• No, never tried it

7 77.78%
  • I have tried but had little or no expected results

1 11.11%
  • Regular for 1 month with good results

1 11.11%
  • Regular for more than 6 months with good results

0 0%
    StigBjorne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Stig Björne: what about the benefits of Calistenics?

What about the benefits of calistenics generally? I am impressed by these guys, the muscular development and their body control. I wonder if people in the forum may garantee the effectiveness of this practise. Do you recommend it? Why would I choose calistenics for building muscles? What are the pros and cons?

Please search for "Down with the Calisthenics Kingz" at You Tube for inspiration.

/Stig Björne, first post in this forum

PeterRauke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Calisthenics

I think calisthenics is all about developing functional strength. It develops both muscular and cardiovascular fitness and you can do it without training equipment.

In the first video there are examples of some simple exercises that still is a tuff program to do on a regular basis. It is fast and effective training.

See Youtube: "300 Spartan Workout Routine To Help You Get Six Pack Abs"

The guy in this videos has developed an incredible functional strength, a top athlete and a true master of the trade.

See Youtube: "*HANNIBAL FOR KING*THE WAIT IS OVER*PART 1-4"

/Peter

Thanks Peter. I have just tried some of the excercies and they are simple yet powerful. The negative thing with calestenics seem to be the level of discipline needed because the sets CAN be done right at home or right there in the office. On the other hand having developed that discipline I can do an excercise any time for three minutes and have a desired effect, without going somewhere in town for practise, if you catch my drift.

Originally Posted by PeterRauke View Post
    I think calisthenics is all about developing functional strength. It develops both muscular and cardiovascular fitness and you can do it without training equipment.

In the first video there are examples of some simple exercises that still is a tuff program to do on a regular basis. It is fast and effective training.

See Youtube: "300 Spartan Workout Routine To Help You Get Six Pack Abs"

The guy in this videos has developed an incredible functional strength, a top athlete and a true master of the trade.

/Peter

More questions:

1. Does calisthenics come from spartan training? How do we know that? Are there wall paintings from Greece?

2. These well trained calisthenics guys in the Youtube videos, did they develop these bodies only by calisthenics or did they all do regular bodybuilding with weights before?

Johan38888 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Answer to Stig Björne

Your question #2. From what I know its fully possible to develop that kind of body ONLY using calesthenics. I practised for a month and have good results. Its too eraly to say in my case. I need more time.

Originally Posted by StigBjorne View Post
    2. These well trained calisthenics guys in the Youtube videos, did they develop these bodies only by calisthenics or did they all do regular bodybuilding with weights before?
    Last edited by Johan38888; 12-21-2011 at 06:58 AM.

PeterRauke, post #2, whats your thoughts Peter about needed time to get to that kind of body? Is 6 months too short? (If he practised every day for 20 effective minutes....)

/Peter

Good to hear. But I do suspect these guys trained regular bodybuidling and then got tired of it, found calesthenics and continued with that. I guess I have to do it myself to find if you are right. Any practises you can recommend?

Originally Posted by Johan38888 View Post
    Your question #2. From what I know its fully possible to develop that kind of body ONLY using calesthenics. I practised for a month and have good results. Its too eraly to say in my case. I need more time.

Crazy as a **** house rat YoBigFatMomma's Avatar
    YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I did callisthenics exclusively for a year. It was the least productive year of my training career. For some reason, I just did not progress on things like handstand push ups and planches, despite being consistent and dedicated with my efforts.

Callisthenics also turns you into captain upper body. I could do 5+ pistols while barely squatting my bodyweight.
    385/245/485 @ 210

┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ
    <|>
    ┌8====D
    ⌡ \

Thanks for your reply. But what does this sentence mean?

"I could do 5+ pistols while barely squatting my bodyweight."

I am not an English speaking native. What is pistols etc?

Originally Posted by YoBigFatMomma View Post
    I did callisthenics exclusively for a year. It was the least productive year of my training career. For some reason, I just did not progress on things like handstand push ups and planches, despite being consistent and dedicated with my efforts.

Callisthenics also turns you into captain upper body. I could do 5+ pistols while barely squatting my bodyweight.

womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Most of these people are former gymnasts with like 15 years of near daily training in their history.
    Bender, part of being human is having self-control. -Amy Wong

Fat loss per month =
    Obese : 6-8%
    Moderately overweight: 4-6%
    Average: 2-4%
    Lean 1-2%
    Very lean .5-1%

^via female sticky on realistic goals

But hey all I need is ONE case of somebody starting off like a semifat middle age man doing calesthenics and after one year of traning three times a week ended up like someone in the cast of the movie 300. Is that possible? One case please.

Originally Posted by womanoid View Post
    Most of these people are former gymnasts with like 15 years of near daily training in their history.

Practises? Sure. Situps, pullups, bellybacks, pushups, squatting etc, the usual boring-fun-simple stuff.

Good to hear. But I do suspect these guys trained regular bodybuidling and then got tired of it, found calesthenics and continued with that. I guess I have to do it myself to find if you are right. Any practises you can recommend?

calisthenics workout Latvia part one

Some Latvian guys practise calisthenics home in the suburb. Simple and yet effective.

youtube.com/watch?v=6vW07ut0cKU

rogermorris590 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    According to Wikipedia: "The history of calisthenics is linked to Greco-Roman gymnastics. Calisthenics originated in ancient Greece, where it was mentioned in a Persian scout report on Spartan warriors before the Battle of Thermopylae, with the Persians interpreting the odd synchronized movements as a form of dance, and thus a sign of weakness...."

That should settle it.

More questions:
    1. Does calisthenics come from spartan training? How do we know that? Are there wall paintings from Greece?

Thanks. I wonder if the guys in the movie 300 did this. And I guess the real guys in the ancient time used calisthenics.

We can be sure the real dudes didn't have any bulk supplements ie super proteine - testosterone extras in those old days.

Originally Posted by rogermorris590 View Post
    According to Wikipedia: "The history of calisthenics is linked to Greco-Roman gymnastics. Calisthenics originated in ancient Greece, where it was mentioned in a Persian scout report on Spartan warriors before the Battle of Thermopylae, with the Persians interpreting the odd synchronized movements as a form of dance, and thus a sign of weakness...."

That should settle it.

Hey I really like the super simple instructions:

1. Do the excercises in any order you like

2. Do every exercise 30 reps.

3. Complete a total of 300 reps combined

There we have the 10 minutes per day thing I was looking for. Or is it 15 minutes? I have to report back. I must start this exercise now and walk the talk.

See Youtube: "300 Spartan Workout Routine To Help You Get Six Pack Abs" /Peter

Thanks. I wonder if the guys in the movie 300 did this. And I guess the real guys in the ancient time used calisthenics.
    Sure. Look here: "300 Gerard Butler and behind scenes training" (search on YouTube)

"Before the movie 300 came out the actors who played the Spartan 300 had to get into warrior shape. To do this they trained at an old school style gym called "Gym Jones". Gym Jones is renowned for it's unconventional, brutal training circuits. After the movie many people wanted to workout in these kind of places but places like this aren't available to many people. Until now. Here I [airbornlegend] show selected clips from the 300 training video featured on the dvd and show how you can do them on your own outdoors."

We can be sure the real dudes didn't have any bulk supplements ie super proteine - testosterone extras in those old days.
    Well they probably ate chicken, raw eggs, olives and bread. And a glass of wine maybe...

Originally Posted by Johan38888 View Post
    Well they probably ate chicken, raw eggs, olives and bread. And a glass of wine maybe...
    I was recently interviewed about me testing the combination of calistenics, gym, LCHF etc. I am not really hard core in any of those but i noticed one thing, I am growing into calistenics in the gym. Some of those body-weight excercises are excellent training.
    Interested in health, training, foods.... www.stigbjorne.nu