Reply
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Registered User AndresOend's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2011
    Age: 31
    Posts: 3
    Rep Power: 0
    AndresOend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    AndresOend is offline

    Muscle imbalances?

    Hi,
    I started working out a very short time ago, and part of the reason I'm doing it is to get rid of muscle balances. I think that's what you call them at least, when muscles have different lengths, or strengths (not sure). Visible mostly on the torso and left arm.
    The most severe is in my back, the kyphotic and lordotic angles appear much greater than they should be, forward neck, stooped/forward shoulders etc. It's not because of the bone, I am quite certain. I hear that some exercises can remedy this, I've heard of the Schroth method, but haven't found specifics. Anyone have any experience with these issues?
    I'm wondering if strengthening the muscle is sufficient or if some kind of stretching is required?
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Riding for Redemption grace_ou's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2008
    Location: United States
    Posts: 15,464
    Rep Power: 0
    grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    grace_ou is offline
    Scroth is very good.. Yoga and pilates can both help but there are some moves that need to be avoided..

    http://www.schrothmethod.com/index.p...scoliosis-menu

    http://www.schrothmethod.com/about

    Weightlifting in general can help with muscle imbalances but really you need to see therapist to determine which ones would be best.

    My son has mild scoliosis and he's on madcows 5x5 beginner program right now..
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User AndresOend's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2011
    Age: 31
    Posts: 3
    Rep Power: 0
    AndresOend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    AndresOend is offline
    Originally Posted by grace_ou View Post
    Scroth is very good.. Yoga and pilates can both help but there are some moves that need to be avoided..

    Weightlifting in general can help with muscle imbalances but really you need to see therapist to determine which ones would be best.

    My son has mild scoliosis and he's on madcows 5x5 beginner program right now..
    I don't have access to any sort of therapist, there are none here, so I have to do this on my own. Neither the english nor the german Schroth website list all, or even a fair proportion of the exercises, unfortunately. I also don't have access to a gymnasium. All I have are some weights, up to 50-60lbs per hand or so, and my father's weight machine that I go on on the weekends mostly. I might get a bar and some weights quite soon so that I can do heavier lifts, and compound lifts. From what I can tell, the deadlift may help due to it targeting many of the relevant muscles, if lifting does get rid of muscle imbalances.

    I'm not sure how bad my scoliosis is, I can't quantify it very well, so I don't know if there is some medical indication that I have to see a therapist, or if some exercise would resolve the issue. I will try to do it on my own. How is your son doing with his program? What type of scoliosis does he have?
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Riding for Redemption grace_ou's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2008
    Location: United States
    Posts: 15,464
    Rep Power: 0
    grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    grace_ou is offline
    Originally Posted by AndresOend View Post
    I don't have access to any sort of therapist, there are none here, so I have to do this on my own. Neither the english nor the german Schroth website list all, or even a fair proportion of the exercises, unfortunately. I also don't have access to a gymnasium. All I have are some weights, up to 50-60lbs per hand or so, and my father's weight machine that I go on on the weekends mostly. I might get a bar and some weights quite soon so that I can do heavier lifts, and compound lifts. From what I can tell, the deadlift may help due to it targeting many of the relevant muscles, if lifting does get rid of muscle imbalances.

    I'm not sure how bad my scoliosis is, I can't quantify it very well, so I don't know if there is some medical indication that I have to see a therapist, or if some exercise would resolve the issue. I will try to do it on my own. How is your son doing with his program? What type of scoliosis does he have?
    My son has Neuromuscular scoliosis and it's very mild but if he stands up straight you can see where one shoulder blade sits lower then the other side, the curve in his spine is very slight. He does stretching exercises and yoga which help a great deal on their on. But he also does lifting. He's 16 right now and he's been in therapy services for almost his entire life but was born with other health problems . He doesn't need a special lifting program right now he just follows a 5x5 program.

    I can't really say weather you would need anything special or not.. some people lift with no issues at all and others struggle it depends on the severity of it. There are some basic exercises that you can on your own with just db's that would get you started, my son started with dumb bells and then moved up to the barbell. Alos his therapist would keep reps to the amount he could do on the weakest side. So as to catch up the strength on the weaker side.. while always working both sides.

    http://www.iscoliosis.com/articles-exercise.html
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User AndresOend's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2011
    Age: 31
    Posts: 3
    Rep Power: 0
    AndresOend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    AndresOend is offline
    Originally Posted by grace_ou View Post
    My son has Neuromuscular scoliosis and it's very mild but if he stands up straight you can see where one shoulder blade sits lower then the other side, the curve in his spine is very slight. He does stretching exercises and yoga which help a great deal on their on. But he also does lifting. He's 16 right now and he's been in therapy services for almost his entire life but was born with other health problems . He doesn't need a special lifting program right now he just follows a 5x5 program.

    I can't really say weather you would need anything special or not.. some people lift with no issues at all and others struggle it depends on the severity of it. There are some basic exercises that you can on your own with just db's that would get you started, my son started with dumb bells and then moved up to the barbell. Alos his therapist would keep reps to the amount he could do on the weakest side. So as to catch up the strength on the weaker side.. while always working both sides.

    Mine is idiopathic, I believe. I have no other muscular symptoms that I couldn't explain by my lack of exercise all of my life. my parents also describe me as having been very athletic as a young child, until a few years into school, when my scoliosis started to developed. My shoulders also have different heights, I believe the left shoulder sits maybe 1.5-2 inches higher than the right one. They are also pulled toward the chest. I also have kyphosis and lordosis, but I don't know the degrees or anything, although they may be fairly high.

    I have seen some info on which muscles may cause these symptoms, but haven't really been able to see how I can change it with exercise, hence the question. Not always sure if I have to balance the strength, or the length of a muscle, or how to do it. I'll save the link you gave me and I'll try to implement these exercises. Thanks.
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User Kathwild's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2018
    Age: 50
    Posts: 1
    Rep Power: 0
    Kathwild is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Kathwild is offline

    Thumbs up Therapies

    Originally Posted by AndresOend View Post
    I don't have access to any sort of therapist, there are none here, so I have to do this on my own. Neither the english nor the german Schroth website list all, or even a fair proportion of the exercises, unfortunately. I also don't have access to a gymnasium. All I have are some weights, up to 50-60lbs per hand or so, and my father's weight machine that I go on on the weekends mostly. I might get a bar and some weights quite soon so that I can do heavier lifts, and compound lifts. From what I can tell, the deadlift may help due to it targeting many of the relevant muscles, if lifting does get rid of muscle imbalances.

    I'm not sure how bad my s****osis is, I can't quantify it very well, so I don't know if there is some medical indication that I have to see a therapist, or if some exercise would resolve the issue. I will try to do it on my own. How is your son doing with his program? What type of s****osis does he have?
    I have the same issues and found that S****osis Care Centers have been really good. They are helpful and seemed to know who I should go to if it was outside of their scope. I am very satisfied with them. And I am back to lifting, thank goodness.
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User stevejames012's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 18
    Rep Power: 0
    stevejames012 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) stevejames012 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) stevejames012 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) stevejames012 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) stevejames012 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) stevejames012 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) stevejames012 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) stevejames012 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) stevejames012 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) stevejames012 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) stevejames012 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    stevejames012 is offline
    It would be better to take suggestion from GYM expert
    Reply With Quote

Similar Threads

  1. A mess of muscle imbalances-a plea for help
    By Subtitles in forum Exercises
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-06-2011, 08:25 PM
  2. Does BodyBuilding not create muscle imbalances?
    By hughesa1 in forum Workout Programs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-25-2010, 11:40 AM
  3. Muscle imbalances/Joint probs??? (SRS)
    By nick1990 in forum Misc.
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2009, 11:47 AM
  4. don't want to get muscle imbalances
    By PatrickMick in forum Workout Programs
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-22-2009, 01:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts