Richy Rich Makin It Rayne GrandLuck's Avatar
    GrandLuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) GrandLuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) GrandLuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) GrandLuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) GrandLuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) GrandLuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) GrandLuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) GrandLuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) GrandLuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) GrandLuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) GrandLuck will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Squatting form help

I have trouble with my squatting...

Basically whenever I squat, I always lean a little too forward and my knees always go too far forward relative to my toes.

I'm trying to correct it and "sit" into the position, but I find this EXTREMELY hard to fix...

Anyone got some tips?

smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Well, knees going too far forward is because your are starting the movement with your knees. I like to start the movement with my hips/a$$. You should start the movement with your a$$ moving back first and if viewed from the side, your hips/a$$ will move back and down in an arc. Going up, hips will move up and forward into place at the top of the movement. Try and picture this while squatting with light weight till it feels right.
    2017 OCB Men's Physique Open 4th place
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    18 MP Open 5'10" & under 1st
    18 MP 40+ 1st & Overall..Pro Card Won
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd
    19 BB 40+ 1st..2nd Pro Card
    19 BB 40+1st..50+1st...3rd Pro Card
    21 BB 40+1st..50+1st..Open 5th..4th Card

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by GrandLuck View Post
    I have trouble with my squatting...

Basically whenever I squat, I always lean a little too forward and my knees always go too far forward relative to my toes.

I'm trying to correct it and "sit" into the position, but I find this EXTREMELY hard to fix...

Anyone got some tips?
    The forward lean is probably caused by trying to Squat more weight than you're currently strong enough to handle. The 'knees past the toes' may not really be a problem, but it's impossible to say for certain without seeing you Squat.

Post a vid from the side and a vid from front or back of you Squatting your regular working weight for a few reps. Form problems can't be addressed without vids.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Richy Rich Makin It Rayne GrandLuck's Avatar
    GrandLuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) GrandLuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) GrandLuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) GrandLuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) GrandLuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) GrandLuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) GrandLuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) GrandLuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) GrandLuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) GrandLuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) GrandLuck will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    The forward lean is probably caused by trying to Squat more weight than you're currently strong enough to handle. The 'knees past the toes' may not really be a problem, but it's impossible to say for certain without seeing you Squat.

Post a vid from the side and a vid from front or back of you Squatting your regular working weight for a few reps. Form problems can't be addressed without vids.
    well i can't get a vid up anytime soon, but this is almost exactly what I look like when it comes to squatting:

I'm trying to fix it by practicing sitting back more with just the bar or sometimes just with nothing, but I always lose balance and end up falling over backwards.

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    A quick fix is this:

- take a lot wider stance

- lower the bar alot on your back

these 2 things will change your center of gravity.

- start the movement by pushing your butt back and focus on this the entire way down and back up, focus on this. push your butt back. good, now push it back farther.

notice in the video how the knees are way over the toes. Thats just foldinh like an accordion. If you try my technique this wont be anywhere near as bad and you will be in control and feel stronger throughout the movement.

just keep at it, it takes some work.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by GrandLuck View Post
    well i can't get a vid up anytime soon, but this is almost exactly what I look like when it comes to squatting:
    If that's not you in the vid, there's little point in crituquing it.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

drvelociraptor is on a distinguished road. (+10) drvelociraptor is on a distinguished road. (+10) drvelociraptor is on a distinguished road. (+10) drvelociraptor is on a distinguished road. (+10) drvelociraptor is on a distinguished road. (+10) drvelociraptor is on a distinguished road. (+10) drvelociraptor is on a distinguished road. (+10) drvelociraptor is on a distinguished road. (+10) drvelociraptor is on a distinguished road. (+10) drvelociraptor is on a distinguished road. (+10) drvelociraptor is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You need to get your knees out a lot sooner in the lift and keep them out. If your knees stay in it causes impingement with your hips and then the only way you can get depth is to round your back and lean forward.

Sit back, knees up, chest out are three cues you should always have in the back of your mind. You knees need to be so far out it's uncomfortable for you.

jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I've heard great things about box squats
    The more that you read, the more things you'll know.
    The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.

Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149723023