Reply
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Registered User OverHill's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2011
    Location: Utah, United States
    Age: 48
    Posts: 3
    Rep Power: 0
    OverHill has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    OverHill is offline

    Full Shoulder Replacement

    I am on my third, and hopefully last, shoulder surgery - the dreaded full shoulder replacement. First surgery (decompression, bone-spur scope): this was a good surgery for me to have as I was suffering from impingement. However, at the time that I had it, it was popular to have the "pain pump." Unfortunately, the pain pump ate away at my long biceps tendon and it snapped; hence surgery number two. Repair biceps tendon, and have shoulder scoped again. The doctor indicated I would need to have a shoulder replacement at some time in the future, as the pain pump also ate away my cartilage; bummer. Eight weeks after the second surgery I deployed to Afghanistan (let's just say war can reek havoc on a bad shoulder).

    Fast forward to November 4, 2011: full shoulder replacement surgery. Thankfully I was able to pay for one of the best doctors in my area to replace my shoulder. I now have a beautiful titanium humerus head (ball), and a composite glenoid (socket).

    The good news: after 4 years of sever pain (bone on bone friction), I am now pain free. One would think that a surgery of this magnitude would result in massive pain. However, the discomfort I feel now is relative to the severe pain I suffered through before; hence, no pain. More good news: my rotator cuff muscles were not damaged during anytime from the past. Therefore, I will be able to recover, and press on. Well, with the exception of having the subscapularis muscle, and the front delt muscle cut to access the shoulder joint. But, does that really count?

    I am in week two of physical therapy. The current goal is to passively (therapist assisted) externally rotate my arm to 30 degrees (I have already achieved the pulley assisted, vertical stretch of 90 degrees, and 90 degrees passively assisted rear stretch - also 90 degrees).

    Exercises: Static presses - abduction (placing pillow on wall and externally applying pressure into pillow - similar movement as a side-lateral lift), external rotation (same set-up as the abduction; however, the pressure is generated by the wrist into the pillow), flexion (facing the wall and pressing fist into pillow with elbow against torso), extension (reverse set-up as the flexion, with back to wall and pressing elbow into pillow), and of course pulley assisted lift; raising arm so elbow is parallel to the floor.

    The next four weeks will entail allowing the subscapularis and front delt to heal, while slowing increasing the stretching movements involved with physical therapy. PT is a must, as it will help to ensure the newly formed fibers/tissue will lay in a pattern to best allow for range of motion (hopefully as close to full range as mechanically possible).

    I wonder how much pressure the plastic composite socket can safely handle when I get back into the gym?
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User OverHill's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2011
    Location: Utah, United States
    Age: 48
    Posts: 3
    Rep Power: 0
    OverHill has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    OverHill is offline

    Thumbs up Update - December 30, 2011

    Originally Posted by OverHill View Post
    I am on my third, and hopefully last, shoulder surgery - the dreaded full shoulder replacement. First surgery (decompression, bone-spur scope): this was a good surgery for me to have as I was suffering from impingement. However, at the time that I had it, it was popular to have the "pain pump." Unfortunately, the pain pump ate away at my long biceps tendon and it snapped; hence surgery number two. Repair biceps tendon, and have shoulder scoped again. The doctor indicated I would need to have a shoulder replacement at some time in the future, as the pain pump also ate away my cartilage; bummer. Eight weeks after the second surgery I deployed to Afghanistan (let's just say war can reek havoc on a bad shoulder).

    Fast forward to November 4, 2011: full shoulder replacement surgery. Thankfully I was able to pay for one of the best doctors in my area to replace my shoulder. I now have a beautiful titanium humerus head (ball), and a composite glenoid (socket).

    The good news: after 4 years of sever pain (bone on bone friction), I am now pain free. One would think that a surgery of this magnitude would result in massive pain. However, the discomfort I feel now is relative to the severe pain I suffered through before; hence, no pain. More good news: my rotator cuff muscles were not damaged during anytime from the past. Therefore, I will be able to recover, and press on. Well, with the exception of having the subscapularis muscle, and the front delt muscle cut to access the shoulder joint. But, does that really count?

    I am in week two of physical therapy. The current goal is to passively (therapist assisted) externally rotate my arm to 30 degrees (I have already achieved the pulley assisted, vertical stretch of 90 degrees, and 90 degrees passively assisted rear stretch - also 90 degrees).

    Exercises: Static presses - abduction (placing pillow on wall and externally applying pressure into pillow - similar movement as a side-lateral lift), external rotation (same set-up as the abduction; however, the pressure is generated by the wrist into the pillow), flexion (facing the wall and pressing fist into pillow with elbow against torso), extension (reverse set-up as the flexion, with back to wall and pressing elbow into pillow), and of course pulley assisted lift; raising arm so elbow is parallel to the floor.

    The next four weeks will entail allowing the subscapularis and front delt to heal, while slowing increasing the stretching movements involved with physical therapy. PT is a must, as it will help to ensure the newly formed fibers/tissue will lay in a pattern to best allow for range of motion (hopefully as close to full range as mechanically possible).

    I wonder how much pressure the plastic composite socket can safely handle when I get back into the gym?
    Update - December 30, 2011
    I am very happy to report that the new shoulder joint is awesome! The time required for physical therapy was reduced from 12 weeks to 8 weeks. I credit this to having conditioned RCs prior to surgery. However, I am not out of the woods yet. I have a restriction from any type of chest exercises until the end of January. This time frame is required to ensure the Subscapularis RC (lies just below pec and front delt) has had amble time to mend, as this muscle is cut to access the shoulder joint. If I get too stupid, and try to push the clock I risk tearing the subscapularis, which would result in another surgery; this one would require taking a portion of the pec to repair the RC.

    More good news. I am able to perform free weight exercises (very light, 20 - 30 reps) to wake up the front, side, and rear delts. Additionally, I am performing biceps, triceps, and an array of back exercises as well. Granted all the aforementioned exercises are performed with very light weight, high reps, and slow movements.

    Sleep and daily activities: because I no longer suffer from the intense pain of bone-on-bone friction in the shoulder joint, I am again sleeping wonderfully. And, because I am getting great sleep, my eating habits are better (i.e. not craving carbs for energy due to lack of sleep), and my daily activities, such as work and communications with others do not seem so stressful.

    I will submit another update after I am released to begin pressing movements, and have some time under my belt. I predict the next update to take place around February.
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User prdfy's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2008
    Age: 48
    Posts: 31
    Rep Power: 0
    prdfy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prdfy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prdfy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prdfy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prdfy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prdfy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prdfy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prdfy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prdfy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prdfy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) prdfy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    prdfy is offline
    I was wondering how you're doing since your shoulder replacement? I had a total shoulder on January 31st and haven't been back for my post-op appt yet, so I am still confined to the brace and doing passive/assisted range of motion exercises for another week or so. I was also bone-on-bone for years, but mine was the result of arthritis since childhood. My doctor at Mayo said I shouldn't lift more than 25 pounds with that arm for the rest of my life or risk damaging the new joint. Did your surgeon tell you anything different?
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User djflats58's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2009
    Location: Missouri, United States
    Age: 60
    Posts: 22
    Rep Power: 0
    djflats58 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djflats58 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djflats58 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    djflats58 is offline
    I had a total shoulder replacement in 2004 and it was wore out by 2009. I lifted with the replacement but used mainly machines and light weight and high reps. I couldn't tell the shoulder "failed" because it never hurt, Long story short, the replacement failed, got infected and they had to rip out all of the hardware and now I'm left with a molded plastic spacer. The question I had other than why it "failed" was how about the infection? I guess I saw a total of 4-5 doctors and they think the "cup" of the replacement worked it's way lose but it wasn't visible on any x-rays. The doctors ran all kinds of test before they decided the replacement had to come out. None of the tests showed any signs of infection. The plan was to go in and replace the cup and zip it back up. The ball and rod in the humerus was still tight and in good shape. While I was opened up they took samples and did tests and the tests show a "small" infection. When they found the infection they were forced to rip it all out...the hardware. I guess the cup was loose and it eventually got the surrounding tissue "festered", causing an infection. I've had this plastic spacer in for 2 1/2 years now.
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User zgrcic's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2012
    Posts: 2
    Rep Power: 0
    zgrcic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    zgrcic is offline

    hows your tsr coming along?

    read your history and was interested how your TSR is coming along? are you able to lift heavier weights?
    swim play tennis etc?
    I am a very active guy and do some weight lifting to stay in shape. i am scheduled for a TSR by Dr Gerard Williams in Philly next month and getting cold feet!!!
    I can lift some weight not much now as its pretty severe but the thoight of all this is scaring me away.
    I am an x pro tennis player and all the years of swinging madly at a ball plus a crushing fall a few years ago toasted my shoulder. any insight would be much appreciated!
    thanks , Zivko


    Originally Posted by OverHill View Post
    Update - December 30, 2011
    I am very happy to report that the new shoulder joint is awesome! The time required for physical therapy was reduced from 12 weeks to 8 weeks. I credit this to having conditioned RCs prior to surgery. However, I am not out of the woods yet. I have a restriction from any type of chest exercises until the end of January. This time frame is required to ensure the Subscapularis RC (lies just below pec and front delt) has had amble time to mend, as this muscle is cut to access the shoulder joint. If I get too stupid, and try to push the clock I risk tearing the subscapularis, which would result in another surgery; this one would require taking a portion of the pec to repair the RC.

    More good news. I am able to perform free weight exercises (very light, 20 - 30 reps) to wake up the front, side, and rear delts. Additionally, I am performing biceps, triceps, and an array of back exercises as well. Granted all the aforementioned exercises are performed with very light weight, high reps, and slow movements.

    Sleep and daily activities: because I no longer suffer from the intense pain of bone-on-bone friction in the shoulder joint, I am again sleeping wonderfully. And, because I am getting great sleep, my eating habits are better (i.e. not craving carbs for energy due to lack of sleep), and my daily activities, such as work and communications with others do not seem so stressful.

    I will submit another update after I am released to begin pressing movements, and have some time under my belt. I predict the next update to take place around February.
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User zgrcic's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2012
    Posts: 2
    Rep Power: 0
    zgrcic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    zgrcic is offline
    Hi I read your story and was wondering how you are doing now?
    I am scheduled for a TSR next month and getting cold feet!
    Have you started to lift weights and is 25 lbs the limit??
    any insight from a post TSR patient would be very helpful,
    Thanks,
    Zivko
    Originally Posted by prdfy View Post
    I was wondering how you're doing since your shoulder replacement? I had a total shoulder on January 31st and haven't been back for my post-op appt yet, so I am still confined to the brace and doing passive/assisted range of motion exercises for another week or so. I was also bone-on-bone for years, but mine was the result of arthritis since childhood. My doctor at Mayo said I shouldn't lift more than 25 pounds with that arm for the rest of my life or risk damaging the new joint. Did your surgeon tell you anything different?
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    YUarppp HeyHOletsGO's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Posts: 77
    Rep Power: 130
    HeyHOletsGO is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeyHOletsGO is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeyHOletsGO is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeyHOletsGO is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeyHOletsGO is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeyHOletsGO is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeyHOletsGO is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeyHOletsGO is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeyHOletsGO is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeyHOletsGO is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeyHOletsGO is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    HeyHOletsGO is offline
    Holy crap a TRS sounds scary as hell. Man im gunna get my shoulder 100% before ima hit the gym again.
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User pwoodrum's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2013
    Age: 61
    Posts: 27
    Rep Power: 0
    pwoodrum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    pwoodrum is offline
    I know this post is a bit late for zgrcic, but I'll share my experience with TSR.

    Four years ago I took a fall and broke my right shoulder. Long story short, it was a mess and a total shoulder replacement was done. It took two days to get to surgery, thus a lot of swelling and trauma. so, my case may not be typical of a selective TSR.

    It took about 6 weeks before I could move from passive range of motion exercises to the active range of motion. It took about 6 months to be able to raise my arm straight up (sort of) over my head. I can reach behind my back, touch the back of my head and move the arm about the same as the other arm. I rotation inward, like holding a bar for a curl and moving the fist from my right side to the left, in normal. Rotation out is limited, but almost normal.

    Strength: the right shoulder can only handle about half the weight it sued to on delt exercises like side laterals and front raises. Bent over laterals are fine. I cannot do overhead presses because of rotation limitations.

    I don't do heavy bench presses with a bar. I do okay with machine presses going fairly heavy. Rowing and lat pulldowns are good, though the pulldowns do have some pain. I do dips pretty well, but use counterbalanced machine. I'm a little afraid of doing full bodyweight.

    I don't think I'll ever be able to get all the strength back. Probably tendon connection issues. But development-wise, the right delt doesn't look much different from the left, except for the scare.
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User drykilned's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2013
    Location: United States
    Age: 73
    Posts: 1
    Rep Power: 0
    drykilned has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    drykilned is offline
    I am 68, retired Air Force (1982), and retired from industry in Feb 2011. At retirement from the Air Force in 1982, I was given a 20% disability rating for
    my right shoulder with the option of having the shoulder "fixed". I was told at that time that there was a 50% chance that after the "fix" I would be
    unable to lift my arm above shoulder level. I took the disability. Fast forward to 2009. I was having trouble driving for more than an hour. My right shoulder was
    killing me and I could not sleep. Back to the doctor during a VA annual physical. They set me up for ortho eval. Got approved for VA funded total shoulder
    replacement. Dr. Aguero, of Valdosta, GA did the surgery in Jan 2010. He told me to do no more and no less than the rehab specialists requested. After the
    maximum of 12 weeks allowed by the VA, my rehab guy had me better than new! I now could move my arm and shoulder in ways I could not do 30 years
    ago! I bought a Bowflex and decided I would keep in shape in my old age. I worked out 1 hour a day 3 days a week religiously til current. I am now maxed
    out on the bowflex at 210 pounds, (all it has) for several exercises, one of which is bench pressing. I felt that this was maybe too much for the shoulder. After
    researching the internet I find that bench presses are supposedly a no-no after total shoulder replacement! It is also advises that pushups are okay! Does this
    make any sense to anyone out there? I do not want to quit. Any experts out there that can advise me how to get chest development without bench presse
    Keep advised that I do not have enough years left to do the surgery and recovery again without effecting my way of life. The only thing I was told I could not do
    after the surgery was contact sports. Of course, they never expected a 65 year old to start weight training as a way of keeping fit, I guess. Would appreciate
    any advice about pushups vs bench presses and how they affect the replacement.
    Last edited by drykilned; 06-30-2013 at 06:02 AM.
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Banned DrFlexologist's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2008
    Posts: 6,750
    Rep Power: 0
    DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    DrFlexologist is offline
    Originally Posted by drykilned View Post
    I am 68, retired Air Force (1982), and retired from industry in Feb 2011. At retirement from the Air Force in 1982, I was given a 20% disability rating for
    my right shoulder with the option of having the shoulder "fixed". I was told at that time that there was a 50% chance that after the "fix" I would be
    unable to lift my arm above shoulder level. I took the disability. Fast forward to 2009. I was having trouble driving for more than an hour. My right shoulder was
    killing me and I could not sleep. Back to the doctor during a VA annual physical. They set me up for ortho eval. Got approved for VA funded total shoulder
    replacement. Dr. Aguero, of Valdosta, GA did the surgery in Jan 2010. He told me to do no more and no less than the rehab specialists requested. After the
    maximum of 12 weeks allowed by the VA, my rehab guy had me better than new! I now could move my arm and shoulder in ways I could not do 30 years
    ago! I bought a Bowflex and decided I would keep in shape in my old age. I worked out 1 hour a day 3 days a week religiously til current. I am now maxed
    out on the bowflex at 210 pounds, (all it has) for several exercises, one of which is bench pressing. I felt that this was maybe too much for the shoulder. After
    researching the internet I find that bench presses are supposedly a no-no after total shoulder replacement! It is also advises that pushups are okay! Does this
    make any sense to anyone out there? I do not want to quit. Any experts out there that can advise me how to get chest development without bench presse
    Keep advised that I do not have enough years left to do the surgery and recovery again without effecting my way of life. The only thing I was told I could not do
    after the surgery was contact sports. Of course, they never expected a 65 year old to start weight training as a way of keeping fit, I guess. Would appreciate
    any advice about pushups vs bench presses and how they affect the replacement.

    Sounds like your shoulder is in pretty good shape--as is the rest of you! I only hope I am in as good of shape and in as good of spirit as you when I'm 68. Kudos to you for not wanting to quit....you shouldn't.
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    Registered User pwoodrum's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2013
    Age: 61
    Posts: 27
    Rep Power: 0
    pwoodrum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    pwoodrum is offline
    Originally Posted by drykilned View Post
    ... After researching the internet I find that bench presses are supposedly a no-no after total shoulder replacement! It is also advises that pushups are okay! Does this make any sense to anyone out there? I do not want to quit. Any experts out there that can advise me how to get chest development without bench presse Keep advised that I do not have enough years left to do the surgery and recovery again without effecting my way of life. The only thing I was told I could not do after the surgery was contact sports. Of course, they never expected a 65 year old to start weight training as a way of keeping fit, I guess. Would appreciate any advice about pushups vs bench presses and how they affect the replacement.
    Sounds like you're doing better than I am, and I'm quite pleased with my results.

    My surgeon gave me the same sort of advise. I asked him specifically about resistance training. He said he didn't want me bench pressing 300 lbs, sort of jokingly. He said to use common sense, no max rep stuff.

    I'm no expert, but I do a good many pushups. Bench presses don't work well for me due to shoulder rotation issues. If I could use one of the bars with the 45 degree grips, I would probably give that a try. As far as chest development, I stick with pec-deck machine and cable flies. I sometimes super set in pushups or dips.

    Good luck.
    Last edited by pwoodrum; 07-02-2013 at 08:52 AM.
    Reply With Quote

  12. #12
    Registered User AntiqueCarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2014
    Age: 70
    Posts: 3
    Rep Power: 0
    AntiqueCarGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    AntiqueCarGuy is offline
    I just found this forum and glad to see there are a few more guys like me. I am an avid weightlifter, former powerlifter and investor in a small health club chain. Numerous surgeries due to bone spurs and other skeletal issues and finally had my shoulder replaced by a very well known doctor in Chicago. This was in July 2012.

    My recovery was uneventful as it took 6 weeks before I felt I had made sufficient progress and it took 6 months before I did not pay any attention at all to the shoulder as it seemed basically normal. I decided I wanted to be the first to compete in bench press with an artificial shoulder. I worked out hard with a partner and made great gains in size and strength except in that shoulder. My left shoulder which also had a biceps tendodisis repair at the same time is just not responding as well and there is a light different in muscle mass between the shoulders. I can easily due high reps at lower weights and 50 or more push ups a snap.

    April 8th I will have to have my other shoulder replaced as the pain and movement have become unbearable despite the fact I still go to the gym. By the way, I am 66 years young and in the gym 5 days a week.

    It is comforting to know others are gambling like I am that lifting is a rational decision on our part. The fact is that it may not be good for us but know one knows since there are few who do it and no studies. I would love to see the doctor in ten years, still be in shape with no issues. The gamble for me is worth it at this age as lifting is my stress reliever.
    Reply With Quote

  13. #13
    Registered User Foreigner's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Florida, United States
    Posts: 949
    Rep Power: 194
    Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Foreigner is offline
    To those contemplating shoulder replacement due to cartilage loss. Please do yourselves a favor before committing to the life changing decision of having a prosthetic joint and research stem cell therapy for cartilage regeneration. See one example here (full cartilage regrow verified by MRI in a large lesion in the shoulder in 30 year old male): http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/i...?topic=61013.0

    There are several Doctors that specialize in regenerative medicine that do not cost an arm and a leg like Regenexx. One of those being Dr.Harry Adelson of Docere Clinics in Park City, Utah. This is the doctor that treated the subject in the link above.
    Reply With Quote

  14. #14
    Registered User Prettybustybimbo's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: Sparks, Nevada, United States
    Age: 45
    Posts: 66
    Rep Power: 0
    Prettybustybimbo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Prettybustybimbo is offline

    Wink Hi I hope you are still around I am getting a full shoulder replacement

    Originally Posted by Foreigner View Post
    To those contemplating shoulder replacement due to cartilage loss. Please do yourselves a favor before committing to the life changing decision of having a prosthetic joint and research stem cell therapy for cartilage regeneration. See one example here (full cartilage regrow verified by MRI in a large lesion in the shoulder in 30 year old male): http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/i...?topic=61013.0

    There are several Doctors that specialize in regenerative medicine that do not cost an arm and a leg like Regenexx. One of those being Dr.Harry Adelson of Docere Clinics in Park City, Utah. This is the doctor that treated the subject in the link above.
    I have one of the best surgeons in the west coast, and he said my shoulder was really messed up, do to not warming up and wrestling sexy wrestling and landed on my shoulder, anyway I am going to hate the 6 week sling. But any suggestions as far as physical therapy, I have beautiful arms and my right shoulder is messing up the look of my arm I should have gotten it done 3 years ago but didn't have insurance now I have the greatest insurance. Am I doomed? I am so scared. Plus I am like 48 FFFF that adds a lot of weight but I am leaving my beautiful boobs alone, I have always had a lot of weight chest wise since I have developed as an adolescent, so I have a really strong back, who thought that my shoulder would get hurt from wrestling!!!

    Please write back
    Anna
    So very proud of my very feminine body Stats: 46FFF Bust, 30 inch waist, 47 inch hips, cause of super wide hips and nice round bubblebutt. Work out hard too, making me so very sexy and my butt really tight, butt jiggly too, part of being feminine. It is really great to have a really stunning hourglass figure, don't wanna be size 3. All the really huge muscular guys really love my figure, tell me too.
    Reply With Quote

  15. #15
    Registered User RoscoeRocky's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2015
    Age: 58
    Posts: 1
    Rep Power: 0
    RoscoeRocky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    RoscoeRocky is offline
    AntiqueCarGuy, your posting enabled me to now seriously consider TSR. I've been putting it off in fear that I will not be able to continue my rigorous workout which is declining a bit due to my arthritic rt shoulder. I had to lay off the heavy weight lifting and got into all of the P90x and Rip60. I'm in the Chicago area and curious who performed your surgery? Would it be Dr. Romeo? Hope all is going well with your second TSR.
    Reply With Quote

  16. #16
    It's All About The U ToPHeR35's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2008
    Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Age: 31
    Posts: 14,220
    Rep Power: 23810
    ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ToPHeR35 is offline
    K
    Originally Posted by AntiqueCarGuy View Post
    I just found this forum and glad to see there are a few more guys like me. I am an avid weightlifter, former powerlifter and investor in a small health club chain. Numerous surgeries due to bone spurs and other skeletal issues and finally had my shoulder replaced by a very well known doctor in Chicago. This was in July 2012.

    My recovery was uneventful as it took 6 weeks before I felt I had made sufficient progress and it took 6 months before I did not pay any attention at all to the shoulder as it seemed basically normal. I decided I wanted to be the first to compete in bench press with an artificial shoulder. I worked out hard with a partner and made great gains in size and strength except in that shoulder. My left shoulder which also had a biceps tendodisis repair at the same time is just not responding as well and there is a light different in muscle mass between the shoulders. I can easily due high reps at lower weights and 50 or more push ups a snap.

    April 8th I will have to have my other shoulder replaced as the pain and movement have become unbearable despite the fact I still go to the gym. By the way, I am 66 years young and in the gym 5 days a week.

    It is comforting to know others are gambling like I am that lifting is a rational decision on our part. The fact is that it may not be good for us but know one knows since there are few who do it and no studies. I would love to see the doctor in ten years, still be in shape with no issues. The gamble for me is worth it at this age as lifting is my stress reliever.
    Midwest ortho?
    Reply With Quote

  17. #17
    Registered User AntiqueCarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2014
    Age: 70
    Posts: 3
    Rep Power: 0
    AntiqueCarGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    AntiqueCarGuy is offline

    Further info

    Originally Posted by ToPHeR35 View Post
    K

    Midwest ortho?
    So sorry I have not been back on this forum. Update. Yes, Dr, Romeo did my left shoulder and I wanted him to do the right shoulder but he does not take Medicare and I just did not feel like spending the money to pay him and fly back and forth. So I had my other surgery at Rothman Clinic in Philadelphia (2 hours from me)

    So now approaching 68 and maybe look better than at any time in my life. In the gym 5 days a week a train body parts twice a week only. Back is the widest it has ever been and biceps and triceps are getting strong as can be. My strength is finally getting back but flat bench seems to be harder than it should as my chest is strong and on machines I am using a ton of weight. So far doing all of this and feeling nothing unusual. I am experiencing no problems in daily life from the surgeries and still have a "dream" that I can compete in powerlifting one more time.

    Am I worried about the implant getting loose. Yes. But so far so good and quite frankly without being in the gym and lifting somewhat heavy my mental state would not be good. Members of my club have said I am an inspiration and I hope I am as it is important to stay active, keep your muscle mass and bone density intact.

    In each case my surgeries were mandatory. Driving was getting dangerous, sleep non-existent and pain was no fun. I have no regrets in this regard.
    Reply With Quote

  18. #18
    Registered User MartinD18's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2015
    Age: 55
    Posts: 4
    Rep Power: 0
    MartinD18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    MartinD18 is offline
    Thank God for this forum. I need both shoulders replaced, and finding others who have gone through this is comforting. 52yo, active in gym, also do Bikram (hot) yoga.My terror at having TSR is less now. I will continue to monitor this thread.
    Originally Posted by AntiqueCarGuy View Post
    I just found this forum and glad to see there are a few more guys like me. I am an avid weightlifter, former powerlifter and investor in a small health club chain. Numerous surgeries due to bone spurs and other skeletal issues and finally had my shoulder replaced by a very well known doctor in Chicago. This was in July 2012.

    My recovery was uneventful as it took 6 weeks before I felt I had made sufficient progress and it took 6 months before I did not pay any attention at all to the shoulder as it seemed basically normal. I decided I wanted to be the first to compete in bench press with an artificial shoulder. I worked out hard with a partner and made great gains in size and strength except in that shoulder. My left shoulder which also had a biceps tendodisis repair at the same time is just not responding as well and there is a light different in muscle mass between the shoulders. I can easily due high reps at lower weights and 50 or more push ups a snap.

    April 8th I will have to have my other shoulder replaced as the pain and movement have become unbearable despite the fact I still go to the gym. By the way, I am 66 years young and in the gym 5 days a week.

    It is comforting to know others are gambling like I am that lifting is a rational decision on our part. The fact is that it may not be good for us but know one knows since there are few who do it and no studies. I would love to see the doctor in ten years, still be in shape with no issues. The gamble for me is worth it at this age as lifting is my stress reliever.
    Reply With Quote

  19. #19
    It's All About The U ToPHeR35's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2008
    Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Age: 31
    Posts: 14,220
    Rep Power: 23810
    ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ToPHeR35 is offline
    Originally Posted by AntiqueCarGuy View Post
    So sorry I have not been back on this forum. Update. Yes, Dr, Romeo did my left shoulder and I wanted him to do the right shoulder but he does not take Medicare and I just did not feel like spending the money to pay him and fly back and forth. So I had my other surgery at Rothman Clinic in Philadelphia (2 hours from me)

    So now approaching 68 and maybe look better than at any time in my life. In the gym 5 days a week a train body parts twice a week only. Back is the widest it has ever been and biceps and triceps are getting strong as can be. My strength is finally getting back but flat bench seems to be harder than it should as my chest is strong and on machines I am using a ton of weight. So far doing all of this and feeling nothing unusual. I am experiencing no problems in daily life from the surgeries and still have a "dream" that I can compete in powerlifting one more time.

    Am I worried about the implant getting loose. Yes. But so far so good and quite frankly without being in the gym and lifting somewhat heavy my mental state would not be good. Members of my club have said I am an inspiration and I hope I am as it is important to stay active, keep your muscle mass and bone density intact.

    In each case my surgeries were mandatory. Driving was getting dangerous, sleep non-existent and pain was no fun. I have no regrets in this regard.
    Yup.

    Both of my shoulders are messed up and I'm going to see him hopefully some time next year to repair the one for sure and see about the other. I need another hip surgery before then so I have to wait. He's only accepting BCBS PPO next year and nothing else...Thanks Obama
    Reply With Quote

  20. #20
    Registered User AntiqueCarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2014
    Age: 70
    Posts: 3
    Rep Power: 0
    AntiqueCarGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    AntiqueCarGuy is offline
    Originally Posted by ToPHeR35 View Post
    Yup.

    Both of my shoulders are messed up and I'm going to see him hopefully some time next year to repair the one for sure and see about the other. I need another hip surgery before then so I have to wait. He's only accepting BCBS PPO next year and nothing else...Thanks Obama
    You might be happy you have waited. Romeo is doing a study on a new less invasive prosthetic. Not sure I would want it but I remember seeing him in the 90's when he told me there was nothing new in shoulder surgery and now there are options. Best of luck.
    Reply With Quote

  21. #21
    Registered User supernova1021's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Posts: 1
    Rep Power: 0
    supernova1021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    supernova1021 is offline
    Searching info on bodybuilding with a TSR, I found this thread.

    I was a competitive NPC bodybuilder from 2000 thru 2012. During that time I did six shows and also competed in powerlifting. Shoulder started giving me problems in 2010 but I grinded thru it to do my last BB show in 2012. Popping, catching and pain so intense I couldn't sleep at night. Broke down and went to ortho doc and was told arthritis had completely degenerated all cartilage and there was no other option other than a TSR but to put it off as long as possible due to my relatively young age for a surgery like that (I am 40).

    Held off for two months and made the appointment. BEST thing I ever did. After two years of terrible pain, it was gone. Began rehab/therapy at home immediately and within six weeks I was bench pressing very light dumbbells. Surgery was six months ago and I'm in contest prep mode for a show in 5 weeks.

    Can I train upper body as heavy as I used to? NO. Will I ever? NO. Can I do all the movements I used to? NO. And I'm fine with that. If anyone out there is told that a TSR is the only option, I can tell you two things that has helped me the most: DO NOT BE LAZY WITH YOUR REHAB. Sure it will hurt a little but there are no free lunches in nature. Have to deal with some pain to get the range of motion and strength back. If you don't, you will not ever get it back. And PROPER NUTRITION IS KEY. If you lay around for weeks after your surgery eating like crap, it will heal like crap and take a lot longer. Maybe never healing properly. During your rehab, remember that you still have one good arm and two good legs. Get your butt in the gym and do SOMETHING to increase blood flow throughout your body.
    I've had a few surgeries due to weak tendons from lifting over the years and a TSR was the easiest to come back from.
    Reply With Quote

  22. #22
    Registered User allessior's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2012
    Posts: 4
    Rep Power: 0
    allessior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) allessior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) allessior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) allessior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) allessior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) allessior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) allessior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) allessior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) allessior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) allessior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) allessior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    allessior is offline
    Well, my orthopedist said, "Absolutely not!" when I asked him if I could weightlift after total shoulder replacement (in my case. reverse total arthroplasty because the rotator is completely shredded). He said there are certain things you can do, like the sled instead of squats, and limited "push" execises with very light weight, like simple flies with no more than 20lbs or dumbell press with no more than 20lbs. This is a killer for me, a lifelong bodybuilder.

    You would think that squats would not be off limits, since the weight is on the trapezius, not the front deltoids and not on the shoulder joints, but he said the weight load may start on the trapezius but it is distributed throughout the back and shoulder, so there is high risk of damage to the cup and titanium ball.

    I now have to learn an entirely new regimen for muscle development but without heavy or even moderate weight. If anyone has bodybuilding experience with shoulder replacement, can you reply to my post with a suggested plan? Cardio alone is not the answer as those of us in bodybuilding know full well.
    Reply With Quote

  23. #23
    Registered User sowilson's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2014
    Age: 59
    Posts: 3,939
    Rep Power: 7564
    sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000)
    sowilson is offline
    Get in touch with Louie Simmons
    Reply With Quote

  24. #24
    Registered User JD2C's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2018
    Age: 48
    Posts: 1
    Rep Power: 0
    JD2C is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    JD2C is offline
    Hello OverHill,

    Just got back-to-back total shoulder replacement as well and been looking around for some insights in regards to powerlifting, I was very surprised not to find any 2018 forum/discussion on this topic with the exception of this thread which dated 2 years ago now. This is exactly what I was after. Assuming that you're still active out there, wonder if you can share an update on how it's going for you? I'll have more questions :-)
    Reply With Quote

Similar Threads

  1. "Weightlifter's Shoulder" - Distal Clavicle Osteolysis - Resection Surgery
    By grebnehtor in forum Injury Recovery And Prevention
    Replies: 954
    Last Post: 10-28-2018, 01:22 PM
  2. Tips on shoulder reconstruction recovery?
    By scottsc in forum Over Age 35
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-10-2011, 01:15 PM
  3. Replies: 39
    Last Post: 05-01-2011, 06:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts