toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000)

Stumptuous: F*ck Calories

Don't know if this has been posted already but just saw Krista Scott-Dixon @ stumptuous has a new pdf out. She's always a good read and makes some great points in this.

http://www.stumptuous.com/category/new
    Goal: Peace, love & happiness...and arms that go bump in the night.

“It's never been true, not anywhere at any time, that the value of a soul, of a human spirit, is dependent on a number on a scale" G. Roth

axleburn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) axleburn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) axleburn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) axleburn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) axleburn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) axleburn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) axleburn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) axleburn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) axleburn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) axleburn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) axleburn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This looks interesting. Thanks for the headsup!

andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    just downloaded. looking fwd to reading. thanks! tried to rep you but gotta spread it around. annoying.

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    not that impressive.

i'm not sure who her target audience is but ranting about common sense w expletives like she just invented the wheel isn't my cup of tea.

plenty broscience in there, too (dairy/calcium, cut out grains/wheat etc.). 'some foods don't want to be eaten?' tell that to a cow before it was turned into a steak.
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    'some foods don't want to be eaten?' tell that to a cow before it was turned into a steak.
    Miranda, you rock! That was funny
    Caring about what people think of you is useless. Most people don't even know what they think of themselves.

Stop watering dead plants

toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000)
    - I like the intuitive eating aspect of this, especially as she is somebody who lifts. Don't see that often. And as somebody who can tip over into the nutso side of things I need the reminder every so often to step back and see how my body is feeling. I go through cycles of getting caught up in weighing & tracking meticulously and then rebound and get fed up with it all and just want to 'be' and figure this is no way to live my life going forward. Lather, rinse, repeat. So I appreciate the slow down, eat when you're hungry, step away from the crazy approach.

- I agree with her on the quality of your food mattering, on the crap that is put in food, on knowing that where you get your food makes a difference

- as for the grain/paleo thing...I know how it is perceived here, on BB, as the daftest idea in history with no credible studies to back it up and let's poke fun at every idiot who dares says they are doing paleo...but I don't know how I feel about it. I absolutely love my grains and don't want to give them up in any way...but everybody in my family has jumped on the gluten-free bandwagon and declares their X, Y & Z ailment has gone away/improved. I wonder if I gave it a try would my frikkin insane sinus issues clear up, would my excema go away...panacea or pile of crap...I don't know...

The swearing in this didn't bother me, though it really, really did in Skinny Bitch...go figure.

“It's never been true, not anywhere at any time, that the value of a soul, of a human spirit, is dependent on a number on a scale" G. Roth

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by toodlepip View Post
    The swearing in this didn't bother me
    yeah i guess the book would've been 15 pages without all the ****s and ****s.

but really, i did have another look and the more it looks like a stupid, dumbed-down piece of crap. i used to read krista's stuff and some of it is good but this is just horrible: food combining, don't eat sugar, dairy is useless for calcium (har), the whole no-grains thing. might find more voodoo if i browsed it further.

and why, why, WHY? cuz she says so <- and that's the problem i have with it. not even that she spouts broscience, she doesn't even bother to try come up with some sort pseudo-intellectual sounding reasoning for why she says what she says, it's just cool-sounding dogma shoved down believers' throats.

the intuitive bit is okay though, albeit it makes me wonder how many times you have to try get sense into people's heads before it sinks in. (never.) and even at that, 'don't count calories' is TERRIBLE advice if you believe you don't have to care about quantity so long as you ****ing drop all grains and never ****ing combine fat with ****ing sugar in terms of staying lean n mean and ****ing womanly or whatever gung-ho fem agenda her gutsy, no-food-fearing barbell-pounding people are lapping up these days

/rant
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

the intuitive bit is okay though, albeit it makes me wonder how many times you have to try get sense into people's heads before it sinks in. (never.) and even at that, 'don't count calories' is TERRIBLE advice if you believe you don't have to care about quantity so long as you ****ing drop all grains and never ****ing combine fat with ****ing sugar in terms of staying lean n mean and ****ing womanly or whatever gung-ho fem agenda her gutsy, no-food-fearing barbell-pounding people are lapping up these days
    My take on this is yes calories matter, we all know they do, but don't let your life revolve around the numbers and maybe examine to what degree do you want them to take precedence in your life. My understanding of the point she was trying to make was to shut off the mind that constantly tracks and adds up cals and maybe just sit with yourself and see how you feel, get to know what works for your body, what makes you feel nourished and well as opposed to just tracking and logging without ever giving this any thought.

re the intuitive aspects of eating sinking in - well that's the whole issue isn't it...if we were only led by reason and rationality it wouldn't be an issue...but we aren't. We make decisions based on emotion as well. I may know what to do to reach my goals, but whether I do it or not (despite wanting it) is another story - there's a disconnect that exists and that is what is worth exploring. It's when people seemingly sabotage their progress. So the whole feck the calories idea, or what I gleaned from it, is when you live according to numbers (your cals, your macros) you are in some ways treating yourself as less than the whole that you are.

Originally Posted by toodlepip View Post
    re the intuitive aspects of eating sinking in - well that's the whole issue isn't it...if we were only led by reason and rationality it wouldn't be an issue...but we aren't. We make decisions based on emotion as well. I may know what to do to reach my goals, but whether I do it or not (despite wanting it) is another story - there's a disconnect that exists and that is what is worth exploring. It's when people seemingly sabotage their progress. So the whole feck the calories idea, or what I gleaned from it, is when you live according to numbers (your cals, your macros) you are in some ways treating yourself as less than the whole that you are.
    oh i certainly agree there are people who project their insecurity onto a number (on the scale, BF%, calories) they must hold onto or want to attain in order not to crumble inside - unless they [sub]consciously self-sabotage by choosing a number they can't stick to so they're entitled to feel bad or victimise themselves.

it takes courage to 'let go and just be' like new age folks would put it, which in turn would teach the person how to feel and cherish the moment (eating and otherwise).

developing true sense of self-worth is a subject worth writing great books about, but this is not one of them. it takes a lot of honest introspection et cetera to reach that stage and while you're at it, it is a darn good idea to learn about calories and portion sizes

but in krista's words: **** calories, **** grains and fat is awesome unless you combine it with sugar. now, that is helpful.
    Last edited by Miranda; 12-19-2011 at 11:49 PM.

NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    yeah i guess the book would've been 15 pages without all the ****s and ****s.
    Hmm, I'll pass on that alone.
    “Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out.” Anton Chekhov

"10% of life, is what happens to you--90% is how you respond to it."

"I know that I know nothing"--Socrates

new heights of badassity summertown74's Avatar
    summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Thank you for sharing the link, toodlepip. I actually enjoyed the cussing trucker that I am. I know that I personally feel much more energized when I eat real food instead of processed food products. So for me, I agreed with a lot of what the author wrote. I think she did address portion control when she talked about plate size and getting to know your body's actual hunger signals. And sure she didn't use any studies or research to back up her arguments, but I thought that was kind of her point?
    Anyway I enjoyed the read, thanks again for sharing!
    wabi sabi...the art of finding beauty in the imperfections of life.