SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000)

Unhappy Weaker in Winter?

Okay, I know that sounds stupid, but I swear something is going on. This happened last winter also. I seem to get weaker and go backwards for most, if not all, of the winter. Once winter is over, my numbers start going up.

I don't know if it's winter itself, the fact that I get more depressed in winter, or what. I'm ready to pull my hair out my workouts have been going so horribly lately. My crappy workout are just adding to the depression since working out was how I kept it under control for the most part.

I was close to breaking down in tears today when the 135 lbs felt heavy for DL's.

Anyone have any (serious) ideas?
    Me vs. Me: Lifting with UCTD: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170084343

dan_g_28 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dan_g_28 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dan_g_28 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dan_g_28 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dan_g_28 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dan_g_28 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dan_g_28 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dan_g_28 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dan_g_28 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dan_g_28 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dan_g_28 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Opposite for me. I usually get stronger in the winter because I found it easier to gain weight. I have a fairly physical job outdoors, so I lose a little weight and energy when its hot out.
    570/500/715 - Best Gym Lifts @ 225 raw

My training log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154521413&p=1087393603#post1087393603

Youtube channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/dan200428?feature=mhee

Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Stronger in winter. I can eat more and I don't sweat like a maniac.
    I don't care.

Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Are you warming up properly? All I can think is that in the winter your muscles and joints are colder and tighter so you need to warm up more than you are. Other than that just make sure your diet is as good as it is in summer, sleeping pattern etc.

Smolovicus is just really nice. (+1000) Smolovicus is just really nice. (+1000) Smolovicus is just really nice. (+1000) Smolovicus is just really nice. (+1000) Smolovicus is just really nice. (+1000) Smolovicus is just really nice. (+1000) Smolovicus is just really nice. (+1000) Smolovicus is just really nice. (+1000) Smolovicus is just really nice. (+1000) Smolovicus is just really nice. (+1000) Smolovicus is just really nice. (+1000)
    I live up in the Pacific Northwest so winter means we've already experienced 3 months of gray and rain (with little or no snow nearer to the coast, where I am) and are in for another 5 at least.

Generally, I feel less positive and motivated all around during the winter. My mind tends to drift more often and I have less overall interest in things like social events or even personal success. This is in stark opposition to how I am in the dead of summer, or near the end. I don't think it's a coincidence that I've seen my greatest gains as the winter closes and summer begins.

Ultimately I believe it comes down to setting your goals and dismissing all those clouding thoughts for the sake of pursuing them. If it is legitimate, clinical depression holding you back, then that's another beast entirely.

Could also just be that your immune system is working increasingly hard to fend off the cold and sicknesses that tend to come with the season.

EDIT: Of course, my greatest gains were still in my initial "noob gain" phase, so that has to be considered. lol
    Best gym lifts: S 430 / B 385 / D 480 both C&S

pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Incensed View Post
    Are you warming up properly? All I can think is that in the winter your muscles and joints are colder and tighter so you need to warm up more than you are. Other than that just make sure your diet is as good as it is in summer, sleeping pattern etc.
    This is the only thing that makes sense to me as well. make sure you are warmed up, even more if it is colder out (winter)

SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by dan_g_28 View Post
    Opposite for me. I usually get stronger in the winter because I found it easier to gain weight. I have a fairly physical job outdoors, so I lose a little weight and energy when its hot out.
    Originally Posted by Liftamulti View Post
    Stronger in winter. I can eat more and I don't sweat like a maniac.
    Not sweating as much makes sense.

Originally Posted by Incensed View Post
    I just thought of the warming up thing when I got home today. I'm going to warm up more before squats tomorrow and see if that treats me any better. The test will be Thursday when I deadlift again. That seems to be what's suffering the most right now.

Originally Posted by Smolovicus View Post
    I live up in the Pacific Northwest so winter means we've already experienced 3 months of gray and rain (with little or no snow nearer to the coast, where I am) and are in for another 5 at least.

Generally, I feel less positive and motivated all around during the winter. My mind tends to drift more often and I have less overall interest in things like social events or even personal success. This is in stark opposition to how I am in the dead of summer, or near the end. I don't think it's a coincidence that I've seen my greatest gains as the winter closes and summer begins.

Ultimately I believe it comes down to setting your goals and dismissing all those clouding thoughts for the sake of pursuing them. If it is legitimate, clinical depression holding you back, then that's another beast entirely.

Could also just be that your immune system is working increasingly hard to fend off the cold and sicknesses that tend to come with the season.

I'm definitely not as motivated in the winter, that's for sure. I do have clinical depression and have been on and off anti-depressants since I was 14, 10 years and counting. The winter makes it worse and I'm already on the highest dose of this particular medication that is approved for depression. I work in an ER so the immune system is an idea as well.

Originally Posted by pryme View Post
    This is the only thing that makes sense to me as well. make sure you are warmed up, even more if it is colder out (winter)
    Will do!

Thanks everyone.

I'll come back tomorrow after squats and report how they went after a longer warmup.
    Me vs. Me: Lifting with UCTD: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170084343

B.Money is just really nice. (+1000) B.Money is just really nice. (+1000) B.Money is just really nice. (+1000) B.Money is just really nice. (+1000) B.Money is just really nice. (+1000) B.Money is just really nice. (+1000) B.Money is just really nice. (+1000) B.Money is just really nice. (+1000) B.Money is just really nice. (+1000) B.Money is just really nice. (+1000) B.Money is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have heard that more calories are burnt when cold, perhaps to keep body temp up. Take that for what its worth.

Other than that, I wouldn't worry too much. Just be do your best, be glad your healthy and able to do the lifts, then kill it in the other months.
    B.Money's raw @165 log: http://forum.lift.net/topic/2-bmoneys-training-log/

Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I felt really bad last winter, too. Unmotivated and just crappy - I do think it had to do with the cold affecting my joints and such. Hopefully that's all your problem really is and that you can remedy it with a more comprehensive warm up.

Personally, I haven't really increased my warm ups this winter, but I'm finding that so far, having a space heater in my "home gym" and layering heavily have helped a lot. Also I've started using sleeves, which I didn't before. You might give those a try too, if you're not already?

Mentally, what's been helping me is to keep in mind that the year is winding down. I don't want to finish out this year as weak as I am. After the 31st, I will never have a chance to get stronger in 2011 again.

Upperhillsdale is on a distinguished road. (+10) Upperhillsdale is on a distinguished road. (+10) Upperhillsdale is on a distinguished road. (+10) Upperhillsdale is on a distinguished road. (+10) Upperhillsdale is on a distinguished road. (+10) Upperhillsdale is on a distinguished road. (+10) Upperhillsdale is on a distinguished road. (+10) Upperhillsdale is on a distinguished road. (+10) Upperhillsdale is on a distinguished road. (+10) Upperhillsdale is on a distinguished road. (+10) Upperhillsdale is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Perhaps a vitamin D deficiency due to lack of sunlight?

"When you lift in Russia, you more much stronger." - Koklyaev

fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Upperhillsdale View Post

Quoted for gospel. I take 20,000 IU daily to prevent this shi.

[edit]My paternal side of the family (me and sister included) has a problem either synthesizing or utilizing vitamin D, so lower the dose to 5,000 IU if you're normal.
    You like art? www.artstarter.nl

You make art? www.artstarter.nl

You suck off hobos? www.artstarter.nl

24skiddidle is not very helpful. (-500) 24skiddidle is not very helpful. (-500) 24skiddidle is not very helpful. (-500) 24skiddidle is not very helpful. (-500) 24skiddidle is not very helpful. (-500) 24skiddidle is not very helpful. (-500) 24skiddidle is not very helpful. (-500) 24skiddidle is not very helpful. (-500) 24skiddidle is not very helpful. (-500) 24skiddidle is not very helpful. (-500) 24skiddidle is not very helpful. (-500)
    Logically I don't think there's much correlation between winter and your decrease in strength.

You mentioned anti-depressants, and a good number of them are notorious for robbing you of your enthusiasm and motivation; curing strong feelings of depression by making you feel numb instead. Perhaps the fact that you're less motivated has led you to not being on the basic track of eating right, sticking to your routine etc?

As someone mentioned above it wouldn't hurt to increase your warming up ever so slightly to remedy the cold weather's effects on your body. Hope you 1) feel better and 2) get stronger and 3) yes I'm being nicer than I actually am because you're a girl.

fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by 24skiddidle View Post
    Logically I don't think there's much correlation between winter and your decrease in strength.
    There is a link between winter and vitamin D status (obviously), and a link between vitamin D and strength.* Correllation =/= causation, but still more than enough linkage to not dismiss it out of hand.

*e.g. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21528160,
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11991436,
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18727936

Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Forced air furnaces instead of fresh air, lack of vitamin D, cold seems to be draining. May just be bro science but I think these factors are relevant.

sanders89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sanders89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sanders89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sanders89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sanders89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sanders89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sanders89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sanders89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sanders89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sanders89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sanders89 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I hear ya SophieM. My lifts started to go down as well, a weight I could triple easily a couple of weeks ago, I was struggling to double recently. Made me come back to the forum lol. The cold, lack of motivation and potential weight gain for me make winters not the best time to get stronger.

Just stay focused and have at it.

max1122 is just really nice. (+1000) max1122 is just really nice. (+1000) max1122 is just really nice. (+1000) max1122 is just really nice. (+1000) max1122 is just really nice. (+1000) max1122 is just really nice. (+1000) max1122 is just really nice. (+1000) max1122 is just really nice. (+1000) max1122 is just really nice. (+1000) max1122 is just really nice. (+1000) max1122 is just really nice. (+1000)
    hmm... im experiencing crazy mood swings / depression too. Probably due to vitamin D deficiency.

About strength loss, no. Chances are your warm-ups are not sufficient enough due to the cold weather. HAving said that though, currently on deload week. Been busting my ass for the last month and right now not motivated at all....
    Signature

showmestate08 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) showmestate08 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) showmestate08 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) showmestate08 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) showmestate08 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) showmestate08 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) showmestate08 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) showmestate08 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) showmestate08 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) showmestate08 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) showmestate08 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Here's part of an abstract from a study I helped conduct a couple years back:

"Cardiovascular disease (CVD) is the number one cause of death in the United States and an important public health problem. Seasonal variation in CVD morbidity, with up to a 50% higher winter occurrence, has been observed for 80 years, yet the physiological parameters that precipitate this seasonal peak have not been defined. Preliminary data in healthy men suggest that hematocrit (Hct, a determinant of blood viscosity) peaks while plasma nitrite/nitrate (NOx, a stable metabolite of the vasodilator molecule, nitric oxide) troughs in late fall/early winter."

http://www.labome.org/grant/r21/nr/i...y-7579978.html
    Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151789213&page=19

BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You are weaker in the winter because of the lack of sunlight. Sunlight helps the body to synthesize more than just vitamin D. Your testosterone levels are highest when exposed to a good deal of sunlight. Lack of sun exposure also causes depression, this can be seen above the arctic circle where people go for long periods without seeing sunlight. You should start using a tanning bed (use an older model because they have higher UVB rays than newer, nicer models).
    1st Strongman Competition May 3rd, 2014

Originally Posted by showmestate08 View Post
    Here's part of an abstract from a study I helped conduct a couple years back:

"Cardiovascular disease (CVD) is the number one cause of death in the United States and an important public health problem. Seasonal variation in CVD morbidity, with up to a 50% higher winter occurrence, has been observed for 80 years, yet the physiological parameters that precipitate this seasonal peak have not been defined. Preliminary data in healthy men suggest that hematocrit (Hct, a determinant of blood viscosity) peaks while plasma nitrite/nitrate (NOx, a stable metabolite of the vasodilator molecule, nitric oxide) troughs in late fall/early winter."

http://www.labome.org/grant/r21/nr/i...y-7579978.html
    interesting. What is the distribution pattern of those events? Vitamin D levels peak in September (northern hemisphere) and bottom out 6 months later. Would be interesting to see if those match.

Originally Posted by B.Money View Post
    I have heard that more calories are burnt when cold, perhaps to keep body temp up. Take that for what its worth.

Other than that, I wouldn't worry too much. Just be do your best, be glad your healthy and able to do the lifts, then kill it in the other months.
    Eating more is always fun. I can always give that a try.

Originally Posted by Shnappley View Post
    I felt really bad last winter, too. Unmotivated and just crappy - I do think it had to do with the cold affecting my joints and such. Hopefully that's all your problem really is and that you can remedy it with a more comprehensive warm up.

Personally, I haven't really increased my warm ups this winter, but I'm finding that so far, having a space heater in my "home gym" and layering heavily have helped a lot. Also I've started using sleeves, which I didn't before. You might give those a try too, if you're not already?

Mentally, what's been helping me is to keep in mind that the year is winding down. I don't want to finish out this year as weak as I am. After the 31st, I will never have a chance to get stronger in 2011 again.
    That's very true. I don't want to end 2011 like this. I could also get my home gym warmer before lifting. I'll have to get some sleeves. I don't have any.

Originally Posted by Upperhillsdale View Post

Originally Posted by fatbencher View Post
    Quoted for gospel. I take 20,000 IU daily to prevent this shi.
    My last labs showed I was vitamin D deficient. I had been taking a supplement but had gotten lax about it as of late. I took it this morning and will be more mindful of taking one every day.

Originally Posted by 24skiddidle View Post

You mentioned anti-depressants, and a good number of them are notorious for robbing you of your enthusiasm and motivation; curing strong feelings of depression by making you feel numb instead. Perhaps the fact that you're less motivated has led you to not being on the basic track of eating right, sticking to your routine etc?

As someone mentioned above it wouldn't hurt to increase your warming up ever so slightly to remedy the cold weather's effects on your body. Hope you 1) feel better and 2) get stronger and 3) yes I'm being nicer than I actually am because you're a girl.
    I don't think it's the anti-depressant. I've been on it for well over a year now. It could be the time of year, low vitamin D making the depression worse, blah, blah, blah.

Originally Posted by fatbencher View Post
    There is a link between winter and vitamin D status (obviously), and a link between vitamin D and strength.* Correllation =/= causation, but still more than enough linkage to not dismiss it out of hand.
    True.

Originally Posted by Iceman1800 View Post
    Forced air furnaces instead of fresh air, lack of vitamin D, cold seems to be draining. May just be bro science but I think these factors are relevant.
    They could be. I know the forced air is going a number on my allergies, that's for sure.

Originally Posted by sanders89 View Post
    I hear ya SophieM. My lifts started to go down as well, a weight I could triple easily a couple of weeks ago, I was struggling to double recently. Made me come back to the forum lol. The cold, lack of motivation and potential weight gain for me make winters not the best time to get stronger.

Just stay focused and have at it.
    I'm trying to have at it but it seems more like it's having a go at me.

Originally Posted by BigJon55 View Post
    You are weaker in the winter because of the lack of sunlight. Sunlight helps the body to synthesize more than just vitamin D. Your testosterone levels are highest when exposed to a good deal of sunlight. Lack of sun exposure also causes depression, this can be seen above the arctic circle where people go for long periods without seeing sunlight. You should start using a tanning bed (use an older model because they have higher UVB rays than newer, nicer models).
    I don't think things are bad enough to use a tanning bed. I wouldn't mind getting a sun lamp one of these days though.

It's been a crazy day and I haven't made it to the gym yet. Hoping a longer warm up will help things.

Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000) Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000) Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000) Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000) Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000) Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000) Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000) Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000) Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000) Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000) Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm weaker in winter because I always feel tired - probably due to the lack of sunlight I get (many days absolutely none), take longer to recover (again probably related to the lack of sunlight) and eat less.
    My log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120990011

There are 10 types of people: those that understand binary, and those that do not.

RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is depression related to amount of sunlight/time of year.

If you search that, you'll find a ton of stuff that should help.

Full spectrum lighting that was mentioned before is a really good idea.

There are also alarms that will wake you up with gradually increasing full spectrum light - supposed to mimic sunrise or somesuch. Not clear on the science, but a lot of folks claim they work.

You may need an increase of depression meds during fall and winter, even if you don't have true SAD - my allergies and sinuses go nuts and can really affect my mood/energy levels.

Increase in medicine you're taking to treat allergies could also be a source - nearly every antihistamine has some mental health side effects. You might try switching allergy meds (for sure if you're using Claritin - at higher doses it has the sleepy effect that benadryl and the other drying antihistamine have).

One thing to remember is that working out is really going to help your energy levels in the long run - if you can drag yourself to the gym at all, you should start feeling more energetic as you work out.
    No shoes, no shirt, and I still get service.

F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yeah the vitamin D thing is definitely a big one. I read some studies out of this book 'supertraining' written by some russian sport scientist talking about how they structured the hardest training cycles to be in the summer months because the extra sunlight increased important hormone levels which would aid in recovery and gains.

dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think we as human beings have a tendency to look at external factors that you cannot control rather than controlling the things you can. I seem to recall a similar thread in the Summer where you were discouraged by your lack of progress and decided that environmental factors were largely at play. If you have allergies the Spring may end up being problematic and Fall has its own issues. Control what you can (diet, programming, sleep, supplementation), adapt to the stuff you can't (genetics, Earth's rotation, gravity, work schedule, the temperature).

Originally Posted by Shaun_W View Post
    I'm weaker in winter because I always feel tired - probably due to the lack of sunlight I get (many days absolutely none), take longer to recover (again probably related to the lack of sunlight) and eat less.
    Good points.

Originally Posted by RMBros View Post
    Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is depression related to amount of sunlight/time of year.

If you search that, you'll find a ton of stuff that should help.

Full spectrum lighting that was mentioned before is a really good idea.

There are also alarms that will wake you up with gradually increasing full spectrum light - supposed to mimic sunrise or somesuch. Not clear on the science, but a lot of folks claim they work.

You may need an increase of depression meds during fall and winter, even if you don't have true SAD - my allergies and sinuses go nuts and can really affect my mood/energy levels.

Increase in medicine you're taking to treat allergies could also be a source - nearly every antihistamine has some mental health side effects. You might try switching allergy meds (for sure if you're using Claritin - at higher doses it has the sleepy effect that benadryl and the other drying antihistamine have).

One thing to remember is that working out is really going to help your energy levels in the long run - if you can drag yourself to the gym at all, you should start feeling more energetic as you work out.
    Next time I go to the doctors I'll see if we can increase the antidepressants during the fall/winter months. I'd probably have to add another one as I'm already on the highest dose of the one I'm taking.

I'd LOVE one of those full spectrum alarm clocks. I need to look into those. I've heard of them but never really looked into them.

Originally Posted by F1eld View Post
    Yeah the vitamin D thing is definitely a big one. I read some studies out of this book 'supertraining' written by some russian sport scientist talking about how they structured the hardest training cycles to be in the summer months because the extra sunlight increased important hormone levels which would aid in recovery and gains.
    I'll definitely try to keep up with my supplement. I didn't realize how important it was to strength/energy levels.

Originally Posted by dtaps24 View Post
    I think we as human beings have a tendency to look at external factors that you cannot control rather than controlling the things you can. I seem to recall a similar thread in the Summer where you were discouraged by your lack of progress and decided that environmental factors were largely at play. If you have allergies the Spring may end up being problematic and Fall has its own issues. Control what you can (diet, programming, sleep, supplementation), adapt to the stuff you can't (genetics, Earth's rotation, gravity, work schedule, the temperature).
    I agree. I could definitely more consistent in the gym and get on a more normal sleep schedule(or as normal as can be when you work nights 3 days and go to classes 2 days during the day). There are definitely things under my control that I could work on improving.

I did a longer warm-up today and it seemed to help. As I said, I'm also going to start taking the vitamin D supplement regularly again now that I realize how important it is. The sleep and diet is a work in progress.

Thanks everyone. At least the solstice is almost here so it will be getting lighter out instead of darker.

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by SophieM View Post
    Okay, I know that sounds stupid, but I swear something is going on. This happened last winter also. I seem to get weaker and go backwards for most, if not all, of the winter. Once winter is over, my numbers start going up.

I don't know if it's winter itself, the fact that I get more depressed in winter, or what. I'm ready to pull my hair out my workouts have been going so horribly lately. My crappy workout are just adding to the depression since working out was how I kept it under control for the most part.

I was close to breaking down in tears today when the 135 lbs felt heavy for DL's.

Anyone have any (serious) ideas?
    Have you tired starting with some light conditioning or beefing up your warm up work at all? Even typing it out it sounds like broscience to me but it could simply be the temperature change requires you to warm up a bit more before you're at the same level of "training ready" you might be during warmer months.

SFW and grow a beard Blarnee_92's Avatar
    Blarnee_92 is just really nice. (+1000) Blarnee_92 is just really nice. (+1000) Blarnee_92 is just really nice. (+1000) Blarnee_92 is just really nice. (+1000) Blarnee_92 is just really nice. (+1000) Blarnee_92 is just really nice. (+1000) Blarnee_92 is just really nice. (+1000) Blarnee_92 is just really nice. (+1000) Blarnee_92 is just really nice. (+1000) Blarnee_92 is just really nice. (+1000) Blarnee_92 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I honestly didn't expect this thread to go as well as it did! I'm gonna start warming up a bit more before lifting now, i've also noticed a bit of strength decrease in the past few weeks
    **New Jersey Crew 732**

The Barbender Bartender

FaithSullivan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Strength drop in winter

not meant to bump up an old thread but I am currently staying in the US for a year and I hail from sunny Singapore. Temperatures are around 90-100 all year round. But i felt my strength plummet drastically after coming here during winter. I can press 60kg for my OHP for 4-5 reps but I have trouble doing even 1 rep now. Winter is somehow sucking my strength out. I have increased my warm ups and calories but it really doesn't help. I think it may be the lack of vitamin D. I have no freaking idea what is happening to me. feeling piss weak.