coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

225 bench press test warm-up

Anyone have a warm-up routine for 225 bench press test? I am looking for something that has proven results, not something that you have come up with on your own. I am going to be testing for a local arena team soon. I have heard that there are warm-up routines that can add additional reps to your numbers. I have sent an email to Joe DeFranco but thought I would check here as well.

lancebriggs55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lancebriggs55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lancebriggs55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lancebriggs55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lancebriggs55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lancebriggs55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lancebriggs55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lancebriggs55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lancebriggs55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lancebriggs55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    in order to complete more reps on any lift, you must build more muscular strength and endurance, their really isn't a way around that. Technique and warm ups can only do so much.

Train the crap outta your triceps, delts and back and you will have a better bench.

The more you row, the more you military press and the more weight you can dip, close grip bench or pushdown, the stronger your bench will be.

coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the advice but I know and understand all of those things already. I also know that warming up properly can make a difference. Good example of this would be my bench workout on Monday. I am currently using a conjugate periodization workout similar to the one recommended by Dave Tate. It was a Max Effort day. I slowly progressed to a final set of 1 rep at 295. To add something a little different, I immediately dropped weight to 225 and hit 10 unassisted reps. It was a great set and the weight felt lighter than normal and I had absolutely no stiffness in my joints.

BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I dont think there is a "set" warm up plan, like youre lookin for. A propper warm up is very important as well is stretching but these wont help you rep more. I would have to lean more towards diet really, that will help you grow stronger and have better endurance. I am not sure if i helped or not but if i understand the question correctly, there is no warm up routine to increase reps, only diet and training will do that.

O.K...so here is a q&a posting from DeFranco's website. He obviously is a well respected and knowledgeable trainer.

Q: Joe,
    I’m leaving for college on Tuesday and will be tested in the 225 lb. bench press test on Wednesday. We have to bench 225 lbs. as many times as we can. I was wondering if I should do any kind of a warm-up before the test or should I save my energy and just get right into it? (My max bench is 385 lbs.)

Jim

A: Jim,
    Great question. Most kids don’t even think about the warm-up in this test. I feel the warm-up is, without question, the most overlooked component of this test.
    Your question is very timely as well. I just finished a “mini-study” of my own that even surprised me with regards to how much a proper warm-up can help you with this test.

This past July, I tested 27 different football players in this test. The players ranged from high school to the NFL. (College players from division I, I-AA, II & III were all represented.) Their 1-rep max in the bench press ranged from 260 lbs. to 465lbs.

The first time I tested them, I had them all warm-up on their own before performing the test. 7 days after their original test, they took the test again. The second time they performed the test they had to perform the warm-up I designed. Although I was confident that this warm-up would get everyone at least another rep on their test, I was surprised by the results. The average increase of all 27 athletes was 2.4 reps. The least amount of reps anyone added to their test was 1 rep. The biggest improvement was 5 reps! NO ONE did worse and NO ONE did the same. After seeing these results I tried the warm-up myself. I went from 28 reps with my old warm-up to 30 reps with my new warm-up. That was the first time I benched 225 lbs. for 30 reps in my life! Hopefully this helps you to realize how powerful the proper warm-up can be.

You’re now probably wondering what was the warm-up. Unfortunately, I don’t want to make this warm-up public just yet. To be quite honest, I want my clients to have the edge over everyone else when they go to camp and perform this test. I’m also finishing up a very exciting project that has this information in it. Keep checking this site for more info.
    (Jim, I will email you personally with the specific warm-up since you asked the question.)

Joe D.

I understand that I am not going to all of sudden develop some mystery strength and bang out extra reps but I do know that getting the CNS firing can have an impact on certain lifts and I also know that if I were to just hop on a bench and rep 225, I would not get the reps that I would with a proper warm-up. I am not saying to go try this to prove my point but I am sure there are others out there that can vouch for this.

BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    so he is saying that i can increase my reps by 1 or 2 by doing his warm up? Sounds more like a workout routine than a warmup. I cant honestly tell you, i havent trained this way myself. I do my warmups and stretches but my focus is increasing the weight not the reps. Sounds like a good warm up routine though, i mean if it works go for it.

Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000)
    im guessing your not 37 years old, but anyways good luck and hopefully you make the team
    .:Ace50 Crew:.
    ++ Positive Crew ++

Oh...but I am 37. I work my ass off in the weightroom and train 2-3 days a week at Velocity where we work on my speed and agility. The arena team that I am looking to tryout for is a lower level arena team. Chances are good that I will make the team but there is also a chance that I will not accept the offer. The league is not very stable. I am more excited about seeing what my numbers are right now (40, Pro shuttle, L Drill, Vert, and 225). I will more than likely play semi-pro and probably make it my last year. I definitely have to train harder than the young bucs but it always fun to see their jaw drop when I tell them how old I am.

Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by coachld View Post
    Oh...but I am 37. I work my ass off in the weightroom and train 2-3 days a week at Velocity where we work on my speed and agility. The arena team that I am looking to tryout for is a lower level arena team. Chances are good that I will make the team but there is also a chance that I will not accept the offer. The league is not very stable. I am more excited about seeing what my numbers are right now (40, Pro shuttle, L Drill, Vert, and 225). I will more than likely play semi-pro and probably make it my last year. I definitely have to train harder than the young bucs but it always fun to see their jaw drop when I tell them how old I am.
    I would maybe do some heavy stuff during the warm up (e.g do your 2 RM or 3RM) or maybe earlier on in the day (I believe this is called tonnization).

Hopefully this would 'wake up' your nervous system and help your body get ready to recruit as many motor units as possible.

I would try it in a workout first though, I'm not sure if you would develop enough fatigue during the lift to hinder you later on.

Originally Posted by coachld View Post
    Oh...but I am 37. I definitely have to train harder than the young bucs but it always fun to see their jaw drop when I tell them how old I am.
    I know what ya mean my friend! lol I am getting stronger and my body looks allot better now than even 20 years ago. AGE does bring a few good things with it!

Good advice Robb. I actually went to one of the indoor tryouts today and talked with one of the guys there...he recommended something very similar...warmup with 135 to get loose...then set of 3 @ 225...then 1 rep of 275. Finished all of this approximately 4 minutes before I was up (another of his recommendations). Did 225 x 12 which was a PR for me. Not the most impressive number but I have come a long way. Received a contract offer but am holding out for another team that has a better coaching staff.