Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by MNTiburon View Post
    I guess my question is really, what's the difference between doing a full body every other day and my current regiment of:

Mon/Thu - Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps

Tue/Fri - Back, Chest, Legs

Wed/Sat - Cardio (row machine, bike, running)
    Frequency. But if you like what you're doing, stick with it.

If it were me, though, I wouldn't do all your large muscle groups on the same day (Chest, Back, Legs) if you're going to use a split routine. The whole point of a split in the first place is so that you don't have to do that.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post
    Frequency. But if you like what you're doing, stick with it.

If it were me, though, I wouldn't do all your large muscle groups on the same day (Chest, Back, Legs) if you're going to use a split routine. The whole point of a split in the first place is so that you don't have to do that.

How would you suggest I split up these muscle groups? I'd like to stick with my Mon/Thu, Tue/Fri plan.

Thanks for your critique. Repped!

heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    When I've done splits in the past I had good success with the following:

Chest/Shoulders
    Back
    Legs
    Arms

^^^ Would be done over the course of 4 workouts in a week. Rinse, repeat.

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by MNTiburon View Post
    How would you suggest I split up these muscle groups? I'd like to stick with my Mon/Thu, Tue/Fri plan.

Thanks for your critique. Repped!
    Mon: Upper
    Tue: Lower

Th: Upper
    Fr: Lower

or Substitute "Push" and "Pull" for upper and lower. There are plenty of other variations as well. The point would be to try to even out your workload. No sense doing Squats, Deads, Bench Press and all the heavy lifting on one day and run out of energy half way through, only to do biceps, calves and eyelids the next day.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

Maullus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Maullus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    First and foremost, thanks for this thread and all the others you've posted. The "Beginner's Guide: 6 Basic Compound Lifts" thread pretty much defined the focus of my workouts since I started lifting again.

I'm a bit confused about a couple things, though.

First, I thought the terms "full body routine" and "split routine" were pretty self-explanatory until I read this thread. That is, I thought a "full body routine" was any exercise program where you performed all (more or less) of your exercises on one day. These exercises are primarily compound, and typical full body programs are 3 non-consecutive days a week. A split, I thought, was a program that partitioned exercises into different sets (based on muscle group, upper/lower, or some other criteria), to be performed on different days.

If that's the case, where does SS fall? Squats appear to be the only exercise performed every lifting day. Is it still considered a full-body routine because it's working major upper and lower muscle groups every lifting day?

Second, SS seems to advocate 5 reps per set, but this thread (and many others) suggest 8-10 reps per set. But this thread also suggests SS. Very sorry if I'm coming across as pedantic, but I'm just a little bit confused.

Finally, just seeking a little additional clarification on the following:
    If you stick with the concept that you're trying to hit a muscle as often as you are able while still recovering adequately, and let that be your guide, you'll do okay.
    In particular, what constitutes adequate recovery?

Thanks again.

Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Maullus View Post
    First, I thought the terms "full body routine" and "split routine" were pretty self-explanatory until I read this thread. That is, I thought a "full body routine" was any exercise program where you performed all (more or less) of your exercises on one day. These exercises are primarily compound, and typical full body programs are 3 non-consecutive days a week. A split, I thought, was a program that partitioned exercises into different sets (based on muscle group, upper/lower, or some other criteria), to be performed on different days.
    SS is a full body routine for maximal strength gains (3-5 reps), as opposed to hypertrophy (8-12). SS can be used to gain some mass and especially to build a solid strength base before moving on to hypertrophy work. A lot of members I see would do SS then make the switch to a more bodybuilding style program after they've stalled on strength gains.
    Squats - 315lb
    Bench - 225lb
    OHP - 165lb
    Deadlift - 355lb
    PC - 195lb
    Pull-ups - 24

billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Mon: Upper
    Tue: Lower

Th: Upper
    Fr: Lower

or Substitute "Push" and "Pull" for upper and lower. There are plenty of other variations as well. The point would be to try to even out your workload. No sense doing Squats, Deads, Bench Press and all the heavy lifting on one day and run out of energy half way through, only to do biceps, calves and eyelids the next day.
    LULZ>.... allcaps

billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Curlingrack View Post
    SS is a full body routine for maximal strength gains (3-5 reps), as opposed to hypertrophy (8-12). SS can be used to gain some mass and especially to build a solid strength base before moving on to hypertrophy work. A lot of members I see would do SS then make the switch to a more bodybuilding style program after they've stalled on strength gains.
    I would agree most of you young'uns should be doing SS first.... an old fart like me can recover better on something like All Pros

Soulgypsy1954 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been working out close to a year, I'm a 6'1 175 pound ectomorph. Was 150 when i started working out. It is very hard for me to put on weight. I have read several articles on ectomorph workouts but am not sure which one to use. One article says use the Vince Gironda 10-8-6-15 routine 2 days a week one exercise per body part. Another article has me working out in splits. So my question is which should i use? I have been doing full body twice a week but not with the pyramid, just 3x6 heavy. Also since i need to bulk up how do I bulk and keep fat off my stomach, I only have a little but any fat or excess goes straight there and nowhere else on my body. I've read ecto's should not do much cardio- Thanks for your help

Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Soulgypsy1954 View Post
    I've been working out close to a year, I'm a 6'1 175 pound ectomorph. Was 150 when i started working out. It is very hard for me to put on weight. I have read several articles on ectomorph workouts but am not sure which one to use. One article says use the Vince Gironda 10-8-6-15 routine 2 days a week one exercise per body part. Another article has me working out in splits. So my question is which should i use? I have been doing full body twice a week but not with the pyramid, just 3x6 heavy. Also since i need to bulk up how do I bulk and keep fat off my stomach, I only have a little but any fat or excess goes straight there and nowhere else on my body. I've read ecto's should not do much cardio- Thanks for your help
    Disregard ****types. Pick a novice program. Get a caloric surplus.
    Squats - 315lb
    Bench - 225lb
    OHP - 165lb
    Deadlift - 355lb
    PC - 195lb
    Pull-ups - 24

HallucaNIC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HallucaNIC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HallucaNIC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HallucaNIC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HallucaNIC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HallucaNIC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HallucaNIC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HallucaNIC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HallucaNIC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great break down, I definitely agree with it all! One of the few pieces that compare Full to Split, and accurately.
    1. Workout with every fiber of your being
    2. Eat right, eat a cows worth
    3. Sleep coma-like

RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Bumped for visibility.

newb123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) newb123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) newb123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) newb123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) newb123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) newb123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) newb123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) newb123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) newb123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) newb123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) newb123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    So what are some full body routines I can do maybe 3-5 days a week? I can 't find any links...lol

Originally Posted by newb123 View Post
    So what are some full body routines I can do maybe 3-5 days a week? I can 't find any links...lol
    Did you think to check the Stickies?

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Bump. Lots of questions about this lately.

LiveToDrift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This is a great article although it has left a noob like myself confused. I have just finished my first week workout as a split set and I enjoyed it a lot and I have some great motivation at the moment, can't wait to get back tomorrow for some more workout. Yesterday I decided to make myself a workout which is a 5 day split set.

Arms
    Chest
    Back
    Rest
    Shoulders
    Legs
    Rest

But today I read this article and now I think my workout should be binned. My main target is to get toned, big and get a major drop in body fat as at the moment it is 19%. This site has been great and is a major source of information for me. Due to me just started I get the the slight muscle aches a day or two after working out the set muscles on that day so I think at the moment I do need a bit of recovery whilst my body adapts to getting off its lazy a*se.

*This isn't my first time working out, I used to go the gym a few years back but I wasn't serious then. This time I am and I am loving it.

CLamo will become famous soon enough. (+50) CLamo will become famous soon enough. (+50) CLamo will become famous soon enough. (+50) CLamo will become famous soon enough. (+50) CLamo will become famous soon enough. (+50) CLamo will become famous soon enough. (+50) CLamo will become famous soon enough. (+50) CLamo will become famous soon enough. (+50) CLamo will become famous soon enough. (+50) CLamo will become famous soon enough. (+50) CLamo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Glad I read this. I was about to start a 5 day bodybuilder split in a few weeks just because I thought it was a cool idea. In reality I'm not nearly advanced enough to bombard each muscle only once per week, and I think my recuperative ability is pretty high, making a 2 day split much better for me.

Vox, you prefer the Upper/Lower split to the Push/Pull split?

Originally Posted by LiveToDrift View Post
    This is a great article although it has left a noob like myself confused. I have just finished my first week workout as a split set and I enjoyed it a lot and I have some great motivation at the moment, can't wait to get back tomorrow for some more workout. Yesterday I decided to make myself a workout which is a 5 day split set.

But today I read this article and now I think my workout should be binned.
    You can gain with pretty much any type of well sorted out program, provided you keep focusing on regular progression. But you probably would be better with a full body or at least an upper/lower type program for awhile.

Originally Posted by CLamo View Post

Vox, you prefer the Upper/Lower split to the Push/Pull split?
    I honestly don't have any great preference either way. I usually find it easier to go with an upper/lower, but it's really just personal preference.

usertag is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) usertag is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) usertag is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) usertag is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) usertag is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) usertag is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) usertag is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) usertag is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) usertag is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) usertag is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) usertag is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Upper
    - Bench press
    - Rows or Chin up
    - Overhead press
    - Bicep curl

Lower
    - Squat
    - stiff legged deadlift
    - Hanging leg raise
    - Calf raise

Good? Or below is enough?

Upper
    - Bench press
    - Rows or Chin up
    - Overhead press

Lower
    - Squat
    - Stiff legged deadlift

goobyplss will become famous soon enough. (+50) goobyplss will become famous soon enough. (+50) goobyplss will become famous soon enough. (+50) goobyplss will become famous soon enough. (+50) goobyplss will become famous soon enough. (+50) goobyplss will become famous soon enough. (+50) goobyplss will become famous soon enough. (+50) goobyplss will become famous soon enough. (+50) goobyplss will become famous soon enough. (+50) goobyplss will become famous soon enough. (+50) goobyplss will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by usertag View Post
    Upper
    - Bench press
    - Rows or Chin up
    - Overhead press
    - Bicep curl

Lower
    - Squat
    - stiff legged deadlift
    - Hanging leg raise
    - Calf raise

Good? Or below is enough?

Upper
    - Bench press
    - Rows or Chin up
    - Overhead press

Lower
    - Squat
    - Stiff legged deadlift
    I would do more volume.. both are too little in volume.

usertag is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) usertag is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) usertag is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) usertag is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) usertag is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) usertag is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) usertag is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) usertag is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) usertag is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) usertag is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) usertag is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by goobyplss View Post
    how about 6 sets each exercise?

No Fat Man Coffin For ME! rleigh1977's Avatar
    rleigh1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rleigh1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rleigh1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rleigh1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rleigh1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rleigh1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rleigh1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rleigh1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rleigh1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rleigh1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rleigh1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    New to the forums and working my way through the stickies. Thanks for the great info.....

Sean26607 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sean26607 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sean26607 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sean26607 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sean26607 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sean26607 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sean26607 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sean26607 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sean26607 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sean26607 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sean26607 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Good thread for beginners. Bump

Mak1n is just really nice. (+1000) Mak1n is just really nice. (+1000) Mak1n is just really nice. (+1000) Mak1n is just really nice. (+1000) Mak1n is just really nice. (+1000) Mak1n is just really nice. (+1000) Mak1n is just really nice. (+1000) Mak1n is just really nice. (+1000) Mak1n is just really nice. (+1000) Mak1n is just really nice. (+1000) Mak1n is just really nice. (+1000)
    Vox, I'll ask question which I guess lots of newbies reading this thread would wanna know. So if you could reverse time and become that skinny/fat newbie once again which Full-Body 3x times a Week routine would you follow? And what do you think about All Pro routine?

Abstinence till marriage weazy79's Avatar
    weazy79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weazy79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weazy79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weazy79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weazy79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weazy79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weazy79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weazy79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weazy79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weazy79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weazy79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by goobyplss View Post
    LOL, and he didn't even post his set/rep scheme.

No wonder you are red.

weazy79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weazy79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weazy79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weazy79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weazy79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weazy79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weazy79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weazy79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weazy79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weazy79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weazy79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    People think it's crazy because they can't get past lifting only two days a week, but I actually prefer a twice a week full body routine done on monday and thursday. Hell sometimes I even go with an extra day of rest and do a one on, three off, one on schedule. All about doing what's best for you.

Originally Posted by usertag View Post
    how about 6 sets each exercise?
    He's red. Red's should never be listened to. In fact reds should have a website much as sexual predators do.

Originally Posted by Mak1n View Post
    Vox, I'll ask question which I guess lots of newbies reading this thread would wanna know. So if you could reverse time and become that skinny/fat newbie once again which Full-Body 3x times a Week routine would you follow? And what do you think about All Pro routine?
    It doesn't really matter, as long as it's a routine that's:
    A) Based primarily around the compound lifts
    b) Focuses on steady progression from week-week.

All Pro's is a solid beginner routine, and one I've recommended many times. Starting Strength is also a good one.

D0lphin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It doesn't really matter, as long as it's a routine that's:
    A) Based primarily around the compound lifts
    b) Focuses on steady progression from week-week.

All Pro's is a solid beginner routine, and one I've recommended many times. Starting Strength is also a good one.
    Pff I got a question at this moment and I won't get any answers so that's why I am asking it here. I started working out like 8 moths ago. I gained pretty decent but not that good. I used a 4 day split and didn't really think of filling in a workout routine so I would see how much I progressed. Now since a week my knee is injured and I can't train my legs, got to rest 10-12 weeks. Is t smart to switch to a full body routine 3 times a week? Or should I just got on with my 3 day split? Monday chest and triceps, Tuesday back and biceps, thursday shoulders..
    Thanks in advance

blur2890 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    from what i learned from first hand experience doing full body most of the week is better at first u may not make as fast of gains but ur body will adapt and depending who u are u can benefit from it big time i get my best reps after 5-6 days training ina row. heres some of my workouts i do these almost every day unless i dont feel like it then ill do push ups or core. sum days are added with weight others without and i change the moves around but keep the sets similar with high reps or low reps depending on the weight i feel like adding. i do legs when every i feel like it since i dont feel body fatigue easy.

day 1
    pullups 3sets =80-90 reps
    dips 3sets =110-130 reps
    muscle up 3 sets =25-35 reps
    handstand push ups on straight bar 3 sets =7-15 reps
    day 2
    same as day 1. just added chin ups but with 10lbs extra weight
    day 3
    same as day 2 but with 20 lbs extra weight i take it off after the dips
    day 4
    freestyle heavy advanced moves like handstand push ups muscle ups all variations front lever and planche holds
    day 5
    if im feeling it push ups pull ups dips and chin ups with my 60 lb vest in 3 sets each move i rest doing squats
    Last edited by blur2890; 08-27-2012 at 07:23 AM.