Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
    learntobefit88 is not very well liked. (-100) learntobefit88 is not very well liked. (-100) learntobefit88 is not very well liked. (-100) learntobefit88 is not very well liked. (-100) learntobefit88 is not very well liked. (-100) learntobefit88 is not very well liked. (-100) learntobefit88 is not very well liked. (-100) learntobefit88 is not very well liked. (-100) learntobefit88 is not very well liked. (-100) learntobefit88 is not very well liked. (-100) learntobefit88 is not very well liked. (-100)
    i am beginner and just started my workout routine this month. i do the full body workout and you are right! this kind of work out works pretty well for beginner like me

bicepsnglutes is not very well liked. (-100) bicepsnglutes is not very well liked. (-100) bicepsnglutes is not very well liked. (-100) bicepsnglutes is not very well liked. (-100) bicepsnglutes is not very well liked. (-100) bicepsnglutes is not very well liked. (-100) bicepsnglutes is not very well liked. (-100) bicepsnglutes is not very well liked. (-100) bicepsnglutes is not very well liked. (-100) bicepsnglutes is not very well liked. (-100) bicepsnglutes is not very well liked. (-100)
    Felt like I had to share this video, I think it summarize everything pretty well regarding full body and split variations!

Couldnt link but search on this in youtube: The Best Science-Based Workout Split To Maximize Growth (CHOOSE WISELY!)

sparky96 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Split

Originally Posted by bicepsnglutes View Post
    Felt like I had to share this video, I think it summarize everything pretty well regarding full body and split variations!

Couldnt link but search on this in youtube: The Best Science-Based Workout Split To Maximize Growth (CHOOSE WISELY!)
    Interesting video, for sure.

Pianoist101 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Pianoist101 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Pianoist101 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Pianoist101 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Pianoist101 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Pianoist101 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Pianoist101 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Pianoist101 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Pianoist101 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Pianoist101 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Pianoist101 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by bsdesign0000 View Post
    So i created a new full body workout routine with a friend of mine. Here is what i will be doing:

its 3x a week, about 80min workout or so. Mondays I will be doing all my exercises at 8 reps (calf raises at 12). Wednesdays will be doing 9 reps (calf raises 16). Friday will be doing 10 resp (calf raises 20).
    Each week I will be adding about 10% of weight to the exercises. On my rest days I will be doing 30mins (or more) of cardio, plus ab workouts. Here is the routine (I dont have free weights at my gym so i will be using the smith machine):

Elliptical - 10mins (warmup)
    Squats - 4 sets (1 warmup)
    Bench Press - 4 sets (1 warmup)
    Bent Over Rows - 4 sets (1 warmup)
    Seated Overhead Shoulder Press - 4 sets (1 warmup)
    Stiff Legged Deadlift - 3 sets
    Calf Raise - 3 sets
    Barbell Curls - 3 sets
    EZ-Bar Skullcrushers - 3 sets
    Elliptical - 5mins (cooldown)
    Hey man, your full body routine looks great. Honestly there’s no magic formula; so long as you’re hitting each muscle with a couple of genuinely difficult sets (not just going through the motions), and so long as you’re shooting to up the weight each week or every two weeks, you’re good to go!

The only thing I’d say is that, if you’ve only been training for 6 months or less, you’d honestly grow well from less. Three movements per workout is fine. Squat, bench, row one day, squat, overhead press, deadlift the next.

The big compound movements are where you’re going to add real muscle mass, so that should be where 90% of your focus is! You can add in curls and stuff for sure, but I’d go balls to the wall on the main movements and only add in the other stuff if you have time/the energy. They aren’t strictly necessary for beginners – or certainly not as necessary as benching and squatting is!

solarfuel is a jewel in the rough. (+500) solarfuel is a jewel in the rough. (+500) solarfuel is a jewel in the rough. (+500) solarfuel is a jewel in the rough. (+500) solarfuel is a jewel in the rough. (+500) solarfuel is a jewel in the rough. (+500) solarfuel is a jewel in the rough. (+500) solarfuel is a jewel in the rough. (+500) solarfuel is a jewel in the rough. (+500) solarfuel is a jewel in the rough. (+500) solarfuel is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Thanks for the thread. Good information in here.

Redacre is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post
    Full Body Routines vs. Splits

The question often arises, especially from beginners, about what type of routine to use. Your buddy told you to use a full body routine, but the muscle mags suggest a 5-day "bodybuilder" split. You don't want to start off on the wrong foot, but there is so much information out there that sorting through what to do can be difficult.

This is some of my opinion on the subject, and maybe it'll help a few people out.

Full Body Routines:

In my opinion, this is the place for a beginner to start. I have many years of lifting experience, and have pretty much always used some form of bodybuilding split routine. However, if I had it to do over again, I would have begun with a good full-body routine, built around the compound lifts, done 3 times per week. When you are a beginner you don't generally have the muscular strength to work intensely enough, or with enough volume, to require as much recovery time as someone who is stronger or more experienced. If you are a young beginner, on top of that, you have very good recovery abilities due to high hormone levels. So, because you are recovered relatively quickly after each workout, you want to stimulate each muscle group more often to induce strength and growth.

Another reason to start with a full body program is that this gives you the opportunity to learn and practice the basic lifts: squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, barbell rows, etc. Whether your goal is bodybuilding, strength athlete, sports, or just remaining fit, these really ought to form the basis of any routine. No matter what path you choose to "branch out" on later, these core lifts will serve you well.

2-Day Split Routines:

So the next question becomes: when should I think about split routines? In very simple terms, the answer is: when full body routines become too much. Usually, as you get stronger, it becomes very difficult to maintain enough energy to do squats, deadlifts, bench press, etc. all on the same day. You may also find that you want to add in a few isolation exercises to bring up your weak areas, or you may want to begin focusing more on each core lift. Another issue is recovery; as you get stronger, you are able to work out more intensely, and that means longer recovery times. So at that point, it makes sense to "split" things up by only doing a part of your previous full routine on any given day.

A logical place to make your first split is into an Upper / Lower type routine. This will have you doing your upper body work like bench press, rows, overhead pressing on 1 day, and your lower body work like squats on another day. Another way to go would be a "push/pull" type split where you do all your pulling exercises (rows, deads) on one day and your pushing exercises (squats, overhead press, bench) on another day. Exactly how you do it is up to you, but the point is to divide the workload per session. This will give you more time (and volume) per body part, and also give you a bit more recovery before you work that muscle again. Most people will typically cycle through a 2-day split like these twice per week. So instead of every muscle being stimulated 3 times per week with the full body, now it's twice per week with the 2-day split.

3+ Day Splits:

3, 4, 5 (or more!) day splits come in when you again feel the need to divide your workload to match your recovery abilities, or increase the amount of work you want to do on specific muscles or lifts. Generally, these type of splits are mostly bodybuilding related, but even strength athletes may chose to split so they can work on speed lifts one day, strength work another, etc.

At this point (speaking to bodybuilding) many lifters will only hit each muscle group once per week. This has the advantage of letting you really hammer a muscle group with a lot of weight and volume, and then give it plenty of time to recover while you're bringing the pain to the next group. Your full body effort is broken down into segments that are manageable from a workload, energy, and recovery standpoint.

If you are an "experienced" (older) lifter with decreased recovery abilities (we all ain't as young as we used to be), this type of split often is useful for staying healthy due to the increased recovery time per body part. The kids might not think it's important, but your tendons might.

There are so many variations of splits that I won't even attempt to detail all the possibilities. If you follow the advice in this post, by the time you need a multiple day split, you'll know your body, your goals, and have a pretty good idea of what you want to do.

Final Thoughts:

I believe it's a logical notion to start with a full body routine, and begin splitting only when you feel the need to increase your recovery or increase your volume. If you stick with the concept that you're trying to hit a muscle as often as you are able while still recovering adequately, and let that be your guide, you'll do okay.

Hopefully, this gives some food for thought to help you decide what type of routine you should use. Ultimately, however, it's worth saying that you can do fine with any well-designed program even if you begin with a split routine right from the beginning.

Repost from my thread in the Exercises Section...it's more applicable here.

I do 3 day splits

lukster81 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    When did U switch to a split from the full body?

FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I feel like I burn way more calories with a full body, and also more simple to be consistent with.

shivam2691 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am doing regular 2 muscles a day 6 days a week program from last 3 months. Hitting every muscle twice and I'm really struggling even lift a beginner weight. I am 5.7 ft, 75 kg (165 lbs), 27 yo and i can't bench, sqaut or OH press my body weight. I need to know what program should i follow to build good amount of strength. I have never seen any newbie gains rolling in.

My current lifts are as follows:

1. Bench press 60 kg (132 lbs) 3X8-9
    2. Squat 50 Kg (110 lbs) 3X8-9 with a pinching sensation in the hip joint from the front part of left thigh
    3. Over head press 40 Kg (88lbs) 3X5-7
    4. Deadlift 90 Kg (198 lbs) 3X8-9

What program should i follow and incorporate a bit of cross fit + cardio to gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously as I have 23% Body fat.

I plan to do this

Day 1 5X5
    Day 2 Bicep+Tricep+abs
    Day 3 5X5
    Day 4 Shoulders+ cardio
    Day 5 5X5
    Day 6 Cross fit + incline/decline chest, pull ups/pushups, lower back exercise.
    Day 7 rest and repeat.

Eating 150 gm protein a day while following this kinda program.. Do you think these extra days can hamper my

seally4 is a complete loser! (-2000) seally4 is a complete loser! (-2000) seally4 is a complete loser! (-2000) seally4 is a complete loser! (-2000) seally4 is a complete loser! (-2000) seally4 is a complete loser! (-2000) seally4 is a complete loser! (-2000) seally4 is a complete loser! (-2000) seally4 is a complete loser! (-2000) seally4 is a complete loser! (-2000) seally4 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    True, but also you could also train the body part that is least sore if you are stuck on which body part to work on next if you do the multiple splits workout schedule

themadisonvibe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) themadisonvibe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) themadisonvibe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) themadisonvibe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) themadisonvibe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) themadisonvibe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) themadisonvibe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) themadisonvibe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) themadisonvibe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) themadisonvibe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) themadisonvibe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Personally I prefer full body routines... stopping for some reasons make me feel cozy at times.

duckmandrake06 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hello I am pretty new with my program and I had been doing splits for about 6 or 7 months. I went from about 145lbs to around 156 so I am thinking about switching to full body to see if that gives me better results.

IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    In my experience (forty years of weight training - where did the time go?), full body workouts are too depleting on the body's immune system. And the full body soreness that follows is rough, assuming that you are hitting it hard each workout.

I've always had great success with a two days per week split - Day A: Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps, and Day B: Legs, Back, and Biceps. I go hard enough on Day A to need a couple of days off before I hit Day B. If you are sore, then your body is telling you that it is still healing - the healing fluids are saturating the area of the damaged tissue. Stressing the body with another muscle-breakdown effort, even if it is a different area of the body, is asking a lot of your body and will likely to lead to fatigue and an eventual lack of interest due to injury or slow progress.

The split routine also allows for fewer exercises in the workout, taking advantage of the natural muscle breakdown synergies that occur when you put the exercises in the right order, providing a deep muscle tissue breakdown. To build the chest, for instance, Bench Presses followed by Incline Bench Presses will allow you to hit the chest at two angles, recruiting more muscles in the process. And the Incline Press will require less weight to be effective since you just spent time breaking down most of the muscles on the previous Bench Press exercise.

If you are working through those exercises with full mental focus and physical effort, the weights you end up using to keep yourself challenged should be heavy enough to give your muscles an efficient breakdown. Now you need to get out of the gym and grow...spend some time browsing the BB store and get some good protein powder and start getting fired up for your next workout.

Exercise execution is also key for progress. Work to get the proper form down on each exercise. I keep notes at every workout and refer to them each new workout to make sure I have the important technique ques top of mind as I approach the bar. Master the movement, and the heavier weights and muscle definition and size will follow.

Most of all, be consistent. Is a three or four days per week, full body workout something that you can realistically expect of yourself each and every week? What about work, school, relationships, social life, etc.? Missing workout days will impact progress. If you are like me, even one week off of training will trigger the natural muscle atrophy process that occurs when the body believes that the added mass is no longer necessary. Then it's like starting all over when you get back into it, which means really, really sore muscles that first week back.

Of course, your experiences may differ, and if a full body routine is giving good results, then it may be worth staying on it. I don't think there are many routines out there that I haven't at least considered over the years. Keeping workout logs also helps document your program efforts. If you end up changing to a different program, try to make a note on the previous program's workout log as to why you felt you needed a change. This will help you remember why something did not work so you don't repeat any mistakes as you move closer to the perfect-for-you routine.
    I love the sound of clangin' iron!

Iron-Fortified For Life - a book on powerbuilding for getting big and strong naturally.

Here is the link in case you are interested:

https://www.amazon.com/Iron-Fortified-Life-W-S-Campbell/dp/1544238452/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1537134965&sr=8-2&keywords=iron+fortified+for+life&dpID=51CQjlN5Q1L&preST=_SY344_BO1,204,203,200_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

rsch613 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    So ive been working out consistenly for like 10 months and have made significant strength gains and still am currently. Im wondering though if i could be making better gains. Im doing a push legs off pull off repeat routine right now. Im wondering if increasing frequency maybe beneficial. Im doing a good amount of volume and am worn out by the end of my workouts and for days to come after so i think intensity and volume are plenty high.

IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by rsch613 View Post
    So ive been working out consistenly for like 10 months and have made significant strength gains and still am currently. Im wondering though if i could be making better gains. Im doing a push legs off pull off repeat routine right now. Im wondering if increasing frequency maybe beneficial. Im doing a good amount of volume and am worn out by the end of my workouts and for days to come after so i think intensity and volume are plenty high.
    Volume does not necessarily translate to intensity. For example, I just transitioned back to my normal bench routine after a few weeks of working a strength-base maintenance type of program (dog-days of summer were driving some fatigue that I couldn't shake off).

The strength-base routine had me doing 3 sets of 5 on the bench, same weight across all three sets. I added chains to kick the intensity up a notch (I add chains to my bench rep-out set in my normal routine and didn't want to lose the power-building benefit that the chains provide).

My normal bench routine has me doing 3 sets of 5,4,3 reps, going up in weight each set. When I returned to my normal routine after the 3x5 program, the added intensity was the first thig I felt. Everything from my back to my shoulder and elbow joints and tendons were being challenged again by the 3x5,4,3 efforts. 3x5 is more volume, but the intensity just wasn't there, even with the addition of chains, although it helped.

If you are getting positive results, maybe stay at current weight for each exercise and re-focus on exercise execution. I've made exceptional progress by simply pushing an exercise to its full range of motion, whereas prior to that, I had been anxious to move up in weight and slowly shortened the movement in the process...subconsciously. The effects are like a chain reaction. If I shorten my tricep pressdown reps, my bench lock-out suffers - over time, I just couldn't get those last few bench reps to go all the way to the top. Once I fixed the pressdowns, the bench lockouts were solid, and both the bench weights and chest size increased as a result. Do this for each exercise, and a new growth spurt is likely to occur.

Iron-Fortified For Life - a book on powerbuilding for getting big and strong naturally.

https://www.amazon.com/Iron-Fortified-Life-W-S-Campbell/dp/1544238452/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1537134965&sr=8-2&keywords=iron+fortified+for+life&dpID=51CQjlN5Q1L&preST=_SY344_BO1,204,203,200_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Jeremy19969 is not very well liked. (-100) Jeremy19969 is not very well liked. (-100) Jeremy19969 is not very well liked. (-100) Jeremy19969 is not very well liked. (-100) Jeremy19969 is not very well liked. (-100) Jeremy19969 is not very well liked. (-100) Jeremy19969 is not very well liked. (-100) Jeremy19969 is not very well liked. (-100) Jeremy19969 is not very well liked. (-100) Jeremy19969 is not very well liked. (-100) Jeremy19969 is not very well liked. (-100)
    I found the 5 day split actually better for cutting and maintaining.

Over45Lifting is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Anyone doing full-body 5 days a week? You don't hear it discussed often. Occasionally, Jason Blaha, and others like him, will talk about hitting full-body every day. Low volume 1 to 2 reps short of failure.

KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by IronFortified View Post
    In my experience (forty years of weight training - where did the time go?), full body workouts are too depleting on the body's immune system. And the full body soreness that follows is rough, assuming that you are hitting it hard each workout.

I've always had great success with a two days per week split - Day A: Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps, and Day B: Legs, Back, and Biceps. I go hard enough on Day A to need a couple of days off before I hit Day B. If you are sore, then your body is telling you that it is still healing - the healing fluids are saturating the area of the damaged tissue. Stressing the body with another muscle-breakdown effort, even if it is a different area of the body, is asking a lot of your body and will likely to lead to fatigue and an eventual lack of interest due to injury or slow progress.
    I like the looks of your current split. I have been doing P/P/L for the last 6 months, it's been great but looking to switch it up. I'm looking at doing a upper/lower. I like deadlifting and do them on my pull day. Where would you put deadlifts in on your schedule, if you do them?

ScottNeely has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ScottNeely has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ScottNeely has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ScottNeely has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ScottNeely has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ScottNeely has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ScottNeely has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ScottNeely has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ScottNeely has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ScottNeely has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ScottNeely has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've found some success with my split over the past 5 months. I had been working out 7 days a week, obviously with lower intensity. So I decided to introduce a couple rest days and it seems to have worked, as I gained 10lbs and strength with minimal bodyfat increases. A typical week usually looks like this:

Sunday: Legs, calves, chest, abs
    Monday: Back, biceps, forearms
    Tuesday: Shoulders, triceps, calves + hockey late that day
    Wednesday: hockey
    Thursday: lightish legs, calves, light chest, light shoulders
    Friday: Back, Bi/Tri, abs, forearms
    Saturday: hockey in the morning

My only worry, and its not pressing because I don't have any pain, is that chest/shoulders dynamic early in the week. Too much stress on the joint in a 48 span? I have been thinking about throwing shoulders in with chest on sunday, then making tuesday a full arm day. Thoughts?

Originally Posted by KidFreeze View Post
    I like the looks of your current split. I have been doing P/P/L for the last 6 months, it's been great but looking to switch it up. I'm looking at doing a upper/lower. I like deadlifting and do them on my pull day. Where would you put deadlifts in on your schedule, if you do them?
    Sorry for late reply. Deadlifts are awesome, and I do a heavy triple every week (85% of 1-rep max), which is done after Squats on Leg, Back, and Biceps day. The key is to not overdo the Squat work. I stay in the strength range for Squats with a heavy set of 8, then 5 reps before moving on to the Deadlift triple. After Deadlifts, I hit a set of 5 reps on Stiff-Legged Deadlifts with 75% of the Deadlift triple work weight. After that, it's Bent-Over Rows for a heavy 5-rep set, Shoulder Shrugs for 6-8 reps, Lat Pulldowns for 8-10 reps, then cable Bicep Curls for 10-12 reps.

Every exercise gets at least one warm-up set to grease-the-groove and prepare the muscles and tendons for a heavy work set. The muscle breakdown synergy from the exercise order amplifies the strength and size results. Just make sure you are hitting it hard and heavy, but with proper full-range-of-motion form for each rep, and getting good sleep and eating enough.

friendlyfire31 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Guys, have you got a thread where i can post my training program that you can evaluate ? (point mistakes, give tips). Thanks.

nooor44s is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    thanks for the information

AndyLausmax is just really nice. (+1000) AndyLausmax is just really nice. (+1000) AndyLausmax is just really nice. (+1000) AndyLausmax is just really nice. (+1000) AndyLausmax is just really nice. (+1000) AndyLausmax is just really nice. (+1000) AndyLausmax is just really nice. (+1000) AndyLausmax is just really nice. (+1000) AndyLausmax is just really nice. (+1000) AndyLausmax is just really nice. (+1000) AndyLausmax is just really nice. (+1000)
    Personally, I prefer a split-training routine because I can do strength training on consecutive days. This isn't the case with a full-body programme because you have to give your muscles at least 24 hours to recover. Otherwise, they won't grow. I've been doing a four-day split for the past few years and it's worked well for me.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by AndyLausmax View Post
    Personally, I prefer a split-training routine because I can do strength training on consecutive days. This isn't the case with a full-body programme because you have to give your muscles at least 24 hours to recover. Otherwise, they won't grow. I've been doing a four-day split for the past few years and it's worked well for me.
    You don't have to give your muscles 24 hours to recover unless you've hit them really hard. But if you manage the total volume over the course of a week, you shouldn't be doing too much on one day anyway.

Quite a few people are doing full body everyday now. It could be argued that it suits experienced lifters more since they are less able to cause muscle damage, each stimulus is smaller.

Cyrus1934 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

An amazing beginners to intermediate routine or life long building or maintenance pro

I started training at 5 yrs old with pushups. Pull ups. Sit ups. I trained on those every other day. On the off days I would run bike and or partake in calisthenics and stretching. Training helped me immensely with my hockey game as defenseman. My Folks got me on the blades at age 2. Still skate. Thanks Mom and Dad. Hmmmmmmm. In sixth grade I started ordering and reading every muscle building course I could afford and get my hands on. Universal bodybuilding. Joe Weiders. Charles Atlas. I would say the best out of all those was Morrie Mitchell's 12 week course. Really great stuff!! Morrie also put out the Tri power contractional System. Good luck finding that one these days. That was the best 7 dollars I ever spent in my Life!! Peary Radars Iron man mag was amazing. Each mag was like getting 8 to 12 courses per issue. God I miss that mag. Joe Weiders muscle builder power was great too. Later turned It to muscle and fitness. So the question.. Full body or split eh? I have tried both. I would say for last few yrs I have been training the full body. Every other day. With a layoff every 8 weeks of a week. Here's a rough idea as to my program: my knees and rotator cuff and back r not the best so I stay clear of super heavy weights and certain exercises. But I seem to be building on the following. Not a spring chicken these days either. I'm 6 ft. Arms are 19 cold. Chest 52. Waist 36 260 lbs No steroids ever. Just eat right. Try to live a healthy life. Everything in moderation. Ok my program: leg extension. Leg curls. Seated Machine bench press. Seated machine rows. Long pulley machine rows. Standing lateral raises. Supported Bent over lateral raises with light dumbbells. Seated dumbbell curls. One arm dumbbell concentration curls. Triceps pushdowns on machine. Sets and reps per exercise. One set of 20 to 30 reps to warm-up. By 30 rep on this 1st set I already have a considerable pump. Second and last set. With no rest. Add enough weight where u can barley I mean barely get 12 to 15 reps. Then do 1/2 pumps. 1/4 pumps. Till u cannot raise the weight even 1 inch more. That's it. Use that scheme for each muscle group and each exercise. U will not want to do more than that. The key here is not to over train. So many people think if some is good. Then more must be better right? Not always is so in the iron game. Coax your muscles into growing and getting and stronger. On off days I hike or cycle. Abs calves etc. Just a suggestion. Good luck. Cy

fandaal is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I started doing a full body program this time, but now it is morphing in something more accentuated. Like, I am still touching on all muscle groups every time I am in the gym (3 days a week). But now I try to target my lagging muscles such as arms and shoulders on different days. This way, you can maintain everything while reaching the threshold on your target muscle groups. Soo, I initially did Wednesday - OHP, block pulldown, deadlift, abs. Now I do deadlift, ohp, block pulldown, kettlebell row, standing barbell curls, sitting dumbell curls, abs. This way, I emphasize biceps more.

gainnation2007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gainnation2007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gainnation2007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gainnation2007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gainnation2007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gainnation2007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gainnation2007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gainnation2007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gainnation2007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gainnation2007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gainnation2007 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Cool Choose a body part split

Body part splits are def the way to go unless your not using creatine 🤫 here’s my program

Monday
    Biceps

Tuesday
    Triceps

Wednesday
    Shoulders

Thursday
    Chest

Friday
    Traps

Saturday
    Lats

Sunday truceps

joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Good thread, good sticky ...

I don’t have much to add (but that’s never stopped me before : -)

“Full Body” is great for beginners but it’s also great for many of us who are just trying to fit a healthy workout / healthy lifestyle into an already too busy life. It’s also a good way to ease back into weight lifting after a “too long” time out.

Less than one hour (including a short bike ride) just three days a week. All days are pretty much the same so, as opposed to "Split Body", if I miss a day I simply pick it up later in the week. There’s nothing to overthink.

When you first start it’s oft a simple one set on each of a circuit of workstations. I would suggest ordering the circuit for big muscles first finishing off with smaller muscles (e.g., legs, then chest/back, then arms, then abs).

In short order you may find you want to add sets. Nothing I hate more than sitting idle for a minute or three between sets not to mention adding a needless half hour to my workout time so I “super set” between agonistic pairs, e.g., hamstring/quads, back/chest, biceps/triceps. (Thus the biceps “rest” while I bang my triceps.) Also, I’m pretty sure "super setting" augments my cardio.

I’ve gone to “Split Body” several times over the years when I had time, purpose and interest and must admit it does take things to the next level. I’ve used split routines for Olympic Style Lifting, Power Lifting and even a stint on the local arm wrestling circuit and was pleased with the results.

But “Full Body” is great for the times when life (kids, work, school, injuries, etc.) gets in the way. I’m a septuagenarian and “Full Body” is now looking like the “right mistake” for a man my age as he winds down his life.

There's another nice thing about "Full Body" for beginners (and repeat "beginners"). It's "recruitment". Many of us have muscle just laying around like an inactive military reserve. As the active muscle gets loaded it starts calling out to the vacationers to help out thus initial strength gains are quick. Why do more than you need to in the beginning?

There's also a double bonus for "repeat beginners", a phenomenon known as "muscle memory". Because you've already been there the initial return, the "learning curve", is even quicker. Because of age you might never get back to where you were but the initial progress will be quicker than that of a complete novice.
    Last edited by joewattie; 12-31-2020 at 05:55 AM.
    joe Henry

dhochoy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I stick to a full body routine even though it might not be the best option on a regular basis based on experience.

cr2050 is not very well liked. (-100) cr2050 is not very well liked. (-100) cr2050 is not very well liked. (-100) cr2050 is not very well liked. (-100) cr2050 is not very well liked. (-100) cr2050 is not very well liked. (-100) cr2050 is not very well liked. (-100) cr2050 is not very well liked. (-100) cr2050 is not very well liked. (-100) cr2050 is not very well liked. (-100) cr2050 is not very well liked. (-100)
    I would prefer the full body rather than the split. Currently a beginner since it has been almost 3 months but a friend of mine has been doing it for almost a year. I am able to handle the splits plus full body workout but my friend can't. I am just curious since I think its because I have maintained a proper diet while she has an on and off diet plan. I wonder could this actually be due to diet or some other reason.