Speizach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pre-workout and post-workout carbs...Suggestions/help?

I've been scouring books, magazine articles and the web for good carbs to eat pre and post workout. So far on what I've read has been all over the board. Eat 2-3 hours before your workout with slow digesting carbs...Eat 30-45 minutes before your workout with fast digesting carbs. Some of the things i've read suggest both!? I'm lost and confused on how to attack this. I work 40+ hours a week so I have to prepare all my meals at night for the next day, and I would like to be able to have the proper types and proportions of food ready for my day.

In short, the questions I most hope to get answered are:
    1) - What are they best types of carbs to eat pre/post workout?
    2) - How long before a work out should one eat?
    3) - What kind of proportions am I looking at pre/post workout for carbs and protein?

And if someone can help point me towards something to more clearly explains the Glycemic Index so I can have a firmer grasp on it and a better understanding of what I'm looking for when adding or subtracting foods from my diet.

Thanks!

Rocco.
    Rocco - It all comes down to discipline and dedication .

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    1) Any CHO or no CHO. It's a matter of personal preference.
    2) Generally speaking, within 24 hours, based on personal preference.
    3) Whatever you prefer, as it's total daily intake that matters most and the rest is basically a matter of personal preference.

Regarding GI, it's functionally irrelevant unless you have certain diseases.

I'm known by other names IamJonsCranium's Avatar
    IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    1) Any CHO or no CHO. It's a matter of personal preference.
    2) Generally speaking, within 24 hours, based on personal preference.
    3) Whatever you prefer, as it's total daily intake that matters most and the rest is basically a matter of personal preference.

Regarding GI, it's functionally irrelevant unless you have certain diseases.
    Does it make a difference whether he's cutting or bulking?
    IamJons Awesome workout log:
    ▬ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=659599573#post659599573

Author of "The Loser Mentality"
    ▬ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=699707851#postcount%20=21

"The Predators Are Feeding (And You're What They're Eating)"
    ▬ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=710146201&postcount=184

IamJon's Sermon at the Breakfast Table:
    ▬ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=713520011&postcount=12

♂ Eat Like a Man ♂

vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) vitornoob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by IamJonsCranium View Post
    Does it make a difference whether he's cutting or bulking?
    not, just to add, what you eat PWO almost does not have any influence, because it will be still being digested, so what really counts is the previous day's nutrition
    *Hollywood's rabid cage crew*

Bulking log -> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145653801

Ego Enhancement Advisor sladerwilson's Avatar
    sladerwilson is on a distinguished road. (+10) sladerwilson is on a distinguished road. (+10) sladerwilson is on a distinguished road. (+10) sladerwilson is on a distinguished road. (+10) sladerwilson is on a distinguished road. (+10) sladerwilson is on a distinguished road. (+10) sladerwilson is on a distinguished road. (+10) sladerwilson is on a distinguished road. (+10) sladerwilson is on a distinguished road. (+10) sladerwilson is on a distinguished road. (+10) sladerwilson is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by vitornoob View Post
    not, just to add, what you eat PWO almost does not have any influence, because it will be still being digested, so what really counts is the previous day's nutrition

NOW HAS A LOG!!!! peanut-butter's Avatar
    peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What Pug said.

Originally Posted by sladerwilson View Post
    Please tell me why 'facepalm'
    "Whoa, peanut-butter does look a lot like Cum." - Alan Aragon

IIFYMM- If it fits Your Macros and Micros.

5k+ Link (Please PM me if I forget)

*Unaesthetic Crew* Disregard V-Taper, Acquire PRs

dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by peanut-butter View Post
    What Pug said.

Please tell me why 'facepalm'
    He works at his local walmart and buys their body fortress whey protein; and the back of the container says differently.
    see my penis log here:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147914253&p=944065703#post944065703

Bangs girls, kisses guys crew
    Nicholson Nods Crew

NOW HAS A LOG!!!! peanut-butter's Avatar
    peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by dukend View Post
    He works at his local walmart and buys their body fortress whey protein; and the back of the container says differently.
    I haven't been around here much, lately. Is he one of the new *******s that we all pick on?
    "Whoa, peanut-butter does look a lot like Cum." - Alan Aragon

IIFYMM- If it fits Your Macros and Micros.

5k+ Link (Please PM me if I forget)

*Unaesthetic Crew* Disregard V-Taper, Acquire PRs

dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by peanut-butter View Post
    I haven't been around here much, lately. Is he one of the new *******s that we all pick on?
    I don't know. I'm in nutmisc 99% of the time. Hug.
    see my penis log here:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147914253&p=944065703#post944065703

Bangs girls, kisses guys crew
    Nicholson Nods Crew