Rawthentik is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rawthentik is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rawthentik is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rawthentik is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rawthentik is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rawthentik is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rawthentik is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rawthentik is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rawthentik is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rawthentik is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rawthentik is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Was my gym owner correct? (intek plates being "true weight")

So i just started deadlifting in mid September, at my other gym i could do 335x5, but its closing and I went to a new gym, signed up today and did my first deadlift workout, and i struggled with 315x5.

I was talking to him about it and he said its because Intek plates are "true weight" and that most other plates aren't?
    I haven't missed a workout either so it's not like i lost strength

This is what they look like

- INTJ Crew -
    - Misc Poker Crew -
    - Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast Crew -

EYECUT is on a distinguished road. (+10) EYECUT is on a distinguished road. (+10) EYECUT is on a distinguished road. (+10) EYECUT is on a distinguished road. (+10) EYECUT is on a distinguished road. (+10) EYECUT is on a distinguished road. (+10) EYECUT is on a distinguished road. (+10) EYECUT is on a distinguished road. (+10) EYECUT is on a distinguished road. (+10) EYECUT is on a distinguished road. (+10) EYECUT is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    OP... a lot of 45's do vary. You'd think companies that make plates would keep it actual weight, but little research goes into actually making it exactly 45. I've had plates as light as 41lb and as heavy as 48. It depends on the brand, but pretty stupid that they aren't true weight

not actually a goose goosefrabbas's Avatar
    goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The gym close to my house has those plates. They're annoying.

I can think of two things that could've happened.
    1) You had an off day.
    2) You used a different type of bar.

I don't think the weights are off by that much, but they'll almost always be off by a bit - possibly a few pounds - unless they're kilo plates that are a few thousand dollars for a set that commercial gyms would never invest in.

If you're really concerned you could always just weigh the plates if your gym has a scale.
    Last edited by goosefrabbas; 11-26-2011 at 05:27 PM.
    Meet: 440/248/485 = 1173@144 sp

My powerlifting log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135067661&page=39

Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think 45s can be up to +-5 lbs.
    I don't care.

Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Some gyms have heavy plates. We have 45s that are basically 50s considering the amount I do in competition compared to the gym. And it isn't a mental thing as I get a psyched in gym as comp (srs)

SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    more than likely it was a stiffer bar than the one you were used to
    ***Georgia Crew***

Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Incensed will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SPFjudge View Post
    more than likely it was a stiffer bar than the one you were used to
    yeah could also be this

pryme is a name known to all. (+5000) pryme is a name known to all. (+5000) pryme is a name known to all. (+5000) pryme is a name known to all. (+5000) pryme is a name known to all. (+5000) pryme is a name known to all. (+5000) pryme is a name known to all. (+5000) pryme is a name known to all. (+5000) pryme is a name known to all. (+5000) pryme is a name known to all. (+5000) pryme is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I would also say off day. 20lbs over 5 reps is not really that much. The bar can make a difference also, as mentioned. I used to lift at a serious gym, which closed down, that weighed all the plates and it was painted on each plate. They only were off plus or minus 1lb or a tad more. I.e. 1.2lbs.

WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    while 45s definitely vary in weight, the majority seem to be actually heavier than 45lbs, at least all the ones that I have weighed before.
    Bryan

Captain of the Comeback Train

Comeback Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159651791

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/STRONGMANbarry/videos

SquinkysGhost is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SquinkysGhost is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SquinkysGhost is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SquinkysGhost is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SquinkysGhost is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SquinkysGhost is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SquinkysGhost is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SquinkysGhost is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SquinkysGhost is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SquinkysGhost is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SquinkysGhost is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I refuse to lift with weights that are not calibrated. Imagine making a personal record and not having a single ****ing idea what the bar really weighs. Oh yeah that's most of the lifters out there...

Caperjay will become famous soon enough. (+50) Caperjay will become famous soon enough. (+50) Caperjay will become famous soon enough. (+50) Caperjay will become famous soon enough. (+50) Caperjay will become famous soon enough. (+50) Caperjay will become famous soon enough. (+50) Caperjay will become famous soon enough. (+50) Caperjay will become famous soon enough. (+50) Caperjay will become famous soon enough. (+50) Caperjay will become famous soon enough. (+50) Caperjay will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It could be many things, which already been mentioned. But what ive noticed that if the plates thicker and smaller in diameter the bar will be closer to the floor, which increases the range of motion. Something to consider, when comparing plates from varoius makers.
    Squat 650 , bench 405 , deadlit 665

GettinFatstrong is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GettinFatstrong is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GettinFatstrong is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GettinFatstrong is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GettinFatstrong is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GettinFatstrong is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GettinFatstrong is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GettinFatstrong is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GettinFatstrong is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GettinFatstrong is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GettinFatstrong is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Caperjay View Post
    It could be many things, which already been mentioned. But what ive noticed that if the plates thicker and smaller in diameter the bar will be closer to the floor, which increases the range of motion. Something to consider, when comparing plates from varoius makers.
    ^ this. the paltes at my gym are smaller than competition plates. the brand of them is 'jordan' we dont have any 25kg ones which are supposedly competition size. just 20s.