troypesola has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) troypesola has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pullup Grips Made From Softballs (DIY Equipment)

I just made some of these this weekend. What a fun project. Anytime you can use a welder is a fun project, right?

I can't post links, but ... if you want to check it out
    CubeDwellerFitness (dot) com /2011/12/softball-pullup-grips/

The process is fairly simple:

1) Buy stuff
    -2 softballs
    -2 chain segments 9" each
    -2 7/16 carabiners
    -2 8" eye bolts and nuts 3/8
    -4 wide washers for the eyebolts
    -section of 1" dia hose (optional)

2) Drill through the softballs

3) Push the eyebolts through the softballs

4) Install 2 washers and nut, then weld together.

5) Connect chain, carabiner, and eyebolt.

6) Slit a section of hose to slip over the pullup bar, install on the bar.

7) Hang the grips by looping the chain over the pullup bar and connecting with the carabiner.

8) Do pullups to build massive forearms and a v-shaped back (at least that's the plan, right)

Let me know what you think.

-Troy
    --
    http://cubedwellerfitness.com - Remember, there's life outside the box.

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Elite FTS also has new "Grenade" handles in 3 inch and 4 inch sizes. Though, not as cheap as sticking an eye bolt through a softball.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...&m=PD&pid=5068

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by troypesola View Post
    I just made some of these this weekend. What a fun project. Anytime you can use a welder is a fun project, right?

http://cubedwellerfitness.com/2011/1...-pullup-grips/
    (I've changed the portion that I quoted so that your site is directly linked.)

Nice job!

If I were doing it, I probably would not have bothered with the welding. I'd use red loctite. That said, if I owned a welder, maybe I would weld it just because I could...

There have been other posts here about this kind of project. As I recall, the other projects didn't drill a hole al the way through the baseball or softball, but instead used the type of eye bolts that screw into wood. But I think there's always been some concern about the eye bolt pulling out. You won't need to worry about that with yours.

The other thing that I might have done differently is use nylon webbing (instead of chain) for attaching the softball grips to the pull-up bar. No need to worry about protecting the bar from chain damage that way.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

troypesola has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) troypesola has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    (I've changed the portion that I quoted so that your site is directly linked.)

Nice job!

If I were doing it, I probably would not have bothered with the welding. I'd use red loctite. That said, if I owned a welder, maybe I would weld it just because I could....
    Thanks. I went over to a friends house who has a welder. How could we NOT use it?

I saw the EliteFTS version, but ... I work at a non-profit and have two kids in college. This version was fun to do, fits the budget, and works well.

Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    There have been other posts here about this kind of project. As I recall, the other projects didn't drill a hole al the way through the baseball or softball, but instead used the type of eye bolts that screw into wood. But I think there's always been some concern about the eye bolt pulling out. You won't need to worry about that with yours.

The other thing that I might have done differently is use nylon webbing (instead of chain) for attaching the softball grips to the pull-up bar. No need to worry about protecting the bar from chain damage that way.
    I wouldn't trust screw into the balls to hold. That's just me. There aren't going to go anywhere and time soon.

I do like the idea of webbing instead. That wouldn't be a difficult upgrade. I think I'd put a ring on the one end of the webbing to make it easier to get on and off the carabiner.
    --
    http://cubedwellerfitness.com - Remember, there's life outside the box.