AndresOend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Muscle imbalances?

Hi,
    I started working out a very short time ago, and part of the reason I'm doing it is to get rid of muscle balances. I think that's what you call them at least, when muscles have different lengths, or strengths (not sure). Visible mostly on the torso and left arm.
    The most severe is in my back, the kyphotic and lordotic angles appear much greater than they should be, forward neck, stooped/forward shoulders etc. It's not because of the bone, I am quite certain. I hear that some exercises can remedy this, I've heard of the Schroth method, but haven't found specifics. Anyone have any experience with these issues?
    I'm wondering if strengthening the muscle is sufficient or if some kind of stretching is required?

grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Scroth is very good.. Yoga and pilates can both help but there are some moves that need to be avoided..

http://www.schrothmethod.com/index.p...scoliosis-menu

http://www.schrothmethod.com/about

Weightlifting in general can help with muscle imbalances but really you need to see therapist to determine which ones would be best.

My son has mild scoliosis and he's on madcows 5x5 beginner program right now..

Originally Posted by grace_ou View Post
    Scroth is very good.. Yoga and pilates can both help but there are some moves that need to be avoided..

Weightlifting in general can help with muscle imbalances but really you need to see therapist to determine which ones would be best.

My son has mild scoliosis and he's on madcows 5x5 beginner program right now..
    I don't have access to any sort of therapist, there are none here, so I have to do this on my own. Neither the english nor the german Schroth website list all, or even a fair proportion of the exercises, unfortunately. I also don't have access to a gymnasium. All I have are some weights, up to 50-60lbs per hand or so, and my father's weight machine that I go on on the weekends mostly. I might get a bar and some weights quite soon so that I can do heavier lifts, and compound lifts. From what I can tell, the deadlift may help due to it targeting many of the relevant muscles, if lifting does get rid of muscle imbalances.

I'm not sure how bad my scoliosis is, I can't quantify it very well, so I don't know if there is some medical indication that I have to see a therapist, or if some exercise would resolve the issue. I will try to do it on my own. How is your son doing with his program? What type of scoliosis does he have?

grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by AndresOend View Post
    I don't have access to any sort of therapist, there are none here, so I have to do this on my own. Neither the english nor the german Schroth website list all, or even a fair proportion of the exercises, unfortunately. I also don't have access to a gymnasium. All I have are some weights, up to 50-60lbs per hand or so, and my father's weight machine that I go on on the weekends mostly. I might get a bar and some weights quite soon so that I can do heavier lifts, and compound lifts. From what I can tell, the deadlift may help due to it targeting many of the relevant muscles, if lifting does get rid of muscle imbalances.

I'm not sure how bad my scoliosis is, I can't quantify it very well, so I don't know if there is some medical indication that I have to see a therapist, or if some exercise would resolve the issue. I will try to do it on my own. How is your son doing with his program? What type of scoliosis does he have?
    My son has Neuromuscular scoliosis and it's very mild but if he stands up straight you can see where one shoulder blade sits lower then the other side, the curve in his spine is very slight. He does stretching exercises and yoga which help a great deal on their on. But he also does lifting. He's 16 right now and he's been in therapy services for almost his entire life but was born with other health problems . He doesn't need a special lifting program right now he just follows a 5x5 program.

I can't really say weather you would need anything special or not.. some people lift with no issues at all and others struggle it depends on the severity of it. There are some basic exercises that you can on your own with just db's that would get you started, my son started with dumb bells and then moved up to the barbell. Alos his therapist would keep reps to the amount he could do on the weakest side. So as to catch up the strength on the weaker side.. while always working both sides.

http://www.iscoliosis.com/articles-exercise.html

Originally Posted by grace_ou View Post
    My son has Neuromuscular scoliosis and it's very mild but if he stands up straight you can see where one shoulder blade sits lower then the other side, the curve in his spine is very slight. He does stretching exercises and yoga which help a great deal on their on. But he also does lifting. He's 16 right now and he's been in therapy services for almost his entire life but was born with other health problems . He doesn't need a special lifting program right now he just follows a 5x5 program.

I can't really say weather you would need anything special or not.. some people lift with no issues at all and others struggle it depends on the severity of it. There are some basic exercises that you can on your own with just db's that would get you started, my son started with dumb bells and then moved up to the barbell. Alos his therapist would keep reps to the amount he could do on the weakest side. So as to catch up the strength on the weaker side.. while always working both sides.

Mine is idiopathic, I believe. I have no other muscular symptoms that I couldn't explain by my lack of exercise all of my life. my parents also describe me as having been very athletic as a young child, until a few years into school, when my scoliosis started to developed. My shoulders also have different heights, I believe the left shoulder sits maybe 1.5-2 inches higher than the right one. They are also pulled toward the chest. I also have kyphosis and lordosis, but I don't know the degrees or anything, although they may be fairly high.

I have seen some info on which muscles may cause these symptoms, but haven't really been able to see how I can change it with exercise, hence the question. Not always sure if I have to balance the strength, or the length of a muscle, or how to do it. I'll save the link you gave me and I'll try to implement these exercises. Thanks.

Kathwild is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up Therapies

Originally Posted by AndresOend View Post

I'm not sure how bad my s****osis is, I can't quantify it very well, so I don't know if there is some medical indication that I have to see a therapist, or if some exercise would resolve the issue. I will try to do it on my own. How is your son doing with his program? What type of s****osis does he have?
    I have the same issues and found that S****osis Care Centers have been really good. They are helpful and seemed to know who I should go to if it was outside of their scope. I am very satisfied with them. And I am back to lifting, thank goodness.