Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
    Bane11 is not very well liked. (-100) Bane11 is not very well liked. (-100) Bane11 is not very well liked. (-100) Bane11 is not very well liked. (-100) Bane11 is not very well liked. (-100) Bane11 is not very well liked. (-100) Bane11 is not very well liked. (-100) Bane11 is not very well liked. (-100) Bane11 is not very well liked. (-100) Bane11 is not very well liked. (-100) Bane11 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Full body workout are great for beginners, those coming back from a long layoff or just a change from doing regular splits.

Here's a good routine done 2-3 times a week.

Squats 2-3x8
    Leg press or leg curls 2-3x8
    Calf raises 2-3x8
    Bench press 2-3x8
    Incline press 2-3x8
    Chins or pull downs 2-3x8
    Rows 2-3x8
    Deadlifts 2-3x8
    Front press 2-3x8
    Barbell curls 2-3x8
    Close grip press 2-3x8
    Knee raises or crunches 2-3x20

Do 2 to 3 work sets of 8 reps to near failure. Once 8 reps are attainable increase weight.

ScouserAlec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi guys,

Been reading on this forum for a good few years now but never posted.

When I first started off weight training the first routine I ever done was the following;

Monday
    Wednesday
    Friday

It was very basic, I done two exercises for each body part, simple. (If anyone wants to know the exercises etc then I will post it)

I am imagining that some people will flame this as it is not a routine you tend to see often but it really did work fantastic for me and gave me a great base to start off on, it might not work for everyone but the results I seen were really fantastic.

MzIrish is on a distinguished road. (+10) MzIrish is on a distinguished road. (+10) MzIrish is on a distinguished road. (+10) MzIrish is on a distinguished road. (+10) MzIrish is on a distinguished road. (+10) MzIrish is on a distinguished road. (+10) MzIrish is on a distinguished road. (+10) MzIrish is on a distinguished road. (+10) MzIrish is on a distinguished road. (+10) MzIrish is on a distinguished road. (+10) MzIrish is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Great read.... I am glad I came across this article. This is pretty much how I started because it just felt like what my body needed to do. I hope I can continue on the right track.. Thanks for the info

ombev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It depends on your goals. For a beginner, it may be better to do a full body routine, but once you have a solid foundation, imo targeting one muscle group during each workout is optimal to tear up the muscle as much as possible.

JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The only problem I have with the notion that beginners need a full-body is the amount of time people think a beginner will get benefits exclusively from a full body.

So a very skinny teen who benches 70 x 10 pounds doesn't really need anything except squat, deadlift, OHP and bench 3x a week because benching 70 x10 won't bring him anywhere. But after few months when the same guy can now bench 150 x 10 I think it's time, if he is bored with the same stuff or is getting tired with all that squatting and deadlifting to split the routine, add more accessory exercises and so on because he might not be very strong but the work load is enough to get results from a more hypertrophy oriented routine.

Likewise a beginner who can already bench 150 x 10 (for example) like many naturally strong or new to weights not to sports guys, would need just a month on a strength routine to learn the form well but with that work load he could jump immediately to whatever split or bb oriented workout he likes.

So when people say "a beginner need a strength base" they should understand the context. Yes they need a strenght base when their 1RM is so low pumping weights is almost useless but that doesn't mean they need to become powerlifters before ever attempting to curl, french press, shrug and spend 1 year or more on a routine they don't like and feel it doesn't match their true passion.

KrisMahdi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KrisMahdi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KrisMahdi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KrisMahdi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KrisMahdi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KrisMahdi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KrisMahdi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KrisMahdi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KrisMahdi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KrisMahdi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KrisMahdi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I usually start with full body routine , but after 3 days it ALREADY feels too much , the I move on to splits .

Maybe it's because am not getting enough carbs intake , probably actually , because am always focusing on my protein intake . The gains are massive though , even though am not training very hard , my nutrition makes up for it , with a little bit of intense split workouts . Good articletthanks for sharing .

noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I personally think when comparing splits to full body it's a very easy choice, even for bodybuilders. Full body workouts win hands down. There is a reason the great bodybuilders from the pre-steroids era virtually all used full body programs. Now, the reason I say this is the vast majority of splits people use are genuine bro splits with no real thought into why they split it that way. They just work each body part once a week. The other extreme is copying an IFBB Pro's routine. Now, how many of us are IFBB Pro bodybuilder level? I didn't think so either. I do think upper-lower and push-pull are great routines for people that need a bit more recovery or can't handle doing all the major lifts in one workout. I also don't feel that there is really ever a need to split it up much more than that. Legs-push-pull is maybe the most extreme I'd ever consider, but I think it's not necessary to ever split it that much even. What people need to realize is they don't need to go super heavy on every compound movement every day. An example would be if you are doing a 3 day a week full body routine, you could do it like this. Monday is heavy bench day. You do heavy bench first followed by bench accessories with some light to moderate squats and something like stiff legged DLs or GLH. Wednesday is heavy squat day. Same type of idea, you do your heavy squats followed by some accessories if needed and then do your pressing and pulling exercises at a light to moderate weight. Friday is Deadlift day. You don't even have to squat everyday, so some people might choose to just not squat this day to avoid overly fatiguing themselves. You then do light to moderate upper body work to finish. The last thing I'd mention is sports training should almost always be done in full body in my opinion. You don't need splits for athletic performance training in my opinion, and in-season I wouldn't recommend doing more than 2xs a week anyways. Stick to major compound lifts for sports training with only necessary accessory movements mainly to prevent injury.
    For sick soccer skills, check out my website: http://nobletstreetsoccer.com/

reicherts78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) reicherts78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) reicherts78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) reicherts78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) reicherts78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) reicherts78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) reicherts78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) reicherts78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) reicherts78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) reicherts78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) reicherts78 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by noblet10 View Post
    I personally think when comparing splits to full body it's a very easy choice, even for bodybuilders. Full body workouts win hands down. There is a reason the great bodybuilders from the pre-steroids era virtually all used full body programs. Now, the reason I say this is the vast majority of splits people use are genuine bro splits with no real thought into why they split it that way. They just work each body part once a week. The other extreme is copying an IFBB Pro's routine. Now, how many of us are IFBB Pro bodybuilder level? I didn't think so either. I do think upper-lower and push-pull are great routines for people that need a bit more recovery or can't handle doing all the major lifts in one workout. I also don't feel that there is really ever a need to split it up much more than that. Legs-push-pull is maybe the most extreme I'd ever consider, but I think it's not necessary to ever split it that much even. What people need to realize is they don't need to go super heavy on every compound movement every day. An example would be if you are doing a 3 day a week full body routine, you could do it like this. Monday is heavy bench day. You do heavy bench first followed by bench accessories with some light to moderate squats and something like stiff legged DLs or GLH. Wednesday is heavy squat day. Same type of idea, you do your heavy squats followed by some accessories if needed and then do your pressing and pulling exercises at a light to moderate weight. Friday is Deadlift day. You don't even have to squat everyday, so some people might choose to just not squat this day to avoid overly fatiguing themselves. You then do light to moderate upper body work to finish. The last thing I'd mention is sports training should almost always be done in full body in my opinion. You don't need splits for athletic performance training in my opinion, and in-season I wouldn't recommend doing more than 2xs a week anyways. Stick to major compound lifts for sports training with only necessary accessory movements mainly to prevent injury.
    I agree. I have lifted for 10 years and tried all types of training. I prefer Full Body and also created a program with 3 different workouts for full body. They all contain supersets except the first move which is the focus of the heavier lift. So Full Body Leg Emphasis day starts with 4 sets BB squats. After that superset body parts. Its been working great for me. I have also read that all of the greats before steroids used full body and that growth hormone is released on a larger scale when training this way. Like I said, it works for me, but may not for others. I just don't think full body just need to be "beginners only".
    Currently 185 lbs 13% bf
    Phase: slow cut

joshred4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What would you suggest for a good full-body workout? How many exercises per muscle group?

Always89Clutch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In my opinion if people would just use their own brain and think for themselves and stop relying on the internet for answers on common sense situations they would figure out that they already know what they are looking for. Even as a beginer in the world of body building/fitness if you think about getting started the first thing you need to do is build a "base" to build off of, a strong core, and an understanding of fundamental lefts and form. So natrually you would need to focus on whole body routines as aposed to splits. Im glad you posted this cause the mindless followers in our society need stuff like this to "guide" them.

anderlin83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) anderlin83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) anderlin83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) anderlin83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) anderlin83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) anderlin83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) anderlin83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) anderlin83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) anderlin83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) anderlin83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) anderlin83 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Bane11 View Post
    Full body workout are great for beginners, those coming back from a long layoff or just a change from doing regular splits.

Squats 2-3x8
    Calf raises 2-3x8
    Bench press 2-3x8
    Incline press 2-3x8
    Rows 2-3x8
    Deadlifts 2-3x8
    Front press 2-3x8
    Barbell curls 2-3x8
    Close grip press 2-3x8

Do 2 to 3 work sets of 8 reps to near failure. Once 8 reps are attainable increase weight.
    Lol this is entirely too much volume for a beginner..

EDT: if going a full body route, i would lower the amount of volume and up the intensity..

3 working sets per body part is plenty if the intensity is high..

Ex: bench press 3 x 10 reps, deadlift or row 3 x 10 reps, squat or leg press 3 x 10 reps with optional side work.... Mon/wed/fri
    Last edited by anderlin83; 06-02-2014 at 08:34 PM.

marketing1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) marketing1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) marketing1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) marketing1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) marketing1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) marketing1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) marketing1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) marketing1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) marketing1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) marketing1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) marketing1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I prefer full body

MadeWithBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) MadeWithBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) MadeWithBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) MadeWithBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) MadeWithBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) MadeWithBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) MadeWithBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) MadeWithBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) MadeWithBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) MadeWithBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) MadeWithBody is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Nice.

If people read stickies, we should sticky it. But we all know what happens to sticky threads...
    lol

mcmichab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post
    Full Body Routines vs. Splits

The question often arises, especially from beginners, about what type of routine to use. Your buddy told you to use a full body routine, but the muscle mags suggest a 5-day "bodybuilder" split. You don't want to start off on the wrong foot, but there is so much information out there that sorting through what to do can be difficult.

This is some of my opinion on the subject, and maybe it'll help a few people out.

Full Body Routines:

In my opinion, this is the place for a beginner to start. I have many years of lifting experience, and have pretty much always used some form of bodybuilding split routine. However, if I had it to do over again, I would have begun with a good full-body routine, built around the compound lifts, done 3 times per week. When you are a beginner you don't generally have the muscular strength to work intensely enough, or with enough volume, to require as much recovery time as someone who is stronger or more experienced. If you are a young beginner, on top of that, you have very good recovery abilities due to high hormone levels. So, because you are recovered relatively quickly after each workout, you want to stimulate each muscle group more often to induce strength and growth.

Another reason to start with a full body program is that this gives you the opportunity to learn and practice the basic lifts: squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, barbell rows, etc. Whether your goal is bodybuilding, strength athlete, sports, or just remaining fit, these really ought to form the basis of any routine. No matter what path you choose to "branch out" on later, these core lifts will serve you well.

2-Day Split Routines:

So the next question becomes: when should I think about split routines? In very simple terms, the answer is: when full body routines become too much. Usually, as you get stronger, it becomes very difficult to maintain enough energy to do squats, deadlifts, bench press, etc. all on the same day. You may also find that you want to add in a few isolation exercises to bring up your weak areas, or you may want to begin focusing more on each core lift. Another issue is recovery; as you get stronger, you are able to work out more intensely, and that means longer recovery times. So at that point, it makes sense to "split" things up by only doing a part of your previous full routine on any given day.

A logical place to make your first split is into an Upper / Lower type routine. This will have you doing your upper body work like bench press, rows, overhead pressing on 1 day, and your lower body work like squats on another day. Another way to go would be a "push/pull" type split where you do all your pulling exercises (rows, deads) on one day and your pushing exercises (squats, overhead press, bench) on another day. Exactly how you do it is up to you, but the point is to divide the workload per session. This will give you more time (and volume) per body part, and also give you a bit more recovery before you work that muscle again. Most people will typically cycle through a 2-day split like these twice per week. So instead of every muscle being stimulated 3 times per week with the full body, now it's twice per week with the 2-day split.

3+ Day Splits:

3, 4, 5 (or more!) day splits come in when you again feel the need to divide your workload to match your recovery abilities, or increase the amount of work you want to do on specific muscles or lifts. Generally, these type of splits are mostly bodybuilding related, but even strength athletes may chose to split so they can work on speed lifts one day, strength work another, etc.

At this point (speaking to bodybuilding) many lifters will only hit each muscle group once per week. This has the advantage of letting you really hammer a muscle group with a lot of weight and volume, and then give it plenty of time to recover while you're bringing the pain to the next group. Your full body effort is broken down into segments that are manageable from a workload, energy, and recovery standpoint.

If you are an "experienced" (older) lifter with decreased recovery abilities (we all ain't as young as we used to be), this type of split often is useful for staying healthy due to the increased recovery time per body part. The kids might not think it's important, but your tendons might.

There are so many variations of splits that I won't even attempt to detail all the possibilities. If you follow the advice in this post, by the time you need a multiple day split, you'll know your body, your goals, and have a pretty good idea of what you want to do.

Final Thoughts:

I believe it's a logical notion to start with a full body routine, and begin splitting only when you feel the need to increase your recovery or increase your volume. If you stick with the concept that you're trying to hit a muscle as often as you are able while still recovering adequately, and let that be your guide, you'll do okay.

Hopefully, this gives some food for thought to help you decide what type of routine you should use. Ultimately, however, it's worth saying that you can do fine with any well-designed program even if you begin with a split routine right from the beginning.

Repost from my thread in the Exercises Section...it's more applicable here.

what are your thoughts on doing both? Example:

day 1: upper body
    day 2: lower body
    day 3: off
    day 4: pull movements
    day 5: off
    day 6: push movements
    day 7: off

first 3 days are split, second 3 days (more) full body. I went to a conference where a trainer/physique model did essentially the above but he did 'pull' day1 and 'push' day 2

Registered User patientpredator's Avatar
    patientpredator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patientpredator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patientpredator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patientpredator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patientpredator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patientpredator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patientpredator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patientpredator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patientpredator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patientpredator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patientpredator is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hi Guys.

I'm relativey new to hitting the gym. Been back in the gym for about 8 months, but on/off due to serious arm injuries which have been ongoing (hopefully over now) for ~5 years.

I like the look of beginner workouts like Allpro, ICF 5x5 etc. The problem I have with them is that they're only 3 days ion the gym, whereas I'd prefer 5-6 days. So wondering if someone could recommend a good U/L or P/P/L that I could otherwise use. I know I'll probably be told that I'm wrong for wanting to do more days, but oh well.

Thanks in advance!

JessicaHawk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Singe03 View Post
    Actually I talked to a personal trainer right after I got my gym membership and got a "custom program to help me cut fat and gain muscle" but made next to no progress until I got a membership here and started reading and learning to sort through the bro-science to get to the basics.

In May I trashed more than 3/4s of what he had to say, did my best to educate myself, made my own diet plan, focused on compound lifts, dropped 35lbs then started on Starting Strength a couple weeks ago to build my strength up. I've pretty much figured out that the only things helpful about talking to that PT were learning how to adjust the seats on the machines.

This PT shouldn´t call himself PT - if thats the only advice he gave you.
    Check out my ******** page:
    www.********.com/pages/Jessica-Hawk/647883351934014?ref=hl

MCCoolGuyFresh is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MCCoolGuyFresh is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MCCoolGuyFresh is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MCCoolGuyFresh is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MCCoolGuyFresh is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MCCoolGuyFresh is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MCCoolGuyFresh is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MCCoolGuyFresh is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MCCoolGuyFresh is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MCCoolGuyFresh is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MCCoolGuyFresh is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by JaredPunch View Post
    The only problem I have with the notion that beginners need a full-body is the amount of time people think a beginner will get benefits exclusively from a full body.

So a very skinny teen who benches 70 x 10 pounds doesn't really need anything except squat, deadlift, OHP and bench 3x a week because benching 70 x10 won't bring him anywhere. But after few months when the same guy can now bench 150 x 10 I think it's time, if he is bored with the same stuff or is getting tired with all that squatting and deadlifting to split the routine, add more accessory exercises and so on because he might not be very strong but the work load is enough to get results from a more hypertrophy oriented routine.

Likewise a beginner who can already bench 150 x 10 (for example) like many naturally strong or new to weights not to sports guys, would need just a month on a strength routine to learn the form well but with that work load he could jump immediately to whatever split or bb oriented workout he likes.

So when people say "a beginner need a strength base" they should understand the context. Yes they need a strenght base when their 1RM is so low pumping weights is almost useless but that doesn't mean they need to become powerlifters before ever attempting to curl, french press, shrug and spend 1 year or more on a routine they don't like and feel it doesn't match their true passion.
    Well said man!

mikegyver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I like full body but some days I just can't do everything I want to do with intensity so that's when I pick two body parts to really blast. This morning I did squats and leg presses and didn't have much left in the tank so I did biceps and then called it a day. My body seems to respond best with fb but some days its just not in the cards.

a friend of mine responds best to splits so that's generally what he sticks with. I say find out what works best for you. When I hit a plateau splits usually get me over it.

I think both fb and splits are good and not one is best for everybody. Done properly they can both build muscle and either one is better than no workout at all.

Adiraccoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adiraccoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adiraccoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adiraccoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adiraccoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adiraccoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adiraccoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Speaking of training with seniority is not very big, his body does not require recovery of the whole week so you should do full body

MCCoolGuyFresh is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MCCoolGuyFresh is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MCCoolGuyFresh is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MCCoolGuyFresh is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MCCoolGuyFresh is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MCCoolGuyFresh is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MCCoolGuyFresh is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MCCoolGuyFresh is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MCCoolGuyFresh is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MCCoolGuyFresh is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MCCoolGuyFresh is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    What's the difference between full body routines 3 days a week on non-consecutive days and alternating between 2 workouts for 5 consecutive days? (legs one days and upper body on another)
    Muscles still get 1 day rest but you train more often per week. Also your workouts are not as long in the 2 day split, while in the full body workouts they can last over an hour.

Working out more often = More testosterone getting released?
    Shorter workouts = No muscle being catobolised for people with fast metabolisms.
    Looks like a win-win situation.
    Last edited by MCCoolGuyFresh; 06-23-2014 at 01:24 PM.

AFXC1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFXC1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFXC1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFXC1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFXC1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFXC1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFXC1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFXC1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFXC1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFXC1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AFXC1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The one thing we can all agree on from the general consensus that I see here is that it all really depends on your goal. Pretty much where you want it to lead should determine what course of exercises you choose to schedule yourself for the week. For me, since i'm serving in the Marine Corps Reserves I am inclined to choose a personal exercises program that can directly translate to what I do for training, as an infantryman. So what that means for my exercise choices, I need something that can equate to the same physical demands that requires me to push/pull the workload on an average training cycle.

So in conclusion, my choices of exercises may be more strenuous compared to someone who just wants to lose weight, or gain muscle, or 'look good'. To answer the question of the topic, I prefer a full body exercise regiment, versus the traditional split sessions that I once partook in my younger years. As I stated above, added stressors, and demands influenced changes in my exercise patterns, so I had to adapt to whatever the climate and/or nature of training my occupation revolves around. For ex:

This upcoming annual training will take place in a mountainous region and we will be conducting the majority of our training on foot so I will dictate my exercise routine to help prepare me for such an environment, and I will thus add these exercises into my routine:

-Pack hikes
    -Pack runs
    -weighted push ups
    -circuit training for a minimum of 3 miles(w/ pull ups, sit ups, push ups, leg raises, military presses 25-35 lbs for varying reps)
    -leg strengthening (squats, lunges, leg presses, stair climber, bicycling, incline walking)
    .:MiscMarioBrahs:.

0341 Infantry Mortarman

Philippians 4:13 We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us and without Christ we can do nothing! Joshua 1:9, Colossians 1:9-14
    Pray for all U.S. military troops at home and abroad in Jesus name.

Okay so beginners should do full body workouts 3 days a week because they recover faster than those with experience.
    Well then surely a 2 day split (upper and lower body) alternated on consecutive days must be best for beginners as well? The recovery time is kept the same, you just work out more often.

So the workout would look like
    Mon: Upper
    Tues: Lower
    Wed: Upper
    Thur: Lower
    Fri: Upper
    Weekend: Off
    Mon: Lower
    etc..

Someone please reply to this...
    Last edited by MCCoolGuyFresh; 06-28-2014 at 04:46 AM.

Originally Posted by MCCoolGuyFresh View Post
    Okay so beginners should do full body workouts 3 days a week because they recover faster than those with experience.
    Well then surely a 2 day split (upper and lower body) alternated on consecutive days must be best for beginners as well? The recovery time is kept the same, you just work out more often.

So the workout would look like
    Mon: Upper
    Tues: Lower
    Wed: Upper
    Thur: Lower
    Fri: Upper
    Weekend: Off
    Mon: Lower
    etc..

Someone please reply to this...
    I imagine one of the problems is that squats and deadlifts don't just work legs, they work the upper body as well. So you would end up overtraining. I bet the upper body day would be quite a bit longer than the leg day as well.
    Still, could it work?
    Last edited by MCCoolGuyFresh; 06-28-2014 at 05:01 AM.

BRENDON69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BRENDON69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BRENDON69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BRENDON69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BRENDON69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BRENDON69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BRENDON69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BRENDON69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BRENDON69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BRENDON69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I very much enjoy full body workouts.

AVB4592 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi guys a noob here in need of some advice. I've been going to the gym for the past 3 months now and followed a push/pull routine because I read it would be better to work the muscles twice a week. I enjoyed the routine but for some reason could not gain much strength,which made it impossible for me to do even a single pull up.

I spoke to one of the trainers today and told him about the little progress I had made and asked if he could help me out. He wrote me up a 5 day a week routine where I focused one muscle group a day.
    It goes like this-

Monday Shoulders
    Tuesday-Arms
    Wednesday-Legs
    Thursday- Chest
    Friday- Back

So my question is, do you guys think this new routine will help a person like myself with a skinny fat physique to gain some muscle and strength.

satoshii is on a distinguished road. (+10) satoshii is on a distinguished road. (+10) satoshii is on a distinguished road. (+10) satoshii is on a distinguished road. (+10) satoshii is on a distinguished road. (+10) satoshii is on a distinguished road. (+10) satoshii is on a distinguished road. (+10) satoshii is on a distinguished road. (+10) satoshii is on a distinguished road. (+10) satoshii is on a distinguished road. (+10) satoshii is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Bane11 View Post

Squats 2-3x8
    Calf raises 2-3x8
    Bench press 2-3x8
    Incline press 2-3x8
    Rows 2-3x8
    Deadlifts 2-3x8
    Front press 2-3x8
    Barbell curls 2-3x8
    Close grip press 2-3x8

Thanks for this program. Will also include it in my training next week.

Bono1994 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am a believer that working out is trial and error until you find that special workout. I have done plenty of workouts, including bodyweight and weights. I found this workout is a good one for someone, before anyone says its too much volume and too many reps, its silly, as long as your eating enough and getting enough rest you will be fine. Also you can do less exercises,reps or sets and it is your and your only workout. I think this workout has worked for me.

MONDAY-CHEST/BICEPS.
    10 SETS OF 10 REPS INCLINE DUMBELL PRESS.
    5 SETS OF 12 REPS OF DECLINE DUMBELL PRESS.
    50 REGULAR PUSH UPS (SHOULDER WIDTH).
    50 WIDE PUSH UPS (WIDER THAN SHOULDER WIDTH).
    50 DECLINE PUSH UPS (FEET ELEVATED ON OBJECT)
    5 SETS OF 10 BARBELL CURLS.
    5 SETS OF 10 DUMBELL CURLS.
    FINISHER: 100 PUSH UPS.
    TUESDAY-LEGS/CARDIO.
    10 SETS OF 10 REPS BARBELL BACK SQUAT.
    5 SETS OF 25 JUMP SQUATS. (BODYWEIGHT ONLY)
    5 SETS OF 20 BULGARIAN SPLIT SQUAT (20 EACH LEG)
    5 SETS OF 15 REPS HACK SQUAT.
    5 SETS OF 10 STIFF DEADLIFT.
    5 SETS OF 20 BARBELL CALF RAISE.
    FINISHER: 200 BODYWEIGHT SQUATS.
    20 MINUTE JUMP ROPE.
    WEDNESDAY- ABDOMINALS.
    10 SETS OF 50 BICYCLE CRUNCHES.
    10 SETS OF 20 OBLIQUE CRUNCHES. (20 EACH SIDE)
    5 SETS OF 8 HANGING LEG RAISE.
    10 SETS OF 15 WEIGHTED DECLINE SIT UPS.
    5 SETS OF 10 INCLINE LEG RAISE.
    5 SETS OF 10 LAYING LEG RAISE.
    5 SETS OF 15 AB ROLL OUTS.
    5 SETS OF 15 REPS CRUNCHES.
    5 SETS OF 15 REPS REVERSE CRUNCHES
    10 SETS OF 30 SECOND PLANK HOLDS. (RIGHT&LEFT)

THURSDAY-SHOULDERS/TRAPS.
    10 SETS OF 10 REPS MILITARY PRESS.
    5 SETS OF 15 UPRIGHT ROWS.
    5 SETS OF 10 DUMBELL PRESS.
    5 SETS OF 15 REPS ARNOLD PRESS.
    5 SETS OF 25 SIDE LATERAL RAISES.
    5 SETS OF 25 REPS REAR RAISES.
    5 SETS OF 15 BARBELL SHRUGS.
    5 SETS OF 15 DUMBELL SHRUGS.
    5 SETS TILL FAILURE HANDSTANDS.
    FRIDAY-BACK.
    10 SETS OF 10 OVERHAND BENT OVER ROW.
    5 SETS OF 15 REPS UNDERHAND BENT OVER ROW.
    5 SETS OF 15 DEADLIFT.
    5 SETS OF 15 ROMANIAN DEADLIFT.
    5 SETS OF 15 DUMBELL ROWS.
    8 SETS OF 10 REPS CHIN UPS.
    5 SETS OF 15 SHOULDER WIDTH PULL UPS.
    FINISHER: 50 PULL UPS.
    Originally Posted by SmallArms717 View Post
    Agreed.

Exactly what I did and I am 205lbs now up from 130 ( from 2 years ago ! )

Full Body -> upper/lower 3x a week -> body split each muscle 2x a week

: )

Good post

would rep u if I had rep that was worth a ****

mathias1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

how should i progress

I can't decide how to progress om my training. I want to get bigger faster stronger but i want to shred down from 15% to below 10%BF and stay there.

me:
    180 cm
    84 kg
    15% BF

stats:
    deadlift 160 kg
    benchpress 105 kg
    squat 80 kg. ( yes it's embaressing but that's what to much disco training do to you....)
    militarypress: 72,5 kg
    chins: 10 st on body weight.

My question is should i go for deff or bulk, size or strenght or combine? i realise i need a serious focus on squatting. I was thinking about doing PHAT by layne norton i'm used to do 4 times a week training. I have recently luxated my middlefinger so i can't do any heavy pulling movements for atleast 1 month(then i will try again and see. I'm not intrested in starting strenght. But i'm open to most other programs. i would like to do 4-5 times/week in the gym.

boycaron is not very well liked. (-100) boycaron is not very well liked. (-100) boycaron is not very well liked. (-100) boycaron is not very well liked. (-100) boycaron is not very well liked. (-100) boycaron is not very well liked. (-100) boycaron is not very well liked. (-100) boycaron is not very well liked. (-100) boycaron is not very well liked. (-100) boycaron is not very well liked. (-100) boycaron is not very well liked. (-100)
    Thank YOU

Jed135 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jed135 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jed135 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jed135 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jed135 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jed135 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jed135 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jed135 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jed135 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jed135 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jed135 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Full body workout is the best for me based on my personal experience. However, my specific goals are to get smaller.

I started out again after about 1 year break being like 223lbs at 6'2. So yeah, you could say pretty overweight. FB routine got me to about 214 in roughly a month, maybe month and a half. Thats after months of working out combining cardio and splitting (push/pull mostly).

Generally speaking, I figured I would be okay if I stick to doing the following every two days (sometimes every other day):

Squats/Deadlifts
    Bench Press (BB)
    Military press (BB)
    Pulldowns (alternating wide and narrow grips*)
    Seated rows (alt grips*)
    Dips
    Leg raises (for abs)
    BB curls/triceps rope pushdown**

*Alternating grips on different days, not in the same workout.
    **Rarely on the same day

Best decision I ever made regarding my workouts.