Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz

Exclamation Full Body vs. Split Routines - Which to Choose?

Full Body Routines vs. Splits

The question often arises, especially from beginners, about what type of routine to use. Your buddy told you to use a full body routine, but the muscle mags suggest a 5-day "bodybuilder" split. You don't want to start off on the wrong foot, but there is so much information out there that sorting through what to do can be difficult.

This is some of my opinion on the subject, and maybe it'll help a few people out.

Full Body Routines:

In my opinion, this is the place for a beginner to start. I have many years of lifting experience, and have pretty much always used some form of bodybuilding split routine. However, if I had it to do over again, I would have begun with a good full-body routine, built around the compound lifts, done 3 times per week. When you are a beginner you don't generally have the muscular strength to work intensely enough, or with enough volume, to require as much recovery time as someone who is stronger or more experienced. If you are a young beginner, on top of that, you have very good recovery abilities due to high hormone levels. So, because you are recovered relatively quickly after each workout, you want to stimulate each muscle group more often to induce strength and growth.

Another reason to start with a full body program is that this gives you the opportunity to learn and practice the basic lifts: squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, barbell rows, etc. Whether your goal is bodybuilding, strength athlete, sports, or just remaining fit, these really ought to form the basis of any routine. No matter what path you choose to "branch out" on later, these core lifts will serve you well.

2-Day Split Routines:

So the next question becomes: when should I think about split routines? In very simple terms, the answer is: when full body routines become too much. Usually, as you get stronger, it becomes very difficult to maintain enough energy to do squats, deadlifts, bench press, etc. all on the same day. You may also find that you want to add in a few isolation exercises to bring up your weak areas, or you may want to begin focusing more on each core lift. Another issue is recovery; as you get stronger, you are able to work out more intensely, and that means longer recovery times. So at that point, it makes sense to "split" things up by only doing a part of your previous full routine on any given day.

A logical place to make your first split is into an Upper / Lower type routine. This will have you doing your upper body work like bench press, rows, overhead pressing on 1 day, and your lower body work like squats on another day. Another way to go would be a "push/pull" type split where you do all your pulling exercises (rows, deads) on one day and your pushing exercises (squats, overhead press, bench) on another day. Exactly how you do it is up to you, but the point is to divide the workload per session. This will give you more time (and volume) per body part, and also give you a bit more recovery before you work that muscle again. Most people will typically cycle through a 2-day split like these twice per week. So instead of every muscle being stimulated 3 times per week with the full body, now it's twice per week with the 2-day split.

3+ Day Splits:

3, 4, 5 (or more!) day splits come in when you again feel the need to divide your workload to match your recovery abilities, or increase the amount of work you want to do on specific muscles or lifts. Generally, these type of splits are mostly bodybuilding related, but even strength athletes may chose to split so they can work on speed lifts one day, strength work another, etc.

At this point (speaking to bodybuilding) many lifters will only hit each muscle group once per week. This has the advantage of letting you really hammer a muscle group with a lot of weight and volume, and then give it plenty of time to recover while you're bringing the pain to the next group. Your full body effort is broken down into segments that are manageable from a workload, energy, and recovery standpoint.

If you are an "experienced" (older) lifter with decreased recovery abilities (we all ain't as young as we used to be), this type of split often is useful for staying healthy due to the increased recovery time per body part. The kids might not think it's important, but your tendons might.

There are so many variations of splits that I won't even attempt to detail all the possibilities. If you follow the advice in this post, by the time you need a multiple day split, you'll know your body, your goals, and have a pretty good idea of what you want to do.

Final Thoughts:

I believe it's a logical notion to start with a full body routine, and begin splitting only when you feel the need to increase your recovery or increase your volume. If you stick with the concept that you're trying to hit a muscle as often as you are able while still recovering adequately, and let that be your guide, you'll do okay.

Hopefully, this gives some food for thought to help you decide what type of routine you should use. Ultimately, however, it's worth saying that you can do fine with any well-designed program even if you begin with a split routine right from the beginning.

Repost from my thread in the Exercises Section...it's more applicable here.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

SmallArms717 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SmallArms717 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SmallArms717 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SmallArms717 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SmallArms717 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Agreed.

Exactly what I did and I am 205lbs now up from 130 ( from 2 years ago ! )

Full Body -> upper/lower 3x a week -> body split each muscle 2x a week

: )

Good post

would rep u if I had rep that was worth a ****

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by SmallArms717 View Post
    Agreed.

Exactly what I did and I am 205lbs now up from 130 ( from 2 years ago ! )

Full Body -> upper/lower 3x a week -> body split each muscle 2x a week

: )

Good post

would rep u if I had rep that was worth a ****
    First person to reply now banned.

Lulz. Strong thread start.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Nice.

If people read stickies, we should sticky it. But we all know what happens to sticky threads...

jha1223 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jha1223 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jha1223 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jha1223 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jha1223 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jha1223 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jha1223 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jha1223 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jha1223 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jha1223 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jha1223 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Very nice ... rep to you.

mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000)
    didn't you post this many moons ago? perhaps this will strike a chord and become a sticky. nice writeup!

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post

If you stick with the concept that you're trying to hit a muscle as often as you are able while still recovering adequately, and let that be your guide, you'll do okay.
    Quoted so it doesn't get missed.

Hope I don't get banned for posting in your thread, Vox.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Hope I don't get banned for posting in your thread, Vox.
    No worries, Bill. I'm sure you are virtually un-bannable.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Bumped to page one...............
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Wish I would have read this 18 months ago when I was first starting out. I'd be at least a year ahead of where I am now...
    Now cutting: Got a little more squishy than I wanted, heading down to 160lbs and seeing how things look.

5/24/13 176lbs
    5/31/13 174lbs
    6/06/13 172.5lbs
    6/14/13 172lbs (? :/)
    6/21/13 170.5lbs
    7/06/13 171 lbs (Gasp blew my diet at Dollywood, must give up and become couch potato).

Qui audet adipiscitur
    Bis vivit qui bene vivit

JUGERNAUT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JUGERNAUT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JUGERNAUT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JUGERNAUT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JUGERNAUT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JUGERNAUT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JUGERNAUT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JUGERNAUT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JUGERNAUT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JUGERNAUT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JUGERNAUT is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    great thread
    I always rep back!

** KNEE DRAGGERS UNITE **

Battling POTS day by day...

Originally Posted by Singe03 View Post
    Wish I would have read this 18 months ago when I was first starting out. I'd be at least a year ahead of where I am now...
    I always find it odd that people usually don't have a solid reason for picking one program over another. They will spend more time comparing the latest "UFC" workout vs. the "Warrior Workout" vs. the "Mr. Olympia" workout, without ever considering what fundamental aspects are best suited to their level of development. Some famous guy used it, so it must be perfect for them.

They rarely consider that splits are really more about managing recovery and time in the gym than they are about developing a certain physique.

super_tactical has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) super_tactical has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) super_tactical has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) super_tactical has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) super_tactical has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) super_tactical has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) super_tactical has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) super_tactical has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) super_tactical has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) super_tactical has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) super_tactical has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Maybe combine with a push/pull commentary and get this batch stickied!

CaseyViatorFan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CaseyViatorFan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't care what body type you have. If you do one of the training routines from the pre-steroid era, (30's,40's,early 50's), You're going to get big plain and simple. That's because they new the golden rule. Lift heavy ass weight!

hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Best thread in this forum.

Jaybrahh is a name known to all. (+5000) Jaybrahh is a name known to all. (+5000) Jaybrahh is a name known to all. (+5000) Jaybrahh is a name known to all. (+5000) Jaybrahh is a name known to all. (+5000) Jaybrahh is a name known to all. (+5000) Jaybrahh is a name known to all. (+5000) Jaybrahh is a name known to all. (+5000) Jaybrahh is a name known to all. (+5000) Jaybrahh is a name known to all. (+5000) Jaybrahh is a name known to all. (+5000)
    What everyone else have said, really good and informative thread.
    ☆☆☆MISC BOXING CREW☆☆☆
    ☆☆Scandinavian Misc Crew☆☆

Originally Posted by hammerfelt View Post
    Best thread in this forum.
    Originally Posted by Jaybrahh View Post
    What everyone else have said, really good and informative thread.
    Thanks guys.

Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post
    I always find it odd that people usually don't have a solid reason for picking one program over another. They will spend more time comparing the latest "UFC" workout vs. the "Warrior Workout" vs. the "Mr. Olympia" workout, without ever considering what fundamental aspects are best suited to their level of development. Some famous guy used it, so it must be perfect for them.

They rarely consider that splits are really more about managing recovery and time in the gym than they are about developing a certain physique.
    Actually I talked to a personal trainer right after I got my gym membership and got a "custom program to help me cut fat and gain muscle" but made next to no progress until I got a membership here and started reading and learning to sort through the bro-science to get to the basics.

In May I trashed more than 3/4s of what he had to say, did my best to educate myself, made my own diet plan, focused on compound lifts, dropped 35lbs then started on Starting Strength a couple weeks ago to build my strength up. I've pretty much figured out that the only things helpful about talking to that PT were learning how to adjust the seats on the machines.
    Now cutting: Got a little more squishy than I wanted, heading down to 160lbs and seeing how things look.

5/24/13 176lbs
    5/31/13 174lbs
    6/06/13 172.5lbs
    6/14/13 172lbs (? :/)
    6/21/13 170.5lbs
    7/06/13 171 lbs (Gasp blew my diet at Dollywood, must give up and become couch potato).

Qui audet adipiscitur
    Bis vivit qui bene vivit

Adamspoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adamspoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adamspoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adamspoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adamspoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adamspoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adamspoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adamspoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adamspoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adamspoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adamspoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Definitely a sticky, 90% of the posts from newbs on this forum end up trying to explain this and you've done a better job than most.

bloodriotiori is on a distinguished road. (+10) bloodriotiori is on a distinguished road. (+10) bloodriotiori is on a distinguished road. (+10) bloodriotiori is on a distinguished road. (+10) bloodriotiori is on a distinguished road. (+10) bloodriotiori is on a distinguished road. (+10) bloodriotiori is on a distinguished road. (+10) bloodriotiori is on a distinguished road. (+10) bloodriotiori is on a distinguished road. (+10) bloodriotiori is on a distinguished road. (+10) bloodriotiori is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    definitely wish i had known this when i started. Pushups, bench press, curls, a few row machines, and tricep pushdown machine was my daily workout for many many months when i first started ^_^

Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by bloodriotiori View Post
    definitely wish i had known this when i started. Pushups, bench press, curls, a few row machines, and tricep pushdown machine was my daily workout for many many months when i first started ^_^
    Hey bloodriotiori, work legs. Doesn't matter as much if it's full body or splits.

Not even my final form NZninja101's Avatar
    NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Another fantastic post from Vox; brief and to the point. Hopefully people read this basic but highly important info.
    'People are gonna remember me as a god forever... Like-like-like Troy, like Chiles heel, I'm a god forever I'll be remembered for thousands of years to come' - Jason Genova

Texas Method Mod: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171537443&p=1444534723&viewfull=1#post1444534723

No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Quo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The full body routines ar meant only for the basic lifts learning?Can you grow with them like with a ''bodybuilding split'' if you are a beginner and if your diet and resting are ok?

P0rchmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0rchmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0rchmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0rchmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0rchmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0rchmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0rchmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0rchmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0rchmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0rchmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0rchmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for the info OP, repped

Originally Posted by Quo View Post
    The full body routines ar meant only for the basic lifts learning?
    Not at all. Depending on your goals, a full body routine may be all you ever need. Don't think of the basic lifts as "basic", think of them as "fundamental" - meaning they should always remain the core of your program.

Can you grow with them like with a ''bodybuilding split'' if you are a beginner and if your diet and resting are ok?
    You can use the fundamental lifts however you want. They are the best "bang for the buck" exercises and therefore make sense to keep in pretty much any type of program. Isolation exercises are generally added when you are trying to shore up your program to meet specific goals or improve certain body parts.

Again, splits are not some magic "advancement". They are merely a device for managing workload and vs. your recovery. Begin splitting when you need to add workload or get extra recovery.

Quo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I hope I am not annoying but can something like babylover's SS be a good starting workout for a teen beginner,especially if he is weak?What is your opinion on working/growing on something like that?

Bump for New Year Resolutioners

heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I like this because hardly anyone talks about splits. I suppose thats because most people really are just beginning and aren't ready for body split routine. Otherwise they can be really useful depending on your goals and recovery needs.

Originally Posted by heavyliftset View Post
    I like this because hardly anyone talks about splits.
    Because many people who utilize splits have no real idea why they are doing so. They just picked up a magazine and started with whatever program looked "cool".