back in 2008 at the Olympics. Farris missed his second 2 clean and jerk attempts at 200 and 20X i think. Both were with in what hes done before, and had he hit either would have placed top 10 or so and probly got a spot.

They are both at the age to were by Brazil 2016 they will be older than when most weightlifters peak. I've read that you are the best between mid to late 20s so we can probably look at people Like Ian Wilson Jared Flemmin etc, weightlifters who are younger and are already at the top of the American charts.
    118 Sn|150 C&J
    *Dallas Mavericks Crew*
    *Dallas Cowboys Crew*
    *Baltimore Ravens Crew*

Pretty much. If you're not breaking or matching American Records, you probably will never compete in the Olympics. For Worlds and Pan Am, I think you just have to be one of the best in the weight class for America, we have sent 2 or even 3 representatives for a weight class if they all had potential.

Farris and Vaughn were the two closet to qualifying spots. Consequently they both represented USA back in 2008 at the Olympics. Farris missed his second 2 clean and jerk attempts at 200 and 20X i think. Both were with in what hes done before, and had he hit either would have placed top 10 or so and probly got a spot.

They are both at the age to were by Brazil 2016 they will be older than when most weightlifters peak. I've read that you are the best between mid to late 20s so we can probably look at people Like Ian Wilson Jared Flemmin etc, weightlifters who are younger and are already at the top of the American charts.
    How long does it take to train to be at a serious level?

OP don't let it discourage you about getting into Olympic Weightlifting. I had only been doing a Starting Strength for about 8 months when I started Oly lifting in June. A poster on this forum said I probly couldn't get very far in weightlifting given my background. 6 or so months later I had a total that would qualify me for 2012 Junior Nationals too bad I'll be 21 this year. I'm also self taught and have no coach. Which alot of people will say you will fail if you don't have.

If you are determined and have the time I feel anyone can make it to the top of American Weightlifting.
    118 Sn|150 C&J
    *Dallas Mavericks Crew*
    *Dallas Cowboys Crew*
    *Baltimore Ravens Crew*

How long does it take to train to be at a serious level?
    It depends on the person. Some are strong by nature, some have to train more than others to achieve that strength. To get good enough to start turning heads probably takes about 3-5 years.

Originally Posted by feces99 View Post
    It depends on the person. Some are strong by nature, some have to train more than others to achieve that strength. To get good enough to start turning heads probably takes about 3-5 years.
    2020 olympics here i come!

olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Just to clear some things up. Getting to the Olympics will take a minimum of 6 years of hard training to accomplish. You will not likely get there without a coach to teach you the lifts and get you to the level needed. You may have the same coach throughout, or you might change coaches during your training. This happens.

Unless you have a background in strength, it will probably take you to 2020 to get there. Shane Hamman got there in 6 yrs, BUT he was a highly ranked powerlifter before getting into Olympic lifting. Tara Nott got there in 5 yrs, but also had significant athletic background, and it was the first time ever women were allowed to compete in the Olympics (2000).

Also, keep in mind that you can do all this and still not be strong enough, or talented enough to get to the Olympics. Again, this happens all the time, but don't let this discourage you, because you won't know unless you try.

As to this year's Olympics, the US has 2 women's slots, and none for men. The US will have to qualify for ONE spot at next year's Pan American Games. There will be an Olympic Qualifier at the Arnold's in March. The competition will rank the men and women separately based on a percentage to some qualifying total. The highest ranked lifters will be selected to go with alternates selected also.
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168969133

Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you have been given a gift you should pursue it to the point that the Chinese Olympic centers look like preschools. If not work hard and enjoy the sport. In both cases there is more the life than lifting.

thejdeck will become famous soon enough. (+50) thejdeck will become famous soon enough. (+50) thejdeck will become famous soon enough. (+50) thejdeck will become famous soon enough. (+50) thejdeck will become famous soon enough. (+50) thejdeck will become famous soon enough. (+50) thejdeck will become famous soon enough. (+50) thejdeck will become famous soon enough. (+50) thejdeck will become famous soon enough. (+50) thejdeck will become famous soon enough. (+50) thejdeck will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I hope the secret is five years cus then I'll be in brazil