Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

recommend a heater?

I lift in my garage gym which is basically a shed made out of plywood and it gets freezing like down to 0 degrees at the worst. I tried one of those electric fan heaters and it sucks, it does a great job of keeping the space 1 foot in front of it heated and that's about it. I wear tons of layers and it helps initially, but once I start sweating it just makes me even colder which completely ruins my workout on some days, like today. I enjoy lifting in the cold, it makes me feel like rocky lol, but on some days it's just too much. I'm just looking for something that'll make it bearable for the hour that I lift. I plan on insulating it eventually, but right now I just want something to get me by.

extremez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) extremez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) extremez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) extremez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) extremez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) extremez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) extremez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) extremez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) extremez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) extremez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) extremez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    kerosene heater? like a reddy heater or job site heater on wheels. I use one in my 28x28 garage if i'm working on the car or truck or some woodworking project. takes 10 minutes or so to warm up but it makes it comfortable with a sweatshirt.

jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Aren't those dangerous in enclosed areas because of the gas or am I thinking of something else?

twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by jimt91 View Post
    Aren't those dangerous in enclosed areas because of the gas or am I thinking of something else?
    A space heater like the one described is what you want, either kerosene or propane. The two dangers of a space heater are caused:

1) When there is a volatile source (gasoline, thinners, etc.) in the are which can cause an explosion, and

2) when the space that the heater is used is very tightly sealed and non-vented, which can cause carbon monoxide poisining

Basically, if the garage is detached, and at all drafty (from doors, windows, soffit or roof vents) which most are, then it's safe to use the space heater as long as there aren't any open volatile sources, or the ehater isn't next to, or aiming directly at cans of fuel.

For the matter of an hour or so, I really don't see a problem using a space heater. When it gets down near 0 degrees a kerosene style will work better for fuel use, but kerosene can leave soot, smell bad and even be bad for your breathing. While propane runs a whole lot cleaner, but isn't as efficient below 40 degrees.

One other problem with space heaters is that they can cause rust on raw materials such as uncoated olympic bars and tablesaw tops. This is caused after turning the heater off and moisture condenses on the raw mtal as it cools off.

I live in NC, where ther's high humidity, and use a propane heater (temps usually don't go below 30 degrees) in my pole barn without any rusting on the surfaces, but I also keep a dehumidifier (cost of about $10/month) in there as a precaution for all my power tools.

In the end you should be fine using a space heater. Good luck.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

[]---[] Equipment Crew #42 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #18 ()---()

extremez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) extremez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) extremez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) extremez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) extremez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) extremez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) extremez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) extremez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) extremez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) extremez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) extremez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    how big of an area is it? i use a little one like this.

boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000)
    i use a 120volt ceramic heater and keep a thermostat setting of a few degres above freezing....then about 10 minutes before my workout i start my propane heater (little buddy) and let it run on high. It warms up my space (15ft by 18ft) to about 16 degrees celcius.

tim
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 12

https://www.youtube.com/user/solvedphysicsproblem

117 videos showing the solutions to all highschool physics problems that could possibly come up.

Honestly my garage is a mess and there could be explosive liquids in there like gasoline and such and I wouldn't even know. The space is decently large it could fit 2 cars for sure. Kerosene heaters seem to do the job a lot better, but I don't want to get all light headed breathing that in the entire time I lift, but you said since it's not insulated it should be fine then? What if I heat it up like 30 min before I lift, would that give it time to vent out?

thanks everyone

bump

boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000)
    i think that the fumes in a garage will not be an issue...unless your garage is air tight. if you are real concerned, then buy a c02 detector and plug it in while you lift.

117 videos showing the solutions to all highschool physics problems that could possibly come up.

john-t-b is just really nice. (+1000) john-t-b is just really nice. (+1000) john-t-b is just really nice. (+1000) john-t-b is just really nice. (+1000) john-t-b is just really nice. (+1000) john-t-b is just really nice. (+1000) john-t-b is just really nice. (+1000) john-t-b is just really nice. (+1000) john-t-b is just really nice. (+1000) john-t-b is just really nice. (+1000) john-t-b is just really nice. (+1000)
    You need to get an infrared heater of some sort. Depending on a few things natural gas, propane or electric. Those will decide which one to get

Something like this:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...0294_200350294

Look through the other pages and you'll find some more options. They don't heat the space they heat the objects and believe me they work well. I'm an HVAC Tech and have to work on them in truck stops where the doors are open and from 15' in the air they will make you hot.

Actually if your Home Depot's are like the ones up in Ma. where i used to live they have them hanging above the cashiers. Sop by and stand under one and you'll notice it if it's on.

Also if you use a kerosine heater and worry about the fumes just get a small window fan blowing outwards on low or just leave a window open slightly. The heat will move towards the outdoors. The CO will go out with it. You would have to have an air tight space and run the heater for a long time to have the CO be an issue unless your house heater is out there too but, if it was piped right there should be a flue to outside anyway which takes the products of combustion with it.

Good luck.
    I'm not indecisive. Am I indecisive? - Anonymous

1st PL Comp. in 18 years.
    March 24, 2012
    Squat=410
    Bench=325
    Dead=500
    Total=1235

-!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #13 -!!!---!!!-

chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chemmech has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I purchased 2 infrared heaters and thermostats, 2000 watts a piece; Kalglo® Electric Infrared Heaters

I've had them about 2 years now, I've had no problems with them.
    Energy is what I have.....

twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I agree with this, as I said before you wpuld probably do best with a kerosene heater due to the fact that you are in or near Pittsburgh, Pa and the fumes shouldn't cause any problem unless you hang out in them for hours and your garage is seales tight.

Originally Posted by boxertim View Post
    i think that the fumes in a garage will not be an issue...unless your garage is air tight. if you are real concerned, then buy a c02 detector and plug it in while you lift.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

Alright thanks everyone I appreciate the help, I think I'm leaning towards the kerosene heater because I could just crack the door to my garage and if needed have a fan just blow the air out. And it'd probably be cheaper to run than an electric heater? Is there a specific kerosene heater you guys would recommend?

cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz
    i use a 120volt ceramic heater and keep a thermostat setting of a few degres above freezing....then about 10 minutes before my workout i start my propane heater (little buddy) and let it run on high. It warms up my space (15ft by 18ft) to about 16 degrees celcius.
    tim
    This, I would go with a ceramic heater before a fuel driven one. I know the chances of being overtaken by fumes in a garage are slim....but IMO, why chance it? I hear several news stories each winter of folk dieing due to c02.

Just not worth the risk, as small as it may be to not buy one that does not have the c02 issue at all.

My $.02 and thats about exactly what its worth...possibly even over charging there too.
    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

The more I workout at commercial gyms, the more I hate commercial gyms.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The other problem with fuel fed heaters is if the garage is below living space you may introduce the fumes into the house. I am a GC and I have seen this first hand.

Be careful and monitor the CO2 at all times especially before so you have a baseline reading.
    Last edited by wannagoheavy; 01-09-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: below
    This forum is great! Wish I found it years ago.....

daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by wannagoheavy View Post
    The other problem with fuel fed heaters is if the garage is above living space you may introduce the fumes into the house. I am a GC and I have seen this first hand.

Be careful and monitor the CO2 at all times especially before so you have a baseline reading.
    Very strong living space ceiling you have there.

Also, WTF is a GC? Is it painful?

wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by daniel327 View Post
    Very strong living space ceiling you have there.

Also, WTF is a GC? Is it painful?
    You know what I meant, living space above the garage

GC= General Contractor
    This forum is great! Wish I found it years ago.....

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
    This, I would go with a ceramic heater before a fuel driven one. I know the chances of being overtaken by fumes in a garage are slim....but IMO, why chance it? I hear several news stories each winter of folk dieing due to c02.

Just not worth the risk, as small as it may be to not buy one that does not have the c02 issue at all.

My $.02 and thats about exactly what its worth...possibly even over charging there too.

sometimes it gets so cold where i live that the ceramic heater works almost nonstop to keep it around 10 celcius (not sure what that is in F). i need to the propane to boost it up a few degrees

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    .............10 celcius (not sure what that is in F)..............

I think its like 638 degrees, so you should be good.

I'm terrible with conversions though.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    sometimes it gets so cold where i live that the ceramic heater works almost nonstop to keep it around 10 celcius (not sure what that is in F). i need to the propane to boost it up a few degrees
    10 deg Celcius is 50 deg F.

I don't know how you do it.

If the temperature get under 19 deg Celcius (~66 deg F) here, I don a sweater.

(Just for reference is currently 31 deg Celcius here - (~88 deg F) - at 10:22 am, so I'm used to it being pretty hot)

cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Keetman View Post
    I think its like 638 degrees, so you should be good.

I'm terrible with conversions though.
    683*. Yeah, I'd say you're not the best at conversions there, Keet.
    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

The more I workout at commercial gyms, the more I hate commercial gyms.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

is was a particularly warm day today...it was only -8C (17F)....the normal temp for this time is -25C (-13F)

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    I agree with not using the 'burning fuel" heaters.
    The forced air, ceramic or quartz heaters will do the job with less inherent risk than kerosene
    No matter what ventilation, kerosene heaters ALWAYS seem to give me an instant headache, so beware as i am not the only one they do this to.

stuff like this, aimed in the right direction, will put a whoompin on the cold for you in about 20-30 mins
    Big difference between a 12x12 size ceramic heater with a little fan and the tube style bazooka heaters from hell

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5176_200485176
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2121_200362121
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2124_200362124
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5480_200395480
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...9639_200459639
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6863_200496863

is was a particularly warm day today...it was only -8C (17F)....the normal temp for this time is -25C (-13F)
    Do you have a toilet seat heater or what, it seems like the ground cold would seep right up the ceramic and freeze your @ss to the seat...
    lift big 2 get big
    Former NPC Masters Competitor
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
    Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO....
    -Mods cannot do name changes
    -Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads

Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ctgblue View Post
    The forced air, ceramic or quartz heaters will do the job with less inherent risk than kerosene
    No matter what ventilation, kerosene heaters ALWAYS seem to give me an instant headache, so beware as i am not the only one they do this to.

stuff like this, aimed in the right direction, will put a whoompin on the cold for you in about 20-30 mins
    Big difference between a 12x12 size ceramic heater with a little fan and the tube style bazooka heaters from hell

Do you have a toilet seat heater or what, it seems like the ground cold would seep right up the ceramic and freeze your @ss to the seat...
    Great ideas, I'll probably order one of those you listed here in a week or so for my garage.

edit nvm just saw 240V. I don't have any outlets in my garage for that
    Last edited by Iczer; 01-10-2012 at 01:26 PM.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kansas City Chiefs
    Kansas City Royals
    Kansas Jayhawks
    LeBron James

I know where I live, in NC, not one of those heaters are worth a damn in an uninsulated outbuilding. If the Op is in an attached garage, or a garage that's insulated, those heaters will probably be fine. But a seperate, uninsulated, out building in Pittsburgh would need a fuel based space heater. I've used at least three of these heaters and they work fine when the temps are in the low 50's, maybe even the high 40's, but definitely not in the 30's. This is based on my experience with a bunch of different heaters in a 32'x18' uninsulated area that is used as a wood shop (and previously used as a workout area).

went to an outlet auto shop today and saw that you can buy a 210000 btu propane heater for $400 ... that would heat up a garage in 5 min.

Just do a search for propane heaters and you will be able to find lots online.

We do live in Igloos up here... so we just poop in a hole in the ice.

Originally Posted by twodog View Post
    I know where I live, in NC, not one of those heaters are worth a damn in an uninsulated outbuilding. If the Op is in an attached garage, or a garage that's insulated, those heaters will probably be fine. But a seperate, uninsulated, out building in Pittsburgh would need a fuel based space heater. I've used at least three of these heaters and they work fine when the temps are in the low 50's, maybe even the high 40's, but definitely not in the 30's. This is based on my experience with a bunch of different heaters in a 32'x18' uninsulated area that is used as a wood shop (and previously used as a workout area).
    So If I'd go with a propane heater, what should I look for in it to see how much of an area it will heat up? Thanks everyone

Originally Posted by jimt91 View Post
    So If I'd go with a propane heater, what should I look for in it to see how much of an area it will heat up? Thanks everyone
    Here's what I got http://www.lowes.com/pd_154996-88644...3D1&facetInfo= and it heats up either side (22x32 or 18x32) of my area real quick. On the rare occasion that it gets into the 20's I start it up and go back into the house for twenty minutes to get it toasty. Most of the time I spend 4 hours or more in the shop and I shut the heater off after about 1/2 an hour. If you have alot of stuff in the rest of your garage and don't want heat lasting on some of it you can go with this type of heater http://www.lowes.com/pd_245179-88644...3D1&facetInfo= FWIW, propane is cheaper purchasing it by the gallon and using a larger container than a grill type.

Originally Posted by twodog View Post
    Here's what I got http://www.lowes.com/pd_154996-88644...3D1&facetInfo= and it heats up either side (22x32 or 18x32) of my area real quick. On the rare occasion that it gets into the 20's I start it up and go back into the house for twenty minutes to get it toasty. Most of the time I spend 4 hours or more in the shop and I shut the heater off after about 1/2 an hour. If you have alot of stuff in the rest of your garage and don't want heat lasting on some of it you can go with this type of heater http://www.lowes.com/pd_245179-88644...3D1&facetInfo= FWIW, propane is cheaper purchasing it by the gallon and using a larger container than a grill type.
    Thanks great info, does propane need to be vented like kerosene?