ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100)

Push ups for combat sports

I was wondering on a routine of workout of a fighter, im not seeing for example , the point of push ups for combat sports, does fighters like boxers and MMA fighters, kick boxers , etc , do they push ups in their professional career , i searched one of this cases the so famous mike tyson workout, im thinking this can be BS, i mean why the hell would one of the most best fighters in the world would expose his full routine just like that , very odd.
    Anyways back to the topic , what do push ups do for me in terms of combat sports, if you going to say endurance , what type of endurance ?
    I know that push ups dont increase push power, so for that to get dense muscle i would rather lift light weights with high reps

Should i excluse push ups, do i really need them afterall?

grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I know several pro fighters and they all do push ups. So yeah I think by not doing them you would be ignoring a useful training move.. doubt it will make or break you though.

There are alot of different versions of push ups all with varying advantages, I would certainly not disregardful them. They can build endurance, stability, power.

Medicine ball push ups, depth push ups, 90 degree, ply push ups, weighted push ups ect..

ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by grace_ou View Post
    I know several pro fighters and they all do push ups. So yeah I think by not doing them you would be ignoring a useful training move.. doubt it will make or break you though.

There are alot of different versions of push ups all with varying advantages, I would certainly not disregardful them. They can build endurance, stability, power.

Medicine ball push ups, depth push ups, 90 degree, ply push ups, weighted push ups ect..
    i think it has been stated somewhere that striking power comes from techinque + heavy bag .
    I heard also people say, " hey man screw push ups, you can cut them off, and do like compound exercises,curls,pullups and stuff like that , because you gonna gain some serious mass " , i mean is this true? if i get mass i get stronger?

Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ZeroWeiss View Post
    i think it has been stated somewhere that striking power comes from techinque + heavy bag .
    Striking power is 90% Technique (if not more). Learning to instinctively maximize energy transfer from your fist to the target through kinetic linking. This is best learned on the heavy bag. Watch this video to see where the power comes from. Explaination starts at about 1:10. http://www.break.com/index/anatomy-o...knock-out.html

compound exercises,curls,pullups and stuff like that , because you gonna gain some serious mass " , i mean is this true? if i get mass i get stronger?
    More mass, more strength = true (but curls are not compound excercises). But for punching power, Technique > Speed > Strength. In that order.

To the original question, pushups are good for combat sports training, more for muscular endurance than power, though they help both to a degree and plyometric pushups help explosive power even more. Endurance, both cardio vascular and muscular are much more important in boxing than strength. With that said, I've never had any of my boxing coaches, including one that was an olympic coach, have me do any pushups other than as part of a warmup.

grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ZeroWeiss View Post
    I heard also people say, " hey man screw push ups, you can cut them off, and do like compound exercises,curls,pullups and stuff like that , because you gonna gain some serious mass " , i mean is this true? if i get mass i get stronger?

Combat sports are so much more then just striking power and it's more then just mass & strength. You need well rounded conditioning and skills. Agin push ups want make or break a training program but they are an effective exercise with many variations.

Compound lifts are excellent for adding mass and strength but you need more then that to be a good fighter.